Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
If i were to configure an electric rwd moto as I pleased I'd put a twist throttle and front brake on the right like normal. On the left I'd put a rear brake handle and also a thumb "throttle" to modulate the regen. I'd do gently caress all with my feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

With regards to confusing a left hand rear brake with the clutch - hasn't occured to me yet. I switch a lot between motorcycle and bicycle, and on the bicycle my rear brake is on the left. I've never attempted to pull it when shifting gear on my bicycle.

What i do occasionally try to find is my indicator switch and my mirrors. All bicycles should come with little bar end mirrors imho.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

LimaBiker posted:

What i do occasionally try to find is my indicator switch and my mirrors. All bicycles should come with little bar end mirrors imho.

Recently fitted one to my bicycle and yeah, I don't understand why all of them don't have one it's such a no brainer.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Bikes in americastan have the controls inverted. rear on the right, front on the left. Always takes a sec to get used to it.
Why is the front end chattering? Oh, right.

LHRB on dirtbikes/supermotos rock. I want to fasten one to the 950 eventually. Probably around the time I upgrade the clutch basket before it explodes on me.

If I ran bar end mirrors Teslas and ram2500s would knock em off.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Wait, what? Are you saying bikes outside of america have the rear brake on the left and the gear shifter on the right? And the clutch is on the right hand?

Or, we're talking like pedal bikes?

Edit: Disregard, mechanically there's no friggen way on a motorcycle.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 21, 2022

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
There's a front page brake?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
motorcycle controls are for the most part universal and written in blood.

bicycle controls have two differing setups. also sometimes resulting in blood loss.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There's an OTB lever and a layerdan pedal, make your choice snowflake

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

cursedshitbox posted:

motorcycle controls are for the most part universal and written in blood.

I have one of the exceptions to that rule.

1950 BSA. Shifter and rear brake pedal are on opposite sides. Handlebars are normal.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Most British bikes had right side foot shifters up until a certain point. Bultaco and Montesa also used it for a long time.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Or, we're talking like pedal bikes?

Here in northern Eurostan pedal bikes universally have the front brake on the left side. When I started learnign to ride motos I reconfigured all my bicycles thinking I would avoid confusion. In reality I probably just caused more confusion for myself but after a year and a half I have finally learned to ride bicycles with front brake right. It was never a problem finding the brake on a moto even as a meganoob. The brain is all like "hey new skill lets learn this" but re-learning an old ingrained skill is hard.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Most British bikes had right side foot shifters up until a certain point. Bultaco and Montesa also used it for a long time.

You could buy a royal Enfield with British style controls up until recently, newest I've seen was a 2015

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Slavvy posted:

You could buy a royal Enfield with British style controls up until recently, newest I've seen was a 2015

Do you mean, it was a dealer option? Or a specific model? (As far as I know, here in the US at least, the controls were government-standardized. So, maybe it isn't like that in other parts of the world)

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Anyone a member of american motorcyclist association\AMA? It worth it? Go to events and stuff? It looks kind of neat.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slide Hammer posted:

Do you mean, it was a dealer option? Or a specific model? (As far as I know, here in the US at least, the controls were government-standardized. So, maybe it isn't like that in other parts of the world)

No idea, just worked on a few. They were all owned by Indian immigrants and at least one was definitely an import that he brought in himself cause he bragged about it. I'm guessing it's an India only thing. He said that traditional controls and engine is roughly like a Harley with a springer and suicide shift culturally, but I've never been to India so idk. I don't think we have legally standardized controls but I've never looked into it; you certainly don't need to do anything special to register one if you bring it in as long as it passes the relevant emissions standards.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

My bike was found! Somebody got pulled over while riding it, a county away from me. According to the impound yard it's in great shape, no obvious damage other then the drilled out ignition, even has my plates still on it. Waiting on insurance to go appraise it but sounds like I might get some more riding in this summer after all :dance:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Yeah!!! Great news!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

bizwank posted:

My bike was found! Somebody got pulled over while riding it, a county away from me. According to the impound yard it's in great shape, no obvious damage other then the drilled out ignition, even has my plates still on it. Waiting on insurance to go appraise it but sounds like I might get some more riding in this summer after all :dance:

That's great news!

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
That is amazing. I hope the dude goes to prison.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
That's great. I've always wondered how you "clean" a stolen bike, but in this case it was just YOLO.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

You know the bike market is hosed when a dude is thrilled to get his stolen beginner bike recovered instead of just buying another one :v:

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

That is amazing. I hope the dude goes to prison.
I requested a copy of the police report; I am curious if the person who got caught with it is the person that stole it, but I doubt any of the law enforcement agencies will care enough to try and make that connection.

FBS posted:

You know the bike market is hosed when a dude is thrilled to get his stolen beginner bike recovered instead of just buying another one :v:
Tbh I have been kinda looking forward to a new bike, but only because I've been doing a lot of long rides lately and the MT03 is not really built for that (according to my rear end). I'd much rather hold off and sell it once the right new bike comes along though than have the decision forced on me. Besides that one "issue" it's a wonderful bike and I'm going to put a lot more miles on it. Maybe with a seat cushion or something.

bizwank fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 23, 2022

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Anyone a member of american motorcyclist association\AMA? It worth it? Go to events and stuff? It looks kind of neat.

I've been a member for as long as I've been riding, but I don't really use it for anything. I think once I used it for a discount on gear, but usually I just hang onto the card in case there's an incident. They use the same tow companies that AAA contracts with, but they're specifically set up to send trucks that can tow bikes. Allegedly. I've never had to use it, but I've also had AAA for 20 years and used it like 3 times.

Better to have it and not need it, yadda yadda. Also it's a good organization to give money to. They send out a monthly magazine and it keeps you updated of what's happening around the country with laws relating to motorcycling. They also lobby for things like lane splitting/filtering, motorcycle spaces in public lots, etc. And usually they'll have a couple articles on people who've done really long rides or things about Dakar, IoM, etc.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Strife posted:

I've been a member for as long as I've been riding, but I don't really use it for anything. I think once I used it for a discount on gear, but usually I just hang onto the card in case there's an incident. They use the same tow companies that AAA contracts with, but they're specifically set up to send trucks that can tow bikes. Allegedly. I've never had to use it, but I've also had AAA for 20 years and used it like 3 times.

Better to have it and not need it, yadda yadda. Also it's a good organization to give money to. They send out a monthly magazine and it keeps you updated of what's happening around the country with laws relating to motorcycling. They also lobby for things like lane splitting/filtering, motorcycle spaces in public lots, etc. And usually they'll have a couple articles on people who've done really long rides or things about Dakar, IoM, etc.

Wait, does this mean that they've moved on from what I used to hear of their infinite fight against helmet laws in certain states?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
AAA and AMA are actually united in my country, along with bicycles. They are a really good service in terms of breakdowns and stuff, their lobbying is a bit all over the place though. I think there is a lot of internal struggle in regards to what should get priority, I make sure to fill out their member surveys, but the questions asked in recent years are mostly about alternative energy and bycicle policy, so there unfortunately is no meaningful way to say "make motorbikes get even better privileges".

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slide Hammer posted:

Wait, does this mean that they've moved on from what I used to hear of their infinite fight against helmet laws in certain states?

nah, they're still lobbying against helmet laws.

https://americanmotorcyclist.com/voluntary-helmet-use/

quote:

The AMA notes there is a clear distinction between the voluntary use of helmets and mandatory helmet use laws. Some view the helmet solely as a mechanical safety device, similar to a seat belt. Many motorcyclists view the helmet as an accessory of personal apparel, and its use or non-use is connected with a chosen lifestyle and their right as adults to make their own decisions.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Jazzzzz posted:

nah, they're still lobbying against helmet laws.

https://americanmotorcyclist.com/voluntary-helmet-use/

:aloom:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Two days ago, I saw a dude riding some Buell sport bike in shorts and with a Stahlhelm-type minimalist half bucket. Fashion accessory alright :allears:

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Public safety concerns shall not infringe upon the constitutional right to play dress-up with your friends.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I'll say we are all adults and should have the right to make our own adult choices. That said :rubby: if you don't wear a helmet.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I mean you guys don't have socialized healthcare, so there is no need to prevent people from halfway killing themselves as to not burden the healthcare system. So have your freedom I guess.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Anita Dickinme posted:

Honestly I'll say we are all adults and should have the right to make our own adult choices. That said :rubby: if you don't wear a helmet.

This is an easier thing to say when your taxes don't pay for other people's accident treatment.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Are those half shell/no helmet guys just deaf or have major tinnitus? How can they possibly not be?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

SEKCobra posted:

I mean you guys don't have socialized healthcare, so there is no need to prevent people from halfway killing themselves as to not burden the healthcare system. So have your freedom I guess.

we just end up paying for it in health insurance costs instead of in taxes (unless we're talking about a boomer on medicare)

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

This is an easier thing to say when your taxes don't pay for other people's accident treatment.

Dead people dont need no treatment

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

a dingus posted:

Dead people dont need no treatment

The corpses don't just get left in the streets like America, we still have to pay to peel them off the road and bury them

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Jazzzzz posted:

we just end up paying for it in health insurance costs instead of in taxes (unless we're talking about a boomer on medicare)

You pay their disability and SSI, too. The US does have social welfare — it’s usually just incredibly insufficient and (intentionally?) convoluted.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

numberoneposter posted:

Are those half shell/no helmet guys just deaf or have major tinnitus? How can they possibly not be?

My uncle seems to hear fine and has never mentioned tinnitus, but then he probably gets to ride 6 months a year in Minnesota, doesn't put that many miles on when he does, and loses significant riding time here and there to things like recovering from burns after being drunk, morbidly obese and getting trapped under his bike somehow with a hot pipe burning his leg. I'm not sure ringing ears will register, but I do wonder how he's not dead after all the drunk riding.

(A: luck)

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

The justification for it is ..decent. Something like, if people tried inventing motorcycles today, they'd never be legal because of the wide difference in safety from other motor vehicles. So to keep them from being legislated to death, AMA is against safety legislation of any kind. They say it's a slippery slope from mandatory helmet laws to restrictive licenses to overall CC restrictions on public roads to eventually eliminating motorcycles altogether.

Not wearing a helmet is absolutely unequivocally loving stupid. Even if you're superman and are somehow unconcerned with getting your head smashed open, wind noise and just generally avoiding beetles flying into your face holes is worth it. But I can kind of understand not yielding any ground on laws surrounding motorcycles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Strife posted:

The justification for it is ..decent. Something like, if people tried inventing motorcycles today, they'd never be legal because of the wide difference in safety from other motor vehicles. So to keep them from being legislated to death, AMA is against safety legislation of any kind. They say it's a slippery slope from mandatory helmet laws to restrictive licenses to overall CC restrictions on public roads to eventually eliminating motorcycles altogether.

Not wearing a helmet is absolutely unequivocally loving stupid. Even if you're superman and are somehow unconcerned with getting your head smashed open, wind noise and just generally avoiding beetles flying into your face holes is worth it. But I can kind of understand not yielding any ground on laws surrounding motorcycles.

Helmet requirements are good, restrictive licensing is good, cc/power to weight/power output is generally regulated through insurance premiums anyway. All the arguments they make are easily refuted by pointing to the greater popularity and normalization of motorbikes in places where all those things exist.