Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
: Beat the game as Mint

I like how everyones so relaxed with Mint saying shes gonna conquer the world. Klaus even says he's excited to see how fun she'll make the world

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I was just about to post the same thing, I was getting frustrated enough with the little bit you have to do in the Underground Ruins as Mint but the part afterward outside Mel's atelier where you just have to do a few lovely Mario levels for no real reason has me shouting at my TV like DSP. I pushed jump dood come on.

It's the worst part of the game by a mile. Not really looking forward to replaying it in the Mint path

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I was just about to post the same thing, I was getting frustrated enough with the little bit you have to do in the Underground Ruins as Mint but the part afterward outside Mel's atelier where you just have to do a few lovely Mario levels for no real reason has me shouting at my TV like DSP. I pushed jump dood come on.

I had about a 60% success rate that the jump button would actually work during that part. Incredibly frustrating

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Mint can at least easily hit all the enemies in Mel's atelier lol. Rue gets his choice of the 4 worst transformations in the game for that part. The "double jump" the parrot one has... Anyway I felt much more confident in the platforming on the 2nd run but I can see how it would knock a few points off for some people

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

herculon posted:

I had about a 60% success rate that the jump button would actually work during that part. Incredibly frustrating

I just hit this part and turned the game off lol

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

The jumping is so enraging cause you really need to wait a second after one jump to do another. Once I figured that out it was easier.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

herculon posted:

Yeah there’s something off about how the jump button works near ledges. If I’m just trying to hop over an obstacle or enemy or something I’ve never had an issue but trying to jump over a ledge it feels like even odds that my character’s just going to keep running straight off the ledge after I hit jump. It’s like the button doesn’t work within a certain distance from the edge

I’m still really enjoying everything about this game that isn’t platforming, I’m hoping I can put this part behind me soon

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

theres a bunch near the end where if you dont meet the timer you dont get healed lol. they're pretty easy though

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I know this is supposed to be an easy game but I loving die a lot at some bosses. It’s definitely a me problem.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

my morning jackass posted:

I know this is supposed to be an easy game but I loving die a lot at some bosses. It’s definitely a me problem.

I died like 4 times to the Duke fight in the ghost temple because it kept autotargeting me to hit the exploding objects in the arena

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I died like 4 times to the Duke fight in the ghost temple because it kept autotargeting me to hit the exploding objects in the arena

I just beat this fight and had the same problem. Also, Duke seemed to be immune to my hits most of the time.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

herculon posted:

I just beat this fight and had the same problem. Also, Duke seemed to be immune to my hits most of the time.

I think he's invincible when he does his ground pound energy wave thing

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

Mint can at least easily hit all the enemies in Mel's atelier lol. Rue gets his choice of the 4 worst transformations in the game for that part. The "double jump" the parrot one has... Anyway I felt much more confident in the platforming on the 2nd run but I can see how it would knock a few points off for some people

Yeah, I'm not quite done with the Mint run but I've found the platforming to be much easier this time around. Not sure if it's the ability to hit enemies without transform or something in the way their positions are depicted, or just my being more familiar with the game

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I finally got through the third challenge at Mel's and my computer crashed before I saved, OH WELL

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

: Get the Epilogue ending

I enjoyed the game a lot more on the Mint run. Part of it was just knowing how to handle some of the frustrating areas and platforming, but I also just think Mint's skillset is more fun to play with. There's a sense of progression as you discover different magic types and colors that you don't get with Rue, and I think the supporting cast is better represented too. I liked Rue's unique dungeon more than Mint's though.

Favorite moments: when you get the letter from the hoodlums, and the moment where Duke uses his Act power to become Rod. If any imps are looking to start late and only go for one, I'd rec the Mint run over Rue.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

what size is your tv

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

elf help book posted:

what size is your tv

20-something inches

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

elf help book posted:

what size is your tv

Pablo Nergigante posted:

20-something inches

Congrats to Pablo's boyfriend, "your tv"

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

: Beat the game as Rue

I don't think I would have ever gotten around to playing this on my own, but I enjoyed it a lot (apart from some of the frustrating platforming). IZGC has been great for introducing games that weren't on my radar at all.

played the first 10 minutes or so of the Mint story too and I can already tell I'm going to like it a lot more.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

I quit at Mel's. That poo poo was miserable

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Ask me about shitposting in SAD to get the attention my parents never gave me
this game is AIDS lol. I love fighting a boss and my attacks auto targeting exploding barrels

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

That Little Demon posted:

this game is AIDS lol. I love fighting a boss and my attacks auto targeting exploding barrels

sounds like your a noob

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Ask me about shitposting in SAD to get the attention my parents never gave me

trying to jack off posted:

sounds like your a noob

obviously lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

its an easy game made for children

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Probably not gonna be able to finish this cause I'm going on vacation. The game is really charming though and the jankiness is just kinda pleasantly nostalgic except for the insanely bad platforming segments

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Beat the game as Rue.

Definitely a great summer game club choice. Gonna see if I can get through mint before the deadline.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Played through half of Mint's campaign, she's a lot of fun to play as but I was hoping there'd be a bit more of a difference in the route itself... it's a short game though ag least. Hopefully beat it tonight

e: I don't want to do Raging Mountain again.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 24, 2022

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Glad to see my pick held up, hadn’t played it since I was a young’un and I never beat it back in the day. I’m gonna start Mint’s story tonight and dive headfirst into it tomorrow

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Playing as mint is so much easier.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Wasted an embarrassing amount of coins on the Duke/Belle/hexagon fight. Rue and I are not on the same page

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

herculon posted:

Wasted an embarrassing amount of coins on the Duke/Belle/hexagon fight. Rue and I are not on the same page

same. using the giant pigs charged up triangle move was pretty effective for dealing with hexagon I found.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

my morning jackass posted:

Playing as mint is so much easier.

Definitely

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

a bit in i just stopped trying to use rues transformations and it became much easier, most bosses you can just keep knocking over with a normal sword slash over and over...

I agree though that playing Mint's story first is better. Hers is farcical and fun, then you you get Rue's story to explain what was really going on. I liked Mint showing up late for the relic as Rue's escaping and getting pissed off as well :)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Some of the shine of the game definitely wore off a bit on the second playthrough of some of the less fun parts, despite being a pretty short game it felt like it was stretched out a bit more than necessary by some of the backtracking and filler sections. I was actively kind of regretting doing a second playthrough at the point where for some reason I had to do an even more tedious second runthrough of the Underground Cavern lol, but I'm glad I did overall, it's not like it was a huge timesink.

Playing as Mint was way easier than Rue but I never found use for 90% of the magic and some bosses just didn't really seem to be affected by it even if it felt like they should have been, I resorted to jump attacks mostly towards the end of the game, which made her and Rue feel pretty similar. I think I liked her story more overall though, it had some genuinely funny parts and had some cool scenes with the rest of the cast that I didn't expect

The Epilogue ending was a bit disappointing, it was weird that it basically established Rue as the "canon" route which I didn't think it was going to do, it would have been fairly easy to just cut Claire out and leave that aspect ambiguous, but I guess that would've left Rue's story on a pretty sour note and Mint's story basically ended with going back to square one anyway.

I don't think it really needed a sequel which the Epilogue was obviously teasing for, but it was still nice to think about all the characters continuing to go on adventures, I really liked most of the cast.

Overall a good pick, would almost certainly never have played it otherwise and despite some rough edges and lovely platforming parts, it was a really charming little game.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Cute game, but I absolutely never got the hang of the controls. I almost rage quit out of the final dungeon when I had to refight the flying whale boss.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Lol the first fight was my first death in mint mode but I killed the refight with a single homing lighting bolt

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

gently caress that whale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Easy once I figured out all you need is the jump attack. Wish the game would’ve done more with transforming. You only really need it to get around obstacles