Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
Dallas paint correction TMR review. Easy on and off. Put it on a my new cyber orange Maverick. Screwed up the second coat because of a big humidity change but even the it only left a slight haze, that only appears at a certain angle in a certain light on the front passenger fender panel. So far I have been heavily impressed with all there poo poo. Will provide more info in a month or so of insect torture testing in northern New York. Not as shiny as the T9 but this is supposed to be a high thickness coating design for harsh conditions, neglect and salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Any suggestions for something to clean painted exhaust tips? I see a lot of cleaner and polisher combos but I don’t want anything abrasive.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Anyone have any experience with or thoughts on sapphire V1 ceramic? I've got a local detailing shop which is very highly reviewed and seems to do good work but that is their ceramic of choice and I'm finding mixed information about it online.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1hPcPFgmVo

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Probably should have used a black tip on that pressure washer.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Probably should have used a black tip on that pressure washer.

Not a spec of dirt though.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Some local youths egged my car last night, and now some of the yolk has baked in to the paint. what’s the meta on removing it safely?

e: was able to just wet it up using meggys spot detailer, then gently scraping off the bulk with my fingernail, spraying again, and wiping away the residue.

Head Bee Guy fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 19, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Head Bee Guy posted:

Some local youths egged my car last night, and now some of the yolk has baked in to the paint. what’s the meta on removing it safely?

e: was able to just wet it up using meggys spot detailer, then gently scraping off the bulk with my fingernail, spraying again, and wiping away the residue.
Good. At least you're not this guy!

I did some experimental stuff to my shitbox Jizz. It's got a ton of stone chips and a decent number of scratches of various depths and general swirlies from 20 years of street parking and machine washing I assume.

First there's this area on the D pillar, no idea how one gets scratches like that. Seems like someone had a go with pretty fine sandpaper and then just left it there. I had a go at it with a rougher and then finer compound on a foam pad. Took a quite a bit of polishing to get rid of the deeper scratches but it's good now.

It seemed to be also good for the "undamaged" paint, you can see where I stopped polishing near the top sun reflection. I eventually did a bit more of the panel but not too much as I used a cordless drill instead of a DA polisher.

You can see a bunch of other scratches on that panel as well but they were all quite a bit deeper so I left them be for now. The main thing I wanted to finish up were the stone chips. I cleaned and painted in most of the bigger holes a few days ago and now went to finish it.

Here's a pretty big one. Looks relatively good but there's a clear low spot and a hole in the top left of the fill.

I probably should've tried to fill the low spot and holes with some more paint at that point, but I didn't want to wait again so I polished it to see how that looked. The little holes and the low spot is still visible of course, but more surprising, I thought that the edge of the chip wouldn't be visible any more. It felt completely smooth to me. And 2000 grit sandpaper isn't fine enough and a pain in the rear end to buff out.

Here's another pretty big one. No idea what's the deal with the right side.

I think it's the same one, just rotated?

This type of repair is never going to be perfect of course, and it doesn't really matter on this shitbox, but I'm curious if you could do better. Feels like there are very specific issues like the bubbles (?) and low spots that could be improved if I knew WTF I was doing. So if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be happy to test them out since there's no risk to loving it up more :D

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 21, 2022

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

I was wondering what I should do about the below.

1) lovely rock chip repair done by one of the POs. Like pock marks due to I'm guessing overfill?

I don't have a good idea how to go about fixing these.

2) Because a chunk of the badge had broken off previously, one PO must have decided to glue it back in place with... superglue? And now I have what looks like 1' of dried adhesive on the trunk panel

I managed to remove the rest of the badge fine, and cleaned it up with goo gone. That chunk? No dice: goo gone, acetone, makes no difference. Anything else I can use without damaging the paint?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

One of those dish sponges that's like scotch Brite on one side. Old roommate did that to his civic once vs some bird poop. You don't see the damage until it drys. Then you ask your car nerd roommate with a box of car cleaning stuff what can be done.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

honda whisperer posted:

One of those dish sponges that's like scotch Brite on one side. Old roommate did that to his civic once vs some bird poop. You don't see the damage until it drys. Then you ask your car nerd roommate with a box of car cleaning stuff what can be done.
Lol makes sense!

Ironically I actually tried using the soft side of a new dish sponge to polish this car. It actually worked ok, though seemed to leave some scratches that were probably not caused by the sponge.

Gonna try to clean off the residue from the number sticker I had on for the rally. It's been there... for a while. Don't have goo gone but a bunch of dangerous chemicasls IPA, acetone, petrol cleaner, so we'll see what works without annihilating the paint.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Saw a guy use the brush at the car wash on his Ferrari whatever Spider today. Made the :stare: face as I drove by.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
https://twitter.com/uncledoomer/status/1562422733941907463?t=4k1fvQU7p1nnQ4Yqi3HNhg&s=19

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

The Wolf's detailing shop.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

BraveUlysses posted:

i have a griots model that i bought a few years ago and i really like it. the newer ones are even nicer, while being cheaper than the previous models.

imo this is a good starting point and should cover most people's needs for getting started and not getting too crazy into detailing.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/g9+orbital+correct+protect+kit.do?sortby=ourPicks

however if you dont want to buy a combo kit, and want to go ala carte, i'd pick:

G9 buffer
synthetic claybar
orange pads

sealant or polish and ceramic wax spray

microfibers, definitely dont have to get griots but dont buy the cheapest ones you can find.

edit, this also assumes you have a double wash bucket setup, bucket grates, soap and a microfiber mitt.

Came here to ask the "starter DA ideas" question and there's the perfect solution. Thanks!

What do you guys like for polishing scratches on exterior plastic trim? I know it's going to scratch again, but omg it's driving me nuts.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Well IPA took care of that fairly easily. I guess I didn't have to drive around with the residue for a year :shrug:

I also did the most half-assed headlight job ever and the results are... extremely adequate.

They were pretty bad to begin with

I did a test on an area that wouldn't impact the light output if I hosed it up really bad

But it turned out pretty well. There's still some weird cracks and crap that seems to be on the inside but

Step 1: Compound with a literal dish sponge on a drill.
Step 2: There is no step 2.

Well it should probably be to apply some protective coating but I had none on hand. But since it takes literally just 5 minutes, I'll gladly do this again as needed.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I used the Sylvania Headlight Restoration kit a couple of years ago on a 10 year old car and the results were fantastic. I'd say like 90% as good as new. It comes with everything you need (including a UV resistant sealer).

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
What's the best way to get tree sap off paint or a windshield? I bought something from the local auto parts shop and it did absolutely nothing on the spot I tested on the windshield. Some of this sap is fairly old if that matters.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Windshield? Razor blade and glass cleaner.

Paint - hair dryer and goo gone.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

+1 for razor blade. Also glass does not give a gently caress about most chemicals. Brake clean is a great place to start. Spray on a rag then wipe to avoid over spray hitting the paint. Acetone, rubbing alcohol, etc all on the table.

This all goes out the window on the inside if there's tint.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I had good luck massaging sap off with hand sanitizer, I think being 70% alcohol with some thickness to it helps.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
I'll give some of these a shot thanks.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Apollo posted:

I used the Sylvania Headlight Restoration kit a couple of years ago on a 10 year old car and the results were fantastic. I'd say like 90% as good as new. It comes with everything you need (including a UV resistant sealer).
Yeah I've seen the Sylvania kit recommended by the project farm guy I think, but it's not available in europe as far as I can tell. I did find some options like Meguiar's G17110DE and K2 LAMP Protect, the latter five bucks here so might as well try it even if it will take months to see if it works.

I thought I saw someone ask about scratched plastic interior bits but it had to be in another thread. The rear door armrest is this dimpled texture plastic that got scratched up pretty bad at some point, I guess when sticking something into the trunk. Sanding's obviously not going to do it any good, but has anyone tried slightly melting it with either heat or maybe chemical like acetone or something? I think if it were slightly deformed it would be less objectionable than this extremely obvious scratches.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Heat gun is your best option. Please try it in a inconspicuous spot first.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

the spyder posted:

Heat gun is your best option. Please try it in a inconspicuous spot first.
All right, I'll give it a shot :) I'm sure there are some scratches somewhere on the bottom of the door cards to test on.

Also, when looking for the K2 Lamp Protect reviews, I came across another product they make, the Vapron Pro. It's the most bizarre thing for headlight restoration, you sand them as usual, and then use this heated mug that they give you to heat up and evaporate some mystery chemical that I guess bonds with the surface, filling up the scratches and making it shiny. Really weird but seems to be pretty effective, from what I understood they think it looks like they've been clearcoated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IINn_VYYfvw&t=690s

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

It might be acetone. I saw someone do something similar a few years ago to smooth rough plastic.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

Spaseman posted:

What's the best way to get tree sap off paint or a windshield? I bought something from the local auto parts shop and it did absolutely nothing on the spot I tested on the windshield. Some of this sap is fairly old if that matters.

grade #0000 steel wool. I always keep a piece in my cars, it removes bug guts so easily. I assume it would work the same for tree sap.

Doesn't harm the glass, but of course, test it on an inconspicuous part of glass first to verify.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Chiming in re the Sylvania headlight restoration kit, as I just did the work over the weekend:

Before:

After:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Let's talk dressing. I've realizing that spending hours cleaning wheel wells/fenders/underbody and NOT coating them appropriately is a waste of time.

My original go-to was Meguiars Hyper Dressing. It's been OOO since the start of the pandemic and now that I see it restocking, there's no way I'm paying $80/gallon.
https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-D17001-Hyper-Dressing-Gallon/dp/B0006SH4PA

Similar story on Meguiars All-Season Dressing. It seems like this stuff shot up in price.
https://www.amazon.com/MEGUIARS-D16001-All-Season-Dressing/dp/B0006SH4NW

I tried their Silicone Free version, but it never lasted more than a few weeks.
https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-D16101-Silicone-Free-Dressing-Gallon/dp/B0006SH4OQ

So I'm looking for alternatives. Something that will work well in our PNW rainy climate and not break the bank. I'd love to find something that would last ~3 months, if that's even possible now.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

On some of my older jankier cars with black trim I’ve liked using watered-down cheap tire dressing, it seems to last a long time.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I don't know about dressings (tire wall shine?)

Costco had a 6 pack of a brand considered decent I though about buying, it may have lasted me 6 months to a year for like $25

I need to rotate tires and figured I'd give them a deep clean while I have them off and coat the rims in turtle wax hybrid solutions ceramic coating.
It's not necessarily for rims but it works on them and trim and glass and seems to last almost 6 months with one coat. (2 would be better)

My car got in an accident and it's made me care a little less about maintenance washes until it's fixed, but my glass was sheeting water like rain-x today and it's been several months since I coated it.

I have 2 cats now instead of 1 and it's time for me to re-up on carpet bomber and terminator enzyme cleaner from the ragcompany. They work great together especially with drill mounted nylon brushes. I've used it on my indoor carpet to get out many "permanent stains" and have barely used it in my car.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 15, 2022

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Is there any danger in using a standard DA Polisher + polish/compound on outer plastic trim? I'd assume at a minimum you'll need to make sure to mask off any edges connected to glass to be safe, but otherwise are there any other precautions to take? Don't have the gear yet, but hoping to get a DA polisher and some other gear for xmas, and one of the things I'd like to tackle is some super scratchy plastic trim. As far as polish/compound goes, looks like the internet is pretty fond of both 3D One and Sonax Perfect Finish, so might go for one of those two, unless there are products specifically recommended for plastic trim.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Gloss black exterior trim? I use a fine polish (meguires ultimate IIRC) and microfiber, it would need to be really bad scratching for me to bust out a buffer. That plastic is so soft you don’t need a very aggressive product at all.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Gloss black exterior trim? I use a fine polish (meguires ultimate IIRC) and microfiber, it would need to be really bad scratching for me to bust out a buffer. That plastic is so soft you don’t need a very aggressive product at all.

It's got a ton of scratches but none are deep from what I can see, so I'll give hand polishing a shot! If the scratches are stubborn to that, then I should try an actual buffer?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Some of my favorite tools are a couple of cheap rechargeable drill type screwdrivers/drills. I use the orange black and decker wakes tone for the most delicate stuff (attaching whatever pad from soft to the roughest green ones) and a cheapie word one that I can use the trigger to go from nothing to fast. Really helps when I’m trying to get stuff off or polished without risking burning the paint.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

reversefungi posted:

It's got a ton of scratches but none are deep from what I can see, so I'll give hand polishing a shot! If the scratches are stubborn to that, then I should try an actual buffer?

Maaaaaybe but I’d want to see pictures first. I’d be worried about making it worse, since it is typically *really* soft plastic. Make sure to be gentle with your fingers - even pressure is very important.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Decided to try a glass coating, so I put on Gtechniq G1 Smart Glass. It rained today and holy hell I'm never going back.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

a mysterious cloak posted:

Decided to try a glass coating, so I put on Gtechniq G1 Smart Glass. It rained today and holy hell I'm never going back.

Nice! Does it have any benefit on the inside of the glass for condensation?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Didn't apply it to the interior, just windshield/rear window/two side windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

a mysterious cloak posted:

It's awesome. The orange rainx washer fluid / de-icer also applys a similar coating and zero effort.