Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

i will simply become a gazelle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Confusedslight posted:

So is the idea that the idea of making out a living wouldn't be possible when the global and local infrastructure collapses? Starvation doesn't sound that fun ngl.

Of course it will be possible for whoever survives. Whoever survives the collapse of civilization will be completely random though. We've all seen too many movies where we think it'll be like one day there's civilization and then suddenly most of the people are dead there's a handful of survivors. The shelves in the shops are still full of stuff to scavenge, all the hobby farms, and prepper stashes haven't been long since been raided or commandeered by governments desperatly trying to hold things together etc. It's going to be decades of horrors and tribulations until the human population finds a new stable point.

But don't worry you'll almost certainly die from drinking dirty water before you starve to death.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Samuel Glompers posted:

Lmao there's that bizarre attitude again. I guess the tough guy eff u doomer stuff helps you cope with disaster? Whatever you need to get by man, like I said we're all cracked here

I’m cringing into a whole new era

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Nobody is gonna admit to it, but all the survivalists itt are just looking forward to that sweet sweet Survivavl Sex

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Samuel Glompers posted:

I don't really agree, I think most people rationalize their desire to live on some level or another after grappling with a search for meaning and purpose in life, and that the biosphere collapse short circuits a lot of those rationales that people would otherwise never examine too closely. There is a reason the thread policy is that you should not kill yourself.

I'm also clearly not alone in not wanting to trudge on in the doom, plenty of posts about planned or existing drug hoards and booze hoards for whenever things get too grim.

Survivalist mindset is sincerely interesting to me, I'd love to hear a biosphere collapse prepper wax philosophical about the whole thing

What I meant was that they don't need to rationalise it to you.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Confusedslight posted:

So is the idea that the idea of making out a living wouldn't be possible when the global and local infrastructure collapses? Starvation doesn't sound that fun ngl.

could you do it right now? like, literally, go get a vehicle, buy whatever you need, and drive out into... wherever, and just start surviving. you're not allowed to spend money after your initial purchase unless you manage to find other people off the grid to trade with.

ok now try and do this off the cuff, but for fun your money is no longer good anywhere due to collapse so you have to make a go of it surviving in the wild, and also every other person on the planet is hungry and also trying to do the same thing you're doing.

hard mode: the collapse starts in november so you have to survive winter first

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
the cringe we rely on for our everyday lives is coming back to haunt us. Where do you think all the failpills in the ecosphere come from?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

the most accurate future hypothesis thats ever been made in this thread was the one about either being the mad max warlord, or being the skull hood ornament on the mad max warlord's car

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
THERES CRINGE IN THE FOOD SUPPLY :negative:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
are you loving stupid man? its clear to everyone with half a brain that the cringe spill from the fail of 2009 has had some of the strongest repercussions in the environmental unbasedness of Our Modern World. I swear to god i m gonna loving kill you

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
theres traces of cringe in 95% of the male populations testicles. Our next generations will be born with fail defects. Cool and Good :cool:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Cringe eruptions from tectonic fail-plates have been speeding up due to our meddling with the Eco System.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
THERE IS CRINGE IN THE WATER :negative:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
oh so you think you can undo some cringe by doing small acts of win and basedness? lmao. youre gonna become fail like a dog when the bio system collapses, and itll be all the more sweet to see you struggle. i can barely contain myself

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Oh, yeah, the governments plan to re-base the cringefied tundra lol because that will absolutely do something. We're all gonna loving die dude. Hell, I might get to kill you myself when i ransack your carefully collected based supplies. lol, lmao

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I... I just can't.......... theres.... THERES CRINGE IN THE SHRIMP :negative: cringe in the shrimp...

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
they feed us cringe
so we buy their winpills
while they suppress our based

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

ArfJason posted:

they feed us cringe
so we buy their winpills

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

ArfJason posted:

they feed us cringe
so we buy their winpills

huh this one is actually pretty good

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
guys. guys. *snaps fingers in front of your face* guys. factories output 95%+ of the worlds cringe so nothing you do will impact the fail footprint on the environment, you fell for the lobbyist propaganda lmao

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

as someone who worked BOH at a seafood restaurant, de-cringing shrimp loving blows

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

ArfJason posted:

they feed us cringe
so we buy their winpills

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

best run of my life this morning

I shed some of my coping mechanisms while I still could two weeks ago

no alcohol, no nicotine, day eleven now

went out at sunrise, made it to the neighborhood park, took the long way

squats, push ups, pull ups on the monkeybars

ran back and had some peanut butter on homemade whole grain crackers, a glass of goat milk, and some apples that came off the neighborhood fruit trees I keep alive

we had more rain in the middle of this thousand year drought than we’ve had in recorded history the last few days, so about a century

IPCC models for rainfall changes are staying true, just happening many decades sooner

aquifer is recharged, municipal wastewater treatment is off-grid, we just need people to stop flushing disinfectant wipes; system would run easier if they did

coax internet has been down since sunrise, so I’m staying connected via the cell towers, but I know there’s satellite dish internet in the trunk if I need to pull it out, and we have a packet radio transceiver on the local amateur array, I still need to get that TTY server up so I can have lynx ready to browse locally

all in all, not a bad morning in the mountains

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Unless posted:

coax internet has been down since sunrise, so I’m staying connected via the cell towers, but I know there’s satellite dish internet in the trunk if I need to pull it out, and we have a packet radio transceiver on the local amateur array, I still need to get that TTY server up so I can have lynx ready to browse locally

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Chad Sexington posted:

overnight collapse is largely the stuff of fiction...

A massive CME that takes out satellites in orbit would do it, or the Kessler Effect can kick in to accomplish the same. Yellowstone blowing overnight would do it as well. That's stuff we don't have control over. A large nuclear exchange or large-scale EMP, or other electricity crippling, attacks would create immediate localized collapses.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

ArfJason posted:

they feed us cringe
so we buy their winpills

lol

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Unless posted:

best run of my life this morning

I shed some of my coping mechanisms while I still could two weeks ago

no alcohol, no nicotine, day eleven now

went out at sunrise, made it to the neighborhood park, took the long way

squats, push ups, pull ups on the monkeybars

ran back and had some peanut butter on homemade whole grain crackers, a glass of goat milk, and some apples that came off the neighborhood fruit trees I keep alive

we had more rain in the middle of this thousand year drought than we’ve had in recorded history the last few days, so about a century

IPCC models for rainfall changes are staying true, just happening many decades sooner

aquifer is recharged, municipal wastewater treatment is off-grid, we just need people to stop flushing disinfectant wipes; system would run easier if they did

all in all, not a bad morning in the mountains

https://www.livejournal.com/

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

OhFunny posted:

Chinese scientists clear blue-green algae bloom from massive lake with cheap ‘sterilisation’ boat

China has figured out how to combat algae bloom. They basically pop the air bubble that holds it afloat and it sinks into the deep and dies.

that so metal

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Catboy Slim posted:

i would simply choose somewhere safe when the earth turns into an oven

live in a qanat imo

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

CODChimera posted:

worst case scenario you can at the very least plant potatoes

true, historically this has always worked out

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I would report ArfJason but I think that endlessmonotony has over the last few pages made clear that the cringe crisis is very real and affects even this thread so I think it's important we hear about it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I would report ArfJason but I think that endlessmonotony has over the last few pages made clear that the cringe crisis is very real and affects even this thread so I think it's important we hear about it

lmao

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
crossposting from the gardening thread, but I did four containers worth of potatoes in my garden this year and I basically just got back the seed potatoes I chitted + 1

gigantic waste of time and Matt Damon lied to me

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Chad Sexington posted:

crossposting from the gardening thread, but I did four containers worth of potatoes in my garden this year and I basically just got back the seed potatoes I chitted + 1

that scene was especially funny since his soil would have completely drenched in chlorates. also i never quite got why he was so upset about his poo poo bacteria going away, because he was still making GBS threads

hekaton
Jan 5, 2022

sure wish i could understand what the hell was going on with my life
so i could be properly upset when things happen

Chad Sexington posted:

That happened to me last time I planted potatoes, basically the cut up chunks of potato I put in the soil just converted over months into nice small round potatoes.

Essentially all I did was launder my potatoes

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha'apai generated a 90m tall and 12km long tsunami wave.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0029801822014810?via%3Dihub

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
THERES CRINGE IN THE TROPOSPHERE :negative:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

hekaton posted:

That happened to me last time I planted potatoes, basically the cut up chunks of potato I put in the soil just converted over months into nice small round potatoes.

Essentially all I did was launder my potatoes
Did you do the thing where you mound up dirt/straw onto the stem as it grows? I hear that's how you get a good crop but I haven't tried it yet.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

ArfJason posted:

THERES CRINGE IN THE TROPOSPHERE :negative:

Don't worry, we can boil it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

skipmyseashells posted:

https://twitter.com/nasaearth/status/1559949430974988291?s=21&t=aXMpbeTgCX3pOD9DijJuEA

food inflation in the Horn of Africa is probably all time now already because of this

Look it's simple. Just tell Bob Geldof that Ethiopia needs its white saviour to write a condescending, colonialist trash fire of a song to fix things again.