Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Nuns with Guns posted:

I think there's a difference between a story or setting whose primary fan interest lies in tooling around with the canon and making more interesting fanon out of it, like with Harry Potter or Homestuck, and "all TV shows and some video games."

Fair. Should've thought out my hyperbole better, even if it led to a hilarious derail.

Though now that you bring it up, was there any similar longform critique made about Homestuck's failings? Sarah Z's video was mostly about how the fandom evolved before shifting to being about Kickstarter woes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Even Goku considers “wants to kill Goku” a positive, because he’s a psychopath and loves the chance to fight someone who wants to kill him

remember when goku hired a hitman to kill goku

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
goku goes years without seeing his son and when he does, he forces him to get into fights

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Delphisage posted:

Fair. Should've thought out my hyperbole better, even if it led to a hilarious derail.

Though now that you bring it up, was there any similar longform critique made about Homestuck's failings? Sarah Z's video was mostly about how the fandom evolved before shifting to being about Kickstarter woes.

It's a podcast, not a video essay, so it's exceptionally longform but from what I've listened to so far that seems to be basically what Homestuck Made This World is effectively going for? It's more focused on Hussie's creative works as a whole and not just Homestuck, but that extra context if anything helps highlight where it came from, what it tried to do and ultimately how it failed.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea you can't use 'wants to kill goku' as a moral judgement, goku himself wants to kill goku if it means a cool fight

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Arc Hammer posted:

18 and 17 killed a ton of people in the evil future but because DB runs on multiverse logic the regular 17 and 18 didn't kill anyone. Vegeta killed more people just trying to touch 18 during their fight.

I guess 16 really mellowed them out...
Either that or Gero programmed them even worse.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I mean, I don't think 16 killed anyone, period. His whole deal was just that he wanted to specifically kill Goku and when he wasn't trying to do that he was sitting around, cavorting with wholesome woodland critters like a jacked-up Snow White...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea 16 didn't kill anyone, he just stood around being all 'none of these guys are goku why are you killing them', dude just wanted to do his job and frankly we stan him

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

Is it really? It feels like 'it happens in adventure manga' is the usual answer but it feels like most of the time it's just 'they didn't kill the bad guy and just kinda left him behind' more than them really joining.

I think DB is the biggest, yea, but even then as far as genuine active antagonists with body counts who join the team permanently and just get that stuff forgotten about you've got:

-Vegeta (worst offender, straight up genocide dude)
-18 (kinda arguable that she was programmed to do the killing and got fixed with the wish I guess?)
-Tien (Crane school were assassins but I don't think he actually did any killing in DB did he?)
-Yamcha (desert bandit poo poo but he was on the team near instantly)
-Piccolo (kinda shouldn't 'count' since he's just OG's piccolo's....kid??? Egg spawn?)
-Buu (again kinda an 18/Piccolo combo imo, he was used by Babadi to go killing then got the evil blasted out of him)

The rest are stuff like one off team ups with 17 and Frieza for the tournament of universes and all more than them really being a 'this guy who tried to kill us is our friend now'.

Honestly the biggest 'offenders' of the whole 'hello new best friend, I don't care any more that you killed an entire orphanage to try to lure me out and murder me' trope it really is supernatural dramas that get that treatment way more than anime and manga

I think they meant literally Dragon Ball and not Z. Because I'm sure there's a lot of characters from that that never made it to Z. Like android 8

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
oh, dur then. Yea DB was a bit more loose with who gets to be in the cool kids club but the whole constant wandering thing kinda kept it from being too obvious with stuff like 'hey didn't that android try to wipe out a native village, why are you chilling with him again? Oh, he said sorry'

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Lotus Aura posted:

It's a podcast, not a video essay, so it's exceptionally longform but from what I've listened to so far that seems to be basically what Homestuck Made This World is effectively going for? It's more focused on Hussie's creative works as a whole and not just Homestuck, but that extra context if anything helps highlight where it came from, what it tried to do and ultimately how it failed.

They also just started talking about the Kickstarter at the end of the most recent episode since they reached the point in the comic where the KS was happening at the same time. They haven't gone super in-depth with it at this time but imagine it will continue to come up as they go.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Lotus Aura posted:

I was actually imagining something like Dan Hemmens's written articles about Buffy and Harry Potter from Ferretbrain, but this is still a neat find. I'll listen to this on a later walk.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

goku goes years without seeing his son and when he does, he forces him to get into fights

It's funny how the new movie shows that Piccolo is a better grandpa than Goku.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
To be fair Super flanderized the hell out of Goku, although he's now ironically closer to the popular fan misconception of him as somebody who just wanted to fight strong dudes and prioritized that desire over the safety of his friends/family/world/entire universe. Yeah he threw Cell a senzu but that was because he misunderstood what Gohan wanted and once he realizes his mistake he sacrifices his life trying to kill Cell and then elects to stay dead because he recognizes every major antagonist that's shown up and threatened Earth in the past forever has done so gunning for him and hopes his moving on will lead to peace.

Which is funny because Vegeta meanwhile gets fleshed out pretty well in Super and I think it does a good job of showing how he's learned to acknowledge his love for his family and have an actual healthy, semi-normal relationship with his wife and kids while still very much being a warrior at heart who wants to grow stronger and surpass Goku.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
its okay to murder innocent people in dragon ball because you can just gather the dragon balls and wish them back later piccolo did this in the majin buu saga when he let majin buu kill everyone on earth to buy them an extra two minutes while goten and trunks trained in the hyperbolic time chamber

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 22, 2022

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

im gonna gather all the dragon balls and wish to be in one piece instead

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Sorry, you can't wish for anything the creator of the Dragon Balls couldn't do, doing so can lead to grave consequences...

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

its okay to murder innocent people in dragon ball because you can just gather the dragon balls and wish them back later piccolo did this in the majin buu saga when he let majin buu kill everyone on earth to buy them an extra two minutes while goten and trunks trained in the hyperbolic time chamber

:hmmyes:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
goku is smarter than yuffie

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Goku is also best buds with God and God's alternate timeline twin who decided to chill in the main timeline who can just alter reality in any way they see fit so there are absolutely zero stakes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

It's funny how the new movie shows that Piccolo is a better grandpa than Goku.

One of my favorite bits from a TFS game stream was on some game where Goten asked what Dad was like and Lani goes as Gohan "You've met Mr. Piccolo."

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

I think they meant literally Dragon Ball and not Z. Because I'm sure there's a lot of characters from that that never made it to Z. Like android 8

sexpig by night posted:

oh, dur then. Yea DB was a bit more loose with who gets to be in the cool kids club but the whole constant wandering thing kinda kept it from being too obvious with stuff like 'hey didn't that android try to wipe out a native village, why are you chilling with him again? Oh, he said sorry'

Aw, it's very sweet of you two to assume that I'm that clever:shobon:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

The 7th Guest posted:

pt 2 of Ray Mona's look into Western/American Sailor Moon (she also did the video on the girl games of lost media, used to have the handle bobdunga)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L67YFwnQCQ

it sounds like the full Saban pilot has been found

I finished watching this and it was really good.

Here's the first part if anyone wants the full 3.5-hour experience of someone trying to hunt down a 10 minute sizzle pilot for an embarassingly 90s children's show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdYD5StqHxk

Her interview with the woman who was cast for Sailor Jupiter was adorable.

Her interview with the head animation producer was.... nightmarish and I hope she blocked his number after she uploaded that 2nd video.

Here's the full 10 minute pilot if anyone just wants to marvel at what almost was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA2VOuqaOnk

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Nuns with Guns posted:

Her interview with the head animation producer was.... nightmarish and I hope she blocked his number after she uploaded that 2nd video.

When I heard he got into legal trouble I was expecting sexual harassment because yikeseroo

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Ok, this show is amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efpev0ztokM

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alacron posted:

Aw, it's very sweet of you two to assume that I'm that clever:shobon:

Nah I'm just super focused on spelling, since DB, DBZ and DBZ are all three different things and you've gotta be specific or you'll get them mixed up!

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

RareAcumen posted:

Nah I'm just super focused on spelling, since DB, DBZ and DBZ are all three different things and you've gotta be specific or you'll get them mixed up!

I also tend to get Z and Zuper mixed up.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Delphisage posted:

I also tend to get Z and Zuper mixed up.

They meant Dragonball ZT

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

My phone gets weird about typing sometimes, I meant to say DBFZ.

Hell, it might've even been autocorrect.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

To be fair.. Who sees a literal insta genocide attack coming?

Ironically we dont see the people Vegeta killed come back to life 3 times. (I Know way too much about these details you have no idea)

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
He definitely killed a bunch of people for keeps on Namek at minimum, they draw attention to the fact the wish missed reviving them.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

I mean, the morality of killing people in Dragon Ball is also kind of skewed by the fact that it takes place in a setting where the afterlife is 100% confirmed to exist and is a place we've seen.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

KingKalamari posted:

I mean, the morality of killing people in Dragon Ball is also kind of skewed by the fact that it takes place in a setting where the afterlife is 100% confirmed to exist and is a place we've seen.

You can also just teleport there if you know where it is

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

having caught bits and pieces dbz seems to exist in a strange space where everything is part of an overarching gag but also taken entirely seriously at the same time

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

having caught bits and pieces dbz seems to exist in a strange space where everything is part of an overarching gag but also taken entirely seriously at the same time

thats why dragon ball owns

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

toriyama's a comedy writer who accidently made one of the most successful action manga

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Verdis Joe once against reminding me off all the worst aspects of the internet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF6GRw0hgQ8

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

Z is actually the serious one a lot of the time. Super returns to being zanier. Kinda wild.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lupa takes a look at the dreadful 1992 reboot for My Little Pony. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5mc1Vv_YAE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

secretly best girl posted:

Z is actually the serious one a lot of the time. Super returns to being zanier. Kinda wild.

You even got a little bit of that near the tail-end of Z: The Majin Buu arc started to sneak a lot of the doofy weirdness from earlier in the series back in.

Also, I'm never going to stop being amused by the disconnect between how silly and lighthearted the series could get vs how edgy and seriously the initial wave of North American fans treated the series when it first started getting localized.