Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

goatface posted:

They might only kill a few of them in the immediate vicinity, but King dad might also follow up again.

Well, the last time a member of Valliant's family was kidnapped, Valiant pursued them across an ocean and knocked the perpetrator off a waterfall, while his dad seized the perpetrator's father's kingdom, and had the perpetrator's father and retainers executed as traitors.

So, nothing to worry about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Kavak posted:

It was a more innocent time... I think... I hope.

Please just say it was and move on. I’d rather not have half of Calvin and Hobbes timg’ed because he’s in the bathtub. It’s only been in the past ten or twenty years that they stopped showing bare-bottomed kids in the occasional comic. Nobody cared then. It’s depressing we have to care now.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

don Jaime posted:

Please just say it was and move on. I’d rather not have half of Calvin and Hobbes timg’ed because he’s in the bathtub. It’s only been in the past ten or twenty years that they stopped showing bare-bottomed kids in the occasional comic. Nobody cared then. It’s depressing we have to care now.

I feel like it's more the grown shirtless man looking down on them and smiling.

But yeah, I agree this is one of those things that was just something nobody thought twice of at the time, that seems uncomfortable to us in the modern day. Like in one of the Our Boarding Houses when one character called another "gay boy," which wasn't even really an insult. It looks bad to our modern culture because that's just how the word has changed, but it wasn't weird or out of place then.

I'd like to say this is also different from the depictions of black characters in comics, which actually were rooted in racism and weren't just innocent relics from a different age.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I always appreciate how aware Cooper is of soft company scams.

Laffo. This one is good and subtle.

Why does the bigger L-Innsikt not just eat the weaker ones?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Embrace the wobbly flesh parade.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Arnold (August 29-September 4, 1983)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'm so glad we're past the days of PEOPLE ON WIRELESS HEADSETS LOOK LIKE THEY'RE TALKING TO THEMSELVES, AMIRITE? jokes.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Haifisch posted:

I'm so glad we're past the days of PEOPLE ON WIRELESS HEADSETS LOOK LIKE THEY'RE TALKING TO THEMSELVES, AMIRITE? jokes.
[takes out my earbuds] What, I couldn't hear you.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (November 2, 1934)

Peanuts (August 26, 1975)

Bullshit Sentimentality

Dude.

Your alcoholism cost you your first wife. Your business expansion failed. Your cousin was a prisoner of war who came home with severe PTSD and face blindness for everyone except the woman who remarried after thinking he was dead. Your best friend lost the love of his life to cancer, and decades later he's still very clearly failing to adjust to life without her. One of your former classmates killed himself rather than have his concussion-related dementia become a burden on his loved ones. And one of your employees almost got deported by ICE because someone got lazy with their paperwork. And those are just the ones off the top of my head.

It doesn't matter if we're talking about Funky Winkerbean the character or Funky Winkerbean the comic strip, that last line isn't even remotely true.

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (March 24, 1939)

It's an all-mother Tuesday in today's Out Our Way! (August 28-30, 1939)

e: because the Washington Post published a piece on Tom Batiuk to celebrate 50 years of Funky (potentially paywalled).

https://twitter.com/SonofStuckFunky/status/1561877062805241858

There are a few details worth noting (like how he negotiated with the syndicate for editorial control (which might explain a few things in recent years) and how Lisa's teen pregnancy arc was a real "road to Damascus moment" in the development of the strip into its current form), but holy schlamoley one line just jumps me in a dark alley and asks me for my wallet at gunpoint: "Shortly after Lisa’s death, Batiuk decided to reboot “Funky” again because he didn’t want to dwell on Les’s mourning."

:argh: BECAUSE HE DIDN'T WANT TO DWELL ON LES'S MOURNING. :argh:

Excuse me while I stick my head in a bucket of cold water.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 23, 2022

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

I may need a refresher on Zelda. Here's what I remember: Zelda was hanging out in New York (maybe) with her rich and talented friend Nova, who Zelda sorta resents for being rich and talented even though Nova's very nice to Zelda. Then Zelda met Nova's brother Ariel, who was also very nice to her, and started dating him. At that point the comic skipped forward a few years (maybe) and Zelda had a kid. It was strongly implied that Ariel was the kid's father based on Zelda's interactions with Nova and Nova's mom, but Ariel himself hasn't been seen or mentioned by name in the strip since the time skip.

Am I up to date, or did I miss some important parts of the comic?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kid Fenris posted:

I may need a refresher on Zelda. Here's what I remember: Zelda was hanging out in New York (maybe) with her rich and talented friend Nova, who Zelda sorta resents for being rich and talented even though Nova's very nice to Zelda. Then Zelda met Nova's brother Ariel, who was also very nice to her, and started dating him. At that point the comic skipped forward a few years (maybe) and Zelda had a kid. It was strongly implied that Ariel was the kid's father based on Zelda's interactions with Nova and Nova's mom, but Ariel himself hasn't been seen or mentioned by name in the strip since the time skip.

Am I up to date, or did I miss some important parts of the comic?

That's pretty much it.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hostile V posted:

[takes out my earbuds] What, I couldn't hear you.

*helplessly rings bicycle bell at the 463rd straight person walking in the bike lane with a headset on.*

I'm seriously thinking about trading in my bell for an airhorn.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Mar 15-16, 1992)

There's something profoundly sad about Calvin's fantasies revolving around his parents appreciating his efforts and the whole family being in harmony.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I Guess Gex Is Just Here Now.

The Thrilling Adventures Of Interspecies Commerce

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Walt is righter than he knows.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hostile V posted:

The Thrilling Adventures Of Interspecies Commerce
Their "society" is so segregated that species have their own economies? What about all the other burrowing animals? Why am I thinking about this when the author clearly didn't?

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Cthulhu and Girl

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Poil posted:

Their "society" is so segregated that species have their own economies? What about all the other burrowing animals? Why am I thinking about this when the author clearly didn't?
It's 2009 and everyone's in a recession. I hope this answers your question.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

What slur? They both just said "rabbits." It's a harmful stereotype sure but there wasn't anything that qualifies as a slur in those statements.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Actually I was wondering why all the beavers look like badgers.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

I wasn't familiar with the term (in English), so let's clarify that a croft is a piece of land that's taken care by a tenant farmer (who pays rent for the right to live on and farm that land). The Nordic term is torp(pa).

This story was published around the same time as one of the most important Finnish novels Under the North Star, which addresses the rising tensions between the crofters and land owners in the late 19th and early 20th century.
e. scratch that, this was 10 years earlier.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 26, 2022

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Do you now.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Uh-oh. Is this going to be as depressing as The Great Happiness Space?

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0493420/

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I like Into Ilves a lot and gotta laugh at how often he befriends a new character by saving them from their suddenly antagonistic horse. This is undoubtedly the second time in two stories and likely the third if my memory were better. Love the thick line art, wide expressions and BIG energy of the big guy he's talking to, especially when he was lounging in the cart. Like the artist sat down and had a real critical brainstorming session about "what's the most opulent, successful and balling a rural European farmer can be?"

Jucika "416 - Jucika In A Fog"

"417 - Jucika And The Tranquilizer Joke"

"idegcsillapító(is also) = bromide/sedative"

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Is "management temp assignment" a thing?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Zereth posted:

Do you now.

Skelley is one of those people who probably still believes you can get a job by walking up to the owner, looking him straight in the eye, and saying "Mister, I'm the man for the job."

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Safety Dance posted:

I don't think so, no.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

"Uh, OK, whatever."

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

consultants

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Mozz also looked particularly handsome when he said it and I remember thinking how great he was when he told me.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Twelve by Pies posted:

What slur? They both just said "rabbits." It's a harmful stereotype sure but there wasn't anything that qualifies as a slur in those statements.

I think it's the part about Rabbits Being Good At Fuckin, which in the K&K universe is actually true and is often used as a punchline by Holbrook.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

...and I put it in your salad! Tell me - and remember, this is for posterity, so be honest - how do you feel?

Edit: And speaking of poisonings - is there a tutorial out there for uploading and posting multiple items to imgur?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Lottie looking really off-model in the last panel

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Ya got a good kid, Zelda.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (August 31-September 2, 1922)

Toonerville Folks (November 17-19, 1919)

And while we're in the neighborhood, Clare Victor "Dwig" Dwiggins' School Days gives me a sense of deja vu. (November 19, 1919)

Dok's "Don't Cross The Wartime Underground" Duck (April 26, 1914)

Little Lefty (April 5-7, 1937)

Blondie From Zero, in which we're not done with Gil after all, drat the luck. (September 19-21, 1932; spoilered for stereotype humor.)

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Outbursts of Everett True July 24, 1919

And He Did! August 7, 1919

Cat Tales July 9, 1925

Oaky Doaks December 31, 1936
Spoilered for offensive racist stereotypes.

Mopsy March 14, 1938

Sweatin’ It Out July 31, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems September 20, 1952

Those Were the Days March 15, 1962

Wee Pals September 23, 1966

Dogbert July 31, 1967

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

¡Aragones! spoilered for the usual reason