Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Paradoxish posted:

Yep. It was supposed to be like six hours of downpour and we got like maybe an hour of moderate rain. Very cool.

All the trees in my area are turning and dropping leaves which is, uh, extremely lol for August.

Repeat performance today. We had rain/storms forecast all day. Forecast window gradually shrank until it's now gone, without a drop of rain having fallen. We saw some distant dark skies and heard some thunder and that was it. This is so depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
give it another hour Wamsutta. our deluge finally came through

watchin the meadow green up in real time, it's nice

not so sure about the willow trees that have been dropping leaves.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

NeonPunk posted:

Having a meter wide and few miles deep hole wouldn't work well anyway since you'll be limited by the amount of water being able to flow into the hole, so this design wouldn't be able to prevent flooding if there is more water piling up than would go in the hole.

How about a hole few miles wide and a meter deep instead?

thats called a lake

dr_rat posted:

Yeah, but then you're pretty likely to drill too deep and suddenly you're city is over run underground beings of unknowable horror or some such, also unless you dig the hole deep enough so the ground temp will evaporate the water away, that holes just gonna keep filling up with water. Then when it's done you'll just have to dig another hole.

the water hitting the extremely hot rock would create superheated steam which would then geyser back out of the hole, making a fuckin sweet fountain. probably wouldn't be great for holding the water though

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://mobile.twitter.com/iCyclone/status/1562123768582905857

10 days out

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
How many people did Three Olives take in?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I wish people would stop doing this

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

here’s what that tweet was really talking about

https://twitter.com/tropicaltidbits/status/1562159341846679552?s=21&t=k5OOOE7f9JRuNl8W_gmvhA

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

looks like certain death to me

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

WaryWarren posted:

How many people did Three Olives take in?

the rear end or his apartment?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hurricane threatening Alabama, you say?

:smugdon:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

NeonPunk posted:

How about a hole few miles wide and a meter deep instead?

cuz they'd put a subdivision in it and sue FEMA/ACE when it filled up

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Hooplah posted:

the water hitting the extremely hot rock would create superheated steam which would then geyser back out of the hole, making a fuckin sweet fountain. probably wouldn't be great for holding the water though

Get this poster a self-driving electric car company already

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the bigger problem with the "dig a big hole" idea is that you are only gonna want to spend enough to dig it big enough for you, you don't wanna also be responsible for holding all the water for your shithead neighbor who is always parking too close to your driveway and isn't digging a hole. but water doesn't work like that, so you're gonna get flooded still. if only there was some sort of large societal organization that dealt with issues like this

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
You guys can't fool me. This isn't about flood control at all, you're just trying to find Kissin' Kate Barlow's hidden treasure!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

finally! welcome home Danielle, the first category 8 hurricane.

anything less with be a modeling crisis.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

gently caress YEAH HURRICANE SEASON LETS GO

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

hypercane take me. amen

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
The modeling crisis is back!

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I also really hate the THOUSAND YEAR FLOOD stuff.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

statistics how do they work

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

SirPablo posted:

I also really hate the THOUSAND YEAR FLOOD stuff.

yeah from a lay perspective it's just really horrible language, we should come up with a better way to express the relative/absolute frequency of any given event.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

there are millions of places on earth thousands of them can have their worst day in a millenium at once

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i'm excited for when we have a once in one million years flood

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Stereotype posted:

Indeed, only one more month to wait!

As the Angel told me, already stored two of every computer game on my ark!

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FlamingLiberal posted:

I wish people would stop doing this

I mean, I said it was 10 days out on the GFS. It has always been fun to share the crazy long runs of these models that prob won't resolve, especially considering the dearth of tropical activity this season

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

on a long enough timeline anything is possible lmao lol

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Remember the GFS 117 degrees in Fargo forecast? Good times.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/lockingitin/status/1562214071218442240?s=20&t=1tVJGgUENPShRxd_9HFiAg

oooo baby

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Stereotype posted:

we're allowed 2 per quaternary

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
we're now entering the cringezoic era

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

that’s a good one

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

pro follow

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

hell yeah right in america's taint

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Stereotype posted:

the bigger problem with the "dig a big hole" idea is that you are only gonna want to spend enough to dig it big enough for you, you don't wanna also be responsible for holding all the water for your shithead neighbor who is always parking too close to your driveway and isn't digging a hole. but water doesn't work like that, so you're gonna get flooded still. if only there was some sort of large societal organization that dealt with issues like this

That’s why you #buildthewall.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

I just want to see air pressure in the 700 range is it too much to ask

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Vesi posted:

:sickos:Hypercanes would have wind speeds of over 800 kilometres per hour (500 mph), potentially gusting to 970 km/h (600 mph), and would also have a central pressure of less than 700 hectopascals (20.67 inHg), giving them an enormous lifespan of at least several weeks. This extreme low pressure could also support massive storm systems roughly the size of North America

The waters after a hypercane could remain hot enough for weeks, allowing more hypercanes to form. A hypercane's clouds would reach 30 to 40 km (20 to 25 mi) into the stratosphere. Such an intense storm would also damage the Earth's ozone layer, potentially having devastating consequences for life on Earth. Water molecules in the stratosphere would react with ozone to accelerate decay into O2 and reduce absorption of ultraviolet light.

Pryor on Fire has issued a correction as of 07:10 on Aug 24, 2022

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It's depressing how that old George Carlin "Uncle Dave" monologue that starts with the power going out in Los Angeles during a heatwave degenerating into the explosion of the universe seems way less far-fetched.

https://youtu.be/Y-T0idJdNbU

BIG HEADLINE has issued a correction as of 08:02 on Aug 24, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

hurricane Michael 2

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Vesi posted:

Go up in plane to about 14,000 feet. Or drive up to Pike's Peak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Ah poo poo moved again.