Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

From OP's posts elsewhere they are not only pretty unhappy at their current organisation but also are highly frustrated with all other professional functions.

I think they absolutely need and deserve to get a better new job but likely need to work on how they present themselves and their points other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Asproigerosis posted:

yeah I should wait until I have an offer in hand. Gonna sign the sad $5k retention bonus they are desperately throwing at us because of how obscene the turnover is and they are at the point of being unable to operate 24/7 if even a single person leaves.

Read that carefully. There’s likely a clawback clause.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

leper khan posted:

This guy doesn't PTO

If you are factoring in PTO and stuff, then you'd typically use 1,920 as your basis hours.

Or 1,880 if you're a dumb rear end and trying to win on price, but then can't figure out how to execute.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I'm pretty certain I'm awful at interviews and present as super miserable and unhirable. All my own fault but not exactly a short term fix etc. So far it seems like all the good high paying hospitals have passed me over for other candidates and now I'm left trying to filter through the scraps of places that went to the same school of HR where they are going to nickel and dime their employees at every chance despite having such incredible turnover the hospital can no longer provide basic fundamental functions 24/7. Which is why I'm kinda hesitant now that I take in the advice and think on it. This place is so hosed with staffing but they are absolutely stupid and spiteful enough to shoot me down and punish me for trying to get my fair pay. It's weird, just a bunch of penny pinching morons that don't have a clue and think you must always be crushing labor at all times.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I'd like to thank the thread for being super useful even when just browsing. I just got off the phone with an HR person and was ready when they asked about the mismatch between my compensation range and what they could offer.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Asproigerosis posted:

I'm pretty certain I'm awful at interviews and present as super miserable and unhirable. All my own fault but not exactly a short term fix etc. So far it seems like all the good high paying hospitals have passed me over for other candidates and now I'm left trying to filter through the scraps of places that went to the same school of HR where they are going to nickel and dime their employees at every chance despite having such incredible turnover the hospital can no longer provide basic fundamental functions 24/7. Which is why I'm kinda hesitant now that I take in the advice and think on it. This place is so hosed with staffing but they are absolutely stupid and spiteful enough to shoot me down and punish me for trying to get my fair pay. It's weird, just a bunch of penny pinching morons that don't have a clue and think you must always be crushing labor at all times.

I genuinely think you need to care less and stop fighting the system at your current place. Take care of patients but essentially just "push the button". Look after yourself. It is not your fault the hospital admin won't buy enough staff or magnets.

Get happy, get therapy, and look for new jobs.

I'd also definitely recommend working towards an industry job. Idk what that looks like for your job, but build your clinical skills and knowledge, look for a company that provides the machines, research or service, and get paid.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Maera Sior posted:

I'd like to thank the thread for being super useful even when just browsing. I just got off the phone with an HR person and was ready when they asked about the mismatch between my compensation range and what they could offer.

I'd be curious about the broad strokes of how that went if you don't mind!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I've given the same advice for 5 years so idk if it's helpful or desired at all, but here it is again
- there are people who give a poo poo and want to do a good job
- you have to work with them to be happy
- if you want to be hired by them, you need to get along better, and fake being normal and a people person for at least a little while

You can think it sucks, and I sort of agree, but that's still how it is. Since it can't be changed, I would put some energy into learning how to fake it

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 16, 2022

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Yeah I did just apply to some General Electric clinical applications jobs but that's a real long shot considering it's essentially a nationwide applicant pool. I like the people I work with here, the first place in my entire career. The problem is how awful the admin and hospital are and now all of them are on the same page as me about it being so poo poo lol

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Anne Whateley posted:

I've given the same advice for 5 years so idk if it's helpful or desired at all, but here it is again
- there are people who give a poo poo and want to do a good job
- you have to work with them to be happy
- if you want to be hired by them, you need to get along better, and fake being normal and a people person for at least a little while

You can think it sucks, and I sort of agree, but that's still how it is. Since it can't be changed, I would put some energy into learning how to fake it

its also dumb but if you fake it it kind of rubs off on you anyway

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Zarin posted:

I'd be curious about the broad strokes of how that went if you don't mind!

Background: This organization is prestigious but the pay is lousy. I'm overqualified on paper but I don't have recent paid experience. When I applied I put down a range that I knew would be pushing them.

HR: I see you put down X-Y as your range. X is at the high end of what we can offer. Can you talk a bit more about what you're looking for?
Me: I'm going to be looking at the full offer when I evaluate anything.
HR: Could you tell me if you have any wiggle room?
Me: I'm going to be looking at benefits such as telework etc when making my decision.
HR: I can look that up, you'd be required to come into the office on...

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Maera Sior posted:

“gently caress you, pay me”?

Also, since we’re talking medical/medical adjacent, does anyone have any insight on the clinical trial space?

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

its also dumb but if you fake it it kind of rubs off on you anyway

Look up imposter syndrome.

Maera Sior posted:

HR: I see you put down X-Y as your range. X is at the high end of what we can offer. Can you talk a bit more about what you're looking for?

Me: I'm certainly glad it's on the high end and not your limit, gives me a chance to get the rest out your wallet *stares menacingly*.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

HR: I see you put down X-Y as your range. X is at the high end of what we can offer.

oh wow what are the chances. surprised Pikachu face

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

“gently caress you, pay me”?

Also, since we’re talking medical/medical adjacent, does anyone have any insight on the clinical trial space?

I in fact do have insight on that. What would you like to know?

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

kalel posted:

I worked for them as a temp in another department several years ago so I have some insight as to their rates. Would stay there for a max of 2 years and bounce.

ETA: If anyone has specifics on how to approach this during my interview (should it come up again), I'd love to hear it. It will be with the Deputy Chief of Staff and Director of Governance.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 17, 2022

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

kalel posted:

Why_ranges_are_bad.txt

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

knox_harrington posted:

I in fact do have insight on that. What would you like to know?

This role is Rad safety PRN (that layout seems potentially lovely), I really don’t know anything about the industry, I could see it being very lovely to employees in pursuit of cranking participants through for better margins.

Just interested in any insight, none of this is based in much of anything (and I haven’t really even begun discussions). So trying to cure a bit of ignorance before proceeding.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Lol the idea of having a radiation safety as per diem is giving me a headache

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

This role is Rad safety PRN (that layout seems potentially lovely), I really don’t know anything about the industry, I could see it being very lovely to employees in pursuit of cranking participants through for better margins.

Just interested in any insight, none of this is based in much of anything (and I haven’t really even begun discussions). So trying to cure a bit of ignorance before proceeding.

My wife works in that field. She says the pay is typically above average, and they typically put a premium on patient safety, so that seems good. She said though that typically the research nurses are entrusted with a ton of responsibility, which can be good or bad depending on what you want to do.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

My mother was the Infection Control nurse in charge of an entire hospital. She's anti-vax, covid-denier

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Yeah I was also curious on “rad safety, but only intermittently” unless they just have a pool of people, but that’s not likely possible these days.

It’s not actually a nursing position, from what I can tell (I have no med experience or background). If it was only intermittent and paid really well I might consider it, but it sounds like you’re the “bullseye on your head” guy if anything goes awry. And if they aren’t paying for that level of responsibility, they can keep it.

Nursing as an anti-medicine type probably just makes the job quite simple, really.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Well well well I come in today and they're all like oh hey they did another market eval and everyone getting pay grade raises, more significant than the previous sad efforts. Mildly changes some calculus but I'm sure once I see $2 increase or whatever paltry sum in 2 weeks I'll go right back to being offended. Hopefully this will line up nicely with some potential offers I've got maybe coming that I'd probably prefer to not take but will at least have something to fall back on if my bluff fails.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Long story here about not only knowing your worth in dollar terms, but in seniority level.

I worked for one institution for 6 years with a junior title (campaign coordinator) and average pay for the sector, but I was leading squads and successful multimillion-dollar campaigns.

I went for promotions unsuccessfully, asked for a title change unsuccessfuly, and tried to have my role reclassified to a higher grade, also unsuccessfully, which meant I kept absorbing the message that I was not a senior operator.

After I left at the end of last year, I was applying for jobs at a slightly higher level - I was on $99k at the previous job and would have been happy around $110k. The first job I was offered was through a recruiter and I had the guts to turn it down after reading this thread because they would not budge from $100k. But from this experience, again I had the impression reinforced that I probably wasn't worth that much more money and wasn't senior yet, but I wanted to keep trying.

I was then the runner-up for a job in the same sector as job 1, where I didn't get it because I was in their words "too senior". I was really confused by this because hang on, I've been told for my entire career I'm a junior burger.

I then got another job in the same sector, negotiated myself to the top of the pay band ($115k), and was told by my manager "when we saw your resume, we thought we would never have a chance at getting you - your experience is incredible".

That job turned out to be a bad fit - totally different to how it was pitched - but then the last place I applied for reached out to me with a senior marketing manager role they thought I would be a good fit for. I had seen it advertised but thought no way, I'm not at that level.

But I went for it, interviewed, got told again how impressive my resume is, got the job, negotiated salary and am starting on $131k in a couple of weeks. That's a 30% pay bump within a year of leaving job 1.

(And the crappy current job has counteroffered me a senior role to keep me around - I'm not going to take it).

The funny thing is, this exact situation has happened to all of my colleagues who have left institution 1 - we were all kept at a low title and pay level, but were obviously performing really well while we were told we were juniors. And when we came out, we were all sought after in the same sector because of our performance reputations.

So yeah. Know what level you should be at, and LIST ACHIEVEMENTS IN YOUR RESUME.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Jumpsuit posted:

Long story here about not only knowing your worth in dollar terms, but in seniority level.

I worked for one institution for 6 years with a junior title (campaign coordinator) and average pay for the sector, but I was leading squads and successful multimillion-dollar campaigns.

I went for promotions unsuccessfully, asked for a title change unsuccessfuly, and tried to have my role reclassified to a higher grade, also unsuccessfully, which meant I kept absorbing the message that I was not a senior operator.

After I left at the end of last year, I was applying for jobs at a slightly higher level - I was on $99k at the previous job and would have been happy around $110k. The first job I was offered was through a recruiter and I had the guts to turn it down after reading this thread because they would not budge from $100k. But from this experience, again I had the impression reinforced that I probably wasn't worth that much more money and wasn't senior yet, but I wanted to keep trying.

I was then the runner-up for a job in the same sector as job 1, where I didn't get it because I was in their words "too senior". I was really confused by this because hang on, I've been told for my entire career I'm a junior burger.

I then got another job in the same sector, negotiated myself to the top of the pay band ($115k), and was told by my manager "when we saw your resume, we thought we would never have a chance at getting you - your experience is incredible".

That job turned out to be a bad fit - totally different to how it was pitched - but then the last place I applied for reached out to me with a senior marketing manager role they thought I would be a good fit for. I had seen it advertised but thought no way, I'm not at that level.

But I went for it, interviewed, got told again how impressive my resume is, got the job, negotiated salary and am starting on $131k in a couple of weeks. That's a 30% pay bump within a year of leaving job 1.

(And the crappy current job has counteroffered me a senior role to keep me around - I'm not going to take it).

The funny thing is, this exact situation has happened to all of my colleagues who have left institution 1 - we were all kept at a low title and pay level, but were obviously performing really well while we were told we were juniors. And when we came out, we were all sought after in the same sector because of our performance reputations.

So yeah. Know what level you should be at, and LIST ACHIEVEMENTS IN YOUR RESUME.

Imposter syndrome is a bitch, and companies that actively foster it to keep people down are the worst.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Crossposting from the IT thread:

If anyone here wants to chime in: I may be getting an offer letter for an entry-level cyber security SOC analyst job tomorrow (I hope). My guy on the inside says he started at a little over 62k. Average salary on Glassdoor comes in closer to 75K. How do I ask for 65K? Do I point out that I’m taking a pay cut (I’m switching industries), do I say that with my previous management experience I’m an easy promote and retain? Do I just say “uh, how about 65 instead of 60?” and give no reason?

I did read the OP, and I will say I have poor BATNA. I am switching from hospitality to IT as a dude in his 40s with only schoolhouse experience in my new field. If they tell me to pound sand my only recourse is to return to the bar which I hate.

Also, I’m willing to take a low-ball offer since that will get my foot in the door, but I like money as much as the next guy so I’d rather get more.

I know the conventional wisdom is that counter-offering never hurts, and there is no salary range posted for the job, so I’m willing to try to negotiate but I don’t want to screw myself.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Lockback posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768531&pagenumber=216#lastpost

Let them name a number first if you can, since you seem unclear on what market is. If they ask you say "I am looking for market rate". If they offer 62 (or if they try to do the same thing) I'd suggest countering at something like 70k or even 75k. They won't drop you from consideration for asking for that little over an offer. They may come back that they start everyone at 62k. Then it's up to you to decide if it's worthwhile or not.

You don't need to give reasons for this. Don't get into a justification game. The salary you are asking for is justified by the fact that they think you can do the job.

This is spot on.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

navyjack posted:

If anyone here wants to chime in: I may be getting an offer letter for an entry-level cyber security SOC analyst job tomorrow (I hope). My guy on the inside says he started at a little over 62k. Average salary on Glassdoor comes in closer to 75K. How do I ask for 65K? Do I point out that I’m taking a pay cut (I’m switching industries), do I say that with my previous management experience I’m an easy promote and retain? Do I just say “uh, how about 65 instead of 60?” and give no reason?

I did read the OP, and I will say I have poor BATNA. I am switching from hospitality to IT as a dude in his 40s with only schoolhouse experience in my new field. If they tell me to pound sand my only recourse is to return to the bar which I hate.

Also, I’m willing to take a low-ball offer since that will get my foot in the door, but I like money as much as the next guy so I’d rather get more.

I know the conventional wisdom is that counter-offering never hurts, and there is no salary range posted for the job, so I’m willing to try to negotiate but I don’t want to screw myself.
“Given the role and responsibilities, $65k makes senses. Can you make that happen?”

But it sounds like they haven’t even given a number yet. Wait for that first.

Don’t mention you’re easy to promote; that makes you look like you don’t want the job at hand. Likewise, don’t mention a pay cut; that’s not relevant to the hiring manager.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Don't even mention role and responsibilities. Just "Thank you for your offer. If we can arrive at $67,500*, I'm prepared to accept immediately".

*since we don't know a number from their side yet, but give them some room to negotiate down to where you want to be. If they don't want to negotiate, the thread has already told you what to do.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

also: you are in no way obligated to negotiate on the spot and you should not do so. "Thank you for the offer. Let me take a few days to consider it."

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

navyjack posted:

Like I pointed out in the resume thread, you've basically got 10 years of SOC experience already, except in that SOC people could actually die. You just name the number you'd take with no hesitation and know what your walk away number is in case they refuse to budge.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
People can die in hospitality?

(The advice is good though)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Lockback posted:

if you're doing it right

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Lockback posted:

He switched to hospitality from being a US Navy Cryptologic technician (Interpretive) for 10 years.

But also what KYOON GRIFFEY JR said.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Lockback posted:

This is EXTREME hospitality. It’s either amazingly hospitable or utterly inhospitable.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

You guys are great, thanks. The call is in 10 minutes, wish me luck.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Arquinsiel posted:

He switched to hospitality from being a US Navy Cryptologic technician (Interpretive) for 10 years.

I read this as US Navy Cryptozoological technician (Interpretive) and imagined a person in a sailor's uniform doing interpretive dances to attempt to talk to Bigfoot.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Magnetic North posted:

I read this as US Navy Cryptozoological technician (Interpretive) and imagined a person in a sailor's uniform doing interpretive dances to attempt to talk to Bigfoot.
Gotta pass the time on the lonely nightshifts in the SOC somehow.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

For the Navy, I think it would make more sense if it were krakens or something that actually does exist but absolutely shouldn't and was probably built by aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

pass the time on the lonely nightshifts with a sock, somehow.