Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

American McGay posted:

I think that's the point?

If Nintendo remade Bob-omb Battlefield in Odyssey nerds would be tripping over themselves to praise them for it.

They remade Whomp’s Fortress for Galaxy 2 complete with a recorded backing track, it owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm struggling to understand the mindset that seeing frantic battles coming ruins the Doom experience

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I preferred Doom when it was keycard mazes

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I love all the doom games. Each one is goated

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I love all the doom games. Each one is goated
The levels in Doom 2 are long and bad but it's still fun.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

they keep adding free levels to the ports. so good

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Sakurazuka posted:

this

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

McCracAttack posted:

(One of) the biggest problems is it makes PC games run like dog poo poo. The PC version of Resident Evil 8 ran like garbage. But shortly after pirated versions started showing up that ran fine. The only difference was Denuvo had been cracked and then stripped out.

So if Denuvo does that to games running on a PC imagine what it will do to games running on Switch.

Yeah, i don't remember what YouTube channel showed it, but apparently it will eat 10-20% of your fps

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah, i don't remember what YouTube channel showed it, but apparently it will eat 10-20% of your fps

Sounds like a skill issue

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm struggling to understand the mindset that seeing frantic battles coming ruins the Doom experience

Well, there's a whole bunch of exploration involved in the originals and, to a slightly lesser extent, 2016. From what I'm hearing there's way less of that in Eternal. Some people like the change, some dislike it, and some don't care. Seems pretty simple to understand.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Kin posted:

Eh, it's quite a bit weaker than Doom 2016.

The "arena shooter" to "platforming" gameplay loop is so obvious that it starts to get quite repetitive and a bit dull.

There's no real exploration and larger integrated world design in the sense that there was in the first game, it's just 'oh this looks like an arena, oh it is an arena, [frantic enemy battle], there's my way out, let me just jump on all of these platforms, oh this looks like an arena...'

Even the levels are completely disconnected. You warp to each of them from a central hub.

It really comes down to what you want from a Doom game, but I found it tedious.

There's also a nearly unkillable enemy type, even on the easiest difficulty setting, because it has some sort of stupid shield IIRC. You have to kill it in a really awkward way.

its much better than 2016 lol

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I don't really think the level of exploration is any different between the two games. There's quite a few reasons (that I don't agree with fwiw) to prefer 2016 to eternal like ammo management, excessive platforming, soundtrack, long rear end levels but they both seem roughly equal in linearity

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
2016 also, in the visual design of the levels, is unbelievably lacking compared to eternal. 2016 is very much them making a safe new doom game and eternal is them letting loose and having fun with it.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Doom 3 is better than neon green spinning weapon purple goo bad platofrming eternal.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Sounds like a skill issue

"Frames win games™."
- Nvidia

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Dpulex posted:

Doom 3 is better than neon green spinning weapon purple goo bad platofrming eternal.

you are psychologically incapable of experience fun or joy so this checks out 100%

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think doom 2 is the best one as long as you include the user levels which is most of the point of playing doom 2 now

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Doom 2016 & Eternal own so much. Tempted to get them on Switch even though I played both on the PS4.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Dpulex posted:

neon green spinning weapon purple goo

Unreal Tournament when, you cowards?!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i pretty clearly liked 2016 ahead of Eternal because I didn't really enjoy the playstyle Eternal was going for but you should give it a shot because a lot of people liked it

doom 2 is still the goat but that depends on having user levels and also that's not really a fair comparision

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Sakurazuka posted:

And monster closets

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

doom 2 is still the goat but that depends on having user levels and also that's not really a fair comparision

True. Including the user levels and mods makes Doom 2, practically objectively, the best game ever made.

Some say it is, anyway.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
quake is better than doom. doom eternal is basically quake. solve for x.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Stux posted:

Well, I certainly like the sound of that

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Stux posted:

Well quake 2 is better than quake or doom eternal. Both are a million times worse than ut2k4

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

The Sonic Frontiers level is just a Green Hill themed reskin of the tutorial level in Unleashed

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
sorry specifically quake 3

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dpulex posted:

Well quake 2 is better than quake or doom eternal. Both are a million times worse than ut2k4

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Tracker_TD/status/1562182725095886849
lmao this game is going to suck rear end

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Dpulex posted:

OG UT was great because they had elimination mode. The trick was to find a map with a room with one entrance, charge up the green slime gun, have your character lay down, and wait for an unfortunate soul to get slimed.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Araxxor posted:

https://twitter.com/Irdeto/status/1562384806843133953

Ah yes, the DRM that shits on performance on PC games, being put on the powerhouse of a console, the Switch. Surely this won't be something pirates and emulation enthusiasts get around anyways while only punishing legitimate customers.

So is there any chance of Nintendo using this in their games, or patching older games to use it?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

no point patching older games

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Umm more like de-no-no?

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Stux posted:

it wont stop this lol

It might, until about three days after the release date.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Willo567 posted:

So is there any chance of Nintendo using this in their games, or patching older games to use it?

0% chance of patching older games (the unpatched roms are already out there, why spend the dev time?)

It doesn’t seem like their style to use a third party tool like that for new games, I’d expect an inhouse drm if they felt the need for one. I guess it’s not impossible but I think if we see it used it’ll be in stuff like ubisoft titles.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They should bring back cool DRM, like when Earthbound deleted your saves right before the ending if you pirated

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

American McGay posted:

The levels in Doom 2 are long and bad but it's still fun.

i played through Doom 2 for the first time probably ever last week and those middle section city levels are certainly a bit of a low point but its still great

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Stux posted:

theyre both good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
id rather play plutonia than vanilla doom 2 because it has better designed and shorter levels that are very fun to play while most of doom 2's levels are bad

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 24, 2022