Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

If Stranger Things season 5 isn’t about fighting the Flail Snail I’m boycotting the show. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Comrade Koba posted:

If Stranger Things season 5 isn’t about fighting the Flail Snail I’m boycotting the show. :colbert:
All flumphs, all the time.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

Vecna is (season 4 spoilers) a man with psychic powers like Eleven, who was sealed in the Upside Down after fighting her when she was younger. He's all mutated and can pull people into his psychic realm to kill them for dark ritual purposes, so fine, he can be a reference to the evil undead wizard guy. They at least remember to repeat "he's the final boss of this D&D session" thing again to establish why that particular name might be on their minds.

It's been a couple of months but I believe the reason they call him Vecna is that, having Vecna on their minds after a cool D&D session, Eddie describes his encounter and drops the line "pure evil" (because they're also doing a Halloween thing), and Dustin picks up on this and says something like "like Vecna" because that's his frame of reference for magical pure evil. Then the name just sticks because everyone just sort of goes along with Dustin and they have nothing else to call him.

Leperflesh posted:

Also if they're playing D&D the way I did when I was their age in those years, the DM has maybe seen a line drawing of the bad guy in the monster manual but the players probably haven't and they certainly haven't been reading a shitload of forgotten realms books or something. All they know of these monsters is what the DM has told them, and maybe what's on the cover of a module they saw at the game store, or a miniature they saw somewhere.

It'd be totally reasonable for none of the kids in the latest series to have read jack or poo poo about Vecna, or come across eyes and hands etc. if their DM hadn't had them come across that stuff yet.

In season 1 they characterise the kids as being the kind of people who've read every supplement front to back. They're all, or at least collectively, are very familiar with all their sourcebooks. One scene that stands out when they talk to their science teacher about the Upside Down, and they mention the... shadowlands? Shadow realm? as a point of reference, and their teacher starts quoting the description of the shadowlands, and they, in unison, go "yes, that thing": they're supposed to be huge nerds about this stuff.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Jessus Christ I was making a joke about a pedant wizard go dammit gently caress

BTW I absolutely hated season 3 of Stranger Things ìs 4 worth watching?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Splicer posted:

Did you enjoy the over-the-top Soviet caricatures in S3? If so, you’re in for a real treat!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Comrade Koba posted:

Did you enjoy the over-the-top Soviet caricatures in S3? If so, you’re in for a real treat!
:barf:

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Splicer posted:

Jessus Christ I was making a joke about a pedant wizard go dammit gently caress

All the stuff with the kids, Hawkins, and Vecna is good.

The USSR storyline feels very weirdly bolted-on but it didn't ruin things for me.

Stranger Things 4 is definitely better than 3.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Good news for anyone who wants to play an RPG with its creator:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

^^^^ does that mean there's a newer, "better" version of 3e, or is he talking about the Word .doc he slapped up on DTRPG a few years ago?

ST chat:

Season 4 is like season 3 but with 2-hour long episodes and even worse pacing than that might make you imagine. Also one of the most "DO YOU GET IT!?" final shots at the end of the mid-season finale.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Aug 24, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
*sigh*

I really liked season 2

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

That Old Tree posted:

^^^^ does that mean there's a newer, "better" version of 3e, or is he talking about the Word .doc he slapped up on DTRPG a few years ago?

ST chat:

Season 4 is like season 3 but with 2-hour long episodes and even worse pacing than that might make you imagine. Also one of the most "DO YOU GET IT!?" final shots at the end of the mid-season finale.
There was a recent kickstarter update saying that the game was finally done.

... And to manually email him to get your copy. I haven't bothered.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I can never remember the difference between Synnibarr and SenZar

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Leraika posted:

Synnibarr is actually cool.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
Can I ask a dumb question that is RPG adjacent but not exactly. All this talk about Vecna reminded me that there is a health insurance company and robotics company named Vecna. Supposedly it wasn't deliberate, but I've heard that that they are aware of it. Now what is the rules regarding trademarks that would allow them to use the name in that context that wouldn't get them sued by WoTC? Is it just because the trademark is for entertainment purposes?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

MadScientistWorking posted:

Can I ask a dumb question that is RPG adjacent but not exactly. All this talk about Vecna reminded me that there is a health insurance company and robotics company named Vecna. Supposedly it wasn't deliberate, but I've heard that that they are aware of it. Now what is the rules regarding trademarks that would allow them to use the name in that context that wouldn't get them sued by WoTC? Is it just because the trademark is for entertainment purposes?

All trademarks are for specific domains and only conflict when it would cause confusion of the two. Very few things are large and multi domain enough to claim a universal trademark.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Leraika posted:

SenZar doesn’t take itself seriously.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

NinjaDebugger posted:

All trademarks are for specific domains and only conflict when it would cause confusion of the two. Very few things are large and multi domain enough to claim a universal trademark.
What happens if they make a Vecna(tm) prosthetic hand

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Splicer posted:

What happens if they make a Vecna(tm) prosthetic hand
Depends, can people use it to pleasure themselves?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

atholbrose posted:

Synnibarr is actually cool.

Mors Rattus posted:

SenZar doesn’t take itself seriously.

hmmm

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

NinjaDebugger posted:

Which is why the wrestler Gangrel can still use that name on the independent wrestling scene and sells merch with the name on it. I'm hazy on the details but I seem to think it was a legal fight with WWE/WW and him or something like that and he ended up winning.

:eng101:

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

joylessdivision posted:

Which is why the wrestler Gangrel can still use that name on the independent wrestling scene and sells merch with the name on it. I'm hazy on the details but I seem to think it was a legal fight with WWE/WW and him or something like that and he ended up winning.

I think it was with him and not WWE, there was a point after he was fired and before he regularly was using Gangrel where he was just VAMPIRE WARRIOR.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

joylessdivision posted:

Oooo no its even more crazy than that. CCP, the then current owner of WoD, sued the WWE/WWF for trademark violation. I completely forgot that this had even happened until you mentioned it.
EDIT:
Maybe there's more than one lawsuit over this issue which I find really hilarious.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The text of SenZar is informal, silly and juvenile, with the basic assumption being that it is all about killing and looting. It is horribly imbalanced but at no point does it expect you to treat it like a serious thing.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Looking through things, WWE (then WWF) licensed the Gangrel trademark for 5 years in 1998 for the wrestler. By 2003 they had released him and didn't renew the license. Then they brought him back in a time or two in 2007 during an anniversary show, called him Gangrel, and whoever owned V:tM then sued WWE.

The judge in the lawsuit apparently decided since it was a separate enough business that the wrestler himself, David Heath, should have the rights to the name. Eventually WWE no longer cared about the name and Heath trademarked it himself a few years back for wrestling and things like health supplements.

Paradox owns the trademark now in the US for usage in RPGs, and jewelry.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I feel like "Vampiro Guerrero" sounds cool in a way that Vampire Warrior definitely doesn't.

Another odd bit is that the most direct inspiration for his vampire gimmick was from Lost Boys.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Vincent Baker launched a KS today for a Zine Quest game called The Thief and The Necromancer.

What's notable is the addition of two tiers for "PbTA creator" and "PbTA publisher". Essentially, he's asking users and publishers of PbTA games to voluntarily pay effectively a flat back royalty, presumably because he's in financial trouble.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

hyphz posted:

Vincent Baker launched a KS today for a Zine Quest game called The Thief and The Necromancer.

What's notable is the addition of two tiers for "PbTA creator" and "PbTA publisher". Essentially, he's asking users and publishers of PbTA games to voluntarily pay effectively a flat back royalty, presumably because he's in financial trouble.

They also have a reduced tier that is simply cheaper without any downside compared to the regular one, so maybe it’s not that dire?

Also, a creator isn’t a user, but somebody who…created something based on PbtA.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Halloween Jack posted:

I feel like "Vampiro Guerrero" sounds cool in a way that Vampire Warrior definitely doesn't.

Another odd bit is that the most direct inspiration for his vampire gimmick was from Lost Boys.

Vampiro is a different wrestler.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

bewilderment posted:

Good news for anyone who wants to play an RPG with its creator:

I'm really hoping this means he's aware of what went wrong with 3e. That account recently followed us on twitter and basically did the standard "Thanks for doing reviews" pr stuff, even though our review of 3e was basically "This is pathetic and sad, it would have been better to do nothing than to tarnish the good-bad weirdness of 2e with this." But we genuinely thought 2e was a wild, silly read from a singular vision (formed from just a ton of reading 80s X-Men, it seems), so we're still hopeful Synnibarr can turn around.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
A short thread about making a living in the industry: https://twitter.com/drgonzo123/status/1562430052926492672?t=M_RDHQPRh-L9WxixbF3v_g&s=19

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I mean he's not wrong that you shouldn't have too big of a team and it is in fact possible to make a living. It's also very difficult to do so and it doesn't help that thread is full of gifs punctuating each point because it's already kind of "established industry figure doles out platitude advice without really giving deep advice" and it does not make me appreciate his advice more.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Those were much of my thoughts, too. He understated just how difficult it still is to make a living doing this kind of thing.

Like, yeah, it is possible. Potentially even feasible. But still phenomenally difficult even if you do everything "right". Which makes it like most other business starts, I suppose.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Saucer Crab posted:

Looking through things, WWE (then WWF) licensed the Gangrel trademark for 5 years in 1998 for the wrestler. By 2003 they had released him and didn't renew the license. Then they brought him back in a time or two in 2007 during an anniversary show, called him Gangrel, and whoever owned V:tM then sued WWE.

The judge in the lawsuit apparently decided since it was a separate enough business that the wrestler himself, David Heath, should have the rights to the name. Eventually WWE no longer cared about the name and Heath trademarked it himself a few years back for wrestling and things like health supplements.

Paradox owns the trademark now in the US for usage in RPGs, and jewelry.

Thank you, like I said I was hazy on details but I follow Heath on Instagram so I remember seeing him posting stuff about it and then having a chuckle when I saw he gets to be "Gangrel" again.

As far as I know he's been doing the "Vampire Warrior" gimmick forever, even before WWF picked him up in the 90's and rebranded him Gangrel.

Mors Rattus posted:

:hmmyes: Vampiro is (or was) booking AAA I think in Mexico. Or CMLL? One of the big Lucha companies.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

Zereth posted:

There was a recent kickstarter update saying that the game was finally done.

... And to manually email him to get your copy. I haven't bothered.

The new Synnibar actually has been live for a while on DTRPG before he sent that kickstarter message out saying to email him for a copy. I backed it on a lark, what, 6 years ago? and had no idea it was even finished. Probably just as expected when I emailed I got a reply back from Raven saying he didn't have any of my pledge information. I didn't bother either because all I backed was the pdf only tier.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mors Rattus posted:

He's Vampiro Guerrero in Puerto Rico and Vampire Warrior everywhere else. David Heath can be distinguished from Vampiro by his girth, lack of facepaint, and actual wrestling ability.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

hyphz posted:

His wife just did a thread about the financial cost of COVID and how they're lucky to be in a situation where they can manage it, so... I think they're fine. For all we know it was something that people asked for.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

hyphz posted:

What's notable is the addition of two tiers for "PbTA creator" and "PbTA publisher". Essentially, he's asking users and publishers of PbTA games to voluntarily pay effectively a flat back royalty

uhhhh lmao

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
it's a totally voluntary thing, as outlined under there just, 'hey, if you've iterated on my work, i'd appreciate it if you can, if not no worries tho'

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

admanb posted:

His wife just did a thread about the financial cost of COVID and how they're lucky to be in a situation where they can manage it, so... I think they're fine. For all we know it was something that people asked for.

Honestly I didn't get "fine" out of that thread - I got "things are not great, but I am Meguey Baker and I am a beacon of perpetual optimism who has lived through Very Bad Times, this too shall pass." Meg is... Unstoppable, frankly. I've never met anyone quite like her, and I strongly suspect that if we ever saw her publicly despairing on her own behalf rather than others, it would be in the absolute extremity of need. They're not well-off at the best of times, so hopefully things recover quickly, whatever state they're in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

He's Vampiro Guerrero in Puerto Rico and Vampire Warrior everywhere else. David Heath can be distinguished from Vampiro by his girth, lack of facepaint, and actual wrestling ability.

Hey now, Vampiro learned to wrestle...he's just not great. He's absolutely a dude who managed to coast on his gimmick over his in ring skill but that's like 80% of professional wrestlers in history.