Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Oasx posted:

They just presented their new (non-Subnautica) game at Gamescom, and the world is created by Brandon Sanderson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP6r_hPECh0

Ehhh, not for me, though I do love Sanderson. Maybe.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

And for anyone who wanted another Subnautica, we got that as well from another developer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiayFsYfUEw

Hard to make out what kind of game it will be from the trailer, I'm not sure if those structures indicate a base building element or if it's just prebuilt scenery. Looks intriguing at least.

Hell yeah, as long as the creepy underwater exploration is there, I’m in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

And for anyone who wanted another Subnautica, we got that as well from another developer:

Hard to make out what kind of game it will be from the trailer, I'm not sure if those structures indicate a base building element or if it's just prebuilt scenery. Looks intriguing at least.

That's gorgeous, but it's Quantic Dream so I assume it's going to be another choose your own adventure kind of game like they usually make.

Nukelear v.2 fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 23, 2022

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Nukelear v.2 posted:

That's gorgeous, but it's Quantic Dream so I assume it's going to be another choose your own adventure kind of game like they usually make.

I'd be curious if they're going to try a different style of gameplay at all or still go for the more minor character control in smaller areas + dialogue choices. I don't mind that but I'd love something like a SOMA level of gameplay/interaction, still story focused but just enough exploration to be fun and interesting.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Congrats to General Battuta for getting to work in such a famous and popular author's world :)

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Hail, the Sovereign of Storytelling!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Quantic Dream is the studio behind Heavy Rain and Detroit: Become Human. I'm not exactly expecting much.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

No Dignity posted:

Congrats to General Battuta for getting to work in such a famous and popular author's world :)

Different teams, I'm afraid.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Quantic Dream is the studio behind Heavy Rain and Detroit: Become Human. I'm not exactly expecting much.

They are only publishers on this title though. Development was handled by a different French group called Parallel Studio.

Their previous work seems to be a bunch of VR and mobile adventure games, so it's probably not too far from the Quantic Dream interactive movie genre... but since David Cage isn't involved maybe it will not be totally awful?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I got the vibe of something along the lines of Tacoma.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Oasx posted:

They just presented their new (non-Subnautica) game at Gamescom, and the world is created by Brandon Sanderson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP6r_hPECh0

It’s everything I ever wanted out of a Mage Knight game.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Does anyone know of a way to disable the enable controller checkbox permanently?
I've been playing in VR and every time I launch that gets re-checked which causes major problems trying to navigate the main menu just to be able to play.
Even after unchecking it and playing back at the main menu its then rechecked so even exiting is difficult.
Not impossible but a real pain.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Thought the exact same thing. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't just a little 3-5 hour story game. Looks kinda neat though.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

veni veni veni posted:

Probably an unpopular opinion but I did not find Subnautica scary at all. I guess there are moments where something pops out of nowhere that gives you a jolt, but the cartoonish graphics, goofy looking fauna and relatively non lethal game design never really felt spooky tbh.

Personally, it was drat scary for me at a bunch of parts, but I don't think it would have been scary in the slightest if I had played it with the sound off. The audio was such a vital part of the whole experience and was so drat scary at certain points.
Like when I got to the tree cove for the first time, I was certain there was gonna be some terrifying poo poo in there just because the music was so drat scary sounding :gonk:

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

When I was 3 or 4 I got traumatized by being stung by jellyfish in a brown water bay. I haven't entered water where I couldn't see the bottom ever since. So when I'm descending in Subnautica but can't see the floor it begins to really get to me.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

TTBF posted:

When I was 3 or 4 I got traumatized by being stung by jellyfish in a brown water bay. I haven't entered water where I couldn't see the bottom ever since. So when I'm descending in Subnautica but can't see the floor it begins to really get to me.

Yeah this same thing gets me, my first play through I would have to take breaks when things felt too tense. It’s a definite different kind of fear impulse than most horror games.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

On the topic of Tacoma-likes, I’ve recently been enjoying Deliver Us The Moon. It very vaguely scratches the Submautica itch, although it’s far more of an exploration sim and there are no real FPS or survival elements.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

TTBF posted:

I had my own childhood stuff, but I think just mathematically when the water is really deep below you that dramatically increases the amount of area around you where there can be threats. On land you can be secure that if you're standing on a patch of land, it's fine, but when swimming above the abyss, anything could be down there.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

On land you can be secure that if you're standing on a patch of land, it's fine, but when swimming above the abyss, anything could be down there.

Graboids killed my family so this post is very insensitive

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qMb1_OlhHY

"Tailor your Below Zero experience to the finest of details with a new Custom Game Mode option. Toggle everything from Player Damage, to Day and Night Length, to Creature Hostility, to implementing a Vegetarian Diet, and much, much more. The challenges are endless and yours to create!"

Plus an unstuck option that unsticks you, but not your vehicle.

https://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/subnautica-below-zero-what-the-dock-update/

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Those custom game modes look like an awesome set of tweaks and I think I'm gonna actually get around to playing BZ.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MikeJF posted:

Those custom game modes look like an awesome set of tweaks and I think I'm gonna actually get around to playing BZ.

At the very least, it makes me want to explore the entire ocean area in the game. I can make everyone my friend now! :buddy:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

For the curious who can't be bothered

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Story option seems weird and sort of surprised such a thing is possible. I guess I can imagine maybe just like not triggering audio but what about other world triggers? I guess you can't "finish" it without the story? So it's more like making a sandbox mode?

Also that vegetarian option has me wondering if you can do a run completely passive without killing anything. Not sure how you solve very early water though...

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Xik posted:

Story option seems weird and sort of surprised such a thing is possible. I guess I can imagine maybe just like not triggering audio but what about other world triggers? I guess you can't "finish" it without the story? So it's more like making a sandbox mode?

Also that vegetarian option has me wondering if you can do a run completely passive without killing anything. Not sure how you solve very early water though...

I may be wrong, but the story mode toggle is probably just going to flip creative mode on or off. Like you can now do creative mode with air, food/water, and damage if you like.

The flip side of this patch is kinda cool too. You can now go through the whole story without worrying about death. They really need to do this in the original Subnautica too.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Wonder if you could make large animals only hostile to vehicles, and smaller predators only hostile to you on foot or small vehicles? Would like to somewhat balance my fear of reapers with wanting a bit of danger.

Maybe pass on the hypnofish though.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Xik posted:

In the first one you can book it to an island to pick up melons and don't have to kill anything for water. Not sure about BZ, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't a way to stay pacifist like that.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
if you can turn off blueprints, reinforcements, and materials, can you just finish the entire game without going more than a few feet from your base?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

ninjoatse.cx posted:

if you can turn off blueprints, reinforcements, and materials, can you just finish the entire game without going more than a few feet from your base?

You wouldn’t need the materials but you’d still have to pick up Alan, go to the fabricator base, and go to the portal gate.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Endless Trash posted:

You wouldn’t need the materials but you’d still have to pick up Alan, go to the fabricator base, and go to the portal gate.

anything stopping you from just building massive tunnels/platforms there? I beat the game, it's just been awhile, and I was drinking when I played

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

and I was drinking when I played

Many bladder fish gave their lives to bring us this post.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

If you have problems loading BZ now in VR go to the modding discord and get the new Qmod Manager/SML mod in #modding-news.
https://discord.gg/UpWuWwq

or try these links for the new files
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/578635702984507393/1019595074113376278/QModManager_BZ_Stable_4.4.4.1.zip
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/578635702984507393/1019595074549596170/SMLHelper_BZ.STABLE_2.14.1.1.zip

e: Seems VRtweaks still needs to be updated
Cant even click any menus, only thing that works is alt+f4

The modmaker in the Flatscreen to VR discord says they know of the update but cant get to it until this weekend.
Linked here
https://www.notion.so/beastsaber/Subnautica-Below-Zero-VR-Mod-08645fc02a1f4d039c2f25bfd515a140

OgNar fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 14, 2022

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Xik posted:

Just go rush for those peppers.

The problem with vegan mode is that it’s basically impossible for someone going into the game blind. There’s a few weird food items here and there but they’re not going to be easy to chance across and then exploit until you can sustain crops.

I guess nutrient blocks buy you a little amount of early game time.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

This is a list of working/busted mods for BZ after that update.
The workings ones would need those newer files i linked and also posted in their discord.
They are still beta so not up on Nexus yet

https://snm.crd.co/#modlist-bz

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Zesty posted:

Just go rush for those peppers.

The problem with vegan mode is that it’s basically impossible for someone going into the game blind. There’s a few weird food items here and there but they’re not going to be easy to chance across and then exploit until you can sustain crops.

I guess nutrient blocks buy you a little amount of early game time.

I did a playthrough recently where I didn't rush to anywhere with good stuff in an illogical way, followed the radio calls and the like, and going vegan meant eating a *lot* of kelp.

Like, a lot.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Oh I didn't know you could even eat kelp.

Gross. :barf:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Did this update invalidate saves?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Eifert Posting posted:

Did this update invalidate saves?

:ohdear: that Bz save I never finished from almost half a year ago can’t delete itself before I finish..! I liked that base I built.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I can't speak for anyone else but all of my saves are not populating

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have to say being able to modify the aggression of predators is a great feature. I've never liked how in these games anything that could possibly want to take a shot at you always wants to take a shot at you 100% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

veni veni veni posted:

Probably an unpopular opinion but I did not find Subnautica scary at all. I guess there are moments where something pops out of nowhere that gives you a jolt, but the cartoonish graphics, goofy looking fauna and relatively non lethal game design never really felt spooky tbh.

i did not find it scary at all but that's more because i love the deep ocean and i watch nautilus live and okeanos live all the time and really wish i could go on a submersible dive down to the abyssal plain. subnautica is a game i found relaxing, at least when it was not bugging the gently caress out on me (which it did, often).