Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
there's also the super simple fact that Russia is putting huge ammo dumps in occupied territory full of plenty of people who hate them and want them gone. zero fancy intel or tech poo poo required.

ukraine did streamline a process on literally day 1 for getting civilian tips to people who can use them and it continues to be immensely effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Wasabi the J posted:

I keep imagining 92-series SNCO's dick-waving about how supply won the war.

:chiefsay:

Leaders jumping into OIF and Afghanistan and Vietnam, ready to find a war no amount of logistics could win.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

ukraine did streamline a process on literally day 1 for getting civilian tips to people who can use them and it continues to be immensely effective.

Turns out it's a lot harder to keep a lid on that kind of thing when you can't just triangulate the handful of radio sets the enemy agents are using and instead everyone has a phone in their pockets at all times.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

mlmp08 posted:

Leaders jumping into OIF and Afghanistan and Vietnam, ready to find a war no amount of logistics could win.
On the other hand, they could keep going on for limitless amounts of time. It's nuts Afghanistan went on for two decades

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Arrath posted:

Turns out it's a lot harder to keep a lid on that kind of thing when you can't just triangulate the handful of radio sets the enemy agents are using and instead everyone has a phone in their pockets at all times.

That really got driven home in that VDV guy's recounting of the Kherson invasion where he starts to realize that every civilian from teenager to pensioner they're passing are on their phones taking pictures and sending texts.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Terrifying Effigies posted:

That really got driven home in that VDV guy's recounting of the Kherson invasion where he starts to realize that every civilian from teenager to pensioner they're passing are on their phones taking pictures and sending texts.

I'm kind of surprised that Russia didn't just... try to destroy every cell tower and telecommunications building they passed, honestly.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Quackles posted:

I'm kind of surprised that Russia didn't just... try to destroy every cell tower and telecommunications building they passed, honestly.

Well, their jammers worked against their own secure comms. Those that they actually had and didn't only exist on paper. So they were forced to use those same cell towers and networks.

So I recall reading in the first few months, anyway.

https://asiatimes.com/2022/05/the-fatal-failure-of-russias-era-cryptophone-system/

E: VVV my man.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 24, 2022

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Arrath posted:

Well, see, their jammers worked against their own secure comms. Those that they actually had and didn't only exist on paper. So they were forced to use those same cell towers and networks.

And the secure comms their jammers didn't block ... relied on 3G cell phone tower availability. That they blew up.

bennyfactor fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 24, 2022

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Marshal Prolapse posted:

https://twitter.com/adolfputin12/status/1561833254247964675?s=21&t=RZ0zHUJg5YaxGMBRVMpxOQ

Also he got booted off Twitter again for operating another account after he was kicked off before.

lmao

loving loser got trump lawyered

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

This is the first big conventional war where commercial satellite imagery of the operational area is available daily and good enough to work out exactly where ammo depots are (particularly if you already know where to search because you had a tip off). That, combined with long range precision fires is demonstrating just how different the nature of modern peer warfare is.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Alchenar posted:

This is the first big conventional war where commercial satellite imagery of the operational area is available daily and good enough to work out exactly where ammo depots are (particularly if you already know where to search because you had a tip off). That, combined with long range precision fires is demonstrating just how different the nature of modern peer warfare is.

We're learning just what "if you can see it, you can kill it" really means.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

We're learning just what "if you can see it, you can kill it" really means.

I think the difference between MRLS and HIMARS is the highlight: no I don't need tracked off-road capability and twice the missile count on the GPS guided fires system that reloads cells in five minutes anyway. What I want is to be able to drive 200km to my launch point, fire everything, and drive 200km back possibly to somewhere else entirely, all before the sun comes up. Then do it again tomorrow.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1562408730947461120?s=20&t=6Pew5gvTyezg-wsujUNQpA

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Saw a video of a Ukrainian partisan talking about a gun and then the camera pulled back to show he had some hogtied Russian on the ground. You don't see what happens...but I'm going to say it does not end well for the hogtied person. . Also don't be a Russian solider in Kherson. One thought he'd mess around with a young girl...and got his throat cut.

Not quite what the Russian's were hoping for from their "little brothers."

In other news Pope Francis continues to show his full rear end.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/pope-warns-potential-nuclear-disaster-ukraines-zaporizhzhia-plant-2022-08-24/

quote:

VATICAN CITY, Aug 24 (Reuters) - Ukraine's ambassador to the Vatican on Wednesday criticised Pope Francis for referring to Darya Dugina, daughter of a prominent Russian ultra-nationalist, who was killed by a car bomb near Moscow, as an innocent victim of war.

It is highly unusual for ambassadors to the Vatican to criticise the pope publicly.

"Innocents pay for war," Francis said earlier at his Wednesday general audience in a sentence where he referred to "that poor girl thrown in the air by a bomb under the seat of a car in Moscow".

Russia blamed the killing on Ukrainian agents, a charge Kyiv denies. read more

Alexander Dugin, Darya's father, has long advocated the unification of Russian-speaking and other territories in a new Russian empire that would include Ukraine.

Darya Dugina broadly supported her father's ideas and appeared on state TV in her own right to offer support for Russia's actions in Ukraine. read more

In a Tweet, Andrii Yurash, Ukraine's ambassador to the Holy See, said the pope's words were "disappointing".

"How (is it) possible to mention one of ideologists of (Russian) imperialism as innocent victim? She was killed by Russians," he said.

Francis called the war "madness". He said Ukrainian and Russian children had been killed and that "being an orphan knows no nationality".

In his Tweet, Yurash said: "can’t speak in same categories about aggressor and victim, rapist and raped".

The Vatican did not immediately respond to Yurash's comments.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 24, 2022

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Saw a video of a Ukrainian partisan talking about a gun and then the camera pulled bad to show he had some hogtied Russian on the ground. You don't see what happens...but I'm going to say it does not end well for the hogtied person.

Man, gently caress that. Obviously people die in war, it’s no fun getting shelled or having explosions wake you up or getting shot at. But there’s something so hosed about electing to torture or murder someone after they’re restrained/captured. Not just in wartime, I hate corporal and capital punishment for the same reason. Continuing violence after neutralizing the threat just sits wrong with me.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If it's local partisans, Ukraine mil/gov has no control what they do. It's locals taking out vengeance and anger on invading rapists, murderers and thieves, in their perspective. Justifiable or not, it's going to keep happening.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mlmp08 posted:

Man, gently caress that. Obviously people die in war, it’s no fun getting shelled or having explosions wake you up or getting shot at. But there’s something so hosed about electing to torture or murder someone after they’re restrained/captured. Not just in wartime, I hate corporal and capital punishment for the same reason. Continuing violence after neutralizing the threat just sits wrong with me.

Eh I can understand that it's distasteful, but it's not like teenage girls weren't doing it to Nazi's, in I want to say the Netherlands or Denmark. They'd lure Nazi's from bars and then take them to the woods, where they'd get whacked and buried.

I'm not saying this is cool and all, but I understand.

In the end this is the fault of the Russian Federation and no one else. They should have listened to Gritty.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

If it's local partisans, Ukraine mil/gov has no control what they do. It's locals taking out vengeance and anger on invading rapists, murderers and thieves, in their perspective. Justifiable or not, it's going to keep happening.

I actually think there is some coordination between Kyiv and local groups. It's talked about in a recent NYTimes article about partisians in Kherson.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Its any torture that I'd be firmly against, knifing/shooting/bombing occupiers is fair game. Its not like you can imprison them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Partisans are not exactly setup to hold prisoners of war either. You take a guy, he can identify you possibly, you cannot risk them telling others who might be in a resistance.

Its sucks, but that's the nature of it. But yeah, boo on torture, just kill them and be done with it.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Hashing out which kind of Isis video you're personally okay with is not a great look, guys.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

M_Gargantua posted:

Its any torture that I'd be firmly against, knifing/shooting/bombing occupiers is fair game. Its not like you can imprison them.

Yeah, I totally understand that. I mean if anything torturing them is pointless, time wasting, and more likely to get you got (and you know will get the Abyss staring back at you), then just doming them and burying the corpse...especially since it's not like the Russian's could be assed to even care or look for the person.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Hashing out which kind of Isis video you're personally okay with is not a great look, guys.

That's not what's happening here, but thanks for contributing to the discussion.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
This is a settler-colonial war of extermination. If you don't want the violence characteristic of this kind of war, don't engage in it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Dropping hog tied russians in a river would save bullets...

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

They invaded, they get what's coming to them.

Easy as that.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The line between brutish terrorism and partisan action is entirely one of moral definition.

French Partisans in WWII? Moral and right, justified in what they did while they were called rebels are terrorists by the Germans

ISIS? You do not at all gotta hand it to them. Just Terrorists.

Its pretty clear Ukrainian's are in the justified category, but it is somewhat a hindsight thing as well.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

Partisans aren't protected by laws like soldiers, kill or be killed is the usual way.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Just Another Lurker posted:

Partisans aren't protected by laws like soldiers, kill or be killed is the usual way.

There is actually no third category. Either they are soldiers, and should get POW protections, or they are civilians, and should be tried in the civilian justice system.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

The line between brutish terrorism and partisan action is entirely one of moral definition.

French Partisans in WWII? Moral and right, justified in what they did while they were called rebels are terrorists by the Germans

ISIS? You do not at all gotta hand it to them. Just Terrorists.

Its pretty clear Ukrainian's are in the justified category, but it is somewhat a hindsight thing as well.

And given that Russia is re-enacting a lot of the mass punishment genocide poo poo the Nazis loved to use, slaughtering whole towns and massacring civilians, comparing partisians to ISIS is laughable.

They are literally being invaded, slaughtered, deported, their children ripped from them and the survivors shipped to Russia.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Xakura posted:

There is actually no third category. Either they are soldiers, and should get POW protections, or they are civilians, and should be tried in the civilian justice system.

Gonna need some Ukrainian Judge Dredds over here.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Xakura posted:

Civilian justice system.... during an occupation? You should know better than that.

spittoon
May 15, 2009

Terrifying Effigies posted:

OTOH, it seems like it would be pretty easy for Russia to spam the tips hotline with a flood of misreporting/disinfo. Or even just keeping the operators busy all day so the right stuff can’t get through. The numbers for these hotlines can’t be that hard to track down, and this is the kind of thing Russia’s good at, even in peacetime - I’m sure they’re throwing even more resources at it now.

How do you counter that, making sure that the info you’re receiving is actually from trustworthy sources and filtering out the attempts to jam the system? Someone upthread mentioned Ukraine had streamlined a system for this on Day 1, what is that system?

(Obvs don’t divulge anything Ukrainian opsec wizard would curse you for)

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

M_Gargantua posted:

Civilian justice system.... during an occupation? You should know better than that.

Doesn't matter. There is no third category of captives. It's soldiers or civilians.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Some dude calling the person they hate a pedo to justify their murder to the world and presumably themselves means very little wrt their actually being a pedo. Like they might be one or dude might just be hyping himself up to do the murder.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Gonna need some Ukrainian Judge Dredds over here.

P sure they are all engaged with the Russians already

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spittoon posted:

OTOH, it seems like it would be pretty easy for Russia to spam the tips hotline with a flood of misreporting/disinfo. Or even just keeping the operators busy all day so the right stuff can’t get through. The numbers for these hotlines can’t be that hard to track down, and this is the kind of thing Russia’s good at, even in peacetime - I’m sure they’re throwing even more resources at it now.

That reminds me some Russian douche on twitter is posting Ukrainian Troop positions. If anyone wants they can report it for encouraging violence under harassment by national origin, it's appreciated.

https://twitter.com/nabrezhnye/status/1562060184046178304?s=20&t=dQZsDEcEzHkR4sS010e06A

Regarding Ukraine. I'll try and find the full English text of the law, but this is the Day 1 thing.

https://www.kyivpost.com/ukraine-politics/understanding-ukraines-national-resistance.html

It's some here on the Rada's page. I'll keep looking for it, but it's really neat to look over the last 6 months and see how a democracy can still maintain itself during an invasion.

https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/main/en/df202207/sps

Google Translate actually does a pretty decent job. I'm honestly impressed with the improvement in computer based translations over the last decade. Granted I don't know how well it works with say Japanese (which was always a mess).

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 24, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Russia having a totally normal day here, just celebrating the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact....no really...they are.

https://twitter.com/mfa_russia/status/1561963305320779776?s=12&t=Dijd81M59fAbeNZyAYYq1g

lol

Reminded me of this other "why did you post this?" from yesterday of a prominent Chinese diplomat uh, supporting Imperial Japan among other things.

https://twitter.com/CGMeifangZhang/status/1562061254780411904

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grand Fromage posted:

lol

Reminded me of this other "why did you post this?" from yesterday of a prominent Chinese diplomat uh, supporting Imperial Japan among other things.

https://twitter.com/CGMeifangZhang/status/1562061254780411904

Oh god that thing was absolutely hilarious, just totally devoid of common sense or logic. Just list enough to fit an infographic. lol

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I honestly am impressed at trying to make a list of wars of US aggression and somehow managing to whiff entirely. Really shouldn't be that hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grand Fromage posted:

I honestly am impressed at trying to make a list of wars of US aggression and somehow managing to whiff entirely. Really shouldn't be that hard.

Yeah, I mean it's pretty easy to do and barely even requires wikipedia. I guess it was the tankie interns day to make up the infographs for that day.