Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

aphid_licker posted:

Some dude calling the person they hate a pedo to justify their murder to the world and presumably themselves means very little wrt their actually being a pedo. Like they might be one or dude might just be hyping himself up to do the murder.

If the pedo affiliated invaders weren't there in the first place, they wouldn't get murdered for their pedo affiliated countrymen's actions.

When every occupier is an enemy, each wear the same target. What one does, all of them have done, especially in the eyes of the occupied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Eh I can understand that it's distasteful, but it's not like teenage girls weren't doing it to Nazi's, in I want to say the Netherlands or Denmark. They'd lure Nazi's from bars and then take them to the woods, where they'd get whacked and buried.

That was in the Netherlands.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SerthVarnee posted:

That was in the Netherlands.

Thanks! I remember listening to the Lions Led by Donkeys podcast about the two sisters, but for the life of me I couldn't remember the country.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

aphid_licker posted:

Some dude calling the person they hate a pedo to justify their murder to the world and presumably themselves means very little wrt their actually being a pedo. Like they might be one or dude might just be hyping himself up to do the murder.

Yeah those Russians who filmed themselves cutting that guy's balls off before shooting him a few weeks ago claimed they did so because he raped a 5 year old or something along those lines. Maybe they were telling the truth, probably not, but either way it's absurdly hosed.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

my kinda ape posted:

Yeah those Russians who filmed themselves cutting that guy's balls off before shooting him a few weeks ago claimed they did so because he raped a 5 year old or something along those lines. Maybe they were telling the truth, probably not, but either way it's absurdly hosed.

The Russian's (and Wagner) were reported to be doing similar things in 2014, and I'm sure they've done the same poo poo in Syria (not looking it up, but I'd be shocked if there are no reports of that behavior).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Marshal Prolapse posted:

The Russian's (and Wagner) were reported to be doing similar things in 2014, and I'm sure they've done the same poo poo in Syria (not looking it up, but I'd be shocked if there are no reports of that behavior).

Yup, they did. In fact torture and murder was practically the name of the game and they've already been photographed posing in Ukraine making threats about doing the same sort of gimmicks they did in Syria.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
We now have fresh photos of Russian warships, courtesy of... *checks notes*... the Italian Navy?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Cythereal posted:

We now have fresh photos of Russian warships, courtesy of... *checks notes*... the Italian Navy?

The photos are the Sub equivalent of T-bagging. :awesome:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Cythereal posted:

Repubblica article is behind a paywall sadly.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

If the pedo affiliated invaders weren't there in the first place, they wouldn't get murdered for their pedo affiliated countrymen's actions.

When every occupier is an enemy, each wear the same target. What one does, all of them have done, especially in the eyes of the occupied.

I'm not saying that the invasion isn't bad I'm saying that there's a class of things ppl say when they're about to murder someone brutally and it's very often going to be some variation on wow this guy is an rear end in a top hat. It's just angry-flavored white noise.

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008
lol be nice to the rapist, genocidal orc invaders is a hell of a take…

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

slurm posted:

This is a settler-colonial war of extermination. If you don't want the violence characteristic of this kind of war, don't engage in it.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

NJersey posted:

lol be nice to the rapist, genocidal orc invaders is a hell of a take…

Realizing when humans are rationalizing their imminent murderous intent is a good thing, even when justified.

Ukrainian and Russian soldiers alike are going to say whoever they are about to merc in cold blood is the worst dogfucking, baby spiking bastard on this blue Earth. Calling attention to the group-think capability to rationalize execution is a considered approach that appreciates that human violence is messy and most people are full of poo poo.

Running away with murderous intent leads to bad things, no matter how satisfying it is

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Turns out human nature sucks and we're violent, hairless apes with bigger and sharper sticks than ever. War does what war does to people, and all of these lovely effects on both sides could have been avoided by Putin not being such a loving chode. Welp.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Just Another Lurker posted:

Partisans aren't protected by laws like soldiers, kill or be killed is the usual way.

This isn't correct. Partisans are treated based upon how they conduct themselves. If they wear a uniform or distinct identification, even something as simple as a colored sash or arm band, and they generally conduct themselves in accordance with the laws of war, they are required Geneva accords protections as soldiers. Furthermore, anyone who surrenders themselves to you is required humane treatment, regardless of their prior status.

That's not to say that all partisans have those protections, I'm just pointing out that they aren't unlawful combatants automatically.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

my kinda ape posted:

Russian dude meant himself when he said “he”. Sacrificing the Ukraine in his place like any good repentant criminal would do.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cythereal posted:

Holy poo poo lol

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Some details on the $3 billion dollar Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative (UASI) announcement today. This is different from a Presidential Drawdown Authority (PDA), in that USAI procures new systems. PDAs pull out of existing US stocks. PDAs are fast and immediate, but obviously come from somewhere in US stocks. USAIs are new build from industry, funded by the US government.

Highlight of stuff DOD published:
https://www.defense.gov/News/Releases/Release/Article/3138105/nearly-3-billion-in-additional-security-assistance-for-ukraine/

quote:

Capabilities include:

Six additional National Advanced Surface-to-Air Missile Systems (NASAMS) with additional munitions for NASAMS;
Up to 245,000 rounds of 155mm artillery ammunition;
Up to 65,000 rounds of 120mm mortar ammunition;
Up to 24 counter-artillery radars;
Puma Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) and support equipment for Scan Eagle UAS systems;
VAMPIRE Counter-Unmanned Aerial Systems;
Laser-guided rocket systems;
Funding for training, maintenance, and sustainment.

No transcript out yet, so here's a rough paraphrase, not transcription, of key highlights as I decide based on my personal biases and willingness to type while it plays at 2x speed.

Full video here from the press conference earlier today:
https://www.c-span.org/video/?522476-1/pentagon-briefs-latest-3-billion-ukraine-assistance-package

USD for Policy Colin Kahl posted:

Q: How far from fielding the Vampires (C-UAS) are we? How much of the package would go to training?
A: This will require more training, and in this package, it will take months and 1, 2, 3 years in some instances to reach Ukraine, so we have plenty of time to train them. [don't have a clear answer on training specifics]

Q: Why still no aircraft or pilot training? Why no ATACMS?
A: Aircraft - our current priority is focusing on aircraft the Ukrainians already have. We have adapted HARMs to fly off MiG-29s, and the Ukrainians have been using those to great effect. It would take years to field 4th gen aircraft to the Ukrainians. [Talks about SECDEF tasking OSD and JS to work with USEUCOM staff, in consultation with Ukraine, to determine what a future forces picture could look like in the mid to long-term.] It matters very much that Ukraine can sustain and afford any future capability. Billions of dollars of assistance may not be available 10 years from now or 20 years from now, so we have to ensure Ukraine receives systems they can sustain. Fighter aircraft remain on the table, there is no final decision.
ATACMS - [says a lot about providing HIMARS and how effective GMLRS have been, saying hundreds and hundreds have been provided and that GMLRS have been the most relevant mentions for the fight. Priority is sustaining GMLRS supply, and the US assesses that Ukraine does not require ATACMS, so the US is fielding GMLRS and not ATACMS.]

Q: Question about laser guided rockets.
A: They have a range of about 8 kms and can target personnel carriers and unmanned aerial systems. Some will arrive in 9 months, others will take a year or two. [on GMLRS rounds, clarifies that GMLRS arrive by the hundreds via PDA packages, not via USAI packages]

Q: is the Pentagon having difficulties contracting in the past and is this built into the timeline?
A: [first, a short answer about wanting things as soon as process allows]
We have to manage expectations. The package of capabilities here is really aimed at getting Ukrainians what they will need in the medium to long term. It's not relevant tot he fight today, tomorrow, next week. It is relevant to the ability of Ukraine to defend itself and to deter further aggression a year from now, two years from now. This is extraordinarily important because at least as we can discern, Vladimir Putin has not given up on his overall strategic objectives of seizing most of Ukraine, toppling the regime, reclaiming Ukraine as part of a new Russian empire. What he has done is lengthen his timeline in recognition that he is off plan.
As a consequence, his theory of victory is that he can wait everyone out. He can wait the Ukrainians out because they will be exhausted. He can wait us out because we will turn our attention elsewhere. He can wait the Europeans out because of high energy prices or whatever. So, packages like this are extremely important in directly challenging Putin's theory in the case that we are not in it for the long haul, that we are not supporting Ukraine for the long haul. The other value in USAI money is when we take things out of our own stocks, we are taking out of our own stocks. That puts certain constraints on what we can provide and the timeline. When we use USAI money, private sector can produce these things, but it takes a longer time.

Q: Does the package indicate the war is winnable for Ukraine?
A: The package does not provide an assessment of the endgame. The aid is agnostic of the outcome. Ukraine's survival is important, its territorial integrity is important. It is important that Russia pay a cost in excess of the benefits of aggression to deter future aggression and so others take the lesson. It is important that Putin's goal of fracturing the West and NATO is turned on its head and NATO emerges stronger. If a war continues for years, this package is relevant. If there is a ceasefire, it is still relevant.

Q: Is the reason to not provide ATACMS for military reasons or due to escalation fears?
A: [tl;dr: GMLRS has been excellent for their needs, such as holding in the east and ranging C2, logistics, sustainment. We assess GMLRS are the most important thing to continue emphasizing and there is a steady flow of those going to Ukraine. Does not address ATACMS and escalation, just that GMLRS is good]

Q: Why not address a political settlement to the war more directly? (paraphrasing heavily here)
A: We think we are in the same place as the question suggests. The reason for the commitment is to challenge Vladimir Putin's theory of victory that he can outlast everybody... [These packages] challenge Vladimir Putin's miscalculation, he believes that he can just grind it out and wait it out. It is suppose to impact his calculus... Hopefully it incentivizes negotiation and puts Ukraine in a stronger position at the negotiation table and hedge against [Putin] doing this again.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Russian propaganda handout for, from the context, civilian volunteers handing out relief supplies.

https://twitter.com/KATURATION/status/1562720281571250178

Quoting a translation because it's alternately hilarious and Darth Vader-style threatening. "You can buy a Russian car! They are cheap!"

quote:

Questions/Answer Options/Note

"Is this humanitarian aid from Russia?"
"That's right, this humanitarian aid is from ordinary people who sympathize with the residents here."
"It is important to indicate that help is provided by ordinary people."

"Will Russia bomb us?"
"No, the Russian Federation only carries out precision strikes against military targets."
"If Ukrainian news - these news are false in order to discredit Russian Federation"

"Russia is here forever?"
"Yes, you don't have to be afraid, the Russian Federation is not retreating."
"In the case of the previously liberated territories in which the retreat was undertaken, they were not included in Special Military Operation plans."

"I don't like (name of official)"
"Russia is a true democracy and you can choose any officials you like, or you can run for office yourelf."
"From this issue it is desirable to communicate you are apolitical"

"When will the referendum be?"
"September 11 on the Single Voting Day."

"What will happen if Ukraine returns?"
"Ukraine will not return to these territories."

"Why is the fighting going on?"
"There is a battle for the liberation of the Nikolaev region, in the near future all the goals of the Special Military Operation will be fulfilled."
"You can talk about the fact that the Armed Forces of Ukraine are shelling the Kherson and Zaporozyhe regions due to their hatred of the population."

"I speak Ukrainian. What will happen to me?"
"Nothing, in Crimea for example, there are three official languagues."
"If you know Ukranian, you can switch to it."

"What is happening with Ukraine now?"
"Ukraine is being divided by the US and Europe, soon its statehood will cease to exist."
"You can refer to the fact that in the western regions the Polish zloty is already in circulation on a par with the hyrvnia."

"Will I be able to travel to the territory of the other regions of Ukraine or Europe?"
"It depends only on the authorities of Ukraine and European coutnries."
"It is worth mentioning that now Russian-speaking people are being persecuted all over the world."

"I do not want to live in Russia."
"You're just afraid, Russia is a country of great opportunity with a great history."
"Notify the military police or other law enforcement agencies."

"What happened in Crimea in 2014?"
"The referendum was passed, it was calm, the majority supported the desire to become part of the Russian Federation."
"It is worth mentioning that Crimea lives calmly and with a dialogue of cultures. A lot of money is allocated for the construction of roads and facilities."

"What will happen to our destroyed houses?"
"All houses and other buildings will be restored after the referendum at the expense of Russia."

"We don't have any money, where can we get social payments or other assistance?"
"You should contact the authorities, CAA (occupation government) and other supervising structures."
"Call for obtaining Russian citizenship as soon as possible, since it provides more opportunities for payments."

"We are afraid of the local partisans."
"You can report any known information to law enforcement agencies."
"Indicate they are not partisans, but Ukrainian sabotage groups."

"What will happen to our Ukrainian passports? Will they be taken away?"
"No, they stay with you."

"How can I ask for targeted assistance?"
"You can let us know your needs and we will do our best to collect."

"Will children be taught in schools from September? In what language?"
"Yes, everything will be carried out according to plan, schools will open as usual. Teaching will take place in Russian, however you can apply to create classes in Ukrainian."
"Refer to the experience of Crimea."

"Why are you doing this, are you being paid for it?"
"No, we are volunteers, we help on behalf of all caring citizens and do not recieve renumeration for this."
"In addition, you are not a member of political parties."

"Is everything calm in Crimea?"
"Yes, thanks to the Russian army, Crimeans have not known the sounds of gunshots for a long time."

"Why is the Russian army engaged in looting?"
"The Russian army does not engage in looting, unlike the Armed Forces of Ukraine."
"If they have witnessed it, the guilty will be brought to justice."

"Is the Russian army shelling Ukrainian cities?"
"No, only military facilities."

"What is the healthcare system like in Russia?"
"Better than in Ukraine, Russia has one of the best healthcare systems."

"They say that there is poverty in Russia."
"That is a lie, in Russia almost everyone can afford a private car."
"Tell them that cars in the Russian Federation are cheaper than the Ukrainian ones."

"What army will our children serve in?"
"In Russian."

"We have relatives living in Ukraine, will we be able to communicate with them or see each other?"
"Of course, thee is no hatred towards ordinary Ukrainians in Russia."

"We are told about Bucha (or other fake news)"
"This is fake news from Zelensky and his team."
"Advise them to get acquainted with the investigations of Russian military correspondents, remind them of Zelensky's profession."

"Does Zelensky hate us?"
"Zelensky decides nothing, everything is decided by his curators from the United States."
"Mention that he is a drug addict."

"My relatives are in the Armed Forces of Ukraine (or another unit)"
"Recommend them to presuade them to go over to the side of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation."
"Notify the military police or other law enforcement agencies."

"Why is military equipment located besides houses?"
"It's for your safety."
"State that Armed Forces of Ukraine hide behind civilians."

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

Lum_ posted:

Russian propaganda handout for, from the context, civilian volunteers handing out relief supplies.

https://twitter.com/KATURATION/status/1562720281571250178

Quoting a translation because it's alternately hilarious and Darth Vader-style threatening. "You can buy a Russian car! They are cheap!"

"Why is military equipment located besides houses?"
"It's for your safety."
"State that Armed Forces of Ukraine hide behind civilians."

:laffo:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Yeah, especially combined with

quote:

"Is the Russian army shelling Ukrainian cities?"
"No, only military facilities."

Bonus lol

quote:

"I do not want to live in Russia."
"You're just afraid, Russia is a country of great opportunity with a great history."
*Notify the military police or other law enforcement agencies.*

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

quote:

"Is everything calm in Crimea?"
"Yes, thanks to the Russian army, Crimeans have not known the sounds of gunshots for a long time."

Gunshots? No.
Enormous ground shaking explosions? Perhaps…

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I'm reminded of that Russian made Polandball propaganda that completely missed the point that said "Did you know that in Russia we have tigers?"

The writing seems very similar.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

kemikalkadet posted:

Gunshots? No.
Enormous ground shaking explosions? Perhaps…

About that...

https://v.redd.it/vf8f2ywvgti91

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
https://mobile.twitter.com/VDV_Textbooks/status/1562703199718756352

It’s not unheard of for one spec ops group to fight another, after all there were those seals who killed that green beret

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Suicide Watch posted:

It’s not unheard of for one spec ops group to fight another, after all there were those seals who killed that green beret

I recall there was also in fighting reported with the Chechens and some of the Far Eastern Russian soldiers, including gun battles over looted stuff.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

quote:

"What army will our children serve in?"
"In Russian."

I know both countries have conscription but this just reads as threatening

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Some very interesting translations of a VDV memoir and an interview with a Russian Guards soldier. It's telling how bad the corruption is even among "elite" units, with both of them telling about commanders taking staged photos in place of doing actual training, and even "elite" units being stuck with rusted and obsolete weapons. Also, both of them admit their unit did looting and warcrimes.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1560022545356791810.html
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1560355153441705984.html
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1560725596765913089.html
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1561024849245573123.html
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1561411957340659713.html
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1561785870163787780.html

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1562874112707801088.html

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Oh god that thing was absolutely hilarious, just totally devoid of common sense or logic. Just list enough to fit an infographic. lol

The Civil War, aka the War of Northern Aggression

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Hashing out which kind of Isis video you're personally okay with is not a great look, guys.

idgi, do you not like isis videos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifp8m7O33Mc

Suicide Watch posted:

that's a kinda comically incomparable situation (seals were worried a gb was going to rat them out for stealing from an operational fund)

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 25, 2022

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
no rats in Russian army

only rival thieves

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Another good account from a contracted Russian soldier

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1562874112707801088

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

OctaMurk posted:

The Civil War, aka the War of Northern Aggression

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

they're coming for our duty-free shopping!!!!!!!!!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Gonna buy all your weird bagless milk.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Revenge for the invasions of Canada launched in the Revolutionary War & War of 1812.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Revenge for the invasions of Canada launched in the Revolutionary War & War of 1812.

An invasion of Canada from the US is one of the reasons Canada is independent so, y'know, you're welcome, Canada

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

that's a kinda comically incomparable situation (seals were worried a gb was going to rat them out for stealing from an operational fund)

How certain are you that this isn’t an almost identical situation? Because I could easily see it being the same sort of thing.

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

McGavin posted:

Gonna buy all your weird bagless milk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyCZTVapOnM

Its happened before it will happen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

McNally posted:

An invasion of Canada from the US is one of the reasons Canada is independent so, y'know, you're welcome, Canada

Sorry about the White House, eh?