Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
How often do ya'll change your upgrade plans around your weaknesses?

So far, I've really only done Dunwich with Jacqueline, and I got double Paranoid, so I just assumed any money I had at the start of the round might not last until the end, which didn't have a huge influence on what I grew into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

LifeLynx posted:

They must have playtested the hell out of this...

That's a bold assumption, Fantasy Flight is not exactly known for in depth playtesting of their co-op games.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I think AH is pretty good as far as that goes, with only the standalones really being outliers and then only due to weird rules interactions which don't come up anywhere else.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Yeah, there are ways to break Arkham Horror for sure but I’d say you have to go looking for them, and they’re easy to avoid if you want to play without anything busted.

I’m mostly concerned about the latest set adding a lot of complex and fiddly rules to the mix.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
They've been decent about not releasing game breaking cards but the taboo list is solid evidence they don't check for balance very much.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Double or Nothing is the best evidence.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Orange Devil posted:

Double or Nothing is the best evidence.

Three Aces is also up there and I really miss using it once per turn as Skids or Mandy.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Speaking of broken cards, I'm running Pendant of the Queen for the first time as Harvey Walters and that's a pretty funny one. I think I might have failed A Thousand Shapes of Horror if I didn't have the ability to basically tell the Unnameable to gently caress off at will. It's pretty amazing that they allowed a card that lets you fast-action auto-evade bosses 3 times.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

A very Survivor-y card which works well with all the stuff they want to discard. Canceling just one point at a time is good value, and I assume it would be especially good in Patrice (I've never actually played her) as long as there isn't something better for the slot.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It’s fighting for space with moonstones though. Patrice can get her soak back time after time, it’s actions she wants

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

No problem, Survivors can afford Relic Hunter x 2 so you can get that sweet Idol/Moonstone synergy!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Night before Campaign jitters: Is Lone Wolf on Monterey when working with Bob a bad idea?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

You’ll be fine with money generation with that duo no matter what happens.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

CitizenKeen posted:

Night before Campaign jitters: Is Lone Wolf on Monterey when working with Bob a bad idea?

Antartica is huge and you'll want to move around faster than Bob. You can also have him leave your space before your turn starts on any round you start next to each other.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Finally, a good target for Galvanize! 4XP is a lot but +2 to a test every turn plus huge soak is probably worth it.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 21, 2022

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
drat, that is a good rear end card.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

All it needs is some flavour text.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I wonder if this set will have a 5XP Guardian weapon. If it does I'm going to assume it'll be a gun since the last one was all the way back in TFA. But then they did release two 5XP blue weapons (one blue/purple) in EotE so maybe the odds are against it. Also, Carson may not be able to use it, not that that should really matter, but I feel like if the Guardian in the set was a sniper or something the chances would be higher.

My LGS has the new investigator expansion releasing on Sep 30 and the campaign on Nov 18. I kinda wish they would release both at the same time but spacing them out probably works better for marketing by not presenting a huge upfront cost or something.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Kalko posted:

I wonder if this set will have a 5XP Guardian weapon.

There's already Runic Axe, so a second 5xp Guardian weapon seems unlikely.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I'm sure someone will post the picture soon, but just to already provide some maths on Underworld Market.

Market deck contains 10 cards. You reveal 2 per turn.

Chance to see at least 1 copy of a card of which you have 2 copies in the Market deck:
By turn 1: 37,8%
By turn 2: 66,7%
By turn 3: 86,7%
By turn 4: 97,8%
By turn 5: 100%

Chance to see the 1 copy of a card of which you have 1 copy in the Market deck:
By turn 1: 20%
By turn 2: 40%
By turn 3: 60%
By turn 4: 80%
By turn 5: 100%

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Wow, this is a great card. Looks like a solid pick for Kymani. I tried building a deck for them myself and I found I quickly ran out of space for all the cards I wanted. Finn will also love this. I think this will be a really strong staple for Rogues, its a good way to guarantee you'll get your Lockpicks/Thieves Kit/Guns in the first few turns.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Give this card to Lola so that she shoves ten greens in there and frees the rest of her deck from one mandated colour.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

Give this card to Lola so that she shoves ten greens in there and frees the rest of her deck from one mandated colour.

Doesn't work, she can't trigger the ability that creates the market deck.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

This might be amazing in Winnie, she wants weapons and stealin tools but would prefer to fill her deck with skills cards.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I tried out a gimmick alternate skids deck in curtain call. The idea was to use crystallizer/well connected to make large gambles and get lots of money to make well connected strong. It was a complete failure. Most of the symbol tokens in curtain call are “-4 add a horror”, so not only did I keep losing gambles, the map was quickly full of horror. All in all, it didn’t work.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

NRVNQSR posted:

Doesn't work, she can't trigger the ability that creates the market deck.
Dammit! Yes, she gets to set a role only after drawing the opening hand.
She still gets +10 cards.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Rogue tutoring!

edit: I couldn't watch the stream but there was some pre-reveal banter:

Apparently Lola is getting some taboo buffs in the upcoming FAQ too.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 26, 2022

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Weapon, trick and Criminal seem useful.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
5XP, make any card fast. That’s a good card.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Well that's going straight into my Kane deck (with the trait "ally", of course).

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Well, that's certainly a weakness. I'm not sure what to make of these Dilemma cards without actually playing them but draw three for one action seems pretty good, with the caveat being that it might show up when you can't afford to lose an action.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It feels amazing for Patrice, who can’t get new actions but who gets new cards instantly.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Man, these class-specific weaknesses are rough as hell. You can just make a Survivor deck that doesn't care about this by not banking on skill cards but if you want to get rid of it it's so annoying. You have to completely throw away your hand and resources and still pay an action to get rid of it.

Golden Bee posted:

It feels amazing for Patrice, who can’t get new actions but who gets new cards instantly.

Eh, it's ok but it will likely use up one of her 5 cards per turn already so it's really only getting you 2 cards for one action.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

A hand with Underprepared and two Take Hearts is a fresh way to die.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Patrice would sacrifice one random card for an action, not the other way around. Once you have cornered and maybe two other assets, you should be good to go the rest of the game.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

So just to check, Underprepared only alters the skill icons after the card is committed right? So you can always dump cards fast. Better hope you have a resource sink though.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
New taboo list with the promised Lola changes: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2022/8/26/a-shift-in-the-mythos/

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

quote:

The larger change here is to her weakness, Crisis of Identity, which only discards 1 card of her current role from her hand or from her play area, instead of all cards she controls.
Oooh

They also did a thing on Mandy

quote:

This taboo changes Mandy’s Deck Size options so that she must take a 50-card deck.

How do people use taboo lists? Print them out?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

SelenicMartian posted:

How do people use taboo lists? Print them out?
It's available as a dropdown on Arkhamdb.com

My group ended up not using it, but that reminds me:

What's the overall risk if one or two players in a 3 player game use the Taboo list, and one doesn't? I'll probably eventually want to start using it just as a cap on rascally shenanigans, but I want to support my friend who does their deckbuilding exclusively analog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
FAQ Highlights

(some of these were already known, but they're official rulings now)

- Permanents cannot be swapped out (so no using Adaptable to switch out the starter permanents)

- the bonded cards for Hallowed Mirror/Occult Lexicon/Miss Doyle now get sent back to the bonded card pile if their bonded asset leaves play

- Geared Up cards are played one at a time (so it works with Backpack)

- Searching for cards during setup does not trigger search abilities (so Stick to the Plan searches won't trigger Astounding Revelation)

- Cards that must be played 'as your first action' can't be played if they're fast/ignore action cost some other way

- Diana can activate her ability with cards in her discard pile

- if an encounter card and player card contradict each other, the encounter card takes precedence

Taboo Highlights

(not a complete list)

- Machete untaboo'd back to 0 EXP

- +2 EXP for Jeremiah Kirby and Gene Beauregard, +3 EXP for David Renfield (on account of all the doom management tech coming up the next cycle)

- Mr. Rook returned to 0 EXP, but his free trigger is now an action ability instead

- Strange Solution reduced to +1 damage instead of +2

- Black Market can be played once per round max (so no chaining Black Markets)

- Cyclopean Hammer exhausts for the +2 damage/move effect

- Eon Chart changed to granting basic actions

- Mandy must take a 50 card deck, no more choosing deck size

- Lola Hayes gains a new ability: spend an action to switch roles, does not provoke attacks of opportunity (in addition to her free trigger role change). Weakness nerfed to discard only one card from current role, instead of all.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 26, 2022