Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pyrolocutus posted:

Umbrella must have a really good student loan coverage benefit.

If I die they won't be my problem anymore. They'll be someone's but not mine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
It's not a horror game, but Dear Esther had some "missable scares" in that there are (randomized, I believe?) dark silhouette people that you can see at certain parts, like wandering the cliffs in the distance.

veni veni veni posted:

I don't actually remember that scene,

To be clear, the head itself is actually super obvious (it's the only other thing in the fridge), it's just on-screen very briefly. I had quickly glanced away to check my phone and missed it!

Your story made me :lol:. If it makes you feel any better, I would NOT have let that poo poo go, ha.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Pyrolocutus posted:

Umbrella must have a really good student loan coverage benefit.

In theory, yes, but actually collecting on it is, well, murder.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mix. posted:

:prepop: friend bought me the resi evil bundle bc i've literally never played any of them, is there anything i should know before i start (besides that i apparently want to do 5 and 6 co-op to make them less of a slog)

Coming in late with this advice, but please get the End of Zoe DLC after you play through 7, it is perhaps the most purely delightful thing the franchise has produced

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

End of Zoe is a lot of fun it's too bad it's not included in that humble bundle

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
White Day had scares included based on the difficulty level which I think is a bad idea because it was already too difficult and I want to be maximum scared without being smacked around even harder

Scariness should have been a selectable difficulty like the Puzzle/Combat divide in Silent Hill

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I can't remember it but there was definitely a recent-ish horror game that let you toggle jump scares on/off and that's a really smart idea.

As for Resident Evil, I think Umbrella only technically existed in 1 + 2, every other form is like a splinter group or in the case of 7 Chris makes the smoothbrained decision to name his anti-bioterrorism taskforce after the Apple-Amazon-Microsoft-Google of bioterrorists.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Nah they're still around in Code Veronica too, Claire gets caught infiltrating one of their office buildings (alone for some reason) and they rake the entire building with helicopter mounted minigun fire and get like 30 of their own guys killed to catch her and then throw her into a secret island prison. So they're still enough of a company to have office buildings and secret island prisons at least.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
https://www.ign.com/articles/killer-klowns-from-outer-space-the-game-3v7-multiplayer

Killer Klowns From Outer Space!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Expected? No. Welcome? Yes.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

And unlike Friday the 13th I'm sure Killer Klowns is a license not caught in an endless petty licensing war.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

according to an IGN article the writers for the movie helped co-write the game and the composer for the movie did the scores.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

They got that rad theme song, and that's all I can ask. Because I'm gonna be humming it for days.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
I'm extremely close to platinum trophying Song of Horror and I'll be glad when it's done. Not that it's a bad game, just that beating the game on HP Lovecraft difficulty is actually fairly difficult and the Presence begins hunting you from the beginning of every single chapter. Some decent scares in it.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

It's an odd license to get a game for sure, but it seems like Friday proved this kind of game works well with these kinds of licenses.

Wasn't there also a Predator game that came out last year with the same multiplayer gimmick?

And Evil Dead just came out and I saw an ad for a Ghostbusters one coming next year.

I'm not salty about Friday dying at all :colbert:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

joylessdivision posted:

I saw an ad for a Ghostbusters one coming next year.

Ghostbusters: Spirits Unleashed comes out in October. It looks like bad cookie cutter ‘and then we pasted over the existing weapons with a proton pack and threw in some ghosts’.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

3v7 sounds like it's going to be impossible to find games.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I'm glad that Dead By Daylight is no longer going to be the only asymmetrical horror game. I hate the toxic survivor community and they expect you to play by certain rules as the killer. Hopefully, it will have a decent population or like Sigher said, its going to be hard to find a game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

DbD killer rules only matter if you're susceptible to peer pressure and 12 years of D.A.R.E. propaganda has made me immune. I will slug as I please.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

not to mention survivors will just imagine poo poo up themselves that you in fact didn't do, or project their own feelings onto your actions.

You either get zen about DbD or you get really mad, and there really feels like no in-between.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
the third option is getting hideously bored by it

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yup, if killers obeyed all the "unwritten rules" of DBD it'd be complete poo poo. Slug, tunnel and facecamp all you want, you're a loving slasher villain, you're meant to be evil and unfair.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I, as a killer, want survivors to have fun too. But there's a difference between a tense, competitive match with some fun spooks or unexpected twists and me just being a extra polite and oops sir did you need me to stop at that pallet so you can stun me? Oh sorry let me stare into the flashlight for you, oh pardon me I'll open that gate for you.

IMO the problem is the tribalism and the fact each side basically doesn't consider the other a human being playing a video game for fun after a certain point. It's real weird.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Yeah, I don't follow the rules either. its just more a comment how toxic survivors are.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

killers can be equally toxic, both sides have their problem players.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
sometimes i get a glimpse of some drama i've never even considered and feel a wave of thankfulness wash over me. like watching the guy in front of me trigger the spear trap

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

joylessdivision posted:

It's an odd license to get a game for sure, but it seems like Friday proved this kind of game works well with these kinds of licenses.

Wasn't there also a Predator game that came out last year with the same multiplayer gimmick?

And Evil Dead just came out and I saw an ad for a Ghostbusters one coming next year.

I'm not salty about Friday dying at all :colbert:

Predator Hunting ground was kind of alright if you could snag for 20 or so bucks. I got about that much fun out of it with some friends. A the time it was a bit janky so I'm not sure if any of that has been cleaned up. The Predator could get stuck in trees, things like that.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'm glad that Dead By Daylight is no longer going to be the only asymmetrical horror game. I hate the toxic survivor community and they expect you to play by certain rules as the killer. Hopefully, it will have a decent population or like Sigher said, its going to be hard to find a game.

It basically always will be. All the others die in a couple months. Usually after getting brigaded by DBD players talking about how the game is poo poo because its not DBD, then they'll go back to bitching about DBD.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

dogstile posted:

It basically always will be. All the others die in a couple months. Usually after getting brigaded by DBD players talking about how the game is poo poo because its not DBD, then they'll go back to bitching about DBD.

Well, the ones that try and just copy DbD have that problem, there have been other horror feeling asymmetrical multiplayer games that have lasted a while in their time. Evil Dead is still going relatively strong and that just came out; before then you had games like Natural Selection for team multiplayer or something like Depth which is my favorite "getting eaten by sharks" game.

I never really saw what everyone else did in the Friday the 13th game; it was fine but Jason was too lethal. If you got kitted out and practice with weapons then you can survive but as a newer player your practice basically came down to going for a swing and then getting just straight executed.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

CuddleCryptid posted:

I never really saw what everyone else did in the Friday the 13th game; it was fine but Jason was too lethal. If you got kitted out and practice with weapons then you can survive but as a newer player your practice basically came down to going for a swing and then getting just straight executed.

Jason wasn't too lethal at all, he was supernatural serial killer lethal which was the point. All of the cool sick ways you could be killed by Jason made the whole thing a horror movie, and incentivised players being okay with dying because, well, that's usually what happened in the movies and you just got to see the sleeping bag kill but on you

If you managed to stay quiet and hidden the whole game and the cops got called you had a shot, if a Bugzy valiantly barged in and smacked Jason with a crowbar, Vanessa just might be able to get away.

F13 wasn't about winning, it was about being a stupid teenager in a F13 movie and creating movie worthy moments and it was glorious.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 26, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Jason wasn't too lethal at all, he was supernatural serial killer lethal which was the point. All of the cool sick ways you could be killed by Jason made the whole thing a horror movie, and incentivised players being okay with dying because, well, that's usually what happened in the movies.

If you managed to stay quiet and hidden the whole game and the cops got called you had a shot, if a Bugzy valiantly barged in and smacked Jason with a crowbar, Vanessa just might be able to get away.

F13 wasn't about winning, it was about being a stupid teenager in a F13 movie and it was glorious.

Yeah that's what everyone says about it and it makes for some good animations but I just don't find it fun. It didn't feel like you were being hunted, more like you were in a footrace with an abrams tank that can teleport, and that's just annoying rather than scary.

But to each their own, I'm not a giant fan of the series so that might be the missing key in all of it.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I def feel you. It really was the best love letter fans of the movies could have asked for, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was a block on your enjoyment

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I always found DBD was fun if I ignored the community entirely and just played killer most of the time. I played survivor with goons a few times and that was pretty fun too.

But yeah, if I'm the killer, there's no etiquette. I'm going to kill you any way I can. I don't face camp because it feels a little douchy to me, but anything else is fair game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Face camping (had to look it up, why is it called that) just sounds boring for everyone involved, and I don't see the benefit - sure, I guess the survivor dies eventually, but in the meantime everyone's running around getting poo poo done and you're just standing there doing nothing.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Morpheus posted:

Face camping (had to look it up, why is it called that) just sounds boring for everyone involved, and I don't see the benefit - sure, I guess the survivor dies eventually, but in the meantime everyone's running around getting poo poo done and you're just standing there doing nothing.

Its a bad way to play and only bad players do it as an actual strategy but it's also a thing to meet toxicity with toxicity when someone is being a dick.

"Yeah I'm going to lose but we're going down together, rear end in a top hat"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
and I hope you die
I hope we both die

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

dogstile posted:

I can't speak for many others, but VHS fell kinda flat for me because you have a very limited window of being "ooooh the MONSTER" and then the teens just pile on you, at least from my experience. Maybe if they had a secondary objective that put pressure on their main one, but eh.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

"Tunnelling" is the DBD complaint I never got. If you're bad enough at playing survivor that I can catch you repeatedly, then surely that's just on you to get better at escaping?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

"Tunnelling" is the DBD complaint I never got. If you're bad enough at playing survivor that I can catch you repeatedly, then surely that's just on you to get better at escaping?

the "correct" term for tunnelling is when you go out of your way to punish a specific player and get them dead as fast as possible, including targeting them the second they get off hook so that it's not "catch repeatedly" so much as "make it so you never get a chance to play the game altogether". That said, like other terms survivors use towards killers, it got watered down/spread out so much that its lost its meaning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I've never played DbD but "slugging" just seems like good strategy and if it ruins the pacing of the game that's on the game's design. I guess there are perks that eventually get you back on your feet but if it's game breaking issue maybe the designers should've factored in a timer or an area where downed players can lift themselves up.

But thematically using an injured person as bait is what predators do.