Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Game informer btw is owned by a company with an interest in games sales and preorders

There is a strict line between the Game Informer editorial staff and the GameStop hucksters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nuts and Gum posted:

Hmm, so the more apt comparison is SR vs Crackdown 3.

I haven’t played the new SR but in that light I bet it’s real good.

Well crackdown 3 remained a crackdown while SR totally rejects the gameplay of sr4 (which is just crackdown orb hunting and super hero moves) and goes back to bland gta.
Its like watchdogs 2 but with no hacking, just all cringy youth dialog for nerdy characters that are supposedly hard killer gangsters
Volition is on a 2 game slide now idk what they have left in the tank after agents of mayhem and sr both launched in such a bad state and had boring design underneath that nobody thinks is worth putting in the effort to fix

^^^
:allears:

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 24, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am just ready to have GTA6 already.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Barudak posted:

Saints Row 2 is better than any GTA game, in my opinion.

Possibly at the time. I would say the series hasn't aged well in terms of gameplay (and in terms of a lot of the humour)

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Real hurthling! posted:

Well crackdown 3 remained a crackdown while SR totally rejects the gameplay of sr4 (which is just crackdown orb hunting and super hero moves) and goes back to bland gta.
Its like watchdogs 2 but with no hacking, just all cringy youth dialog for nerdy characters that are supposedly hard killer gangsters
Volition is on a 2 game slide now idk what they have left in the tank after agents of mayhem and sr both launched in such a bad state and had boring design underneath that nobody thinks is worth putting in the effort to fix

^^^
:allears:

That’s much worse than I imagined. Reminds me of whoever the dev is for Just Cause. They spent like 4 years putting tornadoes into just cause 3 and it was just underwhelming in nearly every way by the time I came out. The gunplay and movement on foot still felt like a ps2 title. The retractable grappling hook is still the best mode of travel in any game, though. :colbert:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

My issue with just cause's grapple is it doesnt mantle for you and you get stuck under the ledge of something instead of clearing it. Halo, arkham, etc all have grapples that make mantling way easier

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
How did Mighty Goose slip by my radar? I actively looked for a platformer on Game Pass today and grabbed it. Turns out it is a very solid Metal Slug-like.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Possibly at the time. I would say the series hasn't aged well in terms of gameplay (and in terms of a lot of the humour)

I mean the last GTA game came out in 2013. I think SR2 is a profoundly dated game, but its still better than any GTA game.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Nobody at all praising saints row for stealing sleeping dog's driving controls?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Ryoga posted:

Nobody at all praising saints row for stealing sleeping dog's driving controls?

This prompted me to reinstall Sleeping Dogs. Saints Row stays winning. When you play better games.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Saints Row, GTA and Sleeping Dogs owns. You can like many things, people.

Crackdown 3 is better than the new SR though. The former is a wildly unambitious clone of the decent first game while the new SR is just terrible.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
What was the Jet Li game for like the PS2? Remaster that.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Fly Ricky posted:

Rise Of Honor. Really cool ideas but flawed implementation. Would be down for a rerelease for sure.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Fly Ricky posted:

*Bangs table*

Dead To Rights!
Dead To Rights!

Wait they made four of these?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MJBuddy posted:

*Bangs table*

Dead To Rights!
Dead To Rights!

Wait they made four of these?

The main wikipedia article is missing the GBA version which while its supposed to be the first game has a slightly different plot, so I would make a case for 5 of these godawful things.

The reboot on 360 is astoundingly bad. It is someone huffing gears of war fumes until they het woozy

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’m glad the dog never gets hurt in those games

Barudak
May 7, 2007

hatty posted:

I’m glad the dog never gets hurt in those games

Oh, you didn't play the reboot.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It's pretty neat how Death Stranding actually encourages you to take breaks, it's a real departure from a lot of open world games.. Dudes emailing "why don't you take it easy in your room? You need some rest!" Real subtle, Kojima :haw:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I loved saints row 2 the best because the character customizer was loving astounding. Multiple layers of clothing meant you could make your own incredibly weird outfit. I spent a large amount of time as a naked Leonidas and a low budget boba fett.

I can't remember the goon but someone made an amazing Gandhi and had him screencapped eating a huge burger.

After that though, for 3 and 4 they swapped engines and you had entire outfits to pick and a way more limited selection of fun but weird. Also, very odd mascots.

Pirates vs ninjas was pretty awesome though.

I still wish they'd remaster 4, and red faction 2. God imagine the destruction you could wreak in a 4k playland with the nano rifle.

Seems like most games now have to be SUPER BLOCKBUSTER MAKE A BILLION DOLLARS kinda things, and I miss the old games from the early 360/ps2 era where you could have games that were awesome but not made from a gigantic studio, like psyops. I'd love an updated version of so many of those games.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Real hurthling! posted:

Just so you know, the power curve in death stranding is excellent. As long as you keep doing main missions you will unlock things that make every annoying part of the game progressively easier and more satisfying

Yup, don't make the mistake of sticking around in chapter 2 because you can return to that location and chapter 3 gives you more tools. Tools that make you better at ABCDEF.

Always
Be
Carrying
Deliveries
Even
Further

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Looking forward to this one

https://twitter.com/XboxWire/status/1562348999755018246

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Heeeeeeelll Yeah

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Barudak posted:

Heeeeeeelll Yeah

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I will never forgive Volition for not making Freespace 3.

e: yes I know its not their fault

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Escape Academy is a great, great option for Game Pass. Friend and I did co-op the whole time and its easily the most fun we've had since It takes Two.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

Escape Academy is a great, great option for Game Pass. Friend and I did co-op the whole time and its easily the most fun we've had since It takes Two.

Theres DLC coming out next month or something, I think?

Im buying it

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Alchenar posted:

I will never forgive Volition for not making Freespace 3.

e: yes I know its not their fault

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Hell, that looks amazing! I hope it has cross-platform co-op play too so I can play with my buddy.

e: it does! Sweet!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Soul Hackers 2 is inexplicably a play anywhere title???

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I'm going to play Soul Hackers 2 in your house.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

I'm going to play Soul Hackers 2 in your house.

Impossible I have no room because I own a ps5

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Fly Ricky posted:

This prompted me to reinstall Sleeping Dogs. Saints Row stays winning. When you play better games.

I also randomly installed Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition and am really looking forward to playing it again.

But then again I'm finding myself increasingly bored of open world games. At least SD isn't as "open" as most (fairly small map).

Such a great evolution from True Crime Streets of LA, though

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I think there was definitely a place for Saints Row while Rockstar were going through their ~auteur~ phase with GTAIV but yeah, once 5 turned up it's been kind of a moot point.

And I fully agree about the humour. I played through San Andreas Definitive Edition earlier this year and there's a lot of serious yikes moments in that too

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Real hurthling! posted:

Game informer btw is owned by a company with an interest in games sales and preorders

so was literally every magazine ever published by Ziff-Davis. video game magazines were not exactly a bastion of sheer unbridled honesty and GI generally does alright

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

What's this Midnight Fight game? Kind of an isometric hotline miami going by the screenshots? oh well installing why not!!

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

priznat posted:

What's this Midnight Fight game? Kind of an isometric hotline miami going by the screenshots? oh well installing why not!!

It's a fun game where you beat the poo poo out of people to fast music.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

incorporeal posted:

It's a fun game where you beat the poo poo out of people to fast music.

gently caress yeah

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Other than Turtles/Overcooked, what are some good 4-player Game Pass couch games? Not necessarily co-op, but kid friendly?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Huxley posted:

Other than Turtles/Overcooked, what are some good 4-player Game Pass couch games? Not necessarily co-op, but kid friendly?

Rubber Bandits, definitely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

priznat posted:

It's pretty cool! Although I can only play it in short bouts of 20 minutes each time because it mentally tires me out for some reason, I do like it.