Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Didn't really think Holos needed even more punch but, hell, I'll take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Powerman 5000 (Unreal)

https://twitter.com/FFXIV_Kelly/status/779181586629570560

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Gonna plaster my walls with Tataru posters.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Dareon posted:

Gonna plaster my walls with Tataru posters.

She would consider that a gross misuse of funds. :colbert:

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

the DRG change is really funny

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I didn't see any indication in the patch notes that anything related to the Island Sanctuary is gated or limited by daily/weekly grinds (good) aside from having a challenge log entry or two. Was there anything in the Live Letter to indicate it'd be set up like that, or is it a pure "do castaway hermit poo poo at whatever pace you want" sort of deal?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Man, there sure are a lot of quests before you unlock the expansion areas and can continue the true main thrust of the game: crafting.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Vermain posted:

Didn't really think Holos needed even more punch but, hell, I'll take it.

"Oh really? I mean I just wanted a little more mana back on Gall spenders but if you insist..."

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I've wanted a barding like this for literal years

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Thundarr posted:

I didn't see any indication in the patch notes that anything related to the Island Sanctuary is gated or limited by daily/weekly grinds (good) aside from having a challenge log entry or two. Was there anything in the Live Letter to indicate it'd be set up like that, or is it a pure "do castaway hermit poo poo at whatever pace you want" sort of deal?

My assumption (and it is only an assumption) is that the materials will be time-gated. We'll need to wait for animals/plants to produce items to upgrade stuff, and I also assume that the spawn of random detritus around the island that we can collect will likewise be something that shows up over time.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Dirk the Average posted:

My assumption (and it is only an assumption) is that the materials will be time-gated. We'll need to wait for animals/plants to produce items to upgrade stuff, and I also assume that the spawn of random detritus around the island that we can collect will likewise be something that shows up over time.

I suppose I'll just have to wake up a little early and get to it before work, just in case there's a weekly timer that expires around 10 AM Central like there is for tribal quests.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Weekly timers are 3 am central normally, with daily timers cycling at 10 am.

Edit: iirc grand company turn ins are a weird exception cause they cycle at 3 pm central each day, but it's been a minute since I've done those.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

There isn't any way to tell if a slipstream in pvp belongs to a friendly SMN or an enemy one, is there? Because I've never noticed, which makes it pretty funny that you now get a buff for standing in a friendly one. Will this help or hurt me? It is a mystery.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Enemy ground effects are usually red and undetailed with red bars around them.

I don’t know if slipstream is an exception or that’s not a standard thing.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Vargs posted:

There isn't any way to tell if a slipstream in pvp belongs to a friendly SMN or an enemy one, is there? Because I've never noticed, which makes it pretty funny that you now get a buff for standing in a friendly one. Will this help or hurt me? It is a mystery.

Enemy AoE fields including Slipstream have vertical bars in them that yours do not. It would be nice if there was a way to color code them though.

bobtheconqueror posted:

Weekly timers are 3 am central normally, with daily timers cycling at 10 am.

Edit: iirc grand company turn ins are a weird exception cause they cycle at 3 pm central each day, but it's been a minute since I've done those.

Whoops, I meant daily.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Can I get a plaid lumber jack shirt in this game

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

enemy slip stream looks like odin's cage from Smite

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

BLM continues to be perfect

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The alps have been retconned from ff14 lore.....

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

SuperKlaus posted:

Can I get a plaid lumber jack shirt in this game

The Flannel or Wool Suspenders (Flannel is dyeable, wool is not) have plaid cloth dangling around your hips, like you took your lumberjack shirt off and tied the sleeves around your waist.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Need something to do during Maintenance? Ol' Sanguinia has you covered! Stormblood LP is back again with more Ruby Sea than you can shake a stick at.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Good timing!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Patch is downloadable.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hogama posted:

They did actually put their rationale for changes on the Job Guide main page.
https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/jobguide/battle/

There's one for PVP, too, I just capped the PVE page.

Paladin was untouched for PVP.

Oh I was too lazy to update my DRG bars because of the duplicate Jump/Mirage Dive buttons... my sloth has paid off

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kerrzhe posted:

enemy slip stream looks like odin's cage from Smite

My discord calls it rebar, we had trouble describing it before then and the general response is "oh... how did I miss that?"

Bahamut does not get one.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
9th Anniversary sale starts when servers come back up, so if you've been looking at boosts or something, time to get in :toot:

Klewer
Dec 26, 2012

Maint ending time rescheduled to 10 minutes from now

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It's up.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Hogama posted:

It's up.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hogama posted:

It's up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Careful. Looking at items pretty much instantly spoiled who the new Trial is if you want to avoid that.

Klewer
Dec 26, 2012

Normal mode Abyssos gear does have the glowing effects, if anybody was worried about that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also they added crafted Titania weapons. No Sage or Reaper natch.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Taking a look at the items available from the Island Sanctuary currencies, and there's these:

That's quite the selection!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Roach Warehouse posted:

I have a Crystalline Conflict question that's probably difficult to answer and/or telling on myself, but it's patch day, so whatever.

I got into the mode recently because I want that 200 wins airship mount, and found it really surprisingly fun, but I don't think I'm very good at it!

I mostly play Scholar and Machinist, and I've watched some videos on them to learn about their kits. I try to prioritise the Crystal and sticking with my team, but my score just seems to be pretty bad most of the time. In a losing match, I'm usually at the bottom and in a winning match I'm usually around halfway, which I assume means bottom of the winning team.

Without seeing me play, I'm sure it's hard to pick out where I'm going wrong, but are there any common mistakes I might be making, or some element of the score system I'm overlooking?

I'm going to assume your Scholar play is fine in that you are soaking the enemy in aoe DoTs that debuff their damage and spreading shields to your team that buff your damage, and dropping a big fairy on crystal engagements? SCH memes high numbers... in FL, where I'll be throwing my DoT into crowds on cooldowns. Otherwise it takes a bit to learn when you can safely drop mummify which you want to do to help confirm kills with the debuff and the bit of burst. But nobody ever lit up the leaderboards casting a healer filler nuke! They help, but numbers aren't going to tell here.

For MCH you want to maximize uptime without exposing yourself to getting killed. Easier said than done especially with the need to cycle Bioblaster. It's a generalized skill, pvp awareness and positioning, that you can improve with playtime, just be aware of opportunities to drop bio for free. Did you see somebody a bit too far forward? Bio, Scattergun. Everybody occupied in the point? Analysis, Bio, Scatter, the ol' overtime special.

Note that your numbers will always be bad if the teams are lopsided. If you find yourself forced back to spawn just to avoid dying then yeah, don't worry about numbers. Thems the RNG breaks.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

ImpAtom posted:

Also they added crafted Titania weapons. No Sage or Reaper natch.

any pictures? wanna check out the drk sword

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the first very long cooldown on building things i found on the island sanctuary is about 11 hours for a 'landmark;' with other new buildings supposing to be 2-3 hours. crafting tradable goods in your mammet workshop is also real-time, 4-6 hours (but you can schedule making stuff, and you can run it concurrently if you have multiple workshops)

i imagine most people are gonna dive right into the sanctuary when they get on today anyway, but if you need more reason to prioritize it, there you go

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Unless there's a daily grind mode locked behind an hour+ of touching island grass, it looks like there's nothing to intice you to do x things per day or lose out on some reward. The only interruption to your pace is having to hit Island Sprint every 20 seconds (it should be a toggle).

Truly a paradise.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Dirk the Average posted:

Thundarr posted:

I suppose I'll just have to wake up a little early and get to it before work, just in case there's a weekly timer that expires around 10 AM Central like there is for tribal quests.

So, a quick explanation of things after completing the tutorial. There's some stuff that's not immediately apparent, so I'll be guessing on some things. No story spoilers, just mechanics so anyone that wants to go in blind can.

The basic, starting gathering stuff isn't timegated at all. There's tons of gathering nodes, and they work like DoL nodes in that they respawn after gathering from a certain number of other nodes, no timer.

There is a timing aspect in crops, since they need to grow, and your livestock, since they need to be fed and kept happy.

The biggest limiter is going to be your Sanctuary Rank, which governs unlocked tools, structures and land development. Doing the tutorial gets you to Rank 4, which doesn't unlock much. You don't get a pickaxe, for example. Well, a better hammer, I guess. The resource I thought you got Copper from is apparently something else, but the basic point is still true.

You get 10 Island EXP per gather in the wild, even if you get multiple items in a single gather, but getting to Rank 5 takes 13500 EXP so that's not really sustainable. My assumption is that your crops, livestock 'leavings' and handicrafts are going to be the biggest source of EXP. All of which take time, so I'm only guessing and don't know for sure.

Crops and livestock are pretty straightforward, but the Handicrafts are where I think the bulk of complexity wound up. Each good takes a number of Earth hours to complete (the starting ones are 4 and 6 hours, I don't know if there's others), and you can set a schedule of crafting up to two weeks in advance. These items are then sold to merchants in Limsa Lominsa, the price varying on current popularity. You can guess at future prices based on the supply and demand shift each 'Cycle' (24 hours, while a 'Season' is a week). I don't know if getting a better price gets you more EXP.

Edit:

Thundarr posted:

The only interruption to your pace is having to hit Island Sprint every 20 seconds (it should be a toggle).

Yeah, I had the same thought. At least mount speed is very fast on the ground.

Onean fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Aug 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh I should not have underestimated this island, looks like I'm in this for the long haul now