Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Right on, Marlys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

right on, marlys

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Comic Strips 2022: Right on, Marlys

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Like in one of the Our Boarding Houses when one character called another "gay boy," which wasn't even really an insult. It looks bad to our modern culture because that's just how the word has changed, but it wasn't weird or out of place then.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom
"This is exactly what Mozz warned me would happen!" you'll think to yourself. "Oh why didn't I listen to wise and handsome Mozz? Why was I so foolish as to ever ignore a single thing he said? Truly, Mozz is the greatest man I have ever known, probably better than any of the Phantoms, especially myself!" Yes, I see it clearly, that is exactly what you'll be thinking.

EasyEW posted:

Blondie From Zero, in which we're not done with Gil after all, drat the luck. (September 20-21, 1932; spoilered for stereotype humor.)
The first of these two is a pretty good joke though.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Second question down.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
As always the ability of Luann to take the story in the dumbest direction possible is incredible.

Is it even "love trauma" if you've never gotten to the point of dating? I'd consider love trauma to involve at least a break up!

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

EasyEW posted:

Toonerville Folks (November 17-19, 1919)

I didn't realize they were all in the same continuity. He just needs to add Tomboy Taylor and the terribly tempered Mr Bang and it'll be like Crisis on Infinite Toonervilles. Or at least the TCU.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Doomykins posted:

As always the ability of Luann to take the story in the dumbest direction possible is incredible.

Is it even "love trauma" if you've never gotten to the point of dating? I'd consider love trauma to involve at least a break up!

I will give a pass on this. When you are 13-17 and you are blinded by hormones, you don't have the mechanisms for dealing with reality, especially when it comes crashing into your romantic fantasy/intense crush. So every imagined slight (because they are all imagined, because literally nothing is happening) is the end of your world. Every love letter you attempted to write. The one you actually wrote. Slipping it into their locker. Getting let down easy. Getting a hard "no". Getting an "Ew". Getting laughed at. Getting no response at all. That all hurts, and at no point did even one date take place.

I'm not saying Luann is good or even all that relatable.

They're just not wrong. This time.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Slammy posted:

So It Seems September 20, 1952

drat, this unfortunately really is timeless. Reminded of a few years back when Keenan Allen tore his ACL in a week 1 game and was out for the entire season.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

:munch:

Old School Peanuts (Sep 29, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Mar 17-18, 1992)

Mom's right.

Big Nate

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Arnold (September 5-11, 1983)

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

readingatwork posted:

Mom's right.

I was always confused by the idea that self-sacrifice was a tenet of satanism. Even the satanic panic nuts claimed that satanists were out to sacrifice innocent people, not themselves

Of course, the joke is based on a court case where Judas Priest was sued for allegedly having pro-suicidal subliminal messages. It turned out to be nonsense.

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/judas-priest-suicide-lawsuit-subliminal-messages/

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days March 15, 1962

Art would have a field day with how much the internet has desensitized people.

2018 Spiderman

1980 comics
"Yeah, turns out that being a hypercapitalist rear end in a top hat means the only people who tolerate you are the ones getting something out of it. Who knew?"

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I tried creating some procedurally generated Mary Worths and Wilbur Westons.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I like how Wilbur starts at Tobias Funke and then slides into Paul Giamatti via Jason Alexander, and finally ends in minor New Jersey politician indicted for fraud.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (September 16, 2000)

Rae The Goon, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver: Green Door

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

What a beautiful kimono. That’s Dean Thompson style, then and now. Lottie is far too young for the X-Files, but this fascination will be explored in the next Solver story.

Tura Satana was a Japanese-American actress who is probably best known for her role in the exploitation film Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!. Here's a photo from her Wikipedia page:

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Wikipedia posted:

Satana was born Tura Luna Pascual Yamaguchi in Hokkaidō, Japan.[2] Her father was a Japanese silent movie actor of Filipino descent, and her mother was a circus performer of Native American (Cheyenne) and Scots-Irish background
That's quite the background for pre WWII.

Also. Just read the following paragraph on that article. Jesus Christ. Her childhood was basically 'I spit on your grave"

Hippocrass fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Aug 24, 2022

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

:hai:

This misunderstanding isn't really Kevin's fault, but he better shave his head now too.

Vintage Valiant (Nov. 30, 1952)

Kinda anticlimactic IMO.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Agreed. I expected men to die in graphic detail.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Hippocrass posted:

I miss my 5 1/4 in floppy of Civ2 saves.

I hope you mean Civ1.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Medenmath posted:

Kinda anticlimactic IMO.

Though "It is dinnertime before they are completely reformed" is some nice Fosteresque understatement for "killed to death".

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Right on, Marlys.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Tiggum posted:

I tried creating some procedurally generated Mary Worths and Wilbur Westons.

I know it's only August but these need to go on the first page of the 2023 thread.

Safety Dance posted:

I like how Wilbur starts at Tobias Funke and then slides into Paul Giamatti via Jason Alexander, and finally ends in minor New Jersey politician indicted for fraud.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

EasyEW posted:

It's an all-mother Tuesday in today's Out Our Way! (August 28-30, 1939)

It's been said before, but OOW really is remarkable. It ran for so long, and its art is closely-observed enough that you can watch the changing standard of living for an American family. Like, that bathroom's got tiles, and that neighbour has a mantel piece w/ a clock on it! Fancy! You barely got indoor plumbing when the strip started.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Green Intern posted:

I think it's the part about Rabbits Being Good At Fuckin, which in the K&K universe is actually true and is often used as a punchline by Holbrook.
Yeah but that's not a slur. Offensive stereotypes (that in other contexts we have seen to be 100% correct, yes) are something else.

Also, re: Dustin, even if Dustin's Dad In Blackface And Drag was correct, they're at a temp agency and thus the events described would never happen even without the making GBS threads On Dustin part. He'd be long gone to another job before he could have a chance to "impress the boss" or whatever the writer think happens.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 8/23/02

Brenda Starr 5/2-4/49

Hope you were wondering what was up with the supporting cast this week!

Okay, that one's funny.

Smokey Stover 9/25/49

Everyday Movies 7/3/35

"I want to fix up special for the excursion tomorrow but I can't decide whether to get my wave set or have my nails done or whether to buy a new pair of stockings."

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

readingatwork posted:

So, we're just going to overlook mom's psycho face in the last panel?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

what the gently caress is this curtis storyline trying to do

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Documented by a possibly racist stereotype brandishing a sardine can.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

kidcoelacanth posted:

what the gently caress is this curtis storyline trying to do

Judging by that last panel, something racist.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

readingatwork posted:

$40k in 1991 is $87k today, which will get you in a nicely-optioned brand new Corvette Z51!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

What is it with comic strips and brand names? They all seem to do this weird thing where they'll name one brand but then make up a fake name for another, for no apparent reason. :confused:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I imagine it's because they're about to spend a storyline riffing on MtG whereas pokemon was only used for single reference piece of contextual set dressing.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

readingatwork posted:

Mom's right.

Calvin's cynical but not quite cynical enough. I really like that.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Pretty shocked Crabgrass was able to get "I'll kill you" in newspapers, especially for one kid to say to another

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (November 3, 1934)

Peanuts (August 27, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Disillusioned by what? Out of your class, who's even left town that it would be a surprise to see how they've fallen apart?

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (March 25, 1939)

Out Our Way (August 31-September 2, 1939; timg'd for the usual reasons (but over a different stereotype this time, just for the variety of things))

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 24, 2022