Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which August 16th release are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Blossom Tales 2: The Minotaur Prince [PC, Switch] – August 16 12 21.82%
Rollerdrome [PC, PS5, PS4] – August 16 31 56.36%
Tribes of Midgard [XSX, XBO, Switch] – August 16 5 9.09%
Way of the Hunter [PC, PS5, XSX] – August 16 7 12.73%
Total: 55 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

yeah that's a goon and they're joking

anyway is there a games conference thing today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Last weekend my wife and I were sorting the basement and I found a box of old PC games, including a bunch of poo poo I don't think you can even buy anywhere anymore: That dumb Law and Order game, a bunch of CDV strategy games, X-Men Legends 2, etc.

After installing three (3) physical-rear end CD Roms of X-Men Legends 2 I found out that while the game will run on modern windows, the DRM to launch it actually will not. So I had to ironically crack the game I physically installed to get it to run. Then I simply had to find a Gamefaqs post and track down a fan patch from 15 years ago to balance it because I remember it being busted as gently caress. I'm coming for you Apocalypse!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Gamescom starts in about four hours.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

grieving for Gandalf posted:

???

Oh gamescom. Forgot about that one.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

the only reason i can think of that anyone would fume in a twitter thread that they took the industry standard anonymous analytics theyre doing and poked some harmless fun in the patch notes if their character looked exactly like this

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

does Geoff Keighley just have a monopoly on all the games things that aren't TGS now??

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Sakurazuka posted:

Gamescom starts in about four hours.

Are they gonna announce any new games?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
(AI Somnium) I got to the point in the story where I got to the Mizuki’s mom flashback and holy wow I feel bad about all the mean stuff I said about Mizuki in this thread earlier. :(

very proud of Date for the immediate reaction of “What the gently caress, you don’t loving hit kids, lady” though, he has moved up slightly from “loser” to “kind of a loser”

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is gamescom about video games or traditional games?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Jay Rust posted:

Is gamescom about video games or traditional games?

The NES came out half a century ago. Video games are traditional games now

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
It's about traditional games like duck duck goose and hide and go seek

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Keighley is gonna play peek a boo on stage with Kojima

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Gamescom used to be very "Here ye, here ye! Get ye PC games here!", but I think it's mostly a retread of the early summer stuff now

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

also weren't they constantly wiping saves after beta patches at one point? I probably wouldn't make anything but Default Guy if I was coming back to it over and over to try out some small change or another, and it's not the user's fault if they set Default Guy as "Generic White Man" lol

this isnt some big details deragon's dogma character creator. you pick a race, boobs on or off, and then you get like 6 options for the face and some other stuff. The character models all look good but there are very few options so even if your save got deleted and you wanted to rush making a new character, it wouldn't save any time or thought whatsoever to select generic white guy over a yellow goblin lady or whatever.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Malcolm Excellent posted:

It's about traditional games like duck duck goose and hide and go seek

The meta of duck, duck goose could use a revision.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
If they defaulted to a black woman or something though it would incur the wrath of the gamer.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Geoffcom

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

wuggles posted:

Geoffcom

Weekend Game Jam where every game is about Geoff Keighley

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

last page and all but i swear to god i've seen someone with this very username and avatar around on SA

lol

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Guest posted:

I dunno how many crpgs I've played where I'll make some super unique like tiefling or aasimar or something only to have like three npcs throughout the entire game acknowledge that I'm playing anything other than the default human male. I don't know if BG3 is better at this (I'm waiting for it to come out of early access), but I do think that the genre has taught people that the only way you're going to feel like your character fits in the story is if you make the blandest dude possible.

I play a lot of CRPGs and I feel this way too, making a Super Special Demonkin always feels off, to me, because as you mention it hardly ever comes up in conversation even though it definitely would, realistically

In ffxiv when making a new character it doesn't make roleplaying sense to start as a rabbitperson or liondude, because those are non-existant in the game world until their respective expansions, so being the One Rabbitkid in all of finalfantasyland and no one calling attention to it would feel very weird, to me. So I made a tall human instead

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Though my ffxiv tall human is also the only black character in the game

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Though my ffxiv tall human is also the only black character in the game

lol

you should play it like it's an isekai

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

FF14 is an isekai

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Just giving Saints Row a try. Crouch is on Q. 0/10 for that alone.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Pac-Man World (1999) for the PlayStation 1 is getting a remake which releases in four days https://pacman.fandom.com/wiki/Pac-Man_World_Re-Pac

I could get better graphics for the same video games if I read most of the books I'm ever going to read up-front and then played video games only starting in my 60s. can't wait that long, though

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
it doesnt have ms pacman so its inferior to the original game

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
I'm giving saints row a go and it really is just a saints row 3 era game in 2022, with both the good and bad that comes from that. it's quite buggy, but personally I'm liking it a lot so far and I think that some of the bad reviews it's gotten have tended to be a bit overstated.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the gambling forum has the greatest mods/users ratio (not including the general sports forum mods) ive ever seen

Only registered members can see post attachments!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bungie is bringing back all previously removed story and group content. They are no longer sunsetting content. Very good announcement, that was such a terrible idea to do to begin with.

[edit]
no wait, previous content is still mostly gone, but no more future sunsetting.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 23, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the gambling forum has the greatest mods/users ratio (not including the general sports forum mods) ive ever seen

The house always wins

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Bungie is bringing back all previously removed story and group content. They are no longer sunsetting content. Very good announcement, that was such a terrible idea to do to begin with.

[edit]
forsaken is still forsaken...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is there a text version of that announcement yet? I can't find one and I can't remember the exact words they used on the stream

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I said come in! posted:

[edit]

I'm very glad they're doing this, and it might be enough to bring me back to the game. It does raise the question of why they kept insisting that it was absolutely necessary and the only way to keep adding new content though.

And they've said they want people to be able to play through the whole story from beginning to end so I guess their goal is to bring back the removed expansions eventually? They'd also need to bring back the seasonal storylines for that to work though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

they kind of specified in the clip i saw that they wanted to make sure everything from the moon and after was available, so I assume forsaken, osiris and red war are all still memory holed

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

lmao looks like a cart-tilting glitch

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The most ideal situation would be to have all story content ever released from Destiny 1 and 2 be available in Destiny 2. It was originally meant to be one on-going storyline that expanded 10 years, but Bungie abandoned that idea a long time ago.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I said come in! posted:

The most ideal situation would be to have all story content ever released from Destiny 1 and 2 be available in Destiny 2.
and honestly at that point they should just take the number out and call it Destiny. it's clear that this is their forever MMO and there won't be another after this

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

and honestly at that point they should just take the number out and call it Destiny. it's clear that this is their forever MMO and there won't be another after this

I actually agree this is what they should do. The original plan back when Destiny was first announced, was a 10 year life span for the series, with a sequel every two years.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The 7th Guest posted:

They almost definitely won't but I hope Bungie makes a start on Destiny 3 once the 'saga' is done and make sure it's properly future proofed like a real MMO. Destiny 2 really wasn't built to be a forever game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

stev posted:

They almost definitely won't but I hope Bungie makes a start on Destiny 3 once the 'saga' is done and make sure it's properly future proofed like a real MMO. Destiny 2 really wasn't built to be a forever game.

We know that right now they are working on an entirely new IP with a Chinese developer. So for the far future they probably intend to just sunset support for Destiny altogether as an IP.