Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

pmchem posted:

tobi buying into .eth was a great tell for the $shop bubble

This was a huge sell signal that I wish I'd sold immediately on. Huge yikes moment I recall feeling, that it was a big sign that he'd bought into his own bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Space Fish posted:

Probably repeating myself, but I remember back in college (iPod era) when classmates would talk about needing a new laptop and they'd go with a $1,400 MacBook by default. I would gently advocate for a $300-500 Windows laptop on the basis of saving money, but they wouldn't listen. Apple products "just work," therefore four figures for an email/homework/browsing laptop is the only way. Should've dumped my early paychecks into Apple under such conditions.

For me this era was def another time where I noticed Apple and thought they were on the verge of getting onto the next level. The obvious thing in the news of course was the iPod, but beyond that what caught my eye was this remarkable shift where a lot of older guys I knew in comp sci at my university were picking up G4 towers as their main computers. Now these were the sort of computer loving turbo nerds that in the past built computers and were wholly in Microsoft's orbit. What was going on?

It was that new new OS X simply was that good, and software writers, many getting clued into unix for the first time at university, recognized that OS X's unix underpinnings were very convenient and neato to play around with. A significant part of this generation of software engineers shifted to using OS X as their main.

Now that alone probably would have some positive impacts on Apple's business, but the more impactful thing was that to get this point, to the point where OS X was this insanely good product that passionate computer users were shifting platforms and spending significantly more on their computers just to use, it meant that Apple had seriously invested in this new operating system and this had given them a solid base to achieve even better things in the future.

Years later when Apple showed up with this iPhone thing people at Nokia and RIM reportedly thought it was fake because Apple's iOS software was such an incredible leap ahead of everyone else. Well it was built upon the foundation of OS X. This is what enabled Apple to pull this off.

Would be interesting to go way back to 1999 and look at Apple R&D spending numbers and see if it was upticking or anything, if they were making serious investments that paid off.

Of course Microsoft is also famously always spending a buttload on R&D but it all seems to always go to weird vaporware projects that are instantly cancelled.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Femtosecond posted:

Of course Microsoft is also famously always spending a buttload on R&D but it all seems to always go to weird vaporware projects that are instantly cancelled.

I work in computer engineering/CPU design industry and see Microsoft doing a lot of recruiting of my colleagues for new chip design jobs.

However, the VP of their hardware design org is a woman named Rani Borkar. She ran my org into the ground when I worked at Intel. She was later fired/let go with an enormous golden parachute. I never worked directly with her, but her all hands always felt like she didn't know how to run the group and didn't give a poo poo about any of our projects actually succeeding.

Aside: I saw this with a lot of leadership at Intel. There was another guy who was an awful program manager. Dude came in hungover, didn't know anything about how to do his job. Would be out partying when the silicon for the project he was leading came back for power on, etc. He went on to work at Apple where I thought he ran some group related to Intel's LTE/5G modem IP transfer to Apple-- which I heard wasn't going well. That guy I think he was let go or pushed out of Apple and is now a VP or senior VP at AMD. I don't understand how these terrible leaders seem to fail up, but I wish I knew how to advance in my career as quickly as they seem to do.

On top of that, my colleagues at my current company all think that Microsoft is going to fail at designing their own chips.

I don't think any of this will have any actual effect on MSFT stock, but I guess keep an eye out if Rani leaves Microsoft, or there's some news about Azure hardware using Intel-supplied chips or maybe AMD or ARM-based chips designed by some other company.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 21, 2022

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
SVRE looks like it's going to pop off this morning entered a starting position at 3.97

E: sold at 4.40

cirus fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 22, 2022

Zephyris
May 23, 2006

If you only knew the power of...

Zephyris posted:

Dunno if this should be its own thread but here's something to add to the discussion... what about going long leveraged volatility? I've been doing research on ProShares UVXY fund and it leverages vix futures to produce insane returns when things get bad.

I know UVXY has reverse split so I made sure to pull up an adjusted chart. It peaked out at $1,350/share in the first corona crash. Insane gap ups. I think I’ve figured out a great money maker if you’ve got enough balls to get through this. Right now it’s at a hilariously low cost/share of roughly $12.75/share.

If I DCA a little every week and put in a bit more near big events such as the elections, this seems like a low risk way to profit on a bad event happening. Worst case is I break even on something small like a big Ukraine crisis or win the jackpot on a Taiwan war as long a we aren’t radioactive, lol. This literally can’t go tits up unless we have world peace. If Donald takes back the white house next election I’m rich.

YES I KNOW UVXY DECAYS but if you just hold shares and sell on a peak why even care especially if you're using DCA when it goes down? I know a ton of people short this thing so if people start piling in long won't it squeeze higher too? Many ways to profit... any thoughts?

Quoting myself because if I had gone into this ironic joke trade I'd have been mega green!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Zephyris posted:

Quoting myself because if I had gone into this ironic joke trade I'd have been mega green!

But when would you have sold?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

pixaal posted:

at the top, duh

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

i understood that marvel was busy designing a x86 chip for azure workloads similar to how amazon has their own in house designs for their AWS offerings

but maybe thats not what their job is. MS is big and has reasons to have workable arm designs too

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Microsoft (and weirdly, Intel) put up a significant chunk of the funds that went into the design of RISC-V, which in some future timelines, might replace both x86-64 and ARM

I actually bought and booted unbuntu Linux and pinged Google over WiFi on a RISC-V computer over the weekend (from AliExpress, even) so it's formally moved out of "purely academic" and into "realm of commercial possibility"

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Hadlock posted:

Microsoft (and weirdly, Intel) put up a significant chunk of the funds that went into the design of RISC-V, which in some future timelines, might replace both x86-64 and ARM

It's not really "weird". Intel sees ARM as a threat to their server business. Intel also licenses ARM IP, and probably doesn't want to pay them. I'm sure the end goal is to make RISC-V servers on Intel process, as an alternative to Xeon for lower power applications. But Intel has also invested billions of dollars into stock buybacks and dividends, instead of into their fabs where they have lost a lot of ground so who knows. Maybe it's just a strategic play to hamstring ARM.

There are lots of RISC-V startups poaching ARM computer engineers, as well. I suspect that's where a lot of senior ARM people went that were hit in the recent layoffs.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

According to RISC-V 's website that has a PDF on the history of RISC-V the funding arrived in 07-08, which predates is in line with the public announcement of the iphone, x86-64 was flying high and Intel saw no need to get into the low end flip phone CPU market. My guess was that this was a way to maintain the pipeline of cpu designers coming out of Berkeley and into Intel. I don't think Intel saw arm as a threat, they were rolling out Galileo CPUs and other stuff to compete with arm into 2012-13

Edit https://live-risc-v.pantheonsite.io/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/EECS-2016-6.pdf

Which is paraphrased here

https://riscv.org/about/history/#origin

quote:

The Par Lab was a five-year project to advance parallel computing funded by Intel and Microsoft for $10M over 5 years, from 2008 to 2013 1. It also received funding from several other companies and the State of California.

They didn’t explicitly ask for RISC-V itself, their interest was in parallel processing systems.

Important part bolded

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 23, 2022

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

One thing I wanted to mention about Chewy.com is that they do source prescription pet foods cheaper than your local vet will sell the same food for, that's why I use it anyway. How valuable is that to their share price? No idea, I haven't researched them and have no plans to buy em.

I did buy a dog bowl from them one time, but I get all my cat food from amazon so v0v

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

MetaJew posted:

But Intel has also invested billions of dollars into stock buybacks and dividends, instead of into their fabs where they have lost a lot of ground so who knows.

I'm sitting in D1X, Intel's newest factory in Oregon as I write this and I can assure you, Intel is definitely spending billions in an attempt to catch up

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

I'm sitting in D1X, Intel's newest factory in Oregon as I write this and I can assure you, Intel is definitely spending billions in an attempt to catch up

Good to hear. I used to work in some of the Atom SOC groups and for the ten years I was there, we never moved to the 10 nm process. I think we did a 22nm chip and some 14nm chips that were canceled before tape out. Then later on, in the modem group we were on TSMC thanks to Murthy (amazing scam artist, 10/10).

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

yummycheese posted:

i understood that marvel was busy designing a x86 chip for azure workloads similar to how amazon has their own in house designs for their AWS offerings

but maybe thats not what their job is. MS is big and has reasons to have workable arm designs too

That team has also designed chips for Xbox and HoloLens. It’s a full service custom silicon group that just happens to have been reorged there.

Zephyris
May 23, 2006

If you only knew the power of...

pixaal posted:

Probably for a 5% gain after chasing March 2020 all over again

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

So is everyone here active traders or does anyone else just throw money into things like VTI or VOO and forget about it for 10+ years?

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
People in BFC do that but it has its own thread.

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...

Antillie posted:

So is everyone here active traders or does anyone else just throw money into things like VTI or VOO and forget about it for 10+ years?

I mostly do boring ETFs like VTI and forget about it, but I do a very small percentage of active trading/losing.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This is the gambling thread

Investment grade thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2892928

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I have a large chunk in "boring" set it and forget it stuff, but I also like to diversify as much as I can, and I also think there are opportunities groupthink misses.

Not really a thread for anything in between "dump everything into the vanguard 500 etf" and this thread. Although this one is coming back from random-speculation-bet-it-all-on-black a little bit.

And professional "gamblers" like to call it "advantage play"

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Baddog posted:

I also think there are opportunities groupthink misses.

Livestock Trading Thread calls the other side sheep. :v:

(I know, I know...)

Yeah, this is the active trading and/or degenerate gambling thread. YMMV depending on which side is more prolific in posting at the moment. Uncle Scrooge's Wild Ride or something.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I stopped trading a while ago and now exclusively do the boring 'deposit some money every other month in a world index fund' thingy. But this thread is more fun than the real investing thread.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

I activity trade on a regular basis. lots of options on tickers most people dont care about.

then a couple of oil and gas stocks that i always love

gains are about equal between the options trading gambling account and the only shares account.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Antillie posted:

Half the fun trying to figure this out!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I buy or sell some stock about once a year or so on average. I also do the long-term thing, this thread is for tempting me with weird poo poo to put $1k into for shits and giggles.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

If we genuinely dump and retest lows in September like so many people think will happen there will be some opportunities to play stock picker and pick up some specific stocks at very depressed prices. Alternatively to simply put more money into VTI.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I've gotten pretty cold feet and just stashed my dosh in safe funds like ARKK

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

I've gotten pretty cold feet and just stashed my dosh in safe funds like ARKK

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

people jumping in ARKK only after it posted 100% gains and ended up on cnbc every drat day instead of running for the exit will never not be funny

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Femtosecond posted:

If we genuinely dump and retest lows in September like so many people think will happen there will be some opportunities to play stock picker and pick up some specific stocks at very depressed prices. Alternatively to simply put more money into VTI.

What's so special about September?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Antillie posted:

I mostly do index funds but I do gamble a bit with timing the market (I know I'm bad to be doing this), mostly by changing the allocation between equities and other investments based on whether I think the market is over or under valued.

If I see something I think might be worth gambling on (in a longer term sense, not daytrading) I might still go for it. I'm currently considering Intel.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

John F Bennett posted:

Guesses:

Its the last Fed meeting with a large hike expected (roughly 60%/40% chance of 75bp/50bp, respectively per FedWatch)
Markets tend to get nervy ahead of US elections

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

On top of the fed meeting and election and all that as above, this bear market has played out eerily similar to 2008. Probably a huge coincidence, or the algo traders are forcing a fit and conspiring to kill credit suisse on the 15th.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Whoa, there's already a new US election? Almost feels like last week since you guys got a new president.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

these days it feels like america is one neverending election

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

drk posted:

Markets tend to get nervy ahead of US elections

https://youtu.be/AeWERCWyxw4

Some presidential election patterns observed by Ken Fisher. He also likes to point out that the third year of a US president's term almost always ends in the green. Whether that means this year has further to slide, who knows.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

Whoa, there's already a new US election? Almost feels like last week since you guys got a new president.

mid-terms.

We have an election or two every year in every state, for statewide and local offices, and occasionally (depending on individual state laws) to replace congresspeople who died or quit; members of our house of reps serve 2-year terms so we have full elections for the house every 2 years; senators serve 6-year terms, but they're split up so a third are up for election every 2-year cycle; and presidents serve 4-year terms so we normally have a presidential election every 4 years.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Doing it like this ensures that we avoid developing an entrenched political class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

mid-terms.

We have an election or two every year in every state, for statewide and local offices, and occasionally (depending on individual state laws) to replace congresspeople who died or quit; members of our house of reps serve 2-year terms so we have full elections for the house every 2 years; senators serve 6-year terms, but they're split up so a third are up for election every 2-year cycle; and presidents serve 4-year terms so we normally have a presidential election every 4 years.

Sounds complex, thanks for the info.