Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
One Shot did an AP of it ages ago- I don't remember if it's good, but it's there if you want to hear it played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Splicer posted:

You have 10 sticks of gum and a d10. To succeed at kicking rear end you start chewing a stick of gum or roll over your remaining gum. To succeed at anything else you start chewing a stick of gum or roll under your remaining gum. IIRC in both cases you can choose to start chewing the gum after failing a roll.

Eventually you need to describe everything (opening doors, talking to people, handling fine china) in terms of kicking rear end. Because you're all outta bubblegum.

Think nice Marines except you start the game competent and end the game trying to talk around ten sticks of gum in your mouth.

e: obviously that last part is an excuse to do stallone impressions

Well that sounds profoundly my poo poo. Big, dumb, funny, novel resolution mechanic : just like me.

Thanks!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xiahou Dun posted:

Well that sounds profoundly my poo poo. Big, dumb, funny, novel resolution mechanic : just like me.

Thanks!
I got a few of the specifics wrong, here's the full proper rules:

All Outta Bubblegum posted:

All Outta Bubblegum

This game is copyright 2001, Michael "Epoch" Sullivan and Jeffrey Grant. If you want to repost it or whatever, drop me an email.

Characters in All Outta Bubblegum have one stat -- Bubblegum.
It's technically a number which varies from 0 through 8,though the designers highly, highly recommend that you don't do anything so banal as write down a number, and, instead, pass out actual sticks of bubblegum to the players. This will also help when you play All Outta Bubblegum drunk, which is,let's be blunt, probably the only time you'd even consider playing this game.

Bubblegum always starts out at 8.

Resolution

Any action which does not fall under the broad category of "kicking rear end" is resolved by rolling a d10. If the number rolled isequal to or less than the amount of bubblegum the character has left, then the character succeeds in his task.

Any action which falls under the broad umbrella of "kicking rear end" is also resolved by rolling a d10. However, in this case, youwish to roll greater than the amount of bubblegum that you have left.

Losing Bubblegum

Whenever you fail a non-combat roll, you lose a stick of Bubblegum. You may also sacrifice a stick of Bubblegum before theroll to ensure success.

Bubblegum also rates your damage. If someone else succeeds in a roll of asskicking against you, you lose one stick of bubblegum.

Zero Bubblegum

When you lose your last stick of bubblegum, you are officially all outta bubblegum. You may no longer attempt any kind of non-asskicking activity. Simple devices like, say, the handles of doors confound you (eerily enough, you have no problem field-stripping a .50 caliber machinegun to clear a jam in 15 seconds flat). However, you automatically succeed in any asskicking-related activity. You are a nearly unstoppable ball of bubblegum-less fury. When someone else succeeds in an asskicking roll against you, they roll a d10. If they roll a 10, you are knocked out. If they roll a 1 through 9, they've only succeeded in making you, if possible, even more angry.

However, bear in mind that it's relatively easy to trap a zero-bubblegum person in a situation he's totally incapable of dealing with.
(I have not sent him an email but the official site has vanished from the internet)

Jamming our mouths full of gum was apparently not actually required? But highly recommended.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 23, 2022

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Splicer posted:

Jamming our mouths full of gum was apparently not actually required? But highly recommended.

"Oh, hang on guys, sorry. I've just read here, you don't actually have to eat the gum."

"Rrrm rm RRMMMRM? Rmm rm RMRMMY RMRMMK!"

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Splicer posted:

Nah, that's clearly a test.

If you don't shove the gum in your mouth, you're not cool enough to play. And I absolutely hate gum.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What are the influences and spiritual predecessors of Spell Jammer? Flash Gordon, that one I know. And Buck Rogers? What would be recommended examples of both? Any particular prog rock album? Movie? Are there any well regarded novels in Spell Jammer itself?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Jack B Nimble posted:

What are the influences and spiritual predecessors of Spell Jammer? Flash Gordon, that one I know. And Buck Rogers? What would be recommended examples of both? Any particular prog rock album? Movie? Are there any well regarded novels in Spell Jammer itself?

Pirates. IN SPAAAAAAAACE.

Well, Ice Pirates. Any 18th/19th century British Adventure naval book (for the Imperial Elven Navy). The Sharpe novels for the Giff, along with Flashman novels.

Someone should remake ZULU with Hippo's - might work as a cartoon.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

fez_machine posted:

For more info she's been tweeting about it:
https://twitter.com/JennaKMoran/status/1561908024637214720

It's heavily based on "Fields of Gold: Financing the Global Land Rush," by Madeleine Fairbairn and it's poetry because that's table gameable work unlike growing fruits and veg

Just finished reading this, holy poo poo. Funniest and bleakest game I've read in a quite a while.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I think Spellammer only had one mediocre series where they do a grand tour of the major settings. I had these at one time, iirc, but that was a long time ago and I could have imagined this. (It may have been a module series, not novels.)

I can't really figure out where a lot of the basic ideas came from. It's very novel, which is one of the things I like about it.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
growing up I really liked CyberGeneration which was CyberPunk 2020 but Teenagers, Theme Gangs, & Magic via Nanites. Setting is kind of neat, but the system is still Cyberpunk 2020 which is very very 90s.

Does anyone if there was a modern game that hits those same themes?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I actually read a Jack Vance novel, The Chasch, that had touches of some of the elements of Spell Jammer in it; it's about an earth astronaut stranded on a alien world that mixes humans and aliens, swords and high technology, ruined cities, etc.

There's some sort of term for the aesthetic that's shared by Rifts, Samurai Jack, etc, but I'm not well versed enough to recall it off hand. Pulp Sci Fi Fantasy? It shares a lot with 70's prog rock and Spell Jammer evokes a lot of that while also adding a lot of whimsy I'd associate with children's stories. For seem reason I cant shake the feeling that the flying sailing ships is straight out peter pan, even though I know that I've only ever seen the Disney animated film and it doesn't happen there.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Planetary romance, I suppose.

Have you gotten to The Wankh yet?

Nystral posted:

Does anyone if there was a modern game that hits those same themes?
Off the top of my head, Dream Askew.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jack B Nimble posted:

I actually read a Jack Vance novel, The Chasch, that had touches of some of the elements of Spell Jammer in it; it's about an earth astronaut stranded on a alien world that mixes humans and aliens, swords and high technology, ruined cities, etc.
There is actually an official GURPS adaptation of that book (and its sequels).

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I love the random assortment of novel licenses that GURPS had. I never would have heard of War Against The Chtorr or the Vorkosigan Saga if it weren't for their GURPS sourcebooks.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I absolutely need a GURPS sourcebook to run my Book of the New Sun campaign. Am I supposed to come up with stats for a brain-eating time-traveling torturer Jesus emperor myself?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
What is the biggest IP that's never had a licensed tabletop RPG? I'm thinking Harry Potter or Mass Effect.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Does Disney have some sort of official TTRPG?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I don't think Mass Effect is even in the top 20 video game franchises. Hell, it's probably outstripped by some lootbox mobile game I've never heard of. Harry Potter is definitely way up there, but the absolute most profitable franchises tend to be so omnipresent that we don't even think about them, like Hello Kitty and Mickey Mouse.

If you count any tabletop game, the list gets narrower since I'm sure there have been Mario and Call of Duty board games at some point, to say nothing of e.g. Disney Princesses.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 24, 2022

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

There's a Disney skirmish game now, right? Or at least an Underworlds-alike: https://theop.games/products/disney-sorcerers-arena-epic-alliances-core-set

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't think Mass Effect is even in the top 20 video game franchises. Hell, it's probably outstripped by some lootbox mobile game I've never heard of. Harry Potter is definitely way up there, but the absolute most profitable franchises tend to be so omnipresent that we don't even think about them, like Hello Kitty and Mickey Mouse.

If you count any tabletop game, the list gets narrower since I'm sure there have been Mario and Call of Duty board games at some point, to say nothing of e.g. Disney Princesses.

That's a good point. I guess I could/should rephrase the question as "What's the IP that's most surprising as not having a TTRPG?"

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

This might not be the biggest ips out there but I was always surpriased no one tried to make rpgs out of Hyperion Cantos or Black Company (I guess we have band of blades).

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

So Mystic Mongol last night made an off-hand comment about a goblin raised by elves over in the D&D 5.5 thread, and it sort of inspired me to get off my rear end and actually at least try to do a thing finally instead of just sitting around being a snarky dick.

I play with my niece and nephew a lot, so here's The Prettiest Goblins' First Party. A game about being goblins raised by elves getting ready for their first elf-cotillion. It's not done because I have no idea what I'm doing and am a hack and a fraud, but it's got an initial set up and a resolution mechanic. I still need to do some monkeying around with it (obviously), the big ones being that I need to add some charts as improv prompts and I want to do some actual play testing for the resolution mechanic. (I'm waiting until the weekend when I can sit the kids down and make them put on costume jewelry with a stopwatch. I'm just deciding how long a timer to set with time measured in group chants of ONE GOBLIN PARTY, TWO GOBLIN PARTY.) Plus the obvious formatting and pretty-making you'd expect. Gonna need to pull out GIMP to give it some color too.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KXp8FwPhLU30uvuGoPTQ5Zj9pHZa4lbV/view?usp=sharing

It's rough as all get out, I know, sorry. I just wanted to at least try to get something together that I can get criticism on, so if you don't mind I'd appreciate it.

Edit : one sec, that’s an older draft because I screwed up migrating between Google Drive accounts to not doxx myself. Should be fixed.

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 24, 2022

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

That's a good point. I guess I could/should rephrase the question as "What's the IP that's most surprising as not having a TTRPG?"

Dragon Ball

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Plutonis posted:

Dragon Ball

That exists though

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Plutonis posted:

Dragon Ball

We got one of those in the period where DBZ was just Saiyan and Freiza sagas on repeat: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Z:_The_Anime_Adventure_Game

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lumbermouth posted:

We got one of those in the period where DBZ was just Saiyan and Freiza sagas on repeat: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Z:_The_Anime_Adventure_Game

Ah yeah gently caress I remembered that. Uhh One Piece then?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Covermeinsunshine posted:

This might not be the biggest ips out there but I was always surpriased no one tried to make rpgs out of Hyperion Cantos or Black Company (I guess we have band of blades).
There absolutely was a Black Company D20 supplement

Comedy option: there was an official GURPS adaptation for Bungie's Myth RTS game series, whose setting was clearly Black-Company-with-the-serial-numbers-filed-off.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FMguru posted:

Yup I got a copy. The rules are uh weird.

But on the plus side you actually get, like, a map of the setting.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

I absolutely need a GURPS sourcebook to run my Book of the New Sun campaign. Am I supposed to come up with stats for a brain-eating time-traveling torturer Jesus emperor myself?
Stat blocks for stuff that appears in the novels is just about all GURPS New Sun has to offer. It offers the GM no help creating their own adventures, or evoking the mystery and wonder of posthistoric Urth.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

CitizenKeen posted:

I was going to say Transformers, but it's got one in the works.

I'm surprised that (as far as I know) none of the classic CRPG franchises have had official tabletop RPGs: Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Ultima, Might & Magic, Wizardry...especially Ultima, since it's clearly Richard Garriott's vision that spun out of his D&D campaign. I think Diablo was the first big franchise to be adapted.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

FMguru posted:

Comedy option: there was an official GURPS adaptation for Bungie's Myth RTS game series, whose setting was clearly Black-Company-with-the-serial-numbers-filed-off.

I would play the GURPS Myth version instead as that contains notably less rape and pedophilia on behalf of the protagonists than the Black Company.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

mellonbread posted:

Stat blocks for stuff that appears in the novels is just about all GURPS New Sun has to offer. It offers the GM no help creating their own adventures, or evoking the mystery and wonder of posthistoric Urth.
I think the best way to generate a New Sun adventure would require an OSRish approach, taking a bunch of weird poo poo rolled on random tables and putting them into a Mad Lib. You meet :rolldice: your undead grandmother in a :rolldice: nature preserve while search for a :rolldice: flower-whip so that you can :rolldice: win a duel with :rolldice: a mysterious knight.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Im sort of surprised Bethesda never made or licensed an Elder Scrolls TTRPG.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Pokemon is massively popular and profitable, regularly branches into weird territory wrt spinoff brands, and has a unique setting, so it's a bit surprising.

Digimon is a lot less popular (though still doing fine) but is even more surprising given how much they like to make it seem like a more mature franchise with its spinoffs.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Halloween Jack posted:

I think the best way to generate a New Sun adventure would require an OSRish approach, taking a bunch of weird poo poo rolled on random tables and putting them into a Mad Lib. You meet :rolldice: your undead grandmother in a nature preserve while search for a :rolldice: flower-whip so that you can :rolldice: win a duel with :rolldice: a mysterious knight.

Lmao

You are a :rolldice: torturer who can :rolldice: resurrect the dead and lives in a :rolldice: spaceship

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Countblanc posted:

Pokemon is massively popular and profitable, regularly branches into weird territory wrt spinoff brands, and has a unique setting, so it's a bit surprising.

Digimon is a lot less popular (though still doing fine) but is even more surprising given how much they like to make it seem like a more mature franchise with its spinoffs.

Pokemon got an offical RP game (Pokemon Jr. Adventure Game), actually! Wizco did it and everything.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Countblanc posted:

It actually got one, the Pokemon Jr. Adventure Game. Very short-lived.

Give me an E!

Give me an F!

Give me a B!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Godzilla? Feels like something someone would look at, although my impressions of the higher ups at Toei are that they are even more prehistoric than the big scaly guy himself so maybe it's not that surprising.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
James Cameron's Avatar has never gotten an official TTRPG...at least I don't think it has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

The Deleter posted:

Godzilla? Feels like something someone would look at, although my impressions of the higher ups at Toei are that they are even more prehistoric than the big scaly guy himself so maybe it's not that surprising.

How would this work? Would you play as a giant monster? Or would you be one of the human characters who engage with the often-crazy human scale plot while a monster attack happens in the background? Like you're a scientist trying to stop Atlanteans stealing your robot schematic, or a PI busting up a diamond smuggling ring, or a journalist protecting a foreign dignitary/psychic Martian from assassins or whatever, and occasionally you have to dodge some falling building rubble?