Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
So, things are looking up from that rules sheet leak. Which probably says something about the difference between complicated cards and playable cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The World Inferno posted:

geez that's comical.

That Merfolk would be busted even w/o Flash, and effectively taxes every card your opponent is going to play. The green lord turns every elf into card advantage on cheap.

...the white one does little until it dies and then just pumps your guys once, hope you played one or two. It's puzzling unless the designer was told White couldn't be good.

Cycles man.....

https://twitter.com/hourlymtg/status/1277271313304952833?lang=ar-x-fm

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
this dwarf fucks

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

CommunityEdition posted:

So, things are looking up from that rules sheet leak. Which probably says something about the difference between complicated cards and playable cards.

Yeah today’s spoilers have been pretty goddamn good

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

People on reddit et al have been saying that this set is underpowered and maybe that's true from a older format perspective but the commons and uncommons in this set are extremely powerful. This is gonna be one of the strongest limited environments we've had in a while and I might reinstall arena just to draft it.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Some folks are very high on the power level for eternal formats:

https://twitter.com/FaithlessMTG/status/1562465024739647490

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I think calling Leyline Binding the most powerful removal since Swords to Plowshares is wildly insincere clickbait.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 24, 2022

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The Shortest Path posted:

I thunk calling Leyline Binding the most powerful removal since Swords to Plowshares is wildly insincere clickbait.

Especially while Boseiju is as heavily played as it is.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
This set has a lot of Oblivion Ring going on. What's up?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's not automatically 1 mana in every deck. But it will be in a lot of decks

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

AngryBooch posted:

Some folks are very high on the power level for eternal formats:

https://twitter.com/FaithlessMTG/status/1562465024739647490

it's an o-ring that can get cast on turn 2 I guess. comparing it to swords is weird

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Path to exile can exile a ragavan on turn one, and no one plays it as far as i know. Idk enough about pioneer to know if its good there but i cant see it seeing play in modern, let alone legacy

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

This has been my most anticipated card of the set lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Somebody is going to make bird tribal with ledger shredder and the baby phoenix

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Hell yeah bird wizard

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I was not expecting exile naturalize with upside. This is already the best version of this effect without the kicker, and the kicker makes it insane. What a fuckin card.

RIP Creeping Mold, outclassed in every way.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Seems kind of nuts, and also nice Wizard typing just to make the synergies even more apparent. I guess being a legend is a slight drawback, but not really in the right deck. Now all they need to do is reprint Burst of Speed or Anger or Emblem of the Warmind :getin:

Rivaz seems pretty solid as a Dragon lord, depending on how hard you can punch through stuff reliably.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 24, 2022

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

izzet aggro is lookin kinda spicy

Mat Cauthon posted:

Yeah I still cannot get over this card. It's a better naturalize or a colorshifted Utter End, and it's at uncommon.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mat Cauthon posted:

Creeping Mold is also a stone rain: a thing they no longer really do.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Izzet/Jeskai Spells seems like it's going to be in a pretty good place after the rotation, a lot of the Arcane Bombardment and Hinata decks are still going to be around it have acceptable replacements.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Tibalt posted:

Izzet/Jeskai Spells seems like it's going to be in a pretty good place after the rotation, a lot of the Arcane Bombardment and Hinata decks are still going to be around it have acceptable replacements.

is Hinata remotely playable without Magma Opus?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

The World Inferno posted:

geez that's comical.

That Merfolk would be busted even w/o Flash, and effectively taxes every card your opponent is going to play. The green lord turns every elf into card advantage on cheap.

...the white one does little until it dies and then just pumps your guys once, hope you played one or two. It's puzzling unless the designer was told White couldn't be good.

from a design perspective, there's only a certain amount of power to throw around on individual cards. You might as well put it in a place where you know it's going to be good, like goblins and elves, as opposed to taking a risk on a 2-mana white Lord that probably won't be appealing unless you push it to an unreasonable level or break the color pie in some way

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

izzet aggro is lookin kinda spicy

There's also that 1UU djinn that's basically Enigma Drake stapled to Goblin Electromancer, which is so disgusting.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

mandatory lesbian posted:

Path to exile can exile a ragavan on turn one, and no one plays it as far as i know. Idk enough about pioneer to know if its good there but i cant see it seeing play in modern, let alone legacy

eh, path still sees some play and used to see quite a bit more before they printed prismatic ending/solitude

prismatic ending is probably the better point of comparison since they both deal with non-creature threats, benefit from domain, have scaling mana costs, etc.

the new card does have some definite upsides/potential upsides in that comparison (instant, doesn’t care about cmc so it can merc a murktide, potentially cheaper in mid-long term, being etb randomly gets around some forms of protection), but it’s far from clear that they outweigh the difficulty of use during the first few turns/wanting to get full domain (and accompanying slowness and/or insecurity of the mana base)

e:

kalel posted:

from a design perspective, there's only a certain amount of power to throw around on individual cards. You might as well put it in a place where you know it's going to be good, like goblins and elves, as opposed to taking a risk on a 2-mana white Lord that probably won't be appealing unless you push it to an unreasonable level or break the color pie in some way
???

Power is always relative, and pushing a card doesn’t hurt some sort of imaginary budget that then requires you to then make the elf lord bad or w/e. The “risk” involved here is just that you either have a powerful card that doesn’t have enough support pieces to matter (in which case oh well) or it’s good enough (in conjunction with other cards) to make its tribe viable, which *also* isn’t a disaster. Ofc you can push it so hard it fucks upturn format or w/e but that’s a risk shared by *any* pushed card, and there’s a whole lot of room to work with before that lackluster lord turns into a new skullclamp or forms a format-warping spirit bomb of tribal synergy. This pretty clearly isn’t a scenario where the white lord had to be toned down because of the overwhelming power of other things in Soldier tribal!

Not every cycle is or needs to be equitable, but there’s definitely something offputting about tribal support that makes such clearly intentional power-level delineations between the “real” tribes and the also-rans.

LGD fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 24, 2022

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
This set seems really strong to me. I think what's coloring folks opinions (in the internet ether, not necessarily this thread) on this is that the high-profile cards like Karn, Ajani, Weatherlight, etc. all look like they suck. So it feels disappointing.

But there are tons of super great cards here, many of which are uncommon.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 24, 2022

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Lone Goat posted:

is Hinata remotely playable without Magma Opus?

I don't think so, and the mana base will also be terrible without pathways.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Why is white always the color that has to sacrifice card slots to be a secret multicolor card?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

orangelex44 posted:

Why is white always the color that has to sacrifice card slots to be a secret multicolor card?

Because white is the bad color. It always gets its limitations with standard and limited in mind, while the other colors have their limitations set by eternal formats.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

orangelex44 posted:

why.... what?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

kalel posted:

Soldiers are a pretty deep roster at this point, seeing a good amount of incidental play in a couple of formats - Thalia, Thalia's LT, Brutal Cathar, Adanto Vanguard, Favored Hoplite, General's Enforcer, General Kudro, 10th District Legionnaire, etc. They don't have the same synergy as Elves, Goblins, Merfolk, Fairies, etc, and are missing a solid 2-drop lord as well which holds them back from being a proper tribe. This guy could've solved at least one of those problems, and he's a Kor rather than a Human so you don't have to worry (too much) about accidentally buffing an ancillary tribe.

My guess is they were worried if they made him too good he would just be an auto-include in W/x aggro good stuff, but that seems like a pretty weak reason to not have it be on par with the other lords in DMU - they all have abilities that allow you to be somewhat active, the soldier lord has to be in the graveyard to do anything extra.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

White being bad is a Reddit take imo. Was it that long ago that the Mono W deck was the big boogie man in standard? Prismatic/Solitude/March/Skyclave have all seen eternal play. The best commander in commander has white as half its colour identity. There’s a good chance more good white cards have been printed in the last two years than black. The colour White in Magic: The Gathering is ownage imo.

I am interested to see which colour typically gets the worst card in cycles throughout Magic history. It probably is white, but I can think of a lot of lovely red cards too.

fadam fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 24, 2022

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

white didn't start getting the goods recently until zendikar rising with the printing of skyclave app, Luminarch asp, archon of em, and to a lesser extent felidar retreat. that was in 2020. which is roughly a year after the release of throne of eldraine when the whining about white from the community was at its peak

it is now in a decent place and I guess black is the current black sheep of the pie currently? But overall I think the pie balance is a lot better now than two years ago

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

fadam posted:

White being bad is a Reddit take imo. Was it that long ago that the Mono W deck was the big boogie man in standard? Prismatic/Solitude/March/Skyclave have all seen eternal play. The best commander in commander has white as half its colour identity. There’s a good chance more good white cards have been printed in the last two years than black. The colour White in Magic: The Gathering is ownage imo.

I am interested to see which colour typically gets the worst card in cycles throughout Magic history. It probably is white, but I can think of a lot of lovely red cards too.

White DID get the best Circle of Protection…

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

fadam posted:

The two strongest decks in bo1 standard are Boros and Mono-W, currently. And most people expect both to survive rotation.

Bo3 meta is slower of course but I am pretty certain that mono-w is the strongest mono-color deck in standard.
Checking stats: Jeskai, Rackdos, Esper, Grixis, Orzhov, mono-w
Somone with access to one of those paid stats providers could give you more data, but it is pretty clear that W is the strongest color currently.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

kalel posted:

white didn't start getting the goods recently until zendikar rising with the printing of skyclave app, Luminarch asp, archon of em, and to a lesser extent felidar retreat. that was in 2020. which is roughly a year after the release of throne of eldraine when the whining about white from the community was at its peak

it is now in a decent place and I guess black is the current black sheep of the pie currently? But overall I think the pie balance is a lot better now than two years ago

The only 60 card constructed format I play with any regularity right now is Modern and Black definitely feels like it’s the worst positioned colour there. The only black cards I see are basically Living End fodder.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

fadam posted:

what's the best commander in commander

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

ilmucche posted:

Tymna

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

ilmucche posted:

the blue one

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

fadam posted:

The only 60 card constructed format I play with any regularity right now is Modern and Black definitely feels like it’s the worst positioned colour there. The only black cards I see are basically Living End fodder.

Black is good in Legacy, reanimator is strong and grixis control is creeping back, bant with black splash was the best version but bant is in a bad spot. There’s some storm variants that run peer into the abyss/ad naus and tendrils which have been losing ground to TEG but they’re still around.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Goa Tse-tung posted:

the blue one

Part of what makes Tymna goated is how she’s friends with two of the best blue commanders.

Chakan posted:

Black is good in Legacy, reanimator is strong and grixis control is creeping back, bant with black splash was the best version but bant is in a bad spot. There’s some storm variants that run peer into the abyss/ad naus and tendrils which have been losing ground to TEG but they’re still around.

What’s the most recent black card that’s seeing a lot of play? Pita?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

fadam posted:

Part of what makes Tymna goated is how she’s friends with two of the best blue commanders.

What’s the most recent black card that’s seeing a lot of play? Pita?

grief probably