Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Groovelord Neato posted:

I can't imagine the draw of Sea of Thieves without PvP. Even going solo I liked having to park my ship in a good spot and keeping an eye on it.

Especially once you start collecting piles of treasure. What value does carrying large amounts of treasure hold when you can just fill up your boat without any danger and then just go around any PvE hazards on your way back to the vendors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Just sounds to me like they could make PvE more interesting :shrug:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Lifroc posted:

None of that makes data go faster than light anyway, centralised servers or not. If you're on the other side of the world, the fact that I've clicked on your toon needs to reach you. So yeah, either 6 second ticks or, like I suggested before, each in-game region is in a different continent, so you have regions where you have good ping and regions where you have crap ping.

To be fair we haven't reached the physical limits. I get about 90ms RTT to NYC from London, the theoretical limit with fibre laid in a perfectly straight line and every network device along the path using 0 processing time is about 56ms.
There are modern netcode implementations that run the server x ticks in the past and can rewrite history from that tick on. In a genre as slow as MMOs, that could handle the 300ms-600ms round the world pings fairly cleanly.

There are frustrating tradeoffs there for low ping players depending on implementation. Some games that use rollback netcode even favor high ping players slightly.

Albion already handles global players okay mostly because it has slow as molasses movement and mostly avoids reaction based combat.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 18, 2022

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Ranzear posted:

I'm sure latency correction isn't completely foreign to MMOs. There could be complications with game complexity and implementing state rewind for inputs and whatnot but imma tell you it's way more about laziness than it not being possible. Lacking any client side forward-sim is also just laziness but can and does look jank at low tick rates without a lot of blending.

Lifroc posted:

None of that makes data go faster than light anyway, centralised servers or not. If you're on the other side of the world, the fact that I've clicked on your toon needs to reach you. So yeah, either 6 second ticks or, like I suggested before, each in-game region is in a different continent, so you have regions where you have good ping and regions where you have crap ping.

To be fair we haven't reached the physical limits. I get about 90ms RTT to NYC from London, the theoretical limit with fibre laid in a perfectly straight line and every network device along the path using 0 processing time is about 56ms.

There are also far more tools to work with to solve latency issues when it comes to PvE games. PvP games have to carefully tweak the dial on lag compensation between "they shot me around a corner!" and "all my hits were invalid cause they ducked around a corner!". But NPCs don't complain about lag, so you can crank it all the way in the players' favor.

Protocol7 posted:

Just sounds to me like they could make PvE more interesting :shrug:

The PvE isn't designed to stand on its own, the PvP is there to support it and make the game fun. I'm also someone who has barely played it because the PvP puts me off, but if they want to remove the PvP they would indeed have to find some way to fill the void it'd leave behind.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Khorne posted:

There are modern netcode implementations that run the server x ticks in the past and can rewrite history from that tick on. In a genre as slow as MMOs, that could handle the 300ms-600ms round the world pings fairly cleanly.

There are frustrating tradeoffs there for low ping players depending on implementation. Some games that use rollback netcode even favor high ping players slightly.

Albion already handles global players okay mostly because it has slow as molasses movement and mostly avoids reaction based combat.

Great network prediction exists since Doom/Quake, and it's not a magic bullet. Yes, you can rewrite history, but it's a last resort. It's only used for moderate packet loss or very unstable connections, you can't use it always because it would feel absolutely terrible. You would not appreciate a PVP game where most of the enemy actions appear on your screen and are later "rolled back".

To be honest, I'd rather have MMOs with 50ms geographically constrained servers but are more fun mechanically, than limiting any action to 600 ms. Hence why I absolutely despise tab targeting, but I understand why it's the default choice for most massively multiplayer games.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CEa3oAf0Po

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1028510/Past_Fate/

Past Fate: an open world MMORPG set to release in open alpha I think now? Soon? Haven't heard anything about it.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

How's the Riot MMO going everyone?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Lifroc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CEa3oAf0Po

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1028510/Past_Fate/

Past Fate: an open world MMORPG set to release in open alpha I think now? Soon? Haven't heard anything about it.

Glad to see they're still re-using assets and animations from Two Worlds today

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

frajaq posted:

The only people who know are the people working on it. Ghostcrawler has said they want to release some solid information about it this year and my guess for that would be around the big League championship game in November. He talks about it decently often on his Twitter, but never in specifics so its just reading entrails for the most part.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 18, 2022

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

PyRosflam posted:

WoW has had to remove many many macro commands over the years from abuse. Early in my wow career I had a single button that was so smart it would change my stance, select the correct highest DPS button, and mash all my abilities more or less non stop forever.

which just shows how shallow the game really is :smugbert:

i'm waiting for the game that expects you to macro six subscribed accounts simultaneously at the highest echelons of play, with raids that require six groups of six boxers to win.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

frajaq posted:

Riots CGI trailers for League of Legends get nearly 140 million views on Youtube. This MMO is going to absolutely crush World of Warcraft when it comes out.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Lifroc posted:

Great network prediction exists since Doom/Quake, and it's not a magic bullet. Yes, you can rewrite history, but it's a last resort. It's only used for moderate packet loss or very unstable connections, you can't use it always because it would feel absolutely terrible. You would not appreciate a PVP game where most of the enemy actions appear on your screen and are later "rolled back".

To be honest, I'd rather have MMOs with 50ms geographically constrained servers but are more fun mechanically, than limiting any action to 600 ms. Hence why I absolutely despise tab targeting, but I understand why it's the default choice for most massively multiplayer games.

Things like this are why I argue that PvE is critical to the social fabric of a non-niche MMO, to the point that a new MMO should probably be entirely PvE and focus on having compelling mechanics that people can do both solo and in co-op. It turns out PvP is loving hard as balls to design even before you get into how it's stressful for a lot of potential players.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the problem with pvp nowadays is that there just aren't enough noble looters anymore

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Bruceski posted:

The main issue we run into is how Savage is gated. Each week you need to do all four in order, so with our time limits we could clear P1S and P2S and then wouldn't have time to start practicing P3S. That started when those gates got removed... 6 weeks ago?

If you're willing to put in a bit of time waiting in PF, you can try to get a taxi/skip to the fight that you're currently on. Just have someone who has cleared (or just reached it) for the week join and once you get a full group that person can queue everyone into p3s. Then everyone just leaves immediately after loading in with the ability to queue their groups into p3s. You'd give up the loot from the fights that you skip for the week though.

I was skipping people to p4s for awhile on chaos and other people started doing that too after a week or two. I like to think I made a difference :kiddo:

Xun fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Aug 19, 2022

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Xun posted:

If you're willing to put in a bit of time waiting in PF, you can try to get a taxi/skip to the fight that you're currently on. Just have someone who has cleared (or just reached it) for the week join and once you get a full group that person can queue everyone into p3s. Then everyone just leaves immediately after loading in with the ability to queue their groups into p3s. You'd give up the loot from the fights that you skip for the week though.

I was skipping people to p4s for awhile on chaos and other people started doing that too after a week or two. I like to think I made a difference :kiddo:

Yeah but we were crud at coordinating and by the time we were getting on top of "no Bob, we don't need to run P1S again so you can get a ring for that fourth job you don't actually run" the lockout was removed.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
There will never be a good PVP MMO ever again.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Third World Reagan posted:

a shame they didn't go the way of eq2 or vanguard with an offensive and defensive target

or eq2s auto cast through defensive target

A page back but they kind of have something similar, you can have a focus target and a ‘hard’ target. So you can hard target the boss to dps and have a focus target to heal. It’s a bit janky tho with the mechanics for switching.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
That is the shame I am talking about.

You just click offensive target, click defensive target, and offensive spells go one way and defensive spells go another.

It is that easy.

Or the other one where you target your tank or MA, and all spells hit them or go through them to their target.

Again, that easy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Not really an MMO, but I am surprised there isn’t a Star Wars survival crafting game yet.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Rexicon1 posted:

There was never a good one in the first place. People just had less options at the time so took what was available.

I think the battle royale genre captured that demographic. All the PVP minus the mmo busywork part.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Rexicon1 posted:

Ah man, this weekend I really got into Albion Online, after faffing about with it for a while last year. It's got a few problems, but it's been having a big influx of players since they released the mobile version, the past few updates have been really good and it feels there's a lot of momentum in the right direction with that game. I'm actually very optimistic for its future.

I'm still quite terrible at it, the instanced PVP modes are a bit too meta heavy, but the open world PVP is exhilarating. Moved all my belonging and meagre monies in the black zone, every excursion keeps you on edge, yet I've been able to escape gankers twice successfully. I'll be joining the goon guild soon, can't wait to go clapping cheeks when my economy gets a little better.

My only hope is SBI doesn't start to mismanage the game like CCP has done for the past how many years.

EDIT: as far as the MMO aspect goes, I've had more interaction in 2 days with that game than with FFXIV or New World. Partied up with randoms in dungeons, dueled people, joined a zerg. Looking forward to the guild and party finder rework that's due to come out this year.

Lifroc fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Aug 22, 2022

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Lifroc posted:

Ah man, this weekend I really got into Albion Online, after faffing about with it for a while last year. It's got a few problems, but it's been having a big influx of players since they released the mobile version, the past few updates have been really good and it feels there's a lot of momentum in the right direction with that game. I'm actually very optimistic for its future.

I'm still quite terrible at it, the instanced PVP modes are a bit too meta heavy, but the open world PVP is exhilarating. Moved all my belonging and meagre monies in the black zone, every excursion keeps you on edge, yet I've been able to escape gankers twice successfully. I'll be joining the goon guild soon, can't wait to go clapping cheeks when my economy gets a little better.

My only hope is SBI doesn't start to mismanage the game like CCP has done for the past how many years.

EDIT: as far as the MMO aspect goes, I've had more interaction in 2 days with that game than with FFXIV or New World. Partied up with randoms in dungeons, dueled people, joined a zerg. Looking forward to the guild and party finder rework that's due to come out this year.

Godspeed PVPMMO guy. May you walk on warm sands.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Lifroc posted:

Ah man, this weekend I really got into Albion Online, after faffing about with it for a while last year

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dune survival MMO just got announced.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

I said come in! posted:

finally: a good mmo. congratulations everyone, the wait has been worth it. see you on the dunes

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Can't wait to rp a worm.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

can I pvp the worm?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

u can probably pve the worm

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
would you still love me if i was shai-hulud?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kaysette posted:

would you still love me if i was shai-hulud?

I would love you even more.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

A Dune mmo is such a reasonable thing. Wide open expanses of gently caress all. A bunch of massive fans of convoluted lore. And a dumb but plausible explanation of why your future space wizards are trying to beat each other to death with clubs.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I hope there's player sietching

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

I hope there's desert power

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

I said come in! posted:

We sure it will not be a Rust clone? Because I do not believe we will get nice things. Or bad things that are bad in a way we like.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I hope you instantly die if you walk with rhythm

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Kevin Bacon posted:

I hope there's desert power

boots of the desert, +5% to desert power

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Lt. Lizard posted:

We sure it will not be a Rust clone? Because I do not believe we will get nice things. Or bad things that are bad in a way we like.

A reskin of Conan Exiles does seem more likely.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DaitoX posted:

A reskin of Conan Exiles does seem more likely.

I missed that this is made by Funcom. Yep, this is Conan Exiles.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

30.5 Days posted:

I hope you instantly die if you walk with rhythm

this :xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity: