Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

frosteh posted:

Anyone get their $300 from the 6a trade-in preorder promo? They received my 3a 2 weeks ago and I've been stuck talking to support ever since, and still waiting for my money.

Yeah, I got the $300 credit refunded on 8/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

frosteh posted:

Anyone get their $300 from the 6a trade-in preorder promo? They received my 3a 2 weeks ago and I've been stuck talking to support ever since, and still waiting for my money.

Yeah I got mine on the 17th.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is there a way to see on a P6P if wifi calling is working and active?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

It used to specifically say WiFi calling on the dialling screen somewhere when it was active but I've just gone to take a screenshot of it and it doesn't any more apparently..

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Incessant Excess posted:

Is there a way to see on a P6P if wifi calling is working and active?

It should show [carrier name] Wi-Fi Calling at the top of the lock screen, and next to the network status icons when you pull down the full notification shade

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Hungry Computer posted:

It should show [carrier name] Wi-Fi Calling at the top of the lock screen, and next to the network status icons when you pull down the full notification shade

Yep this, it also shows an icon on the status bar during a call that is a phone with a little wifi symbol on it.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
What charger should I get for my Pixel 6. That might sound like a dumb question but I'm not sure what the cable was that came with it (do you need a special cable to get 30w charging? The charging certainly seems slow compared to my old pixel 2 lol) and I don't know if I can just buy any old USB C wall plug from amazon which says 30w in the advert.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Hungry Computer posted:

Thanks. It doesn't for me and apparently it's because the Pixel isn't sold in my region, so no wifi calling despite my provider and my phone both supporting it.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

El Grillo posted:

What charger should I get for my Pixel 6. That might sound like a dumb question but I'm not sure what the cable was that came with it (do you need a special cable to get 30w charging? The charging certainly seems slow compared to my old pixel 2 lol) and I don't know if I can just buy any old USB C wall plug from amazon which says 30w in the advert.

Anker is regularly recommended. Their Nano II series has 30W, 45W and 65W options that are all very compact. I think up to 60W charging you can use pretty much any modern USB-C cable. Charging at 65W+ requires the special higher wattage cable.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So I splurged and got myself the Zenfone 9, somehow the store I finally ended up with had 1 day delivery, despite it supposedly only coming out on September 15th, Amazon even only giving me 28th of September as the estimate.
Hopped to a store that gave me an estimate of 3-4 days with stock, before finally discovering the final one (which only was listed for the 16GB model on the price tracker site I use, despite them having stock for all of them). Decided to splurge completely and got the deluxe version with 16GB/256GB.
Been migrating most of today, and I already like this phone a lot. ASUS really did a good job leaving important settings up to the user and my only complaint so far is this:
You can assign tons of actions to the multi function power button, even app specific ones, but it won't let me set a Tasker task, only Tasker Edit Task X.
Everything else has been great, and I am so glad to finally hold a sensible size again. The possible maximum media volume is also incredibly loud, and apparently there is an outdoor mode that increases the max even more.

So long as ASUS keeps supplying updates for a decent amount of time (or the device getting lineage support) I am very happy with this choice, even though this was far above my typical budget. But because I keep my phones nearly forever, as long as I can get OS updates for a good few years, this will work out fine.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SEKCobra posted:

So I splurged and got myself the Zenfone 9, somehow the store I finally ended up with had 1 day delivery, despite it supposedly only coming out on September 15th, Amazon even only giving me 28th of September as the estimate.
Hopped to a store that gave me an estimate of 3-4 days with stock, before finally discovering the final one (which only was listed for the 16GB model on the price tracker site I use, despite them having stock for all of them). Decided to splurge completely and got the deluxe version with 16GB/256GB.
Been migrating most of today, and I already like this phone a lot. ASUS really did a good job leaving important settings up to the user and my only complaint so far is this:
You can assign tons of actions to the multi function power button, even app specific ones, but it won't let me set a Tasker task, only Tasker Edit Task X.
Everything else has been great, and I am so glad to finally hold a sensible size again. The possible maximum media volume is also incredibly loud, and apparently there is an outdoor mode that increases the max even more.

So long as ASUS keeps supplying updates for a decent amount of time (or the device getting lineage support) I am very happy with this choice, even though this was far above my typical budget. But because I keep my phones nearly forever, as long as I can get OS updates for a good few years, this will work out fine.

I don't mean to be a killjoy, but I'm pretty sure ASUS only committed to 2 years of support.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Incessant Excess posted:

Thanks. It doesn't for me and apparently it's because the Pixel isn't sold in my region, so no wifi calling despite my provider and my phone both supporting it.

Try sticking it in airplane mode, then connecting to WiFi and making a call

Mine wasn't showing either when I'm sure it was before hand

Making a call with mobile data off kicked it back into action

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

sirbeefalot posted:

Anker is regularly recommended. Their Nano II series has 30W, 45W and 65W options that are all very compact. I think up to 60W charging you can use pretty much any modern USB-C cable. Charging at 65W+ requires the special higher wattage cable.
Thanks!

I had a look, they seemed a bit pricey so for the moment I've gone with a cheapo option (INUI 30w charger) https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09CYJZRV9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but perhaps I'll regret it. Stay tuned to find out!!

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I don't mean to be a killjoy, but I'm pretty sure ASUS only committed to 2 years of support.

It has been their policy so far, but they have refused to give an answer for the Zenfone 9 so far apparently. Still, it looks like there will be community support for the device and that will be good enough for me. My last long term phone unfortunately never got a community ROM.

itnomekim
Jul 25, 2012
After updating to Android 13 on my Pixel 5 I've noticed Android System Intelligence is killing my battery. Draining 18% of the battery. Has anyone been having this issue?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Are there any terrible but also forced UI changes that come with Android 13? I still have PTSD from 12's launch.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

NZAmoeba posted:

Are there any terrible but also forced UI changes that come with Android 13? I still have PTSD from 12's launch.

If you're on Pixel, there are a few adjustments around the place but you'd be hard pressed to notice them without a side by side comparison.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

The now big and colorful media player in the notifications is maybe the most notable UX change.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

NZAmoeba posted:

They moved where the settings shortcut lives on the notification shade and I am apoplectic with rage.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Got my Flip 4 yesterday. Holy poo poo they nailed it. It reminded me how awesome a physical fingerprint scanner is. Makes the screen fingerprint sensor that much worse.They are so dumb and frustrating to use.

But yeah the Fold 4 is a major go.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 24, 2022

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My Pixel 6 Pro battery life has been noticeably worse in 13 :(

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Same for me on the Pixel 5.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is it subjective or are you comparing stuff like screen on time? I've got a little over 3 hours SoT with 65% battery raining on my P6.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Doesn't it take the adaptive battery settings to catch back up after a significant update?

Android 13 has seemed the same or better about battery drain on my Pixel 6.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

withoutclass posted:

Is it subjective or are you comparing stuff like screen on time? I've got a little over 3 hours SoT with 65% battery raining on my P6.

Comparing screen on time, as well as general usage that I had gotten accustomed to the whole time I've had this phone while on Android 12.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Doesn't it take the adaptive battery settings to catch back up after a significant update?

I didn't expect that, no? I didn't reset. I applied an update. I wouldn't expect adactive battery settings to get wiped.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

CLAM DOWN posted:

So far, same. I'm hoping it's just a bunch of background optimization poo poo that will calm down in a few days.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I had ridiculous usage for mobile network (about 24%) after upgrading to 13. My office is in a signal black hole so it was probably fighting like crazy to keep a connection when I was at work.

I have a wi-fi connection there so I just went into developer options and toggled always on mobile network to off which I'm hoping will calm it down a bit - we'll see tomorrow.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have no idea if I'm going to get any of the Samsung smorgasbord at this point except for the Flip 4 which hasn't shipped yet due to a combination of bad timing, FedEx, and Samsung shipping stupidity.

I'm away on vacation this week. I knew the stuff would probably ship a little early and arrive before the 26th. I put a vacation hold at FedEx.

Well apparently FedEx counts a vacation hold as a "Missed Delivery" in the system and I'm getting watching emails from Samsung that after 3 the order will be cancelled and shipped back to Samsung.

Samsung doesn't allow you to choose the ship to FedEx location option due to the options they put on shipping.

I'm finally trying to take off the vacation hold and paying the $5 to schedule the delivery in the hopes that it won't show up in the system as a missed delivery. But right now FedEx is showing the package as arriving "Early" tomorrow instead of my scheduled 29th delivery which if FedEx took my $5 and didn't actually like schedule the delivery for a specific day, I'm gonna be doing some charge back on them.

If they do try to ship back, hopefully it updates to say that before the preorder stuff ends tomorrow so I have a chance to reorder.

I should have just waited to do it this week while on vacation to delay the shipping, though now I'm seeing Watch 5 Pro shipments are pushed back to almost November at this point.

The Flip 4 is safe because it's a bespoke edition and hasn't shipped yet.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
My OP9 battery life has gotten noticeably worse this summer. Really hope the P7 is good!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Looks like the biggest consumer of battery life in the last 24 hours is cell network, over 25% of my battery consumption, wtf. I haven't left wifi, I WFH and haven't left wifi in 2 days. Something is hosed.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

Looks like the biggest consumer of battery life in the last 24 hours is cell network, over 25% of my battery consumption, wtf. I haven't left wifi, I WFH and haven't left wifi in 2 days. Something is hosed.

I just checked my Motorola One 5G Ace which is running Android 11 and has been sitting untouched for days, and it shows the biggest drain as "mobile network standby" at 19%. On my Pixel 6 on Android 13 it shows as 28%, but I actually use that phone. I haven't been keeping a close eye on battery usage, but I think the cell radio probably uses a fair amount of power all the time.

I don't know, though, something could be fucky. My Pixel won't let me check for Google Play Store updates still, and the option to even do so has disappeared from my Motorola. Maybe that's related to some other glitch happening where the radios are overworking?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

CLAM DOWN posted:

Same issue that I've got. By default the phone keeps a mobile network data connection active at all times even when you're on wifi so that it can quickly switch if wifi drops. You can disable this in developer options, I have no idea if this will resolve the issue but I'm going to test it today.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

the pattern unlock on android 13 has the dots spaced farther away from each other than on android 12, and now my muscle memory needs to be retrained and im annoyed about it.

but the squiggly line in the music player is cool, and im glad they're adding features like it just for fun bc it's a mature OS at this point. for the love of god just polish all the things as much as possible and leave some poo poo alone for a while. there's no practical reason to keep moving what the power button long press does or how to quick access settings.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I'm on a pixel 6 now, moving from 3a XL. It has the "auto-rotate is off, rotate anyway?"-feature where a little icon shows up that I can press to rotate if I wanted to, which my 3a used to have but lost at some point. Let's see if that survives the update to 13

Also it's very new and adaptive battery shouldn't have had time to do anything yet, but battery time seems fine, so i'll see if 13 is worse unadapted I guess.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Pixel 6 battery talk: within about 4 days of resetting to factory settings after the 13 update, battery life on my phone is back to being excellent. The first few days it was awful though, so the adaptive battery stuff definitely works. I switched back to 5G (preferred) in work and battery life remained strong.

I imagine the next monthly update may have battery life improvements.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

ShoogaSlim posted:

the pattern unlock
lol

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

NZAmoeba posted:

It seems like the Material You color palettes apply to some different stuff than before, or apply differently. After I updated, my Gmail and dialer app were tinted green, almost like one of those eye comfort/evening filters. Had to go into the wallpaper settings and find a different color pallette that didn't do that.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Phosphine posted:

I'm on a pixel 6 now, moving from 3a XL. It has the "auto-rotate is off, rotate anyway?"-feature where a little icon shows up that I can press to rotate if I wanted to, which my 3a used to have but lost at some point. Let's see if that survives the update to 13

Also it's very new and adaptive battery shouldn't have had time to do anything yet, but battery time seems fine, so i'll see if 13 is worse unadapted I guess.

The toggle rotate thing still works for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CLAM DOWN posted:

see if your phone is dropping from wifi