Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Golden Dragon posted:

Imagine not using Dogmeat as your companion.

Dogmeat, or Nick Valentine. No one else is worth my time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

credburn posted:

Just running around looking for the loving keys, going through teleporters that lead to dead ends, flipping switches that don't articulate their function. I don't play Doom to solve puzzles.

This just, kinda sounds like Doom though? I recently was playing some Doom II after many, many years and somehow I had forgotten how much of it is just running around looking for keys, backtracking, figuring out where the gently caress to go, hitting random switches etc.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Fallout 4: When you return to a place where has a companion has incidental dialogue, they will repeat it ad nauseam every time.

Yes, Curie, that is a wooden ship atop a building.

Saints Row 3: I don't know why Johnny Gat was even in the game if he's killed offscreen in the prologue. Yes, I have played the fourth game.

SR3 went through a bunch of rewrites and cuts throughout development iirc. Entire subplots got dropped or rewritten multiple times even after cutscenes were animated. Gat's death was supposed to be a big deal and the central plot at some point but I think someone higher up (a publisher maybe even?) wanted the game to be more light hearted so they had to Frankenstein a solution around what they already had done.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Golden Dragon posted:

Imagine having limited companions.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Crowetron posted:

SR3 went through a bunch of rewrites and cuts throughout development iirc. Entire subplots got dropped or rewritten multiple times even after cutscenes were animated. Gat's death was supposed to be a big deal and the central plot at some point but I think someone higher up (a publisher maybe even?) wanted the game to be more light hearted so they had to Frankenstein a solution around what they already had done.

More specifically, Gat was supposed to be one of the big bads who turned on the Saints because he felt they sold out. I don't blame them for changing that plot element but keeping in his "death".

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Randalor posted:

More specifically, Gat was supposed to be one of the big bads who turned on the Saints because he felt they sold out. I don't blame them for changing that plot element but keeping in his "death".

Was that endgame replaced with the military dude who shows up in the third act? Because that would explain why he kinda comes out of nowhere and takes over the narrative

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Golden Dragon posted:

I think Dogmeat shouldn't be a companion. He was only in Fallout 2 as a joke. Now he's a -- mascot? I don't know. I don't like it. But I don't like almost every direction the franchise has gone since Tactics. Well, actually, Tactics did some dumb poo poo and 2 isn't exempt, either. 1 holds up pretty well, I think. And that PS2 Dark Alliance knockoff with Ballz Cola or whatever it was. That game was sweet

Things that bring down the Fallout franchise in order:

Fallout 1: The writing is inconsistent as gently caress. Clearly several people wrote lines in the game and there is no harmony between any of it.
Fallout 2: Ghosts, gold coins as currency, fire breathing dragons, dungeons, what is this a fantasy rpg. Also: instead of hubris bringing down the entire world it was just all for social experiments go gently caress yourself
Fallout Tactics: Hairy deathclaws and anime robots. Also: Supermutants were created by The Master and them being sterile and dying out are really loving important plot points in Fallout 1 and 2. It's such bullshit to just erase all that by being like oh there were ummm FEV labs over here too, and for some reason they produced the same supermutants even without the Master's goo melding and organism vetting
Fallout BOS: Ballz cola or whatever. At least they didn't try to capitalize on the irony of marketing a real world item in a game based on the ruins of an overly capitalistic retro-future
Fallout 3: Sure, Supermutants are all the way in DC, why not? Oh and Harold is over here, too? How did any of them cross the loving desert? Dogmeat, too? Sure, why the gently caress not? Why make original ideas
Fallout: New Vegas: This game is fine.
Fallout 4: Fallout 4 is fine.
Fallout 76: Fallout 76 is a trainwreck in every way and I don't think that's really an unpopular opinion

credburn has a new favorite as of 19:40 on Aug 24, 2022

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Randalor posted:

Oh man, that's news to me and I thought I'd heard it all.

SR3 and 4 were probably the best games kludged together from cut ideas, half-finished concepts and DLCs there ever were. I always thought "boy, imagine if Volition ever get a budget and proper development cycle again" but apparently that's not really working out.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Crowetron posted:

Was that endgame replaced with the military dude who shows up in the third act? Because that would explain why he kinda comes out of nowhere and takes over the narrative

No idea, it was an article on PCGamer's site in either as a lead-up to Saints Row 4 or shortly after it came out where the developer talked about how Saints Row 4 came to be, and how it started as an expansion pack for SR3 and some of the other stuff that was cut or changed in SR3.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
In fact the whole original concept that led to SR4 is available as DLC as "Enter the Dominatrix". I haven't played it but from all accounts it was a good move to just make it its own game, and they ended up with a better story/writing anyway. 3 probably leans the hardest on sheer wackiness, while 4's humor is more character driven (despite all the superheroics and sci-fi shenanigans.)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Fallout 4 is like a lot of Bethesda games in that it has countless brilliant ideas, but always whiffs the execution.

How would you improve the settlement metagame? Rip off the management minigame from Yakuza and Metal Gear Solid V, and give an interface that lets you remotely delegate tasks. Instead of having the player do boring random missions, just assign an NPC to do it. You would also have an overarching quest to give the system stricture and a point.

How would you improve the crafting? Less material types and they don't have carry weight. Bring back skills and have it so that your 50 points in Melee means you can duct-tape a knife to a baseball bat.

How would you improve the quest-log? Rip off the one from Horizon or Outer Worlds, which sorts the important ones like saving the world so they aren't mixed in with fetch quests like collecting antique dildos for a nostalgiac pre-war ghoul.

How would you improve combat? Don't cram into every goddamn quest and location.

Ah gently caress it, just give it to Obsidian or Arkane.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

credburn posted:

I just started Rage and I'm already really disappointed at the real low-effort introduction to the game's world. The game starts with a great cinematic with great music, and the opening bit where you're in the stasis thing is great, and the leaving the pod and looking at the ruined vista of the world is really immersive and cool. Then you are attacked but rescued, and the guy who rescues just tells you Hey, I need you to go fuckin kill like thirty of those people. Here's a gun. And I oblige? What? The game just presented me with an immersive backstory and my character would have lots of questions and would probably feel very overwhelmed, but no, instead it's just RIP AND TEAR

I know it's an Id game and it's just about shooting and driving lovely cars, but nothing about the opening segment would lead me to believe I was just a maniac with bloodlust

The thing that dragged Rage down for me was the fact that I played Rage 2 first. I went from a colourful, Mad Max-style shooter to a last-gen brown fest.

Not the game’s fault that the sequel improved on pretty much everything but it meant that I got bored and abandoned it pretty quickly.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is Rage 2 worth a tenner? I beat their Mad Max and I pretty much expect same open-world junk-food another go round.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

RoboRodent posted:

Dogmeat, or Nick Valentine. No one else is worth my time.

Dogmeat counts separately so you don't even have to choose!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Is Rage 2 worth a tenner? I beat their Mad Max and I pretty much expect same open-world junk-food another go round.

It's Mad Max like the movies, not Mad Max like the game. It's more about the shooting and it just happens to be an open world game. I always recommend people rush the blue colored activities so you unlock a hoverbike and no longer have to bother with the wheeled vehicles anymore (outside of racing). The open world itself isn't that interesting.

I used to describe it as a perfect Game Pass game because while it is barely worth a tenner you at least get access to more games that way for a month. I'd assume it is still on there since Bethesda is owned by Microsoft these days.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 20:59 on Aug 24, 2022

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

10 to 15 bucks is just right for Rage 2. It's a fun game, but a little too empty and repetitive for any more money than that.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Crowetron posted:

10 to 15 bucks is just right for Rage 2. It's a fun game, but a little too empty and repetitive for any more money than that.

You're going to have to narrow that down, when the developer is Avalanche.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

You're going to have to narrow that down, when the developer is Avalanche.

Upside: the shooting is good

Downside: you will be shooting the same three types of dudes constantly

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Rage 2 felt more like Crackdown than anything. It was fun enough but not great, $10 is probably fine

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Crowetron posted:

The whole thing is messy as hell. There's a point where you're all trying to go back to the city from 2 for Gat's funeral and then there's a really badly edited cutscene of the bridge exploding or something and everyone's super pissed at the new villain (It's either the military guy or the luchador guy, they both suck) for "ruining gat's funeral" and it feels really hazy and confusing - and that's because in a slightly earlier draft of the story they were supposed to just straight up nuke stillwater while you were on your way there, trying to kill you but that was cut for being too extreme and serious. Saints row 3 is an absolute mess.

Fallout 4 is like a lot of Bethesda games in that it has countless brilliant ideas, but always whiffs the execution.

I still stand that Fallout 4's shooting is actually kind of fun, but it's really disappointed how stripped down melee combat is, and how they brutalized unarmed to like two weapons with almost no options. But more than that, the absolute worst part of the game even compared to other Bethesda games is how they just completely pissed away the world. Because the world is full of interesting and cool set pieces! But there's nothing to do anywhere, it's been beaten to death by now in terms of complaint; but no matter where you go in Fallout 4 there's rarely ever anything to do but show up, shoot guys. You find a robot race track? Everything, even the robots, aggro onto you instantly even if you're invisible and stealthed. A cool island made out of battleships? Nah it's just a raider camp. In fact, almost every cool location is just another raider camp, unless you're in the middle of the big city; then it's probably a super mutant camp. The sole exception to any of this is the rocket powered ship and its associated quest line written almost solely so you could get the goofy ship cannon weapon from a bunch of robots that think they're old timey boston soldiers. And that's cool, it'd be nice if more locations had anything like that. But they don't.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Bethesda obviously spent too many resources on the extremely high quality writing of Fallout 4 and there wasn't a lot left for any other aspect of the game.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

kazil posted:

Bethesda obviously spent too many resources on the extremely high quality writing of Fallout 4 and there wasn't a lot left for any other aspect of the game.

The interviews with fallout 4's writer are still real frustrating to hear.

Anyway, know what needs to be some kind of game design crime? Developers that make a game intended to be played a very specific way but then doesn't like, tell you that or make it clear in any way, or worse makes it look like you can play it in other ways but just makes it miserable or impossible.

In this case a friend got me this game, Barony, so we could play together. And on the front it's a roguelike rpg sort of thing. You go through a dungeon, get gear, fight monsters, etc. Except combat is awful, pretty much every class dies in two hits and the only way to not get obliterated is to just stack AC which you can't really do because most items don't give you very much, and you're reliant on RNG for it at that point because as far as I can tell at best you get like "blessed" items that give them +1 to AC. And even then like by the time you hit the second area everything's just blasting you for way higher numbers so you're just back to where you started. No, instead the game is designed around managing a number of very specific systems, namely operating on stealth for critical attacks are basically only done by charging an attack on an enemy that doesn't know you're there, and using a system of recruiting enemies/NPCs based on who and what is friendly with your race which combined with how some classes and races are explicitly designed to be harder than others means that certain class and race combinations are literally just easy mode while playing anything but the intended way is a gently caress you, why are you even bothering. I'm writing this after using an invisibility spell, creeping up on a guy only for him to just turn around and instantly kill me.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I've been playing Nethack for like thirty years, and Barony felt like a weird dream. It's functionally a 3D realtime translation of Nethack, and I love it for it, but it's also hard as balls and not at all fun to play.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Gave homefront a try, I think there's a war crime in every level

Two games that have a white phosphorus sequence came out within a year and a half of each other in 2011/2012. was that a big worry back then?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It's hilarious that despite their build-up the Institute has no plan whatsoever. All you do is make it easier for them to continue doing mad science for the shits and giggles.

It's also weird how the Railroad only has one Synth member, which is like having all white members on an anti-racism committee.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Late game Horizon Forbidden West spoilers: It's such bullshit that you go through an entire level explaining that Ted Faro was experimenting with becoming immortal but dealing with mutations and teasing that he might somehow be still alive. Then you get to the door he's behind, don't go through, never get to see him, and some rando flamethrowers him to death offscreen. And don't give me some guff about how anything they could show isn't as good as what I could imagine. I want my mutant monster man!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

It's also weird how the Railroad only has one Synth member, which is like having all white members on an anti-racism committee.

.... C-SPAM?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Late to the party, but Red Dead Redemption 2 is a gorgeous and atmospheric game dragged down by R* huffing their own farts so badly.

From the ridiculously complex controls with 14 pages of KB&M keybinds and a controller mapping where half the buttons do double duty and to check how to do things you have to click into and out of several submenus, to the systems layered on systems and the continued refusal to allow saving during missions so if you get stuck on geometry then it's time to redo 20 minutes of gameplay, it all feels like R* really need someone who can actually say no to them.

Also the insistence on a cinematic experience is ridiculous, just use all your money to make a film if you're so desperate (unless Chris Roberts hosed things SO BADLY in the 90s with the Wing Commander movie that Hollywood will never let a videogame guy do it again). I want to just be a cowboy, shoot people and explore. Please Rockstar, just let up long enough for me to do that.

The most loving annoying thing though was the opening minutes setting up a clear thing where letterboxing means it's a cutscene where you don't have control. That's fine, various games do that. Except then why would you have a single (so far) apparent cutscene that's letterboxed and you do still have control if you've established that this is how you denote cutscenes. The game's barely been going for an hour at this point so it's not like it's a shocking twist. Absolutely baffling.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
It doesn't actively drag the game down, but in retrospect after reviewing a bunch of its storylines, it is pretty frustrating how often Final Fantasy XIV introduces a character who's a total and confirmed abject liar, but is also the only source on information that the game will go on to treat as unquestioned fact. Is there any reason to believe that they were telling the truth about this one thing when they lied about everything else? No! Are we going to doubt the claim at all because of that? Also no!

I can think of at least three different characters like this, it makes it very hard to figure out what I'm supposed to believe.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Golden Dragon posted:

He's even worse! He says the same thing no matter where you go!

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
This just reminds me of my pet peeve that they haven't recorded any new thunder sound effects since video games first started to exist. Thunder sounds are super cool and varied in real life but in video games there are like eight total thunder sounds

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Necrothatcher posted:

Late game Horizon Forbidden West spoilers: It's such bullshit that you go through an entire level explaining that Ted Faro was experimenting with becoming immortal but dealing with mutations and teasing that he might somehow be still alive. Then you get to the door he's behind, don't go through, never get to see him, and some rando flamethrowers him to death offscreen. And don't give me some guff about how anything they could show isn't as good as what I could imagine. I want my mutant monster man!

Ah bummer, it sounds like this game fell for the 'everything must be connected' trap HARD, I'm reminded of how the latest five nights at freddy's game (it's actually a quite good one so I'll spoiler too) has a literal train crash of fanservice at the end in the form of the previous game's pizzeria literally in its entirety being collapsed beneath the actual game's pizzeria. A gigantic Thing blob made out of cables and animatronics from the old games appears and has been conglomerating there all creepy-like. This creature isn't the final boss, instead it just yanks you into the boss arena where Springtrap, a really important series character, just randomly IS and steps out and you have to Five-Nights-At-Freddy's-Duel him by burning him to death in separate rooms from yours.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 17:24 on Aug 25, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cleretic posted:

It doesn't actively drag the game down, but in retrospect after reviewing a bunch of its storylines, it is pretty frustrating how often Final Fantasy XIV introduces a character who's a total and confirmed abject liar, but is also the only source on information that the game will go on to treat as unquestioned fact. Is there any reason to believe that they were telling the truth about this one thing when they lied about everything else? No! Are we going to doubt the claim at all because of that? Also no!

I can think of at least three different characters like this, it makes it very hard to figure out what I'm supposed to believe.

You should read Pale Fire

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Cleretic posted:

Are they all Lalafell?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

NonzeroCircle posted:

Are they all Lalafell?

Or Ascians.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Necrothatcher posted:

I feel like that has to show up as DLC at some point.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

How would you improve the settlement metagame? Rip off the management minigame from Yakuza and Metal Gear Solid V, and give an interface that lets you remotely delegate tasks. Instead of having the player do boring random missions, just assign an NPC to do it. You would also have an overarching quest to give the system stricture and a point.

How would you improve the crafting? Less material types and they don't have carry weight. Bring back skills and have it so that your 50 points in Melee means you can duct-tape a knife to a baseball bat.

How would you improve the quest-log? Rip off the one from Horizon or Outer Worlds, which sorts the important ones like saving the world so they aren't mixed in with fetch quests like collecting antique dildos for a nostalgiac pre-war ghoul.

How would you improve combat? Don't cram into every goddamn quest and location.

Ah gently caress it, just give it to Obsidian or Arkane.

I'm not really sure what is stopping Microsoft from making the next Fallout game a collaboration between studios, since they own both Zenimax/Bethesda and Obsidian outright.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Call of Duty 4-2: One of the player characters captures someone to get tortured offscreen and everyone's okay with it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Nuebot posted:

And that's cool, it'd be nice if more locations had anything like that. But they don't.

The three things in FO4 I liked were exploring Kelloggs brain, Nick Valentine, and Fah Hahbah.

Lord Lambeth posted:

I'm not really sure what is stopping Microsoft from making the next Fallout game a collaboration between studios, since they own both Zenimax/Bethesda and Obsidian outright.

Just take the IP from Bethesda and give it to Obsidian. :colbert:

Anyhow, I was talking about FO4 on discord a while back, and I think that FO4s writing and world design is in an almost uncanny Valley style spot: its much better than FO3, and comes so close to being actually good that it's offensive when it ultimately drops the ball.

Agents are GO! has a new favorite as of 23:38 on Aug 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Mamkute posted:

Call of Duty 4-2: One of the player characters captures someone to get tortured offscreen and everyone's okay with it.

In COD Black Ops, the player themself tortures a prisoner in a series of quicktime events, and then you spend the rest of the level (or maybe even the rest of the game? But I think just the level) teamed up with the victim of your torture as an ally.