Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Nonexistence posted:

Spin for any AT is one of the best AoEs in the game imo

yeah I don't know why I've never gotten around to really looking at Claws but I definitely will (probably another on tank). Was Spin always so blatant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I don't play Stalkers normally but Staff is really fun on them.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Flesh Forge posted:

yeah I don't know why I've never gotten around to really looking at Claws but I definitely will (probably another on tank). Was Spin always so blatant?

iirc Claws has a flat end discount and recharge boost applied to it in lieu of any sort of secondary effect. There’s also something about the way the set was proliferated that corrected the math on Brutes/Tanks/Stalkers but left the Scrapper version as-is for all this time. Something about double dipping on how they calculated its damage, maybe? I don’t remember the exact details

e: on a quick glance it's not damage, just how they applied that recharge/end boost. Tanks/Brutes get a slightly worse version in that regard, and Stalkers only got screwed by leaving out Spin.

e2: but Tanks and Brutes had the damage raised to match the higher recharge values?? This set's wild

Abroham Lincoln fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 12, 2022

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Staff synergizes really well with Tankers since its entire thing is being a big AoE, defensive leaning set - two things that tankers love to be already.

The bad ST still sucks but hey tankers were already generally not your go-to choice for stuff like AV soloing in the first place. It's a considerably more painful fault on Scrappers and Brutes, and Stalkers just have Staff Mastery swapped out for Assassin's Staff to fix that ST deficit - plus they get the best mode of Staff Mastery for free baked-in.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I finally decided to try this "vanilla" that the kids these days are so hyped up about, figuring that with the psi hole getting slightly diminished in the upcoming patch now was as good a time as any to bust out the invuln/SS tanker.

"Professor Fist" is still available on Excelsior, by the way. I preemptively came up with a bullshit name collision avoider and liked it so much that I went ahead and used it anyway.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

Pink with blue veins, you say?

I can't believe I forgot about this guy.

shoulda gone with the brain jar head

a brain piloting a brain meat mech

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Goast posted:

shoulda gone with the brain jar head

a brain piloting a brain meat mech

My brother in Christ, it's a dick joke.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
ugh, now that I'm getting characters near 50 I've downloaded mids and am starting to mess around with sets. What sets should I be looking at for a shield/street fighting tanker? Do "chance to X" enhancments trigger on auto powers? What are the cut off numbers I should be looking at in the totals tab?

I'm not even gonna touch incarnate stuff until I get this figured out.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Might as well unlock Incarnate stuff while you play. There's no downside.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Soonmot posted:

ugh, now that I'm getting characters near 50 I've downloaded mids and am starting to mess around with sets. What sets should I be looking at for a shield/street fighting tanker? Do "chance to X" enhancments trigger on auto powers? What are the cut off numbers I should be looking at in the totals tab?

I'm not even gonna touch incarnate stuff until I get this figured out.

as a shield tanker you really want to get your smash/lethal resist to its cap (90%) and your maximum life and positional defenses (melee, ranged and AOE) as high as you can reasonably get them. 45% is the soft cap for +0 enemies but this is offset by (I think) 5% per level if the NPC is higher level than you - this will vary based on certain powers being more accurate and there's a lot of gray area poo poo I don't have flawlessly memorized but basically you want your defense numbers as high as you can reasonably get them.

This is what I did with a shield/mace character, note that I stopped with smash/lethal resist at 83% because one of the tanker AT IO sets has a very reliable resist bonus that can be counted on to be up after you hit something with what it's slotted on - usually I put it on the damage toggle but Shield doesn't have one. This is by no means a super optimized build (no epic set is a major downside) but it's on the cheap side and very straightforward.

quote:

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.2.17
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Basha: Level 50 Natural Tanker
Primary Power Set: Shield Defense
Secondary Power Set: War Mace
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Medicine

Hero Profile:
------------
Level 1: Deflection
(A) Shield Wall - +Res (Teleportation), +5% Res (All)
(3) Shield Wall - Defense
(3) Shield Wall - Defense/Endurance
(5) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance
(5) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance
(7) Unbreakable Guard - RechargeTime/Resistance

Level 1: Bash
(A) Touch of Death - Accuracy/Damage

Level 2: Battle Agility
(A) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed
(7) Luck of the Gambler - Defense
(9) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance
(9) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Recharge
(11) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance/Recharge

Level 4: True Grit
(A) Unbreakable Guard - +Max HP
(13) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance
(15) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance
(15) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime
(17) Preventive Medicine - Heal
(17) Preventive Medicine - Chance for +Absorb

Level 6: Active Defense
(A) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 8: Jawbreaker
(A) Mako's Bite - Accuracy/Damage
(19) Mako's Bite - Damage/Endurance
(19) Mako's Bite - Damage/Recharge
(21) Mako's Bite - Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge
(21) Mako's Bite - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
(23) Mako's Bite - Chance of Damage(Lethal)

Level 10: Against All Odds
(A) Endurance Reduction IO

Level 12: Taunt
(A) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 14: Phalanx Fighting
(23) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance
(25) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Recharge
(25) Luck of the Gambler - Defense

Level 16: Combat Jumping

Level 18: Maneuvers
(27) Reactive Defenses - Defense
(27) Reactive Defenses - Defense/Endurance
(29) Reactive Defenses - Defense/RechargeTime

Level 20: Whirling Mace
(A) Superior Might of the Tanker - Accuracy/Damage
(29) Superior Might of the Tanker - Damage/Recharge
(31) Superior Might of the Tanker - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
(31) Superior Might of the Tanker - Damage/Endurance/Recharge
(31) Superior Might of the Tanker - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
(33) Superior Might of the Tanker - Recharge/Chance for +Res(All)

Level 22: Grant Cover
(33) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance
(33) Luck of the Gambler - Defense
(34) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Recharge

Level 24: Kick
(A) Empty

Level 26: Tough
(A) Gladiator's Armor - TP Protection +3% Def (All)
(34) Steadfast Protection - Resistance/+Def 3%

Level 28: Clobber
(A) Hecatomb - Damage
(34) Hecatomb - Damage/Recharge
(36) Hecatomb - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
(36) Hecatomb - Accuracy/Recharge
(36) Hecatomb - Damage/Endurance
(46) Hecatomb - Chance of Damage(Negative)

Level 30: Shield Charge
(A) Superior Gauntleted Fist - Accuracy/Damage
(37) Superior Gauntleted Fist - Damage/RechargeTime
(37) Superior Gauntleted Fist - Accuracy/Damage/RechargeTime
(37) Superior Gauntleted Fist - Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime
(39) Superior Gauntleted Fist - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime
(39) Superior Gauntleted Fist - RechargeTime/+Absorb

Level 32: Weave
(A) Reactive Defenses - Defense
(39) Reactive Defenses - Defense/Endurance
(40) Reactive Defenses - Defense/RechargeTime
(46) Reactive Defenses - Scaling Resist Damage

Level 35: Shatter
(A) Obliteration - Damage
(40) Obliteration - Accuracy/Recharge
(40) Obliteration - Damage/Recharge
(42) Obliteration - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
(42) Obliteration - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
(42) Obliteration - Chance for Smashing Damage

Level 38: Crowd Control
(A) Obliteration - Damage
(43) Obliteration - Accuracy/Recharge
(43) Obliteration - Damage/Recharge
(43) Obliteration - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
(45) Obliteration - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
(45) Obliteration - Chance for Smashing Damage

Level 41: One with the Shield
(A) Preventive Medicine - Heal
(45) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime
(46) Preventive Medicine - Heal/Endurance

Level 44: Injection
(A) Accuracy IO

Level 47: Aid Self
(A) Numina's Convalesence - Heal/Endurance
(48) Numina's Convalesence - Endurance/Recharge
(48) Numina's Convalesence - Heal/Recharge
(48) Numina's Convalesence - Heal
(50) Numina's Convalesence - +Regeneration/+Recovery
(50) Interrupt Reduction IO

Level 49: Build Up
(A) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - Chance for Build Up
(50) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - To Hit Buff/Recharge

Level 2: Health
(A) Panacea - +Hit Points/Endurance

Level 2: Stamina
(A) Performance Shifter - Chance for +End
(11) Efficacy Adaptor - EndMod
(13) Efficacy Adaptor - EndMod/Recharge

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
wow how is your endurance use with all those toggles?

edit: gonna have to start low bidding some lotg's it looks like, thank you for this!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

it isn't great, which is why I have stamina slotted/Performance Shifter proc piece slotted, something I really don't like to do especially for tanks. Post 50 you will probably want to take the Destiny incarnate power Ageless, which fixes all your endurance problems forever (except for content that exemps you down below 45).
e: you may want to slot a resistance set like Unbreakable Guard in One with the Shield to make it better at resistance, I went with more max life (probably a mistake). One with the Shield is one of the good Tier 9s that doesn't leave you completely hosed when it ends.

it's kind of a problem with Shield that every single power is super good and you don't really want to skip any of them.
ps: GET YOUR ACCOLADES, they matter tremendously for tanks/brutes more than any other AT.

ps: those numbers have no incarnate values included, so are independent of what you may choose - you resists will be somewhat (5%ish) better with something like Alpha/Resilient or Cardiac

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 17, 2022

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Here's some info on the accolades, if needed:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/36066-how-many-health-buffs-can-one-get/

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Flesh Forge posted:

45% is the soft cap for +0 enemies but this is offset by (I think) 5% per level if the NPC is higher level than you

Just a quick correction here - enemy chance to hit you is not affected by them being higher level than you (until they are +6 or higher, but you shouldn't ever be fighting anything that far above you). Only players get a bonus chance to hit for being higher level than their target. They do get an accuracy bonus for being higher level than you, but raising your defense doesn't do anything to counter that since accuracy bonuses are calculated after the tohit - defense is clamped between 5% and 95%. So 45% is the softcap for everything, but as you mention there are enemies that do have buffs that give them extra +tohit which will bump that up (this is especially common in incarnate content).

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

thanks for catching that

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Inzombiac posted:

My brother in Christ, it's a dick joke.

a dick should not be that color :ohdear:

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
It's time for my every-3-years-or-so dalliance with this dinosaur.

Since I keep losing interest before I can really re-make any of my old characters, I tried re-making something else.

It's not done yet, but I tested it a bit and my old "what if I filled a map with friendly Electric Melee/Kinetics Elite Bosses" story arc is shaping up to be just as dumb as it was ... longer ago than I care to think about.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Dangit, they didn't fix one particular long-standing issue with Stone Armor: Crystal Armor's fuckin' tinnitus experience endless sound effect.

Also I feel like they did something to Shadow Maul that's made it feel weird. Like the animation lingers slightly too long or the sound effect is off or something. Doesn't help that I've been getting connection spikes probably thanks to my slowly dying modem, but that's not the root cause.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah the sound FX for the stone armor set are unpleasantly loud. the constant rumble for the seismic blast set is pretty loud too tbh.
I skipped shadow maul, once you are slotted you will have Touch of Fear up every 2.5 seconds or so and you can spend the intervening time better with one or more of the epic set flick-animation 16 target AOEs.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Geekboy posted:

It's not done yet, but I tested it a bit and my old "what if I filled a map with friendly Electric Melee/Kinetics Elite Bosses" story arc is shaping up to be just as dumb as it was ... longer ago than I care to think about.

Speeding Through Time? I still remember reviewing that.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Gynovore posted:

Speeding Through Time? I still remember reviewing that.

Yup. I seem to have lost my screenshots of it at some point (or maybe not - but I don’t know where to find them), so I’m just rebuilding it from the ground up.

I’m sure I’ll lose interest in the game again soon because I played it too much when it was still on the “real” servers, but it’s nice to get that running since it’s one of my favorite things I did in CoX.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

New update is up and there's some new fun things like stowing weapons and now under power customization you can choose which type of walk and run your character uses, which all seem pretty nice.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

well, and the new powersets (symphony control, sonic assault)
and tons of other poo poo

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/37186-patch-notes-for-august-23rd-2022-issue-27-page-4/

e: they're doing the name release thing
e: "phase 1" is flagging all under 50 that have not logged in in 1 year, all under 6 that have not logged in in the past 30 days; none are going to actually be renamed until they move to next phase

quote:

Name Release - Phase 1: Warning Mode [Focused Feedback: Name Release Policy - Phase 1: Warning Mode]

The name release policy as (linked) described some time ago has been implemented and will begin to phase in starting with Page 4.
Level 1-5 characters will be flagged as inactive if they have not been played in the last 30 days.
Level 6-49 characters will be flagged as inactive if they have not been played in the last 365 days.
Level 50 characters will never be flagged as inactive.

You can remove the inactive flag on a character at any time simply by logging them in.
As it has been some time since the policy was first announced, in order to ensure that players have sufficient time to act on protecting names they actively intend to use, the system will go live in Page 4 in Warning Mode Only.
This inactivity flag will be displayed in the character list to identify which characters have names that would be at risk, but while the system is in warning mode, no characters will be renamed, and no names can be lost.
The character list displays a yellow "pre-warning" icon to give advance notice before the inactivity period expires. Level 1-5 characters start warning 7 days prior, while level 6-49 characters start warning 30 days prior.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 23, 2022

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

It's a really noticeable UI element and yeah, if you're above level 6 you have a whole year to log in just once to remove the warning. It's more than generous and right now it's just the warning so-- plenty of time even if you have characters that haven't logged into for five years.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

really remarkable they're adding "instant level 50" characters that are locked to pvp zones only, that's very smart. kind of like scavs in escape from tarkov.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Yeah it'd be nice if this opens the door to revitalizing pvp. The community is small and sweaty now with little hope for new people to become interested since it's basically a whole other game within the game with poor balance and no rewards tied to doing it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

God those patch notes are extremely good.
I've avoided weapon power sets because I wanted sheathing and wow!

Plus now tailors and surgeons are the same. No more having to hop around!

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
Good lord some people must have billions of inf sitting around. I got two of those new Aether Particle things from running a I-Trial and pawned them on the market for 300 million.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, I hopped into bloody rainbow to get a quick influence chunk to make a new character and my spines/flame brute was IMMEDITALY dropped. And that was with me consuming all the inspirations in my tray. Has the test server come on a new farming strategy?

edit: +0/8 is fine, gonna bump next round

+1 is fine but I really notice health dropping

+2 i need constant inspirations if I'm fighitng more thana single group at a time

+3 was fine if I made sure to engage 1 group at a time, gonna try +4 again, but not jump into the middle of the map

+4 is totally doable as long as you engage 1 group at a time and are prepared for adds. Just can't jump in the middle and aggro a billion mobs at once.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Aug 24, 2022

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, I think this is down to the new aggro changes. AGGRO_CAP dudes will still rush you but them as don't will pelt you from afar instead of standing around like background ninja.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I'm thinking of rolling a Dominator using the new Symphony control set, but I can't decide what to pair it with. I'm leaning towards either Martial or Psi. I know Psi is a solid choice, but is Martial any good? And has anyone else tried Symphony yet?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

mental is suuuuuuuuuper good just due to drain psyche, but it's pretty good all around. have you considered the new sonic assault set made just for this?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Martial is fun because of shurikens. The chain shuriken does imo nerf worthy damage but flies under the radar. That + exploding shuriken is some of the best ranged AoE a dominator can ask for, and you have a fast snipe for single target.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Ran a symph/sonic through dfb/posi1/posi2 (the posi 2 was 6 symph doms) and it seems like a realy solid set witha variety of control options. Beathoven's Fist is going into the character rotation.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Soonmot posted:

+4 is totally doable as long as you engage 1 group at a time and are prepared for adds. Just can't jump in the middle and aggro a billion mobs at once.

You can still afk farm if your regen is high enough. I tested it on the cave edition last night.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Brave New World posted:

I'm thinking of rolling a Dominator using the new Symphony control set, but I can't decide what to pair it with. I'm leaning towards either Martial or Psi. I know Psi is a solid choice, but is Martial any good? And has anyone else tried Symphony yet?

Martial has some good gimmicks but honestly I dropped it once after getting it really high. The damage wasn’t quite there for me and I realized Exploding Shuriken isn’t actually a true AOE, it just applies a small dot in the explosion.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

mental is suuuuuuuuuper good just due to drain psyche, but it's pretty good all around. have you considered the new sonic assault set made just for this?

I rolled a Sonic/Sonic Corr back on live that I deleted mid 20s because the sound effects were so annoying. No amount of -Res can make up for that , IMO.

Old_Screwtape
Nov 18, 2014

Brave New World posted:

I tried Symphony in Beta and it works super well. The cone controls really beg to be slotted for damage rather than control, imo. Minor quirk to know: the superior damage of the stun suppresses if the mob is asleep.

For a Dom., mental would work pretty well. Drain Psyche is great and the cone comes early enough in the set to fit into the control's cone rotation. The only problem you might run into is the mobs that resist psi will make you feel like a wet noodle since Symphony is Psi too. I can't comment on martial since I've yet to play it. For something else, I tried Symphony out with Fire and it was a blast but I was also burning through endurance.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

just ran a sister psyche TF for the old-school badge and had a guy quit in a huff before the last mission because it wasn't merit-efficient, somehow galaxy braining himself into believing that quitting without any merits at all after doing 90% of the TF was better than sticking it out

not sure how you sign up for sister psyche, having run it before (which he clearly had), without realizing it's gonna be slow but lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

really baffling when those types don't make that clear up front rather than near the end :confused: