Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Bremen posted:

If it looks interesting to you, go for it. It's actually one of the funner games I've played lately and I think the genre being niche is the only reason it's not a bigger hit.

Already bought! There's something about how weird-looking and scif-fi and ambitious it is, kind of appeals to the SMAC-appreciator in me. Although I guess it's more like the Spartan faction on Planet than anything else.

alarumklok posted:

Shadow Empire owns. Go to their janky rear end official forums and download the card art mod, the artist is loving fantastic and it's a huge step up from programmer art

Thank you! One of the worst things about buying a game like this is knowing that it probably needs mods and having no energy to figure out which ones are actually worth the time.

edit: wow their forum is slow.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

LLSix posted:

In Shadow Empires, it's pretty easy to deadlock your economy on the very first turn. I forget what the recommended build order is to get started.

If you don't have metal build or buy a steady supply. Metal mine or recycling operation, don't forget to buy machines. Industry is a good second choice.

Playing from tech level...4? the second one. Gets you a decent starting city, with no fear of missing out on discovering solar panels by completing 3 researches.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Would anyone be interested in playing some low stakes terrible Broodwar? I haven't played since middle school, but I want to get back into it.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

habituallyred posted:

If you don't have metal build or buy a steady supply. Metal mine or recycling operation, don't forget to buy machines. Industry is a good second choice.

Playing from tech level...4? the second one. Gets you a decent starting city, with no fear of missing out on discovering solar panels by completing 3 researches.

If you're on the default low tech start with a planet without a biosphere or water you pretty much have to focus on water -> food -> metal. It isn't obvious but you need food to feed your workers, not your total population (civs are assumed to produce their own food), so jumping straight into metal can death spiral your economy as you hire on thousands of workers without enough food to feed them.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Oh man I tried a Regiments skirmish as Belgium against a Soviet Tank Guards Regiment. That was rough.

Sure I get a lot of Leo 1's, but they might as well not have armor, and I never got more than a 55% pen chance against the Soviet T-64's even at point blank. And they also had a fuckin lot of 'em.

No attack chopper to be had in any of the supplemental task forces, either. I was left using infantry and tracked ATGM carriers (all hail the Swingfire) as my main punching power, while an endless swarm of Leo's that just soaked up enemy fire, well, they did good work against APC's, I guess.

It was a hard scrabble match, and I fought hard for every point I captured. In the end I lost almost 100 vehicles and barely eked out the win. Good times.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

How is Regiments compared to Warno?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

It has somewhat lower production value, especially in the sound department. No MP is a bummer as the game is a bit too simple with just the AI since its behavior pattern can get a bit samey. I find it fun enough if you want more games of this type.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

A bit slower paced, and quite a bit smaller scale. I rarely have more than a dozen platoons on the field at a time, which means I can actually keep track of what's going on. I'm greatly enjoying it, and also wish it had multiplayer.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Music for Tempest Rising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dwQGUNRKFk

They definitely got the C&C music feel right.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

can't disagree I guess, that's about as close to Hell March/No Mercy/Act on Instinct as you can get without actually being a cover medley :v:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
We'll truly know if there's a Mammoth/Devastator/Overlord. This includes the Mk2.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Bloodly posted:

We'll truly know if there's a Mammoth/Devastator/Overlord. This includes the Mk2.

I will not stand for this Apocalypse erasure.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Some...real inept playing of Tempest Rising timestamped.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAFLeASPhPc&t=20289s
Looks real C&C and I am here for that. From info I've scrounged together, it does sound like it'll have Generals Powers and faction Doctrines tho.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

New homeworld trailer and it looks very good.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mordja posted:

Some...real inept playing of Tempest Rising timestamped.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAFLeASPhPc&t=20289s
Looks real C&C and I am here for that. From info I've scrounged together, it does sound like it'll have Generals Powers and faction Doctrines tho.

I don't think I've seen anyone play an RTS by clicking the actual Move button since the 90s

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 24, 2022

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Another new RTS, this one from Petroglyph. It's a WW1 game, I think with turn-based/grand strategy elements?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqeVmwUaKRE

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
More of that TR mission from the actual devs, sounds like there's some amount of RPG stuff going on between maps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6Gq7AFlTBA&t=22194s
E:Oh, and one of them blabbed that the third factions isn't alien, human, or vegetable.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 25, 2022

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
That is extremely up my alley, hell yeah.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Age of Empires IV has a free weekend on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1466860/Age_of_Empires_IV/

I'm planning to try it. I'm surprised to see it on sale for $30 so soon.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Mordja posted:

Another new RTS, this one from Petroglyph. It's a WW1 game, I think with turn-based/grand strategy elements?

saved terrain deformation is p cool

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mordja posted:

Why does it look weirdly stuttery?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Tiny Timbs posted:

Why does it look weirdly stuttery?

I think they're going for a film or stop motion effect

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

VostokProgram posted:

I think they're going for a film or stop motion effect

Interesting. It kind of makes my brain itch watching it.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...

LLSix posted:

Age of Empires IV has a free weekend on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1466860/Age_of_Empires_IV/

I'm planning to try it. I'm surprised to see it on sale for $30 so soon.

It’s a good game, but they hosed up hard in trying to woo the hardcore AoE 2 players over without doing enough to bring in new players. It wound up in this unsatisfying middle with no player base seems like with the new expansion and now this they’re trying to breathe some life back in

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

DarthRoblox posted:

It’s a good game, but they hosed up hard in trying to woo the hardcore AoE 2 players over without doing enough to bring in new players. It wound up in this unsatisfying middle with no player base seems like with the new expansion and now this they’re trying to breathe some life back in

It's a perfectly fine RTS, but yeah, it's just okay. Not really interesting enough for me to want to keep playing.

I do appreciate that all of the battles in the first, English, campaign, are a series of senseless family squabbles.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Those who have played Regiments - can you rename units/divisions/battalions etc that you have / requisition?
Is there a persistent carry over of units and veterancy between missions?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Iymarra posted:

Those who have played Regiments - can you rename units/divisions/battalions etc that you have / requisition?
Is there a persistent carry over of units and veterancy between missions?

Rename: No.
Carry-over: Yes(ish). Each Operation has multiple phases, and experience and losses carry forward through the various phases. However Operations are discrete things with no carry-over between them.

Think of Operations as chapters in the ongoing story of the escalation of the conflict, you switch regiments each one and the story unfolds. It's pretty cool, honestly.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 30, 2022

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

regiments has some great theming/'fluff'

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Finally picked up that Starship Troopers RTS. It's fun! A big emphasis on positioning since most units can't just shoot through one another unless they've got grenade launchers or are physically higher up. Very little basebuilding and no real resourcing (you're basically just juggling around different unit caps) if that's what you're looking for, however. And for anyone wondering if the devs got the satirical side of things, well in one mission you're chasing down a mining union leader and defending a prison base so that his execution can be televised live. :v:

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
There's even a mission where an optional objective is getting a fancy specially-colored mech and have it kill bugs for propaganda purposes. It even has an special AI camera crew squad (complete with one of them having a camera "gun"!) that follows it around at a short distance!

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Mordja posted:

Finally picked up that Starship Troopers RTS. It's fun! A big emphasis on positioning since most units can't just shoot through one another unless they've got grenade launchers or are physically higher up. Very little basebuilding and no real resourcing (you're basically just juggling around different unit caps) if that's what you're looking for, however. And for anyone wondering if the devs got the satirical side of things, well in one mission you're chasing down a mining union leader and defending a prison base so that his execution can be televised live. :v:

The obvious disparity between the propaganda briefings and the actual situation on the ground is hilarious at times. My favorite part is the briefing where you see a map with a tiny green zone with like "this is us" and all around it is a huge red zone saying "Bug containment zone".

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Starship Troopers RTS was fun. I wish it had gotten some more polish and more interesting variation in the unit designs but it has a nice, lengthy campaign with fun levels.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I just remembered that I impulse bought ICBM a few months ago. Does anyone have any tips about learning or playing this game?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

im_sorry posted:

I just remembered that I impulse bought ICBM a few months ago. Does anyone have any tips about learning or playing this game?

the in game tutorial is pretty good, and this guy has a few good intro/tips videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTCyBmwPFPs

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Tiny Timbs posted:

The Starship Troopers RTS was fun. I wish it had gotten some more polish and more interesting variation in the unit designs but it has a nice, lengthy campaign with fun levels.

They just released a roadmap and it looks like they are planning on supporting it for a while. I plan on picking up the DLCs when they are released because this game was a lot of fun.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've found the unit abilities to be varied and fun to use, though in a lot of cases one does just seem more useful than the other.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
SoaSE2 is finally coming out, in Early Access...on the Epic Games Store. Which means by the time it hits actual release it'll probably be on Steam et al.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Oh gently caress yes

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Mordja posted:

SoaSE2 is finally coming out, in Early Access...on the Epic Games Store. Which means by the time it hits actual release it'll probably be on Steam et al.

Hell, it's about time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Now we just need sword of the stars 3: Please forgive us edition.