Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

They might not know which swear word to start with.

"Have too many words"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

therobit posted:

Just who is the intended market for this vehicle?

Bro-holes.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

PITY BONER posted:

I don't remember if it was posted here or on reddit, but some guy got a dent and/or scratch in his (Tesla's) door and took to the dealership to see about getting it fixed. They quoted him something like $15k because they were only able to replace the entire door.

I just assume that if someone gets into a fender bender in a Tesla they'd have to mark it off as "totaled" and buy a new car out of pocket.

I work in auto insurance.

Even before covid specific supply chain issues popped up they told us all in training that a tesla claim was going to cost more than most and take longer than anything else you come across. Repair shops were flat out refusing to work on em since they would often sit in storage for months.

Having a tesla on your policy, at my company anyway, means your deductible starts at $2,000.00. No exceptions. Insurance companies hate these fuckin things too. On the flip side: some models come with plenty of dash/rear view cameras for accidents. Lots of owners get caught lying when the footage comes out. It owns.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

JossiRossi posted:

Is it design disruption, or did someone's computer lag swapping out LOD models while gaming and they had a big brain moment?

Whatever it takes for cars (that are also good cars) to look actually different, I'm highly appreciative of.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
A Tesla owner got his car key installed in his hand
https://www.reddit.com/r/WTF/comments/wvfmwn/a_tesla_owner_spent_400_to_have_his_keys/

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

chaosbreather posted:

Whatever it takes for cars (that are also good cars) to look actually different, I'm highly appreciative of.

How hard do you have to tweak your brain every time you have to look at that thing and go "well at least it's good for the industry"

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I just want them to at least start doing things like creative prewar paint jobs. Hell, if we're at the point that we need to spend a few grand on a ding then bring back the color shifting paint from the 90s

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Heath posted:

How hard do you have to tweak your brain every time you have to look at that thing and go "well at least it's good for the industry"

lmao the body is an exoskeletal frame made of cold-rolled stainless welded together, it doesn't have an internal frame, and according to Tesla the steel is so hard it breaks stamping presses.

Pretty sure it's incapable of passing NTSB collision testing, but it's also probably never going to get to that point in the first place.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I want them to make cars that do good autopilot so I can nap on the way to places and only die in a really serious incident.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

he's also moving to texas because he loves doing it raw and not dealing with the likely outcome.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I'm disrupting car design for the better!

JossiRossi fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 23, 2022

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

JossiRossi posted:

I'm disrupting car design for the better!

Hurl it at the windshield

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

goatface posted:

I want them to make cars that do good autopilot so I can nap on the way to places and only die in a really serious incident.

Tesla is the “Semi-Homemade cooking with Sandra Lee” of AI, they take some garbage off the shelf and slap it together and it kills children. Google will probably be the company to make useful AI (but they’ll use it to make your life worse).

Also letting people nap in their car while it drives them places will literally cause the destruction of the planet because of over consumption, whether it’s with EVs or not, because all that power has to come from somewhere. Plus we will probably blow up the moon to get more raw materials for batteries or something.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

you will never be able to safely/assuredly nap in a vehicle you are piloting, even if it is riding on rails and powered by the smartest AI of the day, hth

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We just need to stop humans driving and link all vehicles through the ubiquitous colony AI.

Also we all live in space colonies.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
tesla self driving will only be supported on mars

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Any other form of travel between buildings and habitats will be banned, so the streets will be perfectly safe.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

The Washington Post posted:

Tesla is demanding an advocacy group take down videos of its vehicles striking child-size mannequins, alleging the footage is defamatory and misrepresents its most advanced driver-assistance software.

In a cease-and-desist letter obtained by The Post, Tesla objects to a video commercial by anti-“Full Self-Driving” group the Dawn Project that appears to show the electric vehicles running over mannequins at speeds over 20 mph while allegedly using the technology.

quote:

Regulatory and police agencies have urged users not to involve children in tests or attempt to simulate safety demonstrations, which are conducted under strict, tightly controlled sets of conditions.

That did not stop one Tesla superfan from conducting a test involving a child in an attempt to prove that “Full Self-Driving” Beta is safe, after the parent agreed to sit behind the wheel for the demo.

quote:

The letter demands the campaign immediately remove the videos and accused the group of “unsafe and improper use” of FSD Beta. “Your actions actually put consumers at risk,” Tesla alleged.

Cease-and-desist orders sometimes precede a lawsuit, but can also be used to convince an opponent to back down under the threat of legal action.

O’Dowd dismissed the order.

“This letter is so pathetic in terms of whining: Mr. Free Speech Absolutist, just a crybaby hiding behind his lawyers,” O’Dowd said in an interview. (Musk has said he supports free speech and welcomes criticism.)

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Heath posted:

Hurl it at the windshield

you throw ninja rocks at car windows not bricks.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

mdxi posted:

“This letter is so pathetic in terms of whining: Mr. Free Speech Absolutist, just a crybaby hiding behind his lawyers,” O’Dowd said in an interview. (Musk has said he supports free speech and welcomes criticism.)

Is O'Dowd a judge? Calling out Musk as a whining crybaby is an :iceburn: and I'm here for it

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

koshmar posted:

Is O'Dowd a judge?

No, he's the guy who made the video and is refusing to take it down. Sorry for leaving that part out.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006
It's a bit like Coca-Cola telling you Pepsi is rat poison. If you were Pepsi, you'd be suing yesterday.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

lDDQD posted:

It's a bit like Coca-Cola telling you Pepsi is rat poison. If you were Pepsi, you'd be suing yesterday.

Coca-Cola releases a video demonstrating that Pepsi is factually poisonous to rats, even in microscopic quantities

Pepsi fans: "This is defamatory and actually endangers consumers!"

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Pepsi has expensive lawyers though so it actually enjoys legal rights

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They wouldn't throw down, it would cost too much and achieve nothing. Much easier to squabble endlessly in the world of social media and public perception. Helps to keep the little people entertained and interested.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
Elon still pushing the Mars meme because it's the only thing he has left.

https://twitter.com/cotatopunt/status/1564211389148921860

Musk fans are deranged.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Spaceships =/ rocket science

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

are you sure that one isn't a joke? "Build a spaceship it isn't rocket science" is pretty humorous

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
1 million people.

Assume they're at it like rabbits and half the million are deformed Martian children.

As current large rockets can seat ~4 to transfer orbit, lets be generous and call it 5, that would require 100,000 launches, discounting fuel, supplies, losses etc. I make it 10,350 days until 31 Dec 2050, let's knock off about 6 months for final group transit and 6 months off the start for them to announce their super new colony building plan and transit vessels. Call it 10,000 days.

10 super-heavy a day, every day.

Needs elevators imo. Good ones.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Brother Tadger posted:

Spaceships =/ rocket science

Technically they're the more difficult rocket engineering.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

goatface posted:

1 million people.

Assume they're at it like rabbits and half the million are deformed Martian children.

As current large rockets can seat ~4 to transfer orbit, lets be generous and call it 5, that would require 100,000 launches, discounting fuel, supplies, losses etc. I make it 10,350 days until 31 Dec 2050, let's knock off about 6 months for final group transit and 6 months off the start for them to announce their super new colony building plan and transit vessels. Call it 10,000 days.

10 super-heavy a day, every day.

Needs elevators imo. Good ones.

You are discounting the colonists having 50 babies each like Musk

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
You can also send pregnant women to Mars, doubling your passenger capacity!

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

At this rate the colonists will all be Musk offspring.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Wasn’t there already a dumb Mars launch plan where they outright said at least half of you will die before you make it to mars, and still got people signing up for it?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Send a 95/5 female/male split and do the scifi eugenicist forced-arranged-marriages for several generations so nobody fucks their half-sibling?

That sounds like the sort of thing he'd be into.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Hell, I’d be into those kinds of odds too!

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

bobjr posted:

Wasn’t there already a dumb Mars launch plan where they outright said at least half of you will die before you make it to mars, and still got people signing up for it?

Was that the trip being arranged with the explicit purpose of it being funded by broadcasting everything as a reality tv show?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Mars One. It was a pretty good scam for getting money out of investors.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I can't wait until Elon Musk dies never having slipped the surly bonds of Earth's gravity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I can't wait until Elon Musk dies never having slipped the surly bonds of Earth's gravity.

Somehow I only realized just now that he hasn't even gone on an orbital shot in his own company's spacecraft. I can't believe you let Bezos and Branson show you up like that, man!