Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
There's not really any compelling reason to do (Extreme) or higher content, right? It felt weird to be immediately assigned Thornmarch (Hard) as part of 2.X MSQ, I had a brief moment of "But I haven't even done Thornmarch normal!" but it seems like it's just a notation for "This is how we're labeling 8-man content. Unless it's an actual continuation of a dungeon, that's still 4-man."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

You usually do Extreme content for weapons/gear (although even for current content the gear is soon outclassed by Savage content), for mounts, or for just the accomplishement of it. You can also use unsynched ARR/HW extremes to easily do catbook content (once you get it).

You can effectively ignore Extreme/Savage content if you are just going through the MSQ tho.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Because nobody ever bothers to actually say what unsyncing is: using the "undersized party" option in the duty finder configs, you can disable the automatic character level and item level downgrading to absolutely stomp duties for completion (and typically reduced rewards) and go in with less people than the content normally requires. Like Tekopo said, it's the best way to run something just for the story and catbook if you're having trouble queueing, and typically someone in your FC should be willing to blast through the combat for you if you don't have a job in the 80s or 90s.

And outside of old raid series, none of the content you'd want to unsync to get through is super story relevant, and the plots of the raids themselves are pretty self contained (though fun on their own!)

Jorge Bell fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Aug 22, 2022

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

There is (almost) no story associated with Extreme/Savage stuff, and after ARR the in-universe explanation for them is "someone made poo poo up, this isn't actually happening (don't ask where the loot comes from)".

Hard is just a meaningless word added to the end of some duty names.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, "Hard" is sort of a weird outmoded label -- for ARR, it means "this is a full eight-player trial," which makes sense for the trial bosses you initially fought as a four-player group, but makes less sense on the new trials. For dungeons, it indicates that they've created a higher-level dungeon using an old map (generally at capstone level), but most of the "Hard" dungeons aren't really more difficult than their originals. Extreme and Savage (or the Minstrel's Ballad) are the more consistent labels of "this is that thing you did before, but harder and more mechanically complex," and there's no reason to do them except for cosmetics or fun.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Also the most high end gear available, usually. This isn't ever necessary to just progress through the game, but if you're max level and want all the biggest numbers then Savage is your goal.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Also, don't queue for Extremes in the Duty Finder like with a normal dungeon. If you do this, you will get a few mentors, and a bunch of other people who don't know you're not supposed to do that, who have never done an endgame raid in their lives, and have never faced a challenge that hitting random buttons couldn't beat. You'll wipe a bunch and then, if its one of the easier ones, you might win after like 80 mins. Or you'll just decide that this clearly isn't going to work and vote abandon.

I had a mentor roulette that popped yesterday for Striking Tree EX. We load in and one of the other mentors starts giving the "this is going to be hard, you need to know what we're doing before we pull" speech. One of the sprouts was like "what did I get into? I just wanted to get the quest out of my journal :( " We give it a few tries but one of the tanks can't understand something about tank swaps so we just abandon.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
By the way, if you just want to get them out of your journal, do them unsynced as explained above.

Leavy
Feb 15, 2003

rufus
doing the ARR extremes solo at 70 was a fun little detour, I went in blind for all of them and only really had to look up a mechanic on Ramuh’s fight. also riding around on a big golden Monster Hunter boss as a sprout feels great

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Post-Stormblood content: God, I hope I get to beat up Asahi. What a tool. Just got up to the summoning he's involved in orchestrating.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

He's my favorite love-to-hate guy.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I'm coming to the end of Endwalker and listening to Answers on a permanent loop which made me curious: have the writers ever talked about how much they planned out the broad story arc? I know they apparently plan out an expansion ahead, but Answers fits with Hydaelyn's ultimate plan so neatly that I was wondering if it was something planned from the beginning or something they reverse-engineered when it came time to make Endwalker.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

1stGear posted:

I'm coming to the end of Endwalker and listening to Answers on a permanent loop which made me curious: have the writers ever talked about how much they planned out the broad story arc? I know they apparently plan out an expansion ahead, but Answers fits with Hydaelyn's ultimate plan so neatly that I was wondering if it was something planned from the beginning or something they reverse-engineered when it came time to make Endwalker.

I don't think it's ever had a full behind-the-scenes breakdown, but they have gone on-record as saying "initial plans changed as the game evolved, fit what was already out into new ideas." I think it was start or end of Heavenward that they really nailed down where they were going with this but more a direction they could flex than "here's every story beat until 6.0, these cannot change".

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I wonder if (HW spoiler) they intended to kill Estinien off at the end of True Steps of Faith, but realized it didn’t fit the story they were telling.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
HW: Woulda made the Dragoon job quests real awkward. I know job quests 'take place' during the expansion they were released in, but I'm pretty sure none of the other major job quest dudes die in the MSQ.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

YggiDee posted:

HW: Woulda made the Dragoon job quests real awkward. I know job quests 'take place' during the expansion they were released in, but I'm pretty sure none of the other major job quest dudes die in the MSQ.

I mean (later than HW spoilers as well) it’s already awkward enough to have Estinien stealing the eye while he’s also chilling in Radz-at-Han’s bar, and yet…

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Speaking of HW and dragoons, the ending of the HW dragoon quests is weird to do after doing all of 3.x.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

1stGear posted:

From what I understand, they didn't have much long term plans until post Heavensward, when the warriors of darkness came into the picture. Probably no plot lines from 1.0 survived, ARR pre-patches was its own thing built on the dalamund fall and the immediat conflict with Garlemald that would lead to "let's go to Ishgard" ultimately (a lot through the coerthas zones), and HW was built on these plot threads which were expanded during the patches.
I would guess that even "who the ascians were before the sundering" was just a vague idea until StB. Some lore pieces we get during ARR do not really fit with the current narrative, so there must have been a whole lot of retconning and rewriting from the initial ideas to get to Endwalker, Answer being retrofit one of those. They did one hell of a job that's for sure.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

1stGear posted:

A lot about Answers is sort of reverse engineered. Like it was written for 1.0, but it ends up resonating a lot stronger with the fall of Dalamud and 2.0. And then again for Endwalker.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I’m working my way through the four lords quest line while I alternate with the post-Stormblood MSQ and Tataru running around wildly failing every mechanic in the solo duty was very funny

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Dareon posted:

There's not really any compelling reason to do (Extreme) or higher content, right?

Tl;dr don't worry about it until you decide you want to engage with it. It'll be there when you want to get to it.

Extremes/savages get you music, mounts, gear, furniture, etc. etc. The thing with the gear is, most of it is used for fashion purposes, and on level extreme gear is just used to clown non-Extreme content even harder, which isn't really helpful, or to clear other Extreme/Savage fights, which are completely optional.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Just saw Far Edge of Fate before maintenance, and God, that Shinryu/Omega fight was hype.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

girl dick energy posted:

Just saw Far Edge of Fate before maintenance, and God, that Shinryu/Omega fight was hype.

That was very much a ”we’re a successful game now, we can spend money on cinematics” moment.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

girl dick energy posted:

That scene got me to resub after I burned out in ARR. My brother linked it to me during the Shadowbringers hype.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

girl dick energy posted:

PS3 died for that scene.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

hopeandjoy posted:

I mean (later than HW spoilers as well) it’s already awkward enough to have Estinien stealing the eye while he’s also chilling in Radz-at-Han’s bar, and yet…

I feel like that sort of thing, although it doesn't make logical sense, is emotionally okay whereas if he was dead it would feel super weird.

As far as I know there are no cases where someone in a sidequest dies later, with the kind of exception of Nanamo (but she got better)

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I'm certain this has been asked before so apologies in advance. I quit playing around 2016 a little after heavensword with a lvl 33 white mage on Excalibur. I remember almost nothing of the story (although ng+ may fix this?) or frankly how to play a lot of the game/what the content is. Would it make sense to just restart with a new character?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i probably would. not like you are super far into the game.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I blew away a low 40's BLM for a fresh account for similar reasons. Clean start imo!

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Zachack posted:

I'm certain this has been asked before so apologies in advance. I quit playing around 2016 a little after heavensword with a lvl 33 white mage on Excalibur. I remember almost nothing of the story (although ng+ may fix this?) or frankly how to play a lot of the game/what the content is. Would it make sense to just restart with a new character?

Starting over at that level isn't a big deal at all, but if you'd prefer not to, you can check out the book inside any inn to watch previous cutscenes. That'd get you the gist of what's going on more quickly.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm in early StB, an omnicrafter, and broke because I spent all my money on expanding my orchestrion collection. What're some good things to either gather/retainer or make and put up for sale to get some cashflow going? (My crafting/gathering jobs are in the early 70s across the board, for whatever it's worth. Thanks, Firmament! <3)

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

girl dick energy posted:

I'm in early StB, an omnicrafter, and broke because I spent all my money on expanding my orchestrion collection. What're some good things to either gather/retainer or make and put up for sale to get some cashflow going? (My crafting/gathering jobs are in the early 70s across the board, for whatever it's worth. Thanks, Firmament! <3)

I'm only 50, so this might be penny-ante in comparison, but.

The craftable minions go fairly quickly and for decent sums, although you'll be blowing a small chunk of your profits on just getting back the sheer number of crystals you spent making them. Also the wind-up qiqirn is goddamn adorable, get one into your minion roulette for a wee ratty friend.

One thing I'd recommend is if you make a lot of something to try and corner the market, split them up between your retainers. I tried selling Mosshorn Scale Mail and spent a couple weeks watching people undercut me. Granted this was mostly due to it being level 47 armor (I assume most people spend the 45-50 range using whatever they had before they got their relic pants/gloves/boots/hat) with not much going for it in the glam department, but I'm sure seeing six suits of it for sale by the same retainer didn't do me any favors. Started out charging 6000 for it, which was the going price for a set at the time. Ultimately they sold at 1500, and honestly I would have made a profit selling at 200 because the raw materials were iron plates and mob drops that were going for 1-10 apiece.

You can never go far wrong selling the things needed for DoH/DoL job quests. Though I think there's more of a market for the immediate precursors on the crafted turnins, people (sample size: me) like having made the actual item even if someone else went and got the cobalt and jade or whatever.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
does anyone have a definitive answer to whether retainer ilvl matters beyond meeting expedition requirements?

should i even equip my dol ones with accessories if they don’t have perception?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

girl dick energy posted:

I'm not really a market maven, but I've had a consistently decent cash flow just from making intermediate crafting mats (lumber, ingots, cloth, etc.) and selling those. They move pretty quickly and consistently, especially the ones that require monster drops. (If you have extra leather from the tiers above vendor-available stuff, it sells great.)

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

kliras posted:

does anyone have a definitive answer to whether retainer ilvl matters beyond meeting expedition requirements?

should i even equip my dol ones with accessories if they don’t have perception?
Item level doesn't matter for gathering retainers, but Endwalker changed the system to use perception for yields. How perception adds to quick and exploration ventures, I don't know. Either way, accessories are only useful if they have materia slots and you plan to slot in more gathering or perception that way, otherwise you can skip them.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

girl dick energy posted:

Just going through the crafting log and making HQs of stuff you haven't checkmarked yet will make ok cash. Most random leveling gear sells for 30k eventually so you can put up ~600k/retainer, but it's not high volume.

Custom deliveries and collectibles get you scrip, with which you can buy materia 9s. Especially the +control materia is in very high demand and will sell quickly, but while leveling you may want to spend scrip on folklore and recipe books instead.

Finally, bulk gathering can be reasonable. There's usually some mineral water, ore, weed or whatnot in HW or StB that sells for a couple hundred. 1k or 2k per node isn't bad, but tedious and also not great.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

girl dick energy posted:

Cloud Mica Whetstones are a surprisingly decent moneymaker because people need them for the Firmament and they're very easy to craft.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

usually if im just farming materials to craft something for myself, I'll take a little extra time and farm more than I need, and make a couple extra of whatever im making to sell

Leavy
Feb 15, 2003

rufus

girl dick energy posted:

Selling things required for leves is how I’ve made a large chunk of money. Usually you can get like 25-40k per HQ craft (including 3 stacks of culinarian food)

https://ffxivcrafting.com/ is a great site to browse all the leves easily, and even add them to a to-craft list so you can gather and craft in bulk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Leavy posted:

Selling things required for leves is how I’ve made a large chunk of money. Usually you can get like 25-40k per HQ craft (including 3 stacks of culinarian food)

https://ffxivcrafting.com/ is a great site to browse all the leves easily, and even add them to a to-craft list so you can gather and craft in bulk.

Completing leves generally isn't a good source of gil or XP, especially at lower levels, but the weekly challenge log entries for them do give a nice amount of XP. When you finish a challenge log entry, you get the XP on whichever job you're currently playing, so you could use easy leves to feed that challenge log XP to any other job, even BLU. I think levequest challenge logs are the only ones that let you game the system like that.