Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

For an open office setting or anything with any kind of background noise also worth a look at a DECT headset, the poly ones are great and work a-ok with a Mac. It's a lot more reliable than bluetooth in my experience.

https://www.poly.com/us/en/products/headsets/wireless-dect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

god this blows posted:

I’m glad to hear that the AirPods are a good choice for things like Zoom and other meetings. My pc headset was a single ear one and I liked it as I could still hear my dogs get into things. I’ll take a look at the different options.

Pretty much my whole office wears AirPods Pro for conference calls.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

it's convenient but the mic quality's pretty mediocre

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
worth it to not have a mic attached imo. and mediocre is relative, they’re fine for speech but i wouldn’t sing with them?

Bad Purchase posted:

when someone says "headset", i usually assume they don't mean portable earbuds like airpods or beats fit pro or whatever. i assume they mean more like a full set of on/over the ear headphones with a mic.

because that’s all there used to be for the most part. it’s only fairly recently that bluetooth anything audio has been too worthwhile.

anyway op should go with what’s best for them ofc. i just loving hate cables and even aside from that earbuds or other wireless options are just nice to be able to move around with while you use them.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

god this blows posted:

I’m glad to hear that the AirPods are a good choice for things like Zoom and other meetings. My pc headset was a single ear one and I liked it as I could still hear my dogs get into things. I’ll take a look at the different options.

I mean, pretty much any regular headset will work too

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I think if you’re specifically going to be using a laptop then you also want to be wireless as much as possible.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Since there is going to be an iPhone event soon, I would suggest holding until then before purchasing any airpods. I wouldn't be surprised if they launched a new model.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

Since there is going to be an iPhone event soon, I would suggest holding until then before purchasing any airpods. I wouldn't be surprised if they launched a new model.

also agree

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Hmm, this seems like a less than optimal battery health for the number of charge cycles being reported by macos.

Shame its outside of warranty because this sucker's definitely dropping below 80% before 1000 cycles.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Hmm, this seems like a less than optimal battery health for the number of charge cycles being reported by macos.

Shame its outside of warranty because this sucker's definitely dropping below 80% before 1000 cycles.

at minimum it’s worth either taking it to an apple store or at least talking with tech support online imo. they say no they say no but if you’re nice and persuasive they might also cover it

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

god this blows posted:

So I start a new job with a new company next week and I’ll be getting a 16” M1 MacBook Pro. I’ve always used a windows pc so I know there will be some getting used to. What would be the best headset to get? Any other pointers to keep in mind. Several years ago I did do a hackintosh and it was fairly easy to use and my wife had been using a Mac for years at her job.

If mic quality matters to you, get something wired. Generally, the cheapest wired headset has better recording quality than any wireless headset.

Also, get the most comfortable headset for you. Make sure wherever you buy from has a generous return policy because a lot of headset qualities are very subjective. If something doesn't immediately grab you when you wear it or listen to it, return it for something else.

If you need to hear stuff going on around you, get something that is "open back".

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Kibner posted:

If mic quality matters to you, get something wired. Generally, the cheapest wired headset has better recording quality than any wireless headset.

this is only true at certain price points imo

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

mediaphage posted:

this is only true at certain price points imo

I mean, there are $30 earbuds that make subjectively better voice recordings than the Airpods Max.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUOQzZ3mo2g&t=555s

E: the prices in that video are in Aussie dollars

Kibner fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 22, 2022

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

I have a pair of original AirPods that I can use when I first start so I am not in a rush and they're supposed to give me a wired headset. The problem is I had the Mac or PC option when starting and I picked Mac but no clue if IT actually looks at what you're getting before sending the equipment.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

god this blows posted:

I have a pair of original AirPods that I can use when I first start so I am not in a rush and they're supposed to give me a wired headset. The problem is I had the Mac or PC option when starting and I picked Mac but no clue if IT actually looks at what you're getting before sending the equipment.

i think you'll like your setup tbqh

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

How old is the battery? Cycles are a factor, but age also matters.

285 cycles over 3 years is absolutely expect the battery to be at 85%.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

god this blows posted:

it shouldn’t matter. The broader point behind my initial comment about wired headsets is that for 99.99% of peripherals and whatnot (hard drives, keyboards, mice, displays, controllers, etc) there should be virtually zero difference in usability vs plugging them into a PC, even if you end up having to use adapters or dongles.

And most of the time that something third-party is badged as “for Mac” it’s literally the same product as its “for PC” counterpart, often with a 10-20% upcharge, and the PC “version” will work just fine with your computer. External hard drives used to be notorious for this.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!
the mac versions of peripherals aren't always identical to the pc versions, sometimes they use white or silver plastic instead of black

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bad Purchase posted:

the mac versions of peripherals aren't always identical to the pc versions, sometimes they use white or silver plastic instead of black

:hmmyes:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

god this blows posted:

As long as the provided headset is TRRS rather than usb you should be ok, most USB pc headset are usb-a so it would be a mess of adapters to make use of it.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

As a PC user who got a Mac for a work recently here's my kit:

- Microsoft Bluetooth mouse. I already had it. It's fine. Could be better. This is forcing me to learn shortcuts faster tho

- Sony Linkbuds S. ANC is not perfect for all things but perfect for the office. Sound quality totally fine. Voice is hit or miss.

- Logitech K380. I use this more than my Cherry brown Leopold. I like the Mac buttons and the short throw. Im interested in a low profile mechanical, but this is like 1/3 the price so it'll do for a while.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If I need to use a mic from my Mac I just bust out my old Earpods, the mic on those is better than my Airpods Pro mic.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Ok Comboomer posted:

And most of the time that something third-party is badged as “for Mac” it’s literally the same product as its “for PC” counterpart, often with a 10-20% upcharge, and the PC “version” will work just fine with your computer. External hard drives used to be notorious for this.

Logitech also, although lately they've at least been heavily pushing their multi-device peripherals, which almost always have both the Windows and Mac keys labeled (although by default the CMD and OPT keys are usually flipped), so it's just the single fixed cost of the device and not a PC/Mac split.

But yeah, I'll happily pay a bunch for most Apple hardware, but when it comes to a mouse, I'll take the $20 Costco version of the M720 Triathlon since it feels great, can be set to three different devices, and takes a fair beating due to my kids. And since it's $20, once the kids finally do it in, I'll go to Costco and get another :getin:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i maintain the cordless mic is fine for zoom and poo poo but if you work mostly at a desk id get a desk mic rather than go corded headset

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

God loving drat it — have been enjoying my M2 air for a few days, and it turns out it's got the same recurring issue as my old laptop where every so often the trackpad will stop responding to two-finger swipes and zooms properly until I toggle "scrolling with inertia" off and on in Accessibility. I really hoped this was some weird glitch in my profile, but other than signing into iCloud I haven't transferred any settings across from the old machine.

Just another random macOS bug that will never get fixed :sigh:

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

TACD posted:

God loving drat it — have been enjoying my M2 air for a few days, and it turns out it's got the same recurring issue as my old laptop where every so often the trackpad will stop responding to two-finger swipes and zooms properly until I toggle "scrolling with inertia" off and on in Accessibility. I really hoped this was some weird glitch in my profile, but other than signing into iCloud I haven't transferred any settings across from the old machine.

Just another random macOS bug that will never get fixed :sigh:

Probably a borked plist.

Try deleting these files and rebooting. This will nuke all mouse/trackpad settings.

In /Library/Preferences + in Users/USERNAME/Library/Preferences

code:
com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.trackpad.plist (Magic Trackpad)
com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.mouse.plist (Magic Mouse)
com.apple.driver.AppleHIDMouse.plist (wired USB mouse)
com.apple.AppleMultitouchTrackpad.plist
com.apple.preference.trackpad.plist 

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SourKraut posted:

Logitech also, although lately they've at least been heavily pushing their multi-device peripherals, which almost always have both the Windows and Mac keys labeled (although by default the CMD and OPT keys are usually flipped), so it's just the single fixed cost of the device and not a PC/Mac split.

But yeah, I'll happily pay a bunch for most Apple hardware, but when it comes to a mouse, I'll take the $20 Costco version of the M720 Triathlon since it feels great, can be set to three different devices, and takes a fair beating due to my kids. And since it's $20, once the kids finally do it in, I'll go to Costco and get another :getin:

I have one of those and it’s great. It doesn’t have the materials quality of the flagship mice, but it basically has all of the functionality

All about those multi-device peripherals tho. gently caress dealing with/paying for KVM solutions (unless they’re, like, built into your display like they are on some of the new Dell UltraSharp monitors) when you can just pair your keyboard straight to three devices and immediately switch with a button press

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 23, 2022

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Probably a borked plist.

Try deleting these files and rebooting. This will nuke all mouse/trackpad settings.

In /Library/Preferences + in Users/USERNAME/Library/Preferences

code:
com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.trackpad.plist (Magic Trackpad)
com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.mouse.plist (Magic Mouse)
com.apple.driver.AppleHIDMouse.plist (wired USB mouse)
com.apple.AppleMultitouchTrackpad.plist
com.apple.preference.trackpad.plist 
Thanks, I'll give that a go — would these have been synced to the new machine over iCloud?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

If I need to use a mic from my Mac I just bust out my old Earpods, the mic on those is better than my Airpods Pro mic.

I’ve seen enough interviews on tv to attest that this is the case. It’s kinda surprising how good it can sound for such a cheap set.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

wonder if the mic is the same but the old airpods just had it closer to your mouth lol

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

mediaphage posted:

wonder if the mic is the same but the old airpods just had it closer to your mouth lol

i believe they're talking about the wired earpods. i still have a couple pairs with the 3.5mm plugin and they do indeed sound real good.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

wireless ear/headphones are great because of their untethered nature but i think people have forgotten just how much better wired ones sound

it's weird to think how much of a regression this has been

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Last Chance posted:

i believe they're talking about the wired earpods. i still have a couple pairs with the 3.5mm plugin and they do indeed sound real good.

oh poo poo, yeah.

wireless in and of itself isn't the issue, imo. i mean yeah bluetooth is iffy, but whatever. i've used (big lolgamer) wireless headsets before and while again, i wouldn't have used it for anything but voice, it was totally fine. i think a nontrivial issue with the airpods is just how far away they are and how much work apple has to do to isolate that sound and filter out everything else. still not worth wearing a cord for me since i'm a klutz and catch it on poo poo constantly

these days i still use my lightning earpods in bed, but i don't have to talk on the phone then lol

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

shrike82 posted:

wireless ear/headphones are great because of their untethered nature but i think people have forgotten just how much better wired ones sound

the market usually tells you what it wants as far as i've observed. it's almost definitely true that the average headphones user cares less about pristine sound quality over quality of life benefits like not dealing with wires.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

quote is not edit

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

TACD posted:

Thanks, I'll give that a go — would these have been synced to the new machine over iCloud?

Could have been. It’s not common but I’d but unsurprised. A lot more settings come over iCloud than they used too.

It could also be some setting, app, or shortcut you enabled during your setup conflicting. I don’t exactly understand what the issue is and it’s hard for me to conceptualize exactly.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i tried out remote play to my PS5 on my m1 macbook air since i got it working very well on my steam deck

interestingly, the off-the-shelf mac downloadable for chiaki, the open source remote play app, is mac intel only and i noticed a higher than expected amount of visual artifacting given both the mac and the PS5 are hooked up by ethernet. i manually built it against apple silicon and it seems to have resolved that.

random i guess but interesting that rosetta/intel isn't perfect even for what's essentially a video streaming app

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

shrike82 posted:

i tried out remote play to my PS5 on my m1 macbook air since i got it working very well on my steam deck

interestingly, the off-the-shelf mac downloadable for chiaki, the open source remote play app, is mac intel only and i noticed a higher than expected amount of visual artifacting given both the mac and the PS5 are hooked up by ethernet. i manually built it against apple silicon and it seems to have resolved that.

random i guess but interesting that rosetta/intel isn't perfect even for what's essentially a video streaming app

I think rosetta doesn't have access to the full gamut of the M1 chip video encode/decode ISP so maybe it's doing the decode via software?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

SlowBloke posted:

I think rosetta doesn't have access to the full gamut of the M1 chip video encode/decode ISP so maybe it's doing the decode via software?

If it was doing software, I think there wouldn't be any glitches, but far greater power consumption. It is likely trying to leverage the M1 hardware acceleration but not quite mapping things correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

shrike82 posted:

There was a time when you could whisper through a good phone connection, and everything was crisp.

Wired phones were, with the right telco, GOOD.