Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Everyone raved about Sonic Mania's CRT filter, but I tried it and can't imagine playing the whole game like that.

I do get sad when I visit my local barcade and 15/20 machines have all had their screens replaced with LCDs. And in most cases, had multi-arcade boards installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i've been hosting a lanparty for friends for 20 years, everyone used to carry a giant CRT monitor to my house and set it up. at some point the first lcd monitors started showing up and i remember thinking how lovely they looked even if they were a lot easier to bring over, i hung on to crt for a relatively long time until i finally got a samsung 21 inch lcd

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Thank you for reminding me about Igorrr :black101:

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Some videos I took of old displays in the last year or so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wesh8F59hc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV038AqXjbk

Vectrex looks so much better in person than recorded over video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XXdFJ9eVj0

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

wa27 posted:

I do get sad when I visit my local barcade and 15/20 machines have all had their screens replaced with LCDs. And in most cases, had multi-arcade boards installed.
Oh cool they have Asteroids, Star Wars, and Battlezone!

With LCDs? Nooooooo! Those games look so much better in vector.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Remulak posted:

Oh cool they have Asteroids, Star Wars, and Battlezone!

With LCDs? Nooooooo! Those games look so much better in vector.

How are vector graphics so much brighter on CRTs? Do they overdrive the brightness or something? Do vector graphics burn out a CRT's brightness faster? Wouldn't that mean that all the Vectrexes in the world are likely gonna die pretty badly over the next 20 years?

Sorry, I was watching a video about the Vectrex earlier and it left me with all of these questions.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
A vector crt does not have pixels, it has an uninterrupted layer of phosphor that the beam draws onto.

The beam does not scan across the display line by line, it draws each shape and moves on.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

CoolCab posted:

you can trivially make all sorts of blur filters and various emulators have implemented them for as long as they've been around. ZSNES back in the day had a smoothing function.

I don't have a copy of zsnes to check and haven't used it in a long time (and no one ever should, but that's a whole other rant. Though I guess it could be on topic as why rats nests of x86 assembly and full speed at all costs emulation are obsolete) but was that just the bilinear filter?

Modern emulators have that too, separate from GPU shaders, because it has such a negligible performance impact. But I just found out the other day, while it's a minor difference on most displays, once you get to a big enough display it looks like such garbage on anything 2d.

Been playing some NES and SNES on a 120 inch display lately. Things that looked fine otherwise suddenly look very very bad. Unplayably bad.

My opinion on shaders, I've never seen a crt shader that wasn't garbage. I can't imagine playing through a whole game with any of them. But also actual CRTs do in fact look great with old games. Which is why I actually think other shaders are ok, like hqx or the more artistic ones. Yes they radically change the art style, but gently caress it just playing on a modern display does too, and some of them can actually look "good" depending on the game.

I actually got a bunch of pictures from testing emulation stuff because I wrote up a mostly complete guide to setting up RetroArch for a friend, so,

Just Mario, this is fine but like we all talked about not how it would look on a CRT, at all.

But this is with the defaults for CRT Royale, I don't know about you but on my display, yes that smooths out the jaggedness but that doesnt actually look like any CRT I've used in real life. We're just pretending to replicate a CRT but what we should really be thinking about is smoothing out the edges without making it blurry.

4xBR, kinda extreme. But at least we're not pretending like it's anything "authentic to an actual CRT." Fake scanlines are stupid and look bad, whether you think this is garbage or not is subjective and I can see either way but we're not kidding ourselves with "scanlines" at least. It looks nothing like how the game looked in the 80s or 90s on my 13 inch CRT but neither does CRT Royale.

og gb shader though is actually good and the best and this how all games should be. I think this actually does look good when you're going for old gameboy nostalgia.

BrainDance has a new favorite as of 03:05 on Aug 25, 2022

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

IMO messing with scalers and not worrying too much about 'em is part of the fun of retro gaming. These days I usually use xBRZ when I can or good old Normal4x, but sometimes I'll use a dreadful CRT filter for the heck of it.

Winty
Sep 22, 2007

Arivia posted:

How are vector graphics so much brighter on CRTs? Do they overdrive the brightness or something? Do vector graphics burn out a CRT's brightness faster? Wouldn't that mean that all the Vectrexes in the world are likely gonna die pretty badly over the next 20 years?

Sorry, I was watching a video about the Vectrex earlier and it left me with all of these questions.
here's a thought experiment:

1- draw a few polygons with a sharpie
2- draw a few polygons using a raster scan

now consider this:
- which one took much less time?
- which one, if you had to do it every frame, would be an efficient use of the electron gun?

in a raster scan, the gun can be completely off more than 50% of the time.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

yeah fake scanlines are stupid and id rather play in super 2x sai or whatever it was called

the best looking filters are the ones that do a pixel raster effect like on the analogue pocket or certain gbc mods

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Winty posted:

here's a thought experiment:

1- draw a few polygons with a sharpie
2- draw a few polygons using a raster scan

now consider this:
- which one took much less time?
- which one, if you had to do it every frame, would be an efficient use of the electron gun?

in a raster scan, the gun can be completely off more than 50% of the time.

Ohhh, that makes sense. Thanks!

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I have what is probably the most lopsided dual-monitor setup of all time.

I have an Alienware AW3821DW 38" ultrawide, and a Dell E773C 17" CRT. This is not a high-end CRT, its just a late poo poo-tier option you'd get with a very low-end PC in like 2004. It's even black plastic!

The CRT does 1024x768 @ 85 Hz and there's just something different about it. I use it to play old games.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1562910761495670786?s=20&t=vRR8g_XZLJ2TxSdSCtsE1g

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

0toShifty posted:

I have what is probably the most lopsided dual-monitor setup of all time.

I have an Alienware AW3821DW 38" ultrawide, and a Dell E773C 17" CRT. This is not a high-end CRT, its just a late poo poo-tier option you'd get with a very low-end PC in like 2004. It's even black plastic!

The CRT does 1024x768 @ 85 Hz and there's just something different about it. I use it to play old games.

Of course I finally have a desk wide enough after I liquidated my big rear end PC CRT. :smith:

This is the way though, best of both worlds!

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

LimaBiker posted:

It's so weird. When in my teenage years the LCD TVs started to become mainstream, no one believed me when i said 'the CRT has much better colors'.

I think we were all too thrilled to have light, thin, power efficient displays with perfect geometry to care.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

Since it's foone, I half expected the thread to be them piecing together a storage module weighing in just over 10 megabytes out of eeprom flash chips from copiers run into a custom-firmware floppy controller or something equally ridiculous.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

nurrwick posted:

Since it's foone, I half expected the thread to be them piecing together a storage module weighing in just over 10 megabytes out of eeprom flash chips from copiers run into a custom-firmware floppy controller or something equally ridiculous.

10 megabytes of PS1 memory cards.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

a RAID of ps1 memory cards

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

My first PC was a Leading Edge Model D. It came with dual 5.25" floppy drives. I couldn't afford the $500 ($1280 now) 10Mb harddrive option.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

A very silly TV lamp, I need to see if it works.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
https://mobile.twitter.com/benjedwards/status/1564230187688009730

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Are any of those really odd? Seem like standard plugs from that era

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Are any of those really odd? Seem like standard plugs from that era

It's not super out odd, but it was probably a fairly short amount of time you could get a screen with ALL those inputs in one. Once HDMI came in, others started dropping off - probably component/s-video first, leaving only composite for backwards compatibility.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Both a USB and an RS232 port on one device for service seems odd.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
The individual ports aren't odd. Having ALL OF THEM AND MORE is.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The RS232 is for remote control (e.g. in an auditorium or conference room system), the USB for firmware updates, maybe?

e: Though I see the serial is labeled "control and service", so yeah, I agree.
It's a type A port, though, so if they've done things right (big if), that means the TV is the host and you're meant to plug in a device (like a USB stick or a keyboard). If the TV presents as a USB serial adapter, it should have a type B port.

If I had to guess, the serial port accepts configuration commands, not just "on" and "source 3", and those configuration commands are extensive?

Computer viking has a new favorite as of 14:10 on Aug 30, 2022

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

My old Sony Bravia had all those (plus Scart too). It's not that unusual.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Devices that keep the power grid running do this very thing today.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TotalLossBrain posted:

Devices that keep the power grid running do this very thing today.

"why did the entire east coast lose power today"

"someone changed the channel from a big bang theory rerun"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
You can do some pretty cool poo poo with those serial connections. I had a prank mapped out like

Turn off user interface
Turn off remote control
Play emergency_response_nuke.mp4
Play empty_presidential_podium_3hr
Wait 12 minutes
Play ER-nuke2

Etc etc

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Things I've had to discover at work recently include "how to get a Dell MD1400 DAS box to quiet down when you've offended it by using non-Dell drives".

The procedure, on this $2400, 2021, hardware that comes with (expensive) service contracts and support and all:

- Find a usb mini cable and plug it into the service port on either of the SAS modules
- It should show up as a USB serial controller with two ports. One of them works. Just try both.
- Connect to it - it's 115200 8N1. It will ask for a password. Dell will not tell you that the password is "bluemoon", but it is documented in a single reddit comment by some random guy.
- The help menu is surprisingly decent, but the only command you really need is shutup nn, where nn is the percent fan speed you want. Try 20.

The old ones used plain RS232 over some nonstandard plug, IIRC, so the USB serial trick is actually a nice improvement.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Nocheez posted:

What's a TV lamp?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Groda posted:

What's a TV lamp?

It shines light on the wall behind the TV so the bright tv doesn't burn your eyes out.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Groda posted:

What's a TV lamp?

Twenty bucks, same as in town.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Nocheez posted:

this really looks like a gravy boat. wtf

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

it's an egyptian ship of the dead

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Computer viking posted:

(And yeah I know master/slave aren't great descriptions, but for better or worse that seems to be the words used in USB topology.)
I've never in my life heard that applied to usb. It's always been usb host and usb device as far as I've seen. If nothing else, it's an established alternative, if you were looking for one.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I am pretty sure USB officially uses host and device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Yeah, even just looking at device manage, you see USB Host Controller.

In other arenas, I've taken to Main and Secondary if only because existing abbreviations can stay.