Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

fadam posted:

What’s the most recent black card that’s seeing a lot of play? Pita?

Dauthi Voidwalker was last year as well in MH 2 but I don’t recall the exact dates. I’m sure I’m forgetting something newer that sees decent play, but voidwalker has a pretty big impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

ilmucche posted:

what's the best commander in commander

Najeela or Kennrith, with shout outs to Winota, in terms of decks that actually use their commanders as part of the strategy, rather than just for card draw and color identity

A Farm style deck is excellent, but it can be done with Tymna/Thrasios or Malcom/Vial Smasher or Ikra/Kraum or Tymna/Kraum or Will/Lucas... and so it's less of a "best commander" and more of a "most easily achieved win condition"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Persist, Unmarked Grave, Archon of Cruelty, Anvil, Onbixilis, Meathook Massacre, are the ones I can think of off hand.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

The Elder Dragon War 2RR

Enchantment- Saga

Read ahead

I | The Elder Dragon War deals 2 damage to each creature and each opponent.

II | Discard any number of cards, then draw that many cards.

III | Create a 4/4 red Dragon creature token with flying.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Strong Sauce posted:

The Elder Dragon War 2RR

Enchantment- Saga

Read ahead

I | The Elder Dragon War deals 2 damage to each creature and each opponent.

II | Discard any number of cards, then draw that many cards.

III | Create a 4/4 red Dragon creature token with flying.

I expected something splashier and more expensive

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Somebody is going to make bird tribal with ledger shredder and the baby phoenix

I have been thinking about this for standard... are there any specific Bird synergies

Edit: oh phoenix chick is a Phoenix, naturally... I was definitely seeing the Ledger Shredder synergy though, I had an Izzet Prison shell that used Fable and Overcharged Amalgam to lock opponents out, I wonder if that could still work

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 24, 2022

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ilmucche posted:

what's the best commander in commander

None of them.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Goa Tse-tung posted:

the blue one

Thanks to Sakashima, Tynma is the blue one.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/GoatBots/status/1562499221793648640

Insider trading...

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Here's that white lord

Soldiers includes Thalia, Brutal Cathar, Cathar Commando, and some neat looking figures in dmu.

It does not include Hopeful Initiate, which ruins everything.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wait, why would buying the old ones are their pre-reprint prices be a good idea?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Aphrodite posted:

Wait, why would buying the old ones are their pre-reprint prices be a good idea?

Because the enemy ones are becoming standard and pioneer legal

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
do the mh2 etched retro frame foils curl up? thinking about buying some of the fetches but dont want to get dqed

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh right, duh.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Time posted:

do the mh2 etched retro frame foils curl up? thinking about buying some of the fetches but dont want to get dqed

I haven't noticed on the few I got.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Time posted:

do the mh2 retro frame foils curl up? thinking about buying some but dont want to get dqed

My RCOE and FoV retro foils havent.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
gracias

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Lone Goat posted:

why.... what?

Every other expansion or so there's some white mythic or rare that has a white-only casting cost, but some ability cost or payoff that only benefits multicolored. No other color seems to have this, it's only white.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
multicolor is base green a lot more often

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I mean domain by necessity is going to have single-color cards that want to be in multicolored decks. I don’t think you can really single out white in this case, unless you were talking about a card that isn’t the banishing-light-esque enchantment above

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

White's the colour of unity so I guess that's why Tazri and Kyodai and Kenrith exist

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
It's so that even 5 color decks need mana crypt and jeweled lotus.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
Checking Scryfall, there are 12 black-bordered cards since M15 that are monocolor but have a 5c identity: five are white (Kenrith, Kyodai, MH1 Sisay, both Tazris), one's blue (Prism Array), two are red (Najeela, Widespread Thieving), and the last four are green (Courier's Briefcase, Esika, Go-Shintai, and Path to the World Tree).

So white legitimately does have more pseudo-5c cards than other colors and all of those cards are relatively memorable legendary creatures instead of draft chaff like Prism Array or Briefcase. Still, it's such a tiny number of cards overall that it hardly seems worth getting hung up on it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Tulul posted:

Checking Scryfall, there are 12 black-bordered cards since M15 that are monocolor but have a 5c identity: five are white (Kenrith, Kyodai, MH1 Sisay, both Tazris), one's blue (Prism Array), two are red (Najeela, Widespread Thieving), and the last four are green (Courier's Briefcase, Esika, Go-Shintai, and Path to the World Tree).

So white legitimately does have more pseudo-5c cards than other colors and all of those cards are relatively memorable legendary creatures instead of draft chaff like Prism Array or Briefcase. Still, it's such a tiny number of cards overall that it hardly seems worth getting hung up on it.

There's so many possibilities for what those cards could be, one could have even been a in a top tier deck! (please ignore the card that was in a deck that was so top tier, the deck got banned)

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Tulul posted:

It was cool that we got five colour commanders that you didn’t have to have five colours to cast, but it seems like they’re moving away from that.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Those legendary creatures would be dog's poo poo if they cost WUBRG instead, and all of them but Kyodai an Kenny are for legitimately 5 color themes.

Kenny is a buy a box anyway so his slot is arbitrary!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's actually very bad for commander when powerful 5c commanders can be cast without any fixing or other difficulty. It's a big part of why Golos got banned.

More colors should exchange the greater access to more powerful cards for the downside of having more difficult mana.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Why doesn't Jodah have flying? :colbert:

Also, Legendary cascade? Really?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

AlternateNu posted:

Why doesn't Jodah have flying? :colbert:

He's trying to connect with people, be a more down-to-earth kinda guy.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

The Shortest Path posted:

It's actually very bad for commander when powerful 5c commanders can be cast without any fixing or other difficulty. It's a big part of why Golos got banned.

More colors should exchange the greater access to more powerful cards for the downside of having more difficult mana.

Maro said that they were designing those 5c commanders for Brawl, not commander - they wanted Brawl to always have at least one 5c commander available and weren't really thinking about how it could affect commander until people (read: Sheldon) started complaining

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Idk, the most fun games of commander I’ve played have had 4c and 5c commanders in the pod. It’s more fun to play with lots of colours than fewer colours.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Time posted:

Everything I've got from MH2 has been sitting naked on my desk ever since I pulled them and not even the normal foils have slightly curled. Still completely flat!

We'll see if they can keep that up.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Framboise posted:

Everything I've got from MH2 has been sitting naked on my desk ever since I pulled them and not even the normal foils have slightly curled. Still completely flat!

We'll see if they can keep that up.

I wouldn't go that far: My regular foils are bent in half

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
My foils have curled into themselves and ended up flat again, but inverted.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's more Plated than Basking...

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Has anyone done a convention mystery booster draft? I've never drafted in person and I figure it would be a little more relaxed than a standard set draft.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

People on reddit et al have been saying that this set is underpowered and maybe that's true from a older format perspective but the commons and uncommons in this set are extremely powerful. This is gonna be one of the strongest limited environments we've had in a while and I might reinstall arena just to draft it.
I've bought the last two set's 50 dollar draft/sealed token/mastery etc bundles and wound up not drafting them at all so I've got all those tokens hoarded for this set, can't wait :getin:

Time posted:

etched foils don't curl at all, they're excellent in that regard and superior to normal foils because of it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

HootTheOwl posted:

I wouldn't go that far: My regular foils are bent in half

I do live in the humid armpit of the midwest aka Indiana, so that may be relevant. Dry heat is not a thing here.

Regardless, it's a substantial improvement over, say, Commander Legends, where cards came outright bent right out of the pack.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

MasterBuilder posted:

Has anyone done a convention mystery booster draft? I've never drafted in person and I figure it would be a little more relaxed than a standard set draft.

I guess relaxed in that rare drafting is even more the norm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

MasterBuilder posted:

This is working off of my memories of a pre-pandemic convention, but it was a great time! Some of the playtest cards are absurd (Form of the Mulldrifter, I'm looking at you). But while the draft portion was really fun, being at a magic convention means that people are going to be more into the game than at your LGS imo (also, I think some people just repeatedly jammed mystery booster draft while I was there, which didn't help). The most intense magic game I've ever had was one of my mystery booster draft matches, which I won only by topdecking an Absorb Vis while dead on board.

But also I was really trying to win my matches, so I think this might've been self-inflicted. If you specifically go in with a more relaxed mindset, I think your opponents will pick up on that (one of the benefits of playing magic irl). I'm also assuming you've done drafts online -- I wouldn't really recommend it for someone who's new to drafting. But you should definitely do at least one

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Aug 25, 2022