Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I had a lot of fun with Path of Exile early on, then tried it again when they increased it to 10 acts instead of 4, and that was still okay, but then they started adding a bunch of stupid rear end extra poo poo like tower defense and heists and some mine delving thing and it just got bloated and stupid. There were these little notes you would get as loot drops for the heists and if you picked them up you COULD NOT GET RID OF THEM until you went to the hideout place where heists were done and turned them in, gently caress you if you're not interested in heists, go there anyway.

Then they took a simple, great concept, end-game maps and being able to customize them for difficulty, and blew it up into this stupid Atlas thing where you had to run maps in this region with these gems set in these other regions and you had to do it in a really specific way to make any forward progress and you wouldn't find a certain type of map unless you were running a different certain type of map and it just sucked all the fun right out of it. Just unbelievably stupid complicated poo poo in a game that's about killing monsters for slot-machine pulls.

It was at it's best when Piety was the final boss and maps were simple.

Sorry if any of this triggers you Rutibex

they actually made the atlas a lot better......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

1. Not having empathy for addicts is kind of poo poo.

lol its someone who plays PoE, its not a heroin addict

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

lol its someone who plays PoE, its not a heroin addict

Yeah gambling addiction (the thing I was responding too) is not a heroin addiction. It also isn't game addiction. The thing is they are still addictions and while you might want to go OH NO ITS JUST A GAME ITS JUST A GAME so you can make fun of these people, that doesn't mean people don't have actual addictions to games that deserve empathy. Game companies loving love to exploit addiction that's kind of the backbone of the f2p model. I bet companies also appreciate people who rush to go "it's just a game" any time someone suggests maybe companies should stop exploiting people.

Oh and even to the people who aren't addicts I think it's still poo poo for a company to go "you know that game you've been enjoying? Yeah the one we make that you bought stuff for? Yeah what if instead we made it unenjoyable?" It's reasonable those people to be kind of upset.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 24, 2022

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The city based levels in Doom 2 are the low point of the series, yes, lower than Doom Eternal

I’ve only played doom eternal like 30 minutes so far. Seems pretty good.

Why does it suck?

(Also I’ve never seen any game so perfectly threaded. )

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I didn't hate Doom Eternal but it's not great and it's because they introduced a bunch of mechanics for replenishing health, armor, and ammo along with the cutscenes and story, all of which detract from what Doom is supposed to be, a very mechanically simple game about shooting demons to heavy metal music.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

I didn't hate Doom Eternal but it's not great and it's because they introduced a bunch of mechanics for replenishing health, armor, and ammo along with the cutscenes and story, all of which detract from what Doom is supposed to be, a very mechanically simple game about shooting demons to heavy metal music.

Yeah the simon says gameplay with constant camera snapping, tacked on platforming, weapon tech trees, and the terrible story... not my cup of tea.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Vic posted:

and the terrible story... not my cup of tea.

this after doom 2016 was self aware enough to just have the doomguy smash the screen whenever some NPC started to talk and get on with the killing

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Lol the so called “story” in Doom Eternal is maybe a five second cutscene every 2 hours where someone from a heavy metal album cover says the word “Hell” and immediately explodes. It’s as story driven as the original Zelda. Next you’ll be complaining that learning Princess Peach is in another castle was way too much information for you to process.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

galagazombie posted:

Lol the so called “story” in Doom Eternal is maybe a five second cutscene every 2 hours where someone from a heavy metal album cover says the word “Hell” and immediately explodes. It’s as story driven as the original Zelda. Next you’ll be complaining that learning Princess Peach is in another castle was way too much information for you to process.

Wasn't there an entire stage with no combat and just plot stuff?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

galagazombie posted:

click here to watch this dweeb be wrong again and again and again

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

galagazombie posted:

nice nintendo reference

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
drat. fella is hella wrong

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

galagazombie posted:

They went full Doomguy. You never go full Doomguy.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The Princess is in another castle? Holy poo poo, that's hosed up.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
The president has been kidnapped by ninjas. Are you a bad enough dude to save the president?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

There's some questionable design decisions I. Doom eternal, like some enemies you must fight only in specific ways, but the "story" was not one, and served mostly as a reason to play heavy metal music in one of the moments you're not killing stuff.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

satanic splash-back posted:

There's some questionable design decisions I. Doom eternal, like some enemies you must fight only in specific ways, but the "story" was not one, and served mostly as a reason to play heavy metal music in one of the moments you're not killing stuff.

No it was just annoyingly generic internet meme level white noise. It went for the 80s cartoon vibe and failed somehow. They hosed up back in doom 2016 with the mandatory exposition but made it worse. They won't let you not know or not care. You're gonna watch their trite bullshit. You're so gonna.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Thing I don't like about new Doom games is punch to get health and bullets. I don't want to punch. I want to use my big rear end guns, but if I don't punch then I run out of ammo and health.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
doom had the best story. a bunch of words between episodes you could skip

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

"You're such a badass" the videogame repeats yet again

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

ilmucche posted:

doom had the best story. a bunch of words between episodes you could skip

Hell yeah. All story in games should be brief and skippable.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Hell yeah. All story in games should be brief and skippable.

This sounds like the sort of thing that a catboy would say unironically, so...

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Redezga posted:

Donkey Kong Land 1 and 2 seemed pretty impressive for their time. Comparatively bare bones for a Rare game in comparison to stuff like DKC, but the controls and animation felt very smooth and responsive compared to a lot of other platformers on the original Game Boy.

i have great nostalgic fondness for donkey kong land. but i’ve been replaying old platformers and i can definitively state - DKL1 has horrible controls. sadly

2 is p good tho

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doom Eternal kicks unbelievable amounts of rear end, but it also escapes the bonds of being a traditional FPS and gets well into character action game territory with the DLC even introducing true combo mechanics.

Its one of the best games Ive ever played but its not a title that is gonna work for everyone and requires more commitment to it than traditional Doom

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

click here to watch this dweeb be wrong again and again and again

Lol this literally proves me right. It’s just a bunch of 2 minute scenes of someone saying “hell” and then Doomguy punches their head off. And half of those “cutscenes” aren’t even that, it’s counting white noise dialogue that plays while you’re shooting stuff. And even with all that, all strung together in a YouTube video, it’s thirty minutes out of a 15-25 hour game.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

galagazombie posted:

desperate flailing of the wrong

ok doomer

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
The combat in Doom Eternal was so contextual and had so many moments that take control out of the player's hands that it made each fight feel like a drawn out QTE. I'm sure some people prefer that over the standard FPS approach, but it wasn't for me.

I don't remember any overly long or abundant cutscenes, but I only played like the first quarter of the game so maybe it got worse later on.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
There definitely is an aspect of Doom Eternal that feels like playing Pokémon. Much like memorizing type matchups, every enemy in the game has one very specific weapon your supposed to kill it with, and trying to use another will get you to metaphorical “It’s not very effective” message.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Doom Eternal owns

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
The ashtray maze in Control was a better Doom than Doom Eternal :colbert:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The ashtray maze was a tremendous disappointment. Easily the worst part of the story quests.

galagazombie posted:

There definitely is an aspect of Doom Eternal that feels like playing Pokémon. Much like memorizing type matchups, every enemy in the game has one very specific weapon your supposed to kill it with, and trying to use another will get you to metaphorical “It’s not very effective” message.

Laffo, no. If anything the rocket launcher is overpowered because it demolishes most things you fight and has homing rockets so you don't even need to aim. You can instantly delete the marauder with it by tossing a grenade over its head then rocket dumping into its now vulnerable spine making them take about 1 second.

The DLC, admittedly, does break this flexibility as its trying to make 3 heavily underused mods have a purpose and that part suuuuuucks.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Barudak posted:

You can instantly delete the marauder with it by tossing a grenade over its head then rocket dumping into its now vulnerable spine making them take about 1 second.

I learned this from watching the speedrun at the latest SGDQ. I really wish I knew it when I played. Unfortunately "distract them by throwing a grenade over their head" mechanic is both counterintuitive and never taught by the game (and is possibly a bug?). Instead Marauders were a giant "time to stop having fun now" sign.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Without knowing the grenade trick, you can two cycle them by quick swapping super-shotgun and ballista or stunning then BFG. They're definitely foes that require mastery of a specific mechanic to deal with, though, and are a little tougher than they probably should have been for a casual player because the amount of hits they take to kill should have counted the counter hit.

Most foes though die to just about anything. You can use grenades, shotgun grenades, charged shots, precision shots to take out glowing bits and change behavoir, but even on higher difficulties enemies have the same health so deleting them with your weapon of choice is both valid and often faster.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The ashtray maze was kind of joke tbh. People hype it up so much and it's like, nothing. You float around in linear area for ten minutes while an awful euro trash butt metal song plays...and that's it.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The ashtray maze is just a fun intermission. The song was fine for the occasion. I guess if you were expecting a big puzzle area you were in for some whiplash, but that's part of the reason it's a cool scene.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Floating around the cool fun ashtray maze yelling at the tv screen "This is a big joke! This is so stupid! Its nothing!"

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
goons kept talking about it like it was this amazing high point of the entire game, to the point where i even looked up a gameplay video despite never having any intention to play Control
i was very confused when it looked like a regular shooty level in a game with pretty bad combat
the scripted set dressing with all the moving walls and stuff looked pretty cool though ill give it that

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Caesar Saladin posted:

Floating around the cool fun ashtray maze yelling at the tv screen "This is a big joke! This is so stupid! Its nothing!"

What about it warrants the endless praise though? people always build it up like it's a amazing and then you literally just float around for a few minutes and shoot some dudes and it's not even a maze.

itry posted:

The ashtray maze is just a fun intermission.

Yeah that's a fine take. I didn't dislike it I just don't get why it's such "a thing". It was kind of neat I guess but ehh

I actually like Control but usually when people talk about it I feel like the level of hyperbole in regards to how mind blowing it is is off the charts.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
"Control" is a rubbish name for a videogame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Defense of the Ancients was taken