Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Yeah looking at this, starting in the elf atlantis kiddy pool with my elf king seems like the correct play. Thanks everyone!

Can't wait and smugly sit back with a nice bottle of elf wine while the rest of the world tears itself apart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I SURE DO LOVE SKULLS

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I decided to do a Malagor run first since I did him last in 2, so I could best compare the games I felt.

It feels much, much harder. The AI is much more willing and able to go kill my herdstones. I had to baby sit my first one for a long while, as everything around me basically declared on me in the first 15 turns, and was trying to destroy the stone.

It wasn't until I got a second army to watch stones that I actually was capable of razing everything around it to the ground and doing my ritual, without big risk of losing the stone.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Feldegast42 posted:

Yeah looking at this, starting in the elf atlantis kiddy pool with my elf king seems like the correct play. Thanks everyone!

Can't wait and smugly sit back with a nice bottle of elf wine while the rest of the world tears itself apart

N'kari's going to have a word with you real soon.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I'm playing Festus right now and I think part of why he takes over so much of his local regions so quickly is because he's surrounded by mud farmers with sticks who love to crowd up on the guy who can toggle from "constant massive ally regen" to "constant enemy damage over time" and break the second he goes from happy potion to frowny potion.

Related: Christ I love winning a Decisive Defeat autoresolve by sticking big green in the middle of a field while a bunch of marauders sit on a hillside dreaming of becoming real boys someday.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I'm delighted by the variety of foes in this campaign. Wurrzag took over Grimgrog's Badlands bowl momentum. Skarsnik is doing well and decced on me. Arkhan has 10+ settlements and decced on me. Thorek decced on me and has been beating up the Last Defenders so I need to take that nice defensible mountain range and prop up my southern buddies a bit.

Taking a big break with a quicksave before the siege of K8P which Skarsnik took. Congrats, little buddy! All the way from Gunpeak!

uber_stoat posted:

I SURE DO LOVE SKULLS

future thread title

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Arghy posted:

The AI is a lot smarter in battle now instead of shooting my quarrelers they shot at my grudge throwers forcing me to frantically readjust my lines though they kept 2 very large flank groups away from the battle until their main line routed it was very strange. Wurrzag also banked a ton of WoM then just loving chained foot of gork into the scrum killing more of his troops then might it was nuts. The new spell info is amazing though like the fiery ring of thori does 0 AP damage meaning it's a total waste of equipment slots. Item fusing is loving amazing for dawi because i can just keep rolling for certain equipment so now i can customize my characters even more.

I don't think the AI is passive i think it's just way more calculating, wurrzag had 2 stacks with waaagh armies but stared down my thorgrim stack because it knew that it couldn't defeat my army + garrison + gotrek/felix. Soon as i successful ambush stanced gotrek he came at me then died horribly haha. Skarsnik rushed me and tretches faction has sent a few feeler armies already but they refuse to attack my defensive settlements with a defensive army inside.

I noticed the better prioritising too, they rinsed my archers and artillery on a few occasions rather than waste shots on my shielded infantry. Not much, but it's certainly welcome.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Don't sleep on Knights of Slaanesh. With the right techs/traits/skills you can get them to 100 speed, 60-ish attack, 70-ish defense with close to 100 base charge bonus (it's 200 if you flank).

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Feldegast42 posted:

Yeah aside from N'Kari up in the north you don't have too many problems from major factions until a few turns in. Also, as you'll find out, Tyrion is basically elf Achilles and shreds most enemies one on one.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Anyone else playing Valkia? I'm trying to figure out how I'd get more Skullcrushers of Khorne, I can't see them as just a basic option like soul grinders, bloodthirsters, etc. I figured they'd be one of the later gifts but they aren't.

Are they warband upgrades for Bloodletters? I don't have any in her army at the point I saved at, I transferred them all over to my other army and they can't be upgraded there at all.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 24, 2022

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
The upgrades for COCs are human or non human then followed by type. So there are 3 points that upgrade bloodletters, should be non human / daemon infantry. It isn't a big upgrade.

I do not believe they get anything else.

And just to note, COCs do not get exalted daemon infantry. Just the basic ones. They do get access to greater daemons though.

Skull crushers should be an mark upgrade on the khorne mark tree. Will need chaos warrior tier or khorn marauders to upgrade into them with the right tech.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Dramicus posted:

The best strategy for minor settlement battles is to go to the mod workshop and download a mod that converts them into land battles.

I never have any luck searching on the Steam workshop. Anyone got a link to one of these that is updated for IE?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah the ai hasn't been passive for me. lots of aggression from Zhufbar dwarves and Vlad. after settling those issues I went to Ghorst's forest. between him and Kugath they were causing me bounce around as they were running behind my army and taking my minors from under me

if you want more field battles turn up the campaign difficulty. the ai will have more armies

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

RVT posted:

I never have any luck searching on the Steam workshop. Anyone got a link to one of these that is updated for IE?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2848488391&searchtext=land+battle

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2789910976&searchtext=land+battle

Both of these work. I ended up testing both of them while troubleshooting different problem.

Just keep in mind that you will still get minor settlement battles for ports or settlements with walls. Outside of those, every other minor settlement will be a land battle.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Dramicus posted:

Don't sleep on Knights of Slaanesh. With the right techs/traits/skills you can get them to 100 speed, 60-ish attack, 70-ish defense with close to 100 base charge bonus (it's 200 if you flank).

Stick a banner of swiftness on them and they'll be rocking 120 speed.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Is the mod to remove settlement battles working with IE? I had to quit after watching a pile of like 600 skaven stuck in a pile slowly feeding themselves single file into a cluster of war dancers.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I made sure to kill Festus first as Karl, after I got the first province/mountain pass under my control. Plagues are super annoying and chaos warriors are too dangerous to let spiral out of control.

With enough handguns, no armored foe is too dangerous.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

So, uhhh.... Brettonian everything else with a Saurus frontline is goddamned insane.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

How! posted:

Is the mod to remove settlement battles working with IE? I had to quit after watching a pile of like 600 skaven stuck in a pile slowly feeding themselves single file into a cluster of war dancers.

Yes, the two mods i linked a couple posts up both work.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

So, uhhh.... Brettonian everything else with a Saurus frontline is goddamned insane.

Do you think the knights would notice, or would they just wonder why the peasants smell a little better than usual

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Rolled up a game as Belakor after only playing one Cathay campaign at release. Am I the only one who sees the Warhammer 3 logo as a garbage can?
Edit: OK, so far so good. No idea what I'm doing, but there seems to be a new vassal mechanic, which is neat.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 24, 2022

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

They'd probably wonder when they got bigger and stronger, then go back to sneering at them.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

How! posted:

isn't that basically how Skaven work all the time?

at least until the ratling guns get into position

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Third World Reagan posted:

The upgrades for COCs are human or non human then followed by type. So there are 3 points that upgrade bloodletters, should be non human / daemon infantry. It isn't a big upgrade.

I do not believe they get anything else.

And just to note, COCs do not get exalted daemon infantry. Just the basic ones. They do get access to greater daemons though.

Skull crushers should be an mark upgrade on the khorne mark tree. Will need chaos warrior tier or khorn marauders to upgrade into them with the right tech.

Ah cheers, I guess I figured they'd be a unique recurring gift like the greater demons and such, didn't think to look in the basic unit upgrade section, there's a lot going on with the trees for these new chaos folks.

I probably won't be able to afford many of them for awhile though, kinda got bogged down in what feels like an eternal hellwar against the Dark Elves and once I've killed them I'll probably need to finish off the Dwarves. Feels like I should have gone east to start and grabbed more of the dark fortresses.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I should probably raise second armies of COC as undivided and just switch them over when the lord gets a mark to maximize upkeep reduction.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I decided my first IE campaign would be Orks since I’ve only done Order factions before. They’re pretty fun but I’m itching to get to my black orks.

They don’t seem like a super complicated faction, but anything I should know? I have a real hard time razing settlements instead of occupying them and I hope that’s not gonna cause problems.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Played just over 20 turns of Grom last night. Started by bullying Quenelles, forgot that raiding camp took no movement and I could have been recruiting globally recruiting gobbos in one turn, Parravon weren't game to send down their stack though. Orion wardecced Parravon in short order while the Faye Enchantress decided to have a go at me ( love me her casualty replenishment bonus ). While I was bullying one of her minors all of the Wood Elves wardecced me and Orion bumrushed Massif Orcall so I had to deal with that, but now Ikit is my friend terrorising Faye. Called a Waaagh on Parravon, razed it in short order and now it's time to take my stack of buff gobbos and my waaagh army to raze Faye's capital.

Maybe because I started comparatively passive by sacking Quenelles and not building my army for a few turns but the AI weren't too shy in declaring war and sending armies my way. I'll miss not having Skarsnik nearby for an early confed though :(

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 25, 2022

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Pick a direction and start krumping, when you can't go any further in that direction, turn around and come back.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
My Karl Franz just got out-dueled by Festus. It's not even fair, Karl only has 1 chin.

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

N'kari's going to have a word with you real soon.

Don't worry, N'kari's been sent to elf jail. Too bad I already killed Skarbrand's faction, since otherwise they could have been elf jail friends.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

moosecow333 posted:

I decided my first IE campaign would be Orks since I’ve only done Order factions before. They’re pretty fun but I’m itching to get to my black orks.

They don’t seem like a super complicated faction, but anything I should know? I have a real hard time razing settlements instead of occupying them and I hope that’s not gonna cause problems.

You're all good occupying settlements as orcs. Not a lot to know more than don't underestimate gobbos (particularly nasty skulkers early against enemies in armour) and never stop fighting.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I got immediately bodied by an army of guns as festus. Oh well, I was just doing donuts around my base, next time I know to go for dark fortresses

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I get the Immortal Empires Beta not getting them, but why no achievements for the new RoC content?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Franzs chaotic start is pretty fun but twice now the AI had me dead to rights and instead retreated out of a city into a different city to let me capture it instead

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

I get the Immortal Empires Beta not getting them, but why no achievements for the new RoC content?

i know its been industry standard for decades now but i still will never understand why ppl care about achievements

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i know its been industry standard for decades now but i still will never understand why ppl care about achievements

You gotta catch em all

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I feel like achievements would be one of those things that seem easy to add, but are actually surprisingly difficult. I don't care at all if they don't show up but I know a lot of people need them in order to properly measure their dicks.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

loving hell Baersonling might be a little overtuned. 2 feral mammoths right off the bat is a bit much.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I'm not usually an achievement whore but part of the reason I played EU4 so much was that the achievements gave you a goal to do as each state which helped give you something to do in a largely sandbox game. Although this campaign does have short / long term victory conditions though which helps things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

orangelex44 posted:

I feel like achievements would be one of those things that seem easy to add, but are actually surprisingly difficult. I don't care at all if they don't show up but I know a lot of people need them in order to properly measure their dicks.

Sounds like you've got less than me :smug: