Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Dongicus posted:

lmfao but also lol at the op closing their thread

I imagine the entire thread would still be mired in discussion of the nazi NPC, even if he wasn't in the game. Maybe OP recreated the thread later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Heath posted:

Clicked their history and naturally they went on to have a sparse posting career in CSPAM but this

from an old Trump thread has got me wondering what this rant was

I remember it. It wasn't funny or entertaining, it was someone very much in need.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

Talking about threads where bizarre poo poo comes out of nowhere made me remember the one strange/terrible/funny thing that happened in The Game Room once, which killed a thread in 6 posts:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3526864

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I literally did a :kstare:

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Heath posted:

Clicked their history and naturally they went on to have a sparse posting career in CSPAM but this

from an old Trump thread has got me wondering what this rant was

here's the text since I think the post is archived. Too good not to share, I remember this rant lol

Cardinal Ximenez posted:

Honestly, I took a good look at FYAD to try and make sense of the nearly endless hordes of pieces of poo poo that dehumanize anyone who is not a white heterosexual cisgender man with the correct interests and value preferences. I shouldn't have to say that loving unironically. I really shouldn't.

GBS, currently, is worse. It is not being 'invaded' by FYAD. FYAD seems to have its own idiosyncratic, but restrained problems. A 'joke' is made, and with two or three emptyquotes, forever complete. All mockery is ephemeral, any repetition deliberate and patterned. However pointless, they are finite. Ending. Yielding.

The current GBS inhabitants let loose from their cages are now flinging poop, as mere animals, who exist only to eat, gently caress and sleep, incapable of self-actualization, only subsisting on the approval of peers for the psychological maintenance of their purposeless existence. Any threats to change this cycle in any way must be met with hostility, for they are the products of billions of years of self-replication, unable to transcend the bounds of their instinct.

The fact that they are in any way proximal to civil society is dangerous. Even if nominally confined to one forum, their toxic thoughts will lend an air of respectability to behaviors unwanted everywhere else.

There are now almost 80 people on my ignore list, up from a previous count of around 4. Each and every one, as far as I can tell, is a worse poster than a guy who raped an 8-year-old. Such things, I would hope, would be nigh impossible. But human decency is so easy, yet so far out of reach, that anyone with a modicum of empathy or consciousness can obtain it, and thus by corollary, that those posters do not possess such things.

This is our community, not theirs, and we will not yield to such filth.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

lmao nevermind, he must have at least two crazy rants out there, that one's good

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

lol

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Talking about threads where bizarre poo poo comes out of nowhere made me remember the one strange/terrible/funny thing that happened in The Game Room once, which killed a thread in 6 posts:

I freaking LOVE goons

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Bonus lol at the two goons so down bad for a game they both agree to give the Nazi character a go.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Goons own lmao

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Paladinus posted:

I imagine the entire thread would still be mired in discussion of the nazi NPC, even if he wasn't in the game. Maybe OP recreated the thread later?

The OP did re-pitch the game a while later, mercifully nazi-free. I saw it in the archives when I was looking for the older thread. I'm sure it lasted like 7 pages because that's how PbPs be.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I've read a lot of stories like that, where someone runs a game and one person plays a character that's absolutely horrible. The longer it goes unchallenged the harder it is to remove, so props to that OP for immediately shutting it down entirely tbh

It's like that nazi bar story in a way

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

lol

i also still love the ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT incident where a superintelligent robot toaster was submitted to a GURPS rome game, but i can't find it

You know, I really liked not knowing what was behind that red text. It was an absolutely perfect object when it had no context and I was left to idly wonder why someone was so upset that they had to spend ten bucks to remind that guy that Rome did not, as far as we know, feature robots. I always read it in an angry Joey Pants voice. Flat tops and robots, two things we're reasonably sure ancient Romans were unaware of, but this dude needs to be forcefully reminded. It's that important.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Nuns with Guns posted:

lmao

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

You know, I really liked not knowing what was behind that red text. It was an absolutely perfect object when it had no context and I was left to idly wonder why someone was so upset that they had to spend ten bucks to remind that guy that Rome did not, as far as we know, feature robots. I always read it in an angry Joey Pants voice. Flat tops and robots, two things we're reasonably sure ancient Romans were unaware of, but this dude needs to be forcefully reminded. It's that important.

This is the danger of reading about sagas. Sometimes you learn a truth about one of your fav stories or forums quirks that ruins it for you.

Still fun if you love drama but don't want to actually get involved

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

owned

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the worst part of the sagas thread is when it's someone i know, imo

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The rome did not have robots fuckwit guy posted afterwards for a real long time and seem pretty nice and well adjusted too, which made dragging around that redtext for years and years all the better

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

PYF Saga

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
By 2025, they'll start releasing cards that come with a book.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The new joke set involves putting stickers on cards to change them lol

Vvvvvv wait really that owns lol

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 23, 2022

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Snow Cone Capone posted:

And some of the sticker cards are legal in non-joke formats

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'm more partial to cards like this.

This card should also be legal, imo.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Yeah they're making all the cards black bordered this time, if they have an acorn-shaped holofoil stamp they're only joke legal but if they have a regular stamp they're legal in legacy/vintage/commander. It's kinda nuts

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
what happened to Pick? I think they got banned, but why?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CoolCab posted:

it's really really long, but it's a pretty standard forum style time travel game where people are dropping their otherwise pretty normal characters at which point someone unironically drops

Harrow posted:

OP proposes a pretty fun-sounding time traveling PBP game:

Two people propose some pretty great character concepts, and then:

Thank you both

What the christ

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Paladinus posted:

I'm more partial to cards like this.

This card should also be legal, imo.

This also made me lol. GJ thread

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

what happened to Pick? I think they got banned, but why?

They just stopped posting because people were weird to them. They had an alt, "Choose"? I think? they used for a bit. They had some medical problems that gave them brainworms (i got them too, not calling them out), but it def seemed like posting less would lead to better mental health for them. I'm 99% sure not posting anymore was their choice.

They also posted a pic of a gun and a taser and i think pepperspray? all wrapped up into one superweapon with fancy washi tape which was amazing.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
thinking about that goon that almost killed themselves by burning a kfc firelog in their apartment...

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Desert Bus posted:

They just stopped posting because people were weird to them. They had an alt, "Choose"? I think? they used for a bit. They had some medical problems that gave them brainworms (i got them too, not calling them out), but it def seemed like posting less would lead to better mental health for them. I'm 99% sure not posting anymore was their choice.

They also posted a pic of a gun and a taser and i think pepperspray? all wrapped up into one superweapon with fancy washi tape which was amazing.

I got a fun PM from her when I got modded. That was after like months of her not posting. Not even sure how she found out.

My own Pick saga was being invited to her dead g-ma's house to dig up a bunch of raspberry bushes.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

My favorite pick story is an entire thread trying to explain to her why simply leaving a note that says "please don't touch" on her taxidermy collection is a better idea than a full paragraph explaining how fragile and valuable they are, run through Google translate into Spanish because of course a building maintenance crew needs a detailed explanation and won't understand English

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

of course pick had a taxidermy collection

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
i just remember her stalking the guy in a wheelchair

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
If you're gonna post about Pick it's a good idea to try and find the original quotes. It's been a massive game of goon telephone for years about her.

Pick posted:

Does anyone here speak Spanish? I don't know what other threads are fast but I have some folks coming to do maintenance tomorrow and tomorrow they're going to be in my place, and I would like a sign that says "you are welcome to look at all the taxidermy but please do not touch" but have it written nicely, because that's the policy for all visitors but I want them to know they can look at it when I'm at work and tat's ok.

e: to clarify I know they are spanish-speaking because they've been here for a few days, only now they'll be inside

I don't know anything about the wheelchair guy, and it might've been a gimmick to piss people off rather then real

Pick posted:

I'm good lookin and tried to no-strings bang a weird wheelchair bound guy for literally over ten years, it's just not that hard for a dude to get laid, man

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mycroft Holmes posted:

i just remember her stalking the guy in a wheelchair

I think later on Pick herself said it was some kind of a gimmick, and she didn't actually chase an autistic paraplegic man under a caravan with her sexual advances. Probably was one of the threads about the dude who sent her weird PMs. True or not, Pick sure is a character.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sometimes pick was an extremely good poster and sometimes she was an extremely bad poster. I can't really decide whether I think the forums are better or worse off without her here. Certainly less entertaining though.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

pentyne posted:

If you're gonna post about Pick it's a good idea to try and find the original quotes. It's been a massive game of goon telephone for years about her.

I don't know anything about the wheelchair guy, and it might've been a gimmick to piss people off rather then real

Fair but in my specific case I think I was pretty accurate in my recollection

e: I guess I left out the part where she felt she needed to give permission for people to look at things lol

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
pentyne am I allowed to submit a request for when some dude stumbled into the Buddhism thread claiming to have reached enlightenment while aggroposting and Ruddha just slamming them into the pavement

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lady Radia posted:

pentyne am I allowed to submit a request for when some dude stumbled into the Buddhism thread claiming to have reached enlightenment while aggroposting and Ruddha just slamming them into the pavement

Just what you're supposed to do when you meet the Buddha on the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

The Shortest Path posted:

Sometimes pick was an extremely good poster and sometimes she was an extremely bad poster. I can't really decide whether I think the forums are better or worse off without her here. Certainly less entertaining though.

I didn’t know her but any thread she posted in immediately became about Pick - often through no fault of her own because she had both fans and weirdo detractors that would follow her around the forums.