Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Nybble posted:

side note: is Orphan Black really not available anywhere on streaming services in the US? do i have to sail the high seas or get a blu-ray box set? (I don’t like paying for individual shows in digital format unless i’m definitely gonna revisit it)

Amazon Prime streaming last I checked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Lol at how the fans of a film genre which literally began with suspension of disbelief as its entire tagline 50 years ago can't suspend their disbelief when it comes to a woman being good at being the incredible hulk

Lol at people trying to measure and quantify the relative trauma responses and hardships of characters across a multi year/writer/director franchise as if that's a meaningful yardstick in this genre. If it was, then every major character would have severe PTSD and it'd just be Watchmen or The Boys or something

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 23, 2022

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

cant cook creole bream posted:

While I am happy for your coworker, that seems kind of a spoiler, considering it's basically insider information.

Please stop.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ubik_Lives posted:

Also, I don't really get what the threat is supposed to be from their perspective if she doesn't learn to control her anger. She turns green. And? Without an alter-ego that either of them are aware of, are they just concerned that she's just going to be comically breaking coffee cups in her hands at work, or hitting her horn too hard when people cut her off in traffic?

It's probably less "break a coffee cup" and more "break a person", being as how she's suddenly two foot taller and several thousand times stronger. I imagine learning to control that level of strength so that you're as sensitive as you wish when holding or using something would take a bit of time. And frankly, if I was to be nitpicky about the show then I'd find the fact she can apparently instantly control that difference in physique more unbelievable or problematic than anything to do with her emotional control. It gets us to the thing the show wants to be about faster though, so who cares?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I was listening to an interview with the head writer yesterday, and her only complaint about shuffling the episode order around so episode 8 was now episode 1 was she would've written the episode a little differently if she had known from the beginning they were going to start with a premise pilot.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

howe_sam posted:

I was listening to an interview with the head writer yesterday, and her only complaint about shuffling the episode order around so episode 8 was now episode 1 was she would've written the episode a little differently if she had known from the beginning they were going to start with a premise pilot.

Wait, they were gonna have ep8 be the origin story? Right before the finale? :psyduck:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I will concede that the “infinitely more than you” part of the line opened the door for criticism and should have been changed, but I also acknowledge that it’s just Jen talking from her knowledge and experiences and she might be proven wrong as the show (and MCU in general) goes on and she faces crazy superhero stuff, but it’s still a poignant and worthwhile commentary about the inherent sexism in society.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Wait, they were gonna have ep8 be the origin story? Right before the finale? :psyduck:

It happened with Moon Knight.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

And Wandavision.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I think you could argue that pretty much all the penultimate episodes of the Marvel shows have involved the characters taking stock of themselves in one way or another before the big blow out confrontation in the finale.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

live with fruit posted:

I think part of it is that people are just defensive about Bruce after ten years and five movies. The whole MCU model is people being so invested in these characters that they keep coming back over and over. Obviously there are chuds being chuds out there but I bet there'd be similar issues if there was a similar dynamic between Yelena and Nat.

It's just poorly handled..Banner throws a boulder, Jen throws a boulder, Hulk looks annoyed, Jen smirks. It comes across as s dick measuring contest and there's no reason why either of them would care about that at this point.

If Banner had said "Holy poo poo that's amazing, you're doing way better than I did. You're made for this, even if you don't really want it" then you would have recognized her rapid progress and they wouldn't have come across as juvenile idiots that care who can throw rocks the furthest.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Owling Howl posted:

It's just poorly handled..Banner throws a boulder, Jen throws a boulder, Hulk looks annoyed, Jen smirks. It comes across as s dick measuring contest and there's no reason why either of them would care about that at this point.

...They're cousins

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Xenomrph posted:

I will concede that the “infinitely more than you” part of the line opened the door for criticism and should have been changed, but I also acknowledge that it’s just Jen talking from her knowledge and experiences and she might be proven wrong as the show (and MCU in general) goes on and she faces crazy superhero stuff, but it’s still a poignant and worthwhile commentary about the inherent sexism in society.

it's this op

Snapping at someone trying to help you go through a situation that literally involves life and death is jarring, here.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Owling Howl posted:

If Banner had said "Holy poo poo that's amazing, you're doing way better than I did. You're made for this, even if you don't really want it" then you would have recognized her rapid progress and they wouldn't have come across as juvenile idiots that care who can throw rocks the furthest.

Counterpoint: the Hulk throwing a flaming rock into orbit with an accompanying sonic boom is pretty drat funny.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Xenomrph posted:

That Jen being in control of her anger (and thus able to control her Hulk persona) right from jump trivializes Banner’s trauma he experienced as the Hulk.

A specific example that was given was “Banner saw half his friends turn to dust before his eyes, but poor Jen got catcalled, boo hoo.”

Nevermind that Jen (and half the planet) presumably saw half of her friends turn to dust too, or was turned to dust herself.
Also nevermind that many of Banner’s traumas are directly related to his inability to control the Hulk persona.

Jen being in control *right now*, 24 hours after getting transformed, does not preclude her losing her poo poo and turning into a rage monster if things get superhero-crazy. Like, that exact thing has happened in the comics where she just loses control and goes nuts, multiple times.

My take on it is that on one level Jen is correct, she probably does have more experience in controlling her anger on a day to day level than even Bruce does. Bruce is a straight
(as far as we know), cisgender white male. That allows him to dodge a huge amount of social bullshit that people who aren't straight, cisgender male or white can't.

On the other side, though, Jen desperately wants to be correct about her anger tolerance because she wants to get back to her "real" life. I think Jen wants to treat becoming a Hulk like a mild case of COVID or something. Like, "Screw it. I'll self-isolate for a couple of weeks and then go back to work and forget this ever happened to me."

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Rarity posted:

...They're cousins

Ah yes this is what all cousins do

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

If you didn't have a hulk contest with your cousins during thanksgiving did you even have cousins?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
If anything, we need more cousin shenanigans. What's Ched's deal?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

live with fruit posted:

Ched Banner has a wiki page that just says he is a relative of Bruce Banner whose life details are unknown. lol

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kaedric posted:

it's this op

Snapping at someone trying to help you go through a situation that literally involves life and death is jarring, here.
But what he's saying is all wrong and is disrespecting her by not taking her perspective into account.

He's saying she needs to prepare to be a superhero, despite that not being what she wants to do at all. He is only preparing her to live like he does, not living like she wants to.

He goes on to say she needs to spend years carefully getting her emotions under control, when she's already mastered the emotions thing before she even became a hulk.

He's trying to help, but he's only considering his own experiences, and he cannot imagine that his own learning experience isn't a novel insight. If it took him a long time to figure something out, surely it's something important that he should tell others about, without considering their own experiences.

He is, in fact, mansplaining.

And it's fine. He's not a bad person, he's trying to help. It's cool. But it is totally fair for Jen to snap at him when he doesn't get it.

In the end he does seem to get it, and they part on friendly terms. It's a good scene where people who like each other talk past each other and get frustrated with each other, and then resolve things.

The show even leaves some ambiguity as to whether she's right about her own self assessment, but it's still perfectly reasonable for her to be defensive about it when Bruce is completely talking past her own lived experiences. People who have gone through "comic book poo poo" aren't the only people who have experienced emotions.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

live with fruit posted:

Ched's dead baby. Ched's dead.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Eiba posted:

He's saying she needs to prepare to be a superhero, despite that not being what she wants to do at all. He is only preparing her to live like he does, not living like she wants to.

He is absolutely right about this part though. Jen is brushing him off because she doesn't want that responsibility to disrupt the life she's worked so hard to gain, but she will be a target now, and even if she wasn't, she still has a responsibility to use her power regardless. Which Jen herself knows deep down, and the show itself certainly knows because the opening lines of the show are Jen saying as much, even if in a different context.

The lines being set to originally occur in the second to last episode, when you'd expect her to be getting ready for revelation before accepting something in the finale. I think it's pretty reasonable to expect she'll come to terms with that by the end of the season and maybe even train with Bruce between seasons after the finale given his last lines about the offer standing.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Rarity posted:

...They're cousins

Seriously. These oddballs are crazy.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

tsob posted:

He is absolutely right about this part though. Jen is brushing him off because she doesn't want that responsibility to disrupt the life she's worked so hard to gain, but she will be a target now, and even if she wasn't, she still has a responsibility to use her power regardless. Which Jen herself knows deep down, and the show itself certainly knows because the opening lines of the show are Jen saying as much, even if in a different context.

The lines being set to originally occur in the second to last episode, when you'd expect her to be getting ready for revelation before accepting something in the finale. I think it's pretty reasonable to expect she'll come to terms with that by the end of the season and maybe even train with Bruce between seasons after the finale given his last lines about the offer standing.

Presumably the Titania stuff wasn't supposed to happen in the next to last episode, right? If the whole thing is about Jennifer becoming the face of a superhero law firm, it wouldn't make sense for her to only come out so late.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

tsob posted:

Honestly that's fair. I imagine the show will not exactly support the idea that she can be totally normal, but it seems like it will also support the idea that she can at least still be a lawyer. It's a lawyer show after all. Bruce was saying she needed to drop everything and live like a hermit who the powers that be call on to fight aliens occasionally. I think it's pretty understandable for her to not be on board with that idea at this point.

Regardless of who was most justified, the point is it was understandable for her to be frustrated and snap at Bruce when he wasn't respecting what she was saying.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

tsob posted:

It's probably less "break a coffee cup" and more "break a person", being as how she's suddenly two foot taller and several thousand times stronger. I imagine learning to control that level of strength so that you're as sensitive as you wish when holding or using something would take a bit of time. And frankly, if I was to be nitpicky about the show then I'd find the fact she can apparently instantly control that difference in physique more unbelievable or problematic than anything to do with her emotional control. It gets us to the thing the show wants to be about faster though, so who cares?

The Incredible Hulk does show that. When Blonsky tries to challenge Hulk with one dose of super soldier serum, Hulk just casually punches him. Blonsky is flipped across the field into a tree hard enough to bend his entire body in wrong ways.

If Jen lets herself fall to just one mild impulse like slapping a drunk guy while She-Hulk, she could take his head off. Being a Hulk means you can’t even have normal, everyday anger safely.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
The discussion about hardships reminds me a lot of the 30 Rock episode when Kenneth says he’s a white man so he disagrees with Jack, who then says socioeconomically he’s an inner city Latina.

They’re both wealthy. Are we next going to argue that because She-Hulk isn’t poor she doesn’t have to really control anger because she isn’t facing a situation where she doesn’t know when her next meal will be? Maybe we should stop worrying about quantifying hardships and understand that they’re both right and both wrong in this situation.

The lesson from that scene is that neither person, nobody, should be ignoring someone else’s experiences just because.

Super Deuce fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 23, 2022

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Side effects of the she hulk transformation usually include a pretty big increase in self confidence, so it's not completely out of character to be a bit smug and dismissive of advice.

I thought Bruce had the anger and the foundations of the hulk persona basically buried within him pre-hulk. Regardless of how it got there, the method of how he was dealing with it wasn't healthy or helpful. "My secret, I'm always angry" is not a good way of being. His 'intergrating' the hulk persona is basically him going to therapy and accepting his anger and his angry aspect (dbt). While everyone needs therapy, not everyone needs it as much as Bruce needed it.

At the moment he's like an AA member with a 5 year chip, warning about the effects of alcohol. It's his way of coping with his own baggage, but it isn't for everyone.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Goffer posted:

Side effects of the she hulk transformation usually include a pretty big increase in self confidence, so it's not completely out of character to be a bit smug and dismissive of advice.

I thought Bruce had the anger and the foundations of the hulk persona basically buried within him pre-hulk. Regardless of how it got there, the method of how he was dealing with it wasn't healthy or helpful. "My secret, I'm always angry" is not a good way of being. His 'intergrating' the hulk persona is basically him going to therapy and accepting his anger and his angry aspect (dbt). While everyone needs therapy, not everyone needs it as much as Bruce needed it.

At the moment he's like an AA member with a 5 year chip, warning about the effects of alcohol. It's his way of coping with his own baggage, but it isn't for everyone.

I mean, Brian Banner was an abusive father/husband (who murdered his wife and was already connected to the One Below All before Bruce was even conceived) so Bruce was kinda screwed from the start.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Vintersorg posted:

That definitely fit more with the story of the season though.

They didn't have to put the origin at the penultimate episode of She-Hulk, when the story they are telling wouldn't necessitate that

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Technowolf posted:

I mean, Brian Banner was an abusive father/husband (who murdered his wife and was already connected to the One Below All before Bruce was even conceived) so Bruce was kinda screwed from the start.

Maybe, but not in the MCU that we are aware of.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Would have been wild if they flashed a green door for a frame during the car crash/transfusion scene though

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Technowolf posted:

Why do people in this thread keep trying to integrate obscure comics backstory into this MCU show to contextualise the character’s motives. They’re not going to write an omnipotent creator god into “She-Hulk: Attorney At Law”, and I’d be surprised if they go anywhere near the minefield that is serious parental domestic abuse. It’s a comedy drama.

Edit: Bruce and Jen get into a fight because they are under the malign influence of Mephisto

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

The Grumbles posted:

Why do people in this thread keep trying to integrate obscure comics backstory into this MCU show to contextualise the character’s motives. They’re not going to write an omnipotent creator god into “She-Hulk: Attorney At Law”, and I’d be surprised if they go anywhere near the minefield that is serious parental domestic abuse. It’s a comedy drama.

Edit: Bruce and Jen get into a fight because they are under the malign influence of Mephisto

It’s probably because the tv show and movies do a bad job of developing these characters. Especially the hulk/Bruce banner

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Owling Howl posted:

It comes across as s dick measuring contest and there's no reason why either of them would care about that at this point.

Are you an only child with no cousins? Cuz my sisters would've dunked on me relentlessly if I acted like King poo poo of something only for them to catch up in a day.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The Grumbles posted:

Not that I don't agree with your general point that people need to stop acting like Bruce's comics backstory is his movie backstory, but I'd be shocked if She-Hulk: Attorney at Law doesn't have her trying a cosmic case in front of the Living Tribunal (i.e. an omnipotent god; though I'm not sure on the creator aspect) at some point. The Living Tribunal has already been mentioned or implied in the MCU a few times according to the Wikia, as statues in both Doctor Strange: Multiverse of Madness and Loki, along with mentions in the Thor films, but I imagine She-Hulk would be the easiest/best place to actually feature it as a character. It almost certainly won't happen in season 1, but I'd be surprised if it's not part of a future season at all.

It'd be especially fun if she has to defend Loki himself at some point a few years down the line, when both shows are coming to a close, as a crossover to help round out their arcs; Jen because it'd be her trying a case at the highest court in existence and make it explicit as well as justify her view that being a lawyer means more to her than being a superhero, and Loki as a way to recap his character and explicitly go "no, he has changed and he's actually kind of a decent person now" or something. That'd lean more toward the emotional/dramatic though, and you could alternatively have her defending the Guardians in a more comedic case, since they tend to rub people the wrong way.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Ah yes this is what all cousins do

You've never had a petty competitive rivalry with a close family member?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Grumbles posted:

It’s Mephisto all the way down

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

stev posted:

You've never had a petty competitive rivalry with a close family member?

With my siblings sure but not my cousins. Not sure what’s going on with Americans and their cousins but we all chill over here with the Mexican family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

The Grumbles posted:

Because otherwise the feminist monologue makes sense and is well written.