Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Saint Freak posted:

I've had a bent c clip can feel like it's sticking/giving in certain directions. Talking like, noticeably bent to the point where it is visibly not flat.

Thanks, that is definitely worth looking at, I was pretty rough on the little bastard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

RichterIX posted:

I have a sort of odd question-- last night I installed a JLF into my Qanba Drone and something feels a little off compared to the JLF in my ancient MadCatz TE. When I push the stick all the way to the gate, it feels like something "gives" a tiny bit. If I push in the same direction again it doesn't do it, but then if I push it in the opposite direction it does again, so it feels like something inside is shifting slightly under pressure from the stick. The gate feels solid so I'm wondering if it's the actuator moving slightly? I did take the JLF apart to replace the spring with a heavier one so I don't know if I hosed something up on reassembly or what. It also might just be that the Drone itself is not nearly as solid as my TE stick was.

Not a big deal and doesn't really affect play at all, I'm just slightly curious as to what I hosed uo

c-clip?

e: fb

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:

Medullah posted:

I actually went all in and got a Gameroomsolutions 4 player cabinet.

My god. Look at this monster. Amazing.

Are you looking for something that feels like US controls or JP? If you want something that feels like old US joysticks/HAPP stuff, I think the brand you want is Industrias Lorenzo, but they seem to be a pain to get a hold of right now. I think they used to be the supplier for HAPP but I can't find anything to confirm it, so I might have just been misremembering someone recommending them. Most sticks with a heavy spring and the bat top should cover it though.

HerniaFlange fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 27, 2022

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Thirsty Dog posted:

There's a surprising lack of "small but not really low profile" STLs for hitbox style controllers. I have a full size one and love it, but my girlfriend is looking for something smaller and I'd love to get something printed out so I can build one for her.

Thirsty Dog posted:

It would be great if you could! I don't have a printer myself but know enough people who are willing to print stuff for a small fee that it's worth me trying. Having already built a full size hitbox I know what I'm doing with the rest of it.

Hey i'm still working on this fyi! Just did a test fit:

Uses full sized MX switches and is only 5mm taller than the last version with Kailhs! I just have some tweaking to do before I get the STLs ready for sharing, thanks for your patience.

I'll also probably sell a few, maybe on SA-mart, now that I have the process down pat oh my god i am literally buried in prototype shells help me oh no they're all sliding i think it's an avalanche tell my family i love the

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I'll also probably sell a few, maybe on SA-mart, now that I have the process down pat oh my god i am literally buried in prototype shells help me oh no they're all sliding i think it's an avalanche tell my family i love the

Dibs on the printer if it's found in the rubble.

That texture looks really nice, with the silver trim it looks like an old school briefcase.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Thank you! I used a rough build surface for this one since PETG catches the light in a nice way if you give it a texture.

This thing specifically, it's heck of cheap and double sided.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Hey i'm still working on this fyi! Just did a test fit:

Uses full sized MX switches and is only 5mm taller than the last version with Kailhs! I just have some tweaking to do before I get the STLs ready for sharing, thanks for your patience.

Sweet!

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Considering reaching out to this guy who is making hitboxes out of pinewood. He mentions the wood is softer so it's likely to get dinged up, but are there any other concerns with using a soft wood for something like this?

Also anything to look out for in terms of parts used? I'm bad at fighting games but great at buying stuff I don't need.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Went to my first locals in a while and had a good time, hopefully I didn't catch anything. One guy has been having issues with his Hitbox, for some reason it's not connecting to newer revision PS4s, but it works fine on older ones and all the other platforms it's supposed to. It's the same Brook board that a couple of you posted earlier, he's updated the firmware and everything but still no dice, and he can't find anything about it on the internet. Any idea what might be causing it?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Cross posting from the general fighting game thread cause I couldn't find this one, but got my comm'd art for my snackbox micro and it looks awesome

(Artist: https://twitter.com/kujikawaii)

They do incredible work, and his sorta cartoony style is perfect for dumb ideas like "Litchi teaches a lesson on oki to jack-o." Great to work with and totally reasonable rates as well for completely custom pieces, highly recommended.

I think I remember someone mentioning that they had longevity issues with their micro, but this thing's held up great through travel and just general use

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

HerniaFlange posted:

My god. Look at this monster. Amazing.

Are you looking for something that feels like US controls or JP? If you want something that feels like old US joysticks/HAPP stuff, I think the brand you want is Industrias Lorenzo, but they seem to be a pain to get a hold of right now. I think they used to be the supplier for HAPP but I can't find anything to confirm it, so I might have just been misremembering someone recommending them. Most sticks with a heavy spring and the bat top should cover it though.

I never responded back, sorry. This is the finished product - I'm fine with P3 and P4 being standard ball tops but I'd like to add a bat top to replace the ball on P1 and P2. Just the top, the joystick is already a Sanwa

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Hey!
It Evo weekend so if anyone sees stick or part deals spam them all here for

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Hi y'all! Got a question wondering if anyone here has the easy answer please.
So my stick, Qanba Q4RAF, I've been using it for a bunch of games since MvC3 came out, still love it.

But, it came with the fancy PCB with the switch for 360 or PS3 mode, and now I have a PS5 and want to be ready for locals, how do I get it to work there? I have a Brooks PS3>PS4 adapter which worked fine, but was a total crapshoot if it worked period on PS5 games last I tried. Also I really like being able to switch it to Xinput for PC stuff. Is there a new PCB I should get and swap in that'll do similar Xinput / PS5 switching, maybe even reusing the physical switch? Would that work on PS4 too? I've payed almost no attention to sticks since getting this one cause I've always liked it and still works good as new, but should I think about new generation sticks are they cool and do new stuff? Saw an ad at Evo for maybe a Qanba or something with hot swappable ball and bat top which sounds like a neat gimmick maybe Tekken wouldn't be as annoying to play. Tia for any words of wisdom!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

If it's PS3/360 era this might not be an option, but it could be worth seeing if there's a firmware update for either your stick's PCB or the Brook adapter. PS5 fighting games SHOULD recognize PS4 sticks, at least official ones, but I'm not sure where the Brook adapters fall with that. You might also be able to get a more modern Brook adapter.

The PS5 UI itself works with most controllers, but PS5 games only work with non-Dualsense controllers if they're fighting games, and only if they're officially recognized sticks (other controllers like the Fighting Commander don't work).

This seems to be true with the PS5 Hori Fightstick Alpha too (only works in fighting games), I'm not sure what happens with the new Fight Commander that's made for PS5.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://focusattack.com/brook-up5-playstation-5-add-on/

some brook boards have support via a ps5 add on daughterboard

heres one of the main boards that support it

https://focusattack.com/brook-ps3-ps4-fighting-board-ps4-ps3-pc/

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

univbee posted:

If it's PS3/360 era this might not be an option, but it could be worth seeing if there's a firmware update for either your stick's PCB or the Brook adapter. PS5 fighting games SHOULD recognize PS4 sticks, at least official ones, but I'm not sure where the Brook adapters fall with that. You might also be able to get a more modern Brook adapter.

The PS5 UI itself works with most controllers, but PS5 games only work with non-Dualsense controllers if they're fighting games, and only if they're officially recognized sticks (other controllers like the Fighting Commander don't work).

This seems to be true with the PS5 Hori Fightstick Alpha too (only works in fighting games), I'm not sure what happens with the new Fight Commander that's made for PS5.

Unfortunately the Brook adapters don't show up as a licensed controller, so you can't use, say, a PS3 stick with a Brook PS3 to PS4 adapter on PS5 executables. Works fine on PS4 games running on a PS5 though.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

RichterIX posted:

Unfortunately the Brook adapters don't show up as a licensed controller, so you can't use, say, a PS3 stick with a Brook PS3 to PS4 adapter on PS5 executables. Works fine on PS4 games running on a PS5 though.

I suspect this will keep major in-person tournaments on PS4 Pro consoles, at least until PS5-only fighting games start showing up.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Ohhh OK, so in theory if I just stick with running the PS4 versions of games on the PS5 then my PS3>PS4 Brooks adapter should continue to work on there?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

teh_Broseph posted:

Ohhh OK, so in theory if I just stick with running the PS4 versions of games on the PS5 then my PS3>PS4 Brooks adapter should continue to work on there?

Yes, correct. PS4 versions of games running on a PS5 should work with the same controllers that running those games on a native PS4 do, the restriction on not recognizing is enforced in PS5 versions of software. I think Sony's gung-ho about making sure people only use DualSense controllers for sweet haptics, and only giving limited "official" other options.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Figured I'd ask you guys, not exactly a fight stick issue but you might know.

I added 3 admin buttons to the side of my cabinet and unfortunately the step drill bit was just a TINY bit too big. The buttons are in and work fine but if someone puts too much pressure on them they'll pop through.

Any recommendations for preventing that? I was thinking of putting some glue in the inside but not really sure what the best option there is.

Sadly the crack was like that when I got the cabinet, I just didn't think it was worth the effort to get the whole control panel replaced.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
You could get some joystick dust washers, and if you expand the hole in the center carefully, the body of the button could slip through the center, and the lip of the button would rest on the washer itself. That should give you enough support, and a surround just under the button lip to rest on the body of the control panel. You can even get them in different colors, so you could probably find them in blue to match the trim I see on your control panel. Give the buttons a nice two-tone look with a border.

Turbo cheapest way, just cut some small wooden tabs that you can glue in the holes that the buttons will rest against. So if anyone pushes too hard, the button will but up against the wooden tab and won't go in any further.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 14, 2022

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

yeah bring a button to home depot and find some washers to sit between the lip of the button top and the actual cabinet

using a hot gun gun in the drill hole too wouldnt hurt at all, but I'd use that to make sure it wasnt slipping out rather than actually hold in place

also can we get some pics of the full thing?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

yeah bring a button to home depot and find some washers to sit between the lip of the button top and the actual cabinet

using a hot gun gun in the drill hole too wouldnt hurt at all, but I'd use that to make sure it wasnt slipping out rather than actually hold in place

also can we get some pics of the full thing?

Thanks, good idea. Take a look up a bit in the page, I posted pics. :).

Just ordered a Sinden Light Gun for it too.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

oh poop i got confused lol

lemme know how the sinclair is- I bought a aimtrak like 7 years ago and melted the plastic with the recoil solenoid from playing too much t2 the arcade game

itd be nice to have a lightgun that had recoil and no wii lightbar. I just wanna play point blank 2

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

oh poop i got confused lol

lemme know how the sinclair is- I bought a aimtrak like 7 years ago and melted the plastic with the recoil solenoid from playing too much t2 the arcade game

itd be nice to have a lightgun that had recoil and no wii lightbar. I just wanna play point blank 2

Yeah a friend got one and LOVES it. Unfortunately it looks like it'll be September before it ships. I couldn't justify the cost of the foot pedal though. T2 is exactly the game I am looking forward to.

We played Golden Tee for about an hour last night, it was great

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i use a rando usb foot pedal i found on amazon

as long as it can be mapped in your emulator it'll work.

deffo need it for time crisis and virtua cop

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/HellaBrett/status/1561113406597263361?s=20&t=mJK70dTLy9ruZGcMWqQJvQ

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Is there such a thing as extension cables for arcade buttons to go to an encoder? I added some buttons to the side of my cabinet and the cables aren't long enough to reach the encoder if I try to connect them to the same one in the center.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Not sure if I've seen ready made extensions cables, but you could always snip the wires and solder in an extension wire. You could probably get the supplies you need at any hardware store for under $20. Cheapest soldering iron they have, some solder, and shrink tubing should be all you need, along with the bulk wire for extending.

That, or just make new longer wires. You'd just need the wire, and some quick-disconnects if that's the connection method.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 21, 2022

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I had been passing through the FG thread during the chat that spawned this thread... finally caught up now, thank you very much N4B!!!

I just picked up this (Microcenter-exclusive?!) multi-function stick: https://www.microcenter.com/product/639630/atari-single-player-usb-fightstick-plug-and-play.

It is big and ugly but pretty great for pinball, since the side buttons are close to the front and not recessed at all (plus the top of the stick has a "waterfall edge" if you will, with no lip overhang to get in the way). It's marketed as a Raspberry Pi product but naturally works on PC out of the box. But I'd really like to get it working on Switch too. I did try a Wingman NS converter (thought it might work since the stick apparently has PS3 support as well), but no dice.

I imagine I could swap out the board for something that would work with the Switch converter. Am I correct to assume that the Brook Fighting Board is what I'd want? Any additional products/steps needed to gaurantee it works with the converter after that?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I've also built a retro arcade setup for old-school arcade emulation. T-Molding along all the edges. I-Pac encoder inside, Sanwa JLF, Ultimarc Spinktrak spinner and U-Trak trackball, and IL buttons. Custom art by myself.

I've also done a series of pinball controllers:

First version. Basically a test bed for ideas.

Second version, the desktop "all the bells and whistles" version. Real lockdown bar and plunger assembly, pcb and accelerometer from Zeb's Boards.

Third version, light and mobile couch version. 360 padhack.

on the other hand, hot drat, do you sell these by any chance? :haw:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Small thing, but I installed a new bat top on my sanwa jlf

Bat top supremacy

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Smoking Crow posted:

Bat top supremacy

the aluminum ones at focus attack are fantastic.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I'm still playing on a SFIV TES.
I think it could deserve a new set of buttons/stick, but I'm not really sure it actually needs it.
I didn't use it much after SSFIV and started using it again intensively only after GGST was released. I feel like the stick is a bit loose, but it's not like it's not working nor it's registering bad inputs. Perhaps I just self-deluded myself into thinking it's loose.
Is there a practical rule on how often a stick needs replacements?

Char fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 25, 2022

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The spring could just be worn, new ones are only a couple bucks so it might be worth going that route. If you want to go the extra step, you can replace the microswitches too for ~$15.

It's probably fine as it is now, but for peace of mind it doesn't cost a lot to replace the wear items in a stick. For how cheap they are it might be worth getting a couple different spring weights to experiment with feel.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Minidust posted:

I had been passing through the FG thread during the chat that spawned this thread... finally caught up now, thank you very much N4B!!!

thanks for posting! sorry the OP isnt fully fleshed out yet, kiddos are home during summer vacation and yeah i cant get poo poo done lol.

again, if anyone has guides or pics or anything added to the OP, just post it. i'm gonna sit down soon and make it a hell of a lot more legible and poo poo rather than the hodgepodge of random poo poo

CH Science
Sep 11, 2019

Turned this Hori Mini that I never use into a mixbox today. Gonna end up just buying some keycaps for it since I've already broken the little nubs off two of them :saddumb:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5478349

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hey all -

I've gotten my arcade cabinet up and running about about 90% of what I want it to do. The problem I'm running into now is that while Windows recognizes the 4 joysticks, Steam won't recognize them and about half the games I've tried on Steam won't allow me to configure them. I'm thinking this has to do with the two USB encoders used to connect the cabinet to the PC that I got with the cabinet from GameRoomSolutions.

I've heard good things about the Ultimarc stuff, is anyone familiar enough with their encoder options to recommend something that will handle all 4 players and allow them to be set as Xinput easily so Steam picks up on them?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

ahhhhhh thats one of the *most* fun parts of this crap.

I have mine setup with a triggered power strip. I drilled a power button that is wired to the PC, and when that boots it automatically starts the marquee lightbox. I have a usb CEC adapter meant for kodi boxes that turns on the screen and its supposed to boot all into bigbox automagically with one button press

...except that windows constantly fucks up the usb assignments for the ps360+ boards so I still have to unplug/replug holding 2p/2k half the time.

if you find anything that keeps that assigned through power cycles id be so drat happy

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Ultimarc's I-PAC boards are probably the simplest solution - they can't initialize in the wrong order if there's only one board. Plus it looks like they can be set to X-input according to the website so that should solve any compatibility woes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

ahhhhhh thats one of the *most* fun parts of this crap.

I have mine setup with a triggered power strip. I drilled a power button that is wired to the PC, and when that boots it automatically starts the marquee lightbox. I have a usb CEC adapter meant for kodi boxes that turns on the screen and its supposed to boot all into bigbox automagically with one button press

...except that windows constantly fucks up the usb assignments for the ps360+ boards so I still have to unplug/replug holding 2p/2k half the time.

if you find anything that keeps that assigned through power cycles id be so drat happy

I used Joystick Gremlin before with an Arcade1up cabinet but I was really hoping for a hardware solution. Once you start fiddling with software solutions it never seems to work with everything.

I really don't understand why USB and joysticks is still so goddam complex