Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

some kinda jackal posted:

I, uh.. I took it shopping.

I love my little nerd utility bike. Basically perfect for a chill grocery run.

Is this the Chinese one? How's it holding up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Its a DRZ :3:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lmao

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I just can't do sidecases with the amount of filtering I do, they'd make my rear end so much wider I'd be stuck in traffic all the time.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

And I say that as DRZ Superfan #1

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

SEKCobra posted:

I just can't do sidecases with the amount of filtering I do, they'd make my rear end so much wider I'd be stuck in traffic all the time.

I haven’t really had an issue filtering with panniers on the vfr. Maybe I’ll crash tho who knows lol

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

A MIRACLE posted:

I haven’t really had an issue filtering with panniers on the vfr. Maybe I’ll crash tho who knows lol

Our roads aren't very wide and I am oftentimes already limited by handlebar width, panniers would be even wider.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I dunno, I like having panniers on my bike when I go shopping, sorry if this is a weird setup? :confused:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Nah. post up in the dadbike thread. You're one of us now.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I went to a blowed up mountain. It was pretty cool.

(It was actually hot as gently caress today, but I kept moving so it was fine.)

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I was one mountain North of you for most of the weekend (she's being shy in the photo); it was nice and cool near the top but in the 80's everywhere else. Def had to keep moving and hydrated.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

I dunno, I like having panniers on my bike when I go shopping, sorry if this is a weird setup? :confused:

Nah you got me wrong, I would love panniers, but I just realized that they would be more of a hindrance to me.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

SEKCobra posted:

Nah you got me wrong, I would love panniers, but I just realized that they would be more of a hindrance to me.

Oh, no dig at you. I park the DRZ in my backyard shed and have to maneuver out between a fence gate, slalom through three soil and mulch bulk bags, and then the two cars in my driveway. That's a pain in the rear end, and still more room than the average commuter is likely to leave for you so I 100% get it.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Oh, no dig at you. I park the DRZ in my backyard shed and have to maneuver out between a fence gate, slalom through three soil and mulch bulk bags, and then the two cars in my driveway. That's a pain in the rear end, and still more room than the average commuter is likely to leave for you so I 100% get it.

Cut your bars down like a woods racer.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

e; poo poo that's very unsharp sorry

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 10, 2022

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

That’s gotta be the Chinese one.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Come to think of it, current GN125s are outsourced to Suzuki factories in China. Just how many other makes and models are in this situation?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slide Hammer posted:

Come to think of it, current GN125s are outsourced to Suzuki factories in China. Just how many other makes and models are in this situation?

There is no sub-250 japanese bike that is actually made in Japan afaik, they are all built in Thailand or Malaysia, as are the Honda cb300, 500 and 650 models. Ktm 390's are built in India, as are bmw g310's. Every Benelli I've seen was made in china.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

There is no sub-250 japanese bike that is actually made in Japan afaik, they are all built in Thailand or Malaysia, as are the Honda cb300, 500 and 650 models. Ktm 390's are built in India, as are bmw g310's. Every Benelli I've seen was made in china.

I really wish we had access to the QC data for these factories and then comprehensive studies of reliability and fit and finish etc too. I’d be so curious to see how much manufacturing in a given location determines build quality vs customer order and schematics.

i.e. is the 390 India’s fault or KTM’s? :iiam:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Remy Marathe posted:

e; poo poo that's very unsharp sorry

I disagree, that's very sharp looking :cool:

I love that the small rotopax probably literally doubles the fuel capacity here.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
In my experience, QC data from factories in lower-wage countries are useless, because no one higher up wants to follow up on them because that might force them to realize moving production there might have been a bad idea and someone might have to be held responsible and that would be awkward. So the numbers are seldom accurate, and no one cares that they aren't.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

builds character posted:

I really wish we had access to the QC data for these factories and then comprehensive studies of reliability and fit and finish etc too. I’d be so curious to see how much manufacturing in a given location determines build quality vs customer order and schematics.

It’s always KTM’s fault.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

builds character posted:

At least with cars, Japanese manufacturers are known to be rigorous about enforcing their quality control standards in overseas factories. (e.g. Toyota Tundra is made in Texas but is still the most reliable large pickup). Japanese automakers have been making more cars abroad than in Japan since 2006, so I imagine they have a pretty robust system for enforcing quality for motorcycles too.

But yeah, I really wish we had some more robust data.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

T Zero posted:

At least with cars, Japanese manufacturers are known to be rigorous about enforcing their quality control standards in overseas factories. (e.g. Toyota Tundra is made in Texas but is still the most reliable large pickup). Japanese automakers have been making more cars abroad than in Japan since 2006, so I imagine they have a pretty robust system for enforcing quality for motorcycles too.

But yeah, I really wish we had some more robust data.
I have a Thai Honda, and it's totally fine in terms of build quality. Yes there are many pieces of cheap plastic but that's a design/cost issue more than anything.

China et al are perfectly capable of building a quality product. Poor quality is definitely an OEM issue. China in particular has a bad reputation because it's rife with FYGM capitalism. If they make a cheap knock off, and you waste your money on it, that's your fault.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It is definitely down to what the parent company do, the southeast asian Hondas clearly have a simpler and cheaper design in lots of areas but they're perfectly reliable and consistent from bike to bike. Ktm deliberately made the choice to produce garbage.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I love that the small rotopax probably literally doubles the fuel capacity here.

Heh yep, slightly more than doubles it, 1.75 us Gallons versus 1.70. My low gas light normally comes on ~80 miles into a tank.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Fyi if you go to the end of paradise road into the national forest there's a lot of simple dirt road open to motorcycles that's less advanced than divide peak. I miss living there.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Thanks for the reminder that area exists, haven't been back there in ages and now I remember being stopped on my GS500 by an "adventure trail" that looked tantalizing. At the time I think it required a permit from the parks and I was broke. The Divide Peak OHV trail just barely reopened this spring, not sure if it was a pandemic or fire-related closure.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Beware though it's the trail that the dirtbike thread got it's title from :ssh:

E-P
Apr 21, 2016
[img][/img]]

Is this how you post images I have no idea still 🤔

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

E-P posted:

Is this how you post images I have no idea still 🤔

Chinese bikes are coming along in leaps and bounds, impressive

You don't need the url stuff or the extra img tags

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Love it, but does the Xiaomi phone really brand-watermark its photos? :psyduck:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Love it, but does the Xiaomi phone really brand-watermark its photos? :psyduck:

You can turn it off in the settings. It's just there because some people really love branding I guess?!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh not trying to be critical, it just seemed so weird for a vendor to intrusively tag a photo.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Some other china brands like Blackview also has the same "feature" on by default.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I think it actually comes from Samsung.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

I think it actually comes from Samsung.

Idk about that, I've had Samsungs for over a decade and none of them ever watermarked a photo.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
New biek!

2017 SV650 ABS, just over 10K miles.

Picked up this weekend.

First step was reinstall factory mirrors as the little bullshit bar end mirrors weren't very useful.

Got it all legal to ride (paperwork and state inspection)

Now to make room in the garage, it's a real tight fit right now between my car and the 2 motorcycles.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hell yeah nice work! I remember the M4 exhausts sounding Real Good™️ on the 2nd gens, I’d imagine they’re the same on the new ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Tyro posted:

2017 SV650 ABS, just over 10K miles.

Nice, always loved the look of the round-headlight SVs, old and new.

Tyro posted:

Now to make room in the garage, it's a real tight fit right now between my car all the kids' stuff.

Fixed for me :bighow: