Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
A Static Shock film would be a license to print money for literally any other company but :lol: WarnerBros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
On the other hand, the drafts for a Static Shock film would be a treasure of bad stereotype writing

Enter VIRGIL HAWKINS. His drip is off the hook, with lightning bolts shaved into his flat-top hairdo. His circle of friends, outcasts, are supportive, and burst into laughter when Virgil utters his catchphrase "GET CHARGED, YO"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Static Shock did have to deal with some rights issues over the past couple of years but I believe they're all sorted now.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Static Shock did have to deal with some rights issues over the past couple of years but I believe they're all sorted now.

Hopefully they haven't hosed over McDuffie's estate too much like they did with Chadwick's fiance?:unsmith:

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
we're never getting the Dakotaverse in DCEU, are we?...

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The Dave posted:

I really wouldn’t be surprised if someone on Depps team was getting paid to put out a social media campaign.

It didn’t help that Heard’s lawyer seemed like a random woman she found in the grocery store.

There was literally a right-wing PR campaign that was ran against Heard and in support of Depp so…

Close enough?

https://www.vice.com/amp/en/article/3ab3yk/daily-wire-amber-heard-johnny-depp

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

Hopefully they haven't hosed over McDuffie's estate too much like they did with Chadwick's fiance?:unsmith:

p. sure it came out that mcduffie's widow was getting nothing out of any milestone revival

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

p. sure it came out that mcduffie's widow was getting nothing out of any milestone revival

gently caress em:bang:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
ah here it is, from a 2017 law suit

quote:

The suit alleged the defendants put their interests ahead of the McDuffie estate. Other allegations included intentional interference with prospective economic relations, fraudulent conveyance and civil conspiracy.

While at Dwayne McDuffie’s wake, Hudlin spoke with Cowan and Dingle about “restarting” Milestone Media, according to the suit, which said Hudlin had no connection to the company before McDuffie died.

Meanwhile, Charlotte McDuffie reached out to Cowan and Dingle after her husband’s death to learn more about his estate’s financial stake in Milestone Media, according to her court paper. The two pretended to cooperate, “yet engaged in stalling and stonewalling tactics designed to inhibit Charlotte’s investigation” while plotting to form a new “sham entity” that would deprive the McDuffie estate of its 50 percent interest in Milestone Media, the plaintiff alleged. They did just that in 2013 by forming Milestone Media Co. LLC, the suit stated.

this lawsuit prevented the original planned 2017 Milestone revival from happening

then in 2021 Cowan says this

quote:

During a DC press conference attended by CBR, Cowan spoke about how McDuffie's influence would continue to be felt in Milestone's comics and movie projects. "Dwayne McDuffie was such an important part of what we did. He was such a linchpin in how we started and the architect of so much that happened with Milestone, that it's impossible to continue without the DNA of what he did, in almost everything that we've done and what we're doing now," Cowan said. "So in that sense, yeah, we're continuing the legacy of Dwayne McDuffie, because it's inherent in all the characters that came out of that first incarnation of the Dakota Universe."

quote:

"You'll notice some things. You'll see [it] on the first Hardware cover. You'll see some tributes to Dwayne in unexpected places. Our fallen colleague is never far from our hearts ever. He's very close to what we do. Charlotte, his widow, is wonderful. We're all good with her, and the McDuffie family and Milestone will go forward in the future and keep forging our path together. That's what's going on with the family. That's what's going on with Dwayne’s legacy. It's solid with us."

that's only two years after the lawsuit was settled so who knows what the gently caress is going on at this point

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Is Geoff Johns still with the DC Movie production side? Because the only downside I can see about cancelling the Flash movie is if he's still there, then he'll insist that any future Flash movie has to be based on "Flashpoint".

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Davros1 posted:

Is Geoff Johns still with the DC Movie production side? Because the only downside I can see about cancelling the Flash movie is if he's still there, then he'll insist that any future Flash movie has to be based on "Flashpoint".

I mean if he doesn't I'm sure someone else will. For better or for worse, it's become a very popular story. PLUS, it involves alternate universe shenanigans, and as Disney/Marvel are (insistent on) showing, multiverses are hot right now.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Weirdly the Flash is the only upcoming DC movie other than aquaman 2 and joker 2 the musical that Johns isn't a producer on.

Which you think he would be since he wrote what was probably the second most memorable Flash run.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Davros1 posted:

I think Johns still has a title there, but it is not clear who is actually "in charge" of coordinating the DC Movies. My impression was always that his position was essentially "here is a guy you should talk to if you are making a DC movie, and his name should be in the credits" and not "Here is the person you need to impress or you will not get funding for your movie". The former can be highly influential if you have worthwhile things to say. I don't think Johns has that in him

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

StumblyWumbly posted:

I think Johns still has a title there, but it is not clear who is actually "in charge" of coordinating the DC Movies. My impression was always that his position was essentially "here is a guy you should talk to if you are making a DC movie, and his name should be in the credits" and not "Here is the person you need to impress or you will not get funding for your movie". The former can be highly influential if you have worthwhile things to say. I don't think Johns has that in him

Yeah, he's nowhere doing the same type of thing as Kevin Feige does.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

StumblyWumbly posted:

I think they still want Hamada to be their Feige?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Gaz-L posted:

I think they still want Hamada to be their Feige?

They just let Hamada go lol.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

RevKrule posted:

They just let Hamada go lol.

They're going to bring EVS on. LIke can they get any worse?

What? They annouced Joss Whedon will be directing a 4 new wonder woman movies?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1561926902008320002?t=ZTTjJDCzvaNYU1u3gYf5Sw&s=19

I wonder what he means by this.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 23, 2022

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Probably means that once WBD decided to cancel the movie and take a tax write-down on it, they nuked all of the working files from their servers (since once the tax write-down decision is made, they can't legally release it in any form).

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

This is a cool suit,shame about the one wearing it

Also gently caress WBD

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Yeah, it sucks that the movie got scrubbed, but him not getting his hands on it probably saved some poor soul from getting nuked by discovery’s legal team for leaking it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

And if you keep a copy of your work they'll plant stories accusing you of stealing it.
Your own movie.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Timby posted:

Probably means that once WBD decided to cancel the movie and take a tax write-down on it, they nuked all of the working files from their servers (since once the tax write-down decision is made, they can't legally release it in any form).

Yeah I was thinking that or maybe they just lost access. I hope the movie isn't gone forever.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah it’s probably more that it was moved from whatever storage they had access to.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

The shittiest part of deleting everything is now you have a whole host of people, above and below the line, who worked on the movie for a long period of time who don't even have rough footage for their reel. So now they get to explain a long gap in their work with "trust me, I really did work on that movie" or worse, maybe they felt it was honestly the best work they've done and they have absolutely no way to show that for future jobs.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

RevKrule posted:

The shittiest part of deleting everything is now you have a whole host of people, above and below the line, who worked on the movie for a long period of time who don't even have rough footage for their reel. So now they get to explain a long gap in their work with "trust me, I really did work on that movie" or worse, maybe they felt it was honestly the best work they've done and they have absolutely no way to show that for future jobs.

The silver lining is that because of this whole situation, if someone ever asks them if the movie on their resume was ever actually real, then they can just tell them to google "Batgirl" and they will have 10,000 articles about how WB/D dumped a nearly finished movie.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
To get the tax write off, WBD needs to argue that they are getting no value for all the money they put in to the movie, not now not ever. Making any other argument is tough because they don't know if they could release a brief clip as part of an ad for something else, but then the clip really blows up and what they thought would be a $50k ad is now really worth $1mil, so that could really change their write off in the past.

From the accounting side, trying to get anything out of the movie is expensive and a management headache, and that's ignoring the possibility that people find out they killed a good movie.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Declare the movie a write off. That it is of no value and destroy all the copies of it.

Then "whoops, a copy got leaked online. Now that the film is on the Internet, it truly is worthless. Who would pay for this movie now that it is on the Web?"

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Seeing some twitter people with big restorethesnydercut profiles gloating about Batgirl's deletion. Huh.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Fangz posted:

Seeing some twitter people with big restorethesnydercut profiles gloating about Batgirl's deletion. Huh.

Those people are so plainly vengeful idiots that it feels almost unfair to even associate them with Snyder fans. And that's ME saying that!

They don't care about anything other than some weird idea of punishing Hamada and Warner Bros. by proxy. Even "restoring the Snyder-verse" is secondary to puffing up the unbelievably rich CEO who's going to maybe hurt the person who slighted them. It's really weird.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fangz posted:

There is a segment of Snyder fans whose interest in the Snyderverse is basically just a Sports Team/I Have Free Justification To Harass.

They are about as relevant to people who like Snyder movies as people complaining about vagina bones are to JRPG fans

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That one doesn't work because vagina bones was satire, and none of them understand what that is.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Fangz posted:

What social media do you look at to seek out all of these morons?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You know I'm going to take a wild guess here and say Twitter.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I'm relieved that I don't get the vagina bones reference, but also kind of sad that I am too nervous to google that at work to figure it out.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Mr Hootington posted:

What social media do you look at to seek out all of these morons?

If the algorithm on twitter or instagram or YouTube or literally any other social media site determines you have even a passing interest in pop culture, then you’re bound to have extremely online dc bros pop up in your feed eventually.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'm relieved that I don't get the vagina bones reference, but also kind of sad that I am too nervous to google that at work to figure it out.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
edit: well gently caress you then I'm not leaving that on my post history lololol

I still have trouble processing it as satire because I've seen so much worse that wasn't

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Aphrodite posted:

That one doesn't work because vagina bones was satire, and none of them understand what that is.

That person's twitter feed is like 99% retweets of anime girls.

I highly doubt that the vagina bones post was 'satire'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a meme from some anime years before Tokyo Mirage Sessions.