Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
What's a good recc for someone who likes linear switches (they game a lot), wants TKL or full-size, and is looking for something in the $100-200 range with plain aesthetics (ie, no wild rgb)?

I don't think they care about it being hotswappable, and don't plan on fiddling with it too much. My instinct would be a Keychron K4 or C2, but I'm also currently deep down a custom split keyboard rabbit hole so haven't kept up with more normal boards that might be good. Gotta imagine there's some Ducky that could be a good option, but was wondering what y'all would recc.

E: especially curious if there's a linear switch that comes standard that's competitive with whatever fancy ones there are, I just use tactile so haven't got much of an idea of what to suggest there either.

foutre fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

foutre posted:

What's a good recc for someone who likes linear switches (they game a lot), wants TKL or full-size, and is looking for something in the $100-200 range with plain aesthetics (ie, no wild rgb)?

I don't think they care about it being hotswappable, and don't plan on fiddling with it too much. My instinct would be a Keychron K4 or C2, but I'm also currently deep down a custom split keyboard rabbit hole so haven't kept up with more normal boards that might be good. Gotta imagine there's some Ducky that could be a good option, but was wondering what y'all would recc.

E: especially curious if there's a linear switch that comes standard that's competitive with whatever fancy ones there are, I just use tactile so haven't got much of an idea of what to suggest there either.

This would be pushing the upper end of the budget but this:

https://novelkeys.com/collections/keyboards/products/nk87-entry-edition

I think you're asking for a budget linear. Gateron Milky Yellows are the favorite there:

https://ringerkeys.com/collections/switches/products/gateron-yellow-ks-3-switches

Then whatever keycaps from Amazon/Aliexpress?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

If there isn't a big rush, pre-orders for this are live now and they should be shipping in November. $139, TKL, hotswap, wireless, includes switches and keycaps, and has a very clean aesthetic in a variety of colors.

https://store.monokei.co/products/monokei-standard?variant=43062815228129

Gearman fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 25, 2022

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Gearman posted:

If there isn't a big rush, pre-orders for this are live now and they should be shipping in November. $139, TKL, hotswap, wireless, includes swirches and keycaps, and has a very clean aesthetic in a variety of colors.

https://store.monokei.co/products/monokei-standard?variant=43062815228129

drat this looks good, I love the indented caps key

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I'm still looking on how to pull the firmware from my board and be able to upload it to QMK configurator to continue tweaking, I never saved the firmware/template after flashing it or deleted the files because I am copiously stupid. If anyone knows I'd appreciate it, if it's not doable then I guess I'm starting over again.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

sigher posted:

So I'm still looking on how to pull the firmware from my board and be able to upload it to QMK configurator to continue tweaking, I never saved the firmware/template after flashing it or deleted the files because I am copiously stupid. If anyone knows I'd appreciate it, if it's not doable then I guess I'm starting over again.
QMK Configurator has some Preonic templates like this but I'm not sure which one you have. Is that what you're looking for?

e: never mind, you were clearly talking about whatever custom one you had in place before that! can't help ya there, sorry

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

foutre posted:

There have been great suggestions so far, but just in case, since you mentioned they wouldn't play around with it too much, iQunix has a few keyboards that are in the upper limit of the budget (and aren't TKL, but in my opinion if it's for gaming, a 75% with spacers is just as good and takes a bit les real estate). I'm only mentioning them because they're one of the few pre-builts that can come with TTC Gold Pink or Speed Silver switches, which I personally love.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Stroop There It Is posted:

QMK Configurator has some Preonic templates like this but I'm not sure which one you have. Is that what you're looking for?

e: never mind, you were clearly talking about whatever custom one you had in place before that! can't help ya there, sorry

Yeah, I built up a layout over time for my Preonic with the website, but the most recent one I lost and from what I see there's no way to pull the firmware from the keyboard to my PC to continue editing, looks like I'm stuck starting from scratch.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

change my name posted:

drat this looks good, I love the indented caps key

Stepped caps is my favorite

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Stepped caps is my favorite

what;'s the second one

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Has anyone figured out an adapter for stepped caps keys (like this)? I would love to use them but can't with any of the layouts I actually use.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

what;'s the second one

That one was created by mkultracorp before they became a bigger vendor in the community. It was made to match the SA Godspeed set because it didn't originally come with stepped caps. Here was their original post about it: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/9hv3c6/who_needs_stepped_caps_keys_that_work_with_sa/

Apparently MiTo did the usual MiTo thing and whined about it, lol

The same guy also sold 1.75u "TRANSMIT" caps to match SA Godspeed under a different username before forming mkultra: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/7t285m/usca_h_175u_r4_transmit_in_godspeed_colors_w/

I have one of those, too, for my right-shift needs.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Thanks for the reccs y'all! I'll probably send them most of those options with the caveat that they can decide how much DIY they want to do. They do woodworking and whatnot, so I'd imagine just putting switches into hotswap sockets won't be a barrier but we'll see vOv

This all makes me want to try linear switches for gaming just to see....

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

That one was created by mkultracorp before they became a bigger vendor in the community. It was made to match the SA Godspeed set because it didn't originally come with stepped caps. Here was their original post about it: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/9hv3c6/who_needs_stepped_caps_keys_that_work_with_sa/

Apparently MiTo did the usual MiTo thing and whined about it, lol

The same guy also sold 1.75u "TRANSMIT" caps to match SA Godspeed under a different username before forming mkultra: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/7t285m/usca_h_175u_r4_transmit_in_godspeed_colors_w/

I have one of those, too, for my right-shift needs.

lmao hopefully mkultra figures out their hosed up website sometime; asking $50 to ship a key cap set domestically via usps was some funny poo poo. It was cheaper to buy the same thing from Australia. To be fair they finally noticed their dumbass background made their emails unreadable and fixed that at least.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
After like what seems like a hundred boards, im back to cherry browns highly modded, crytox, etc. Freaking LOVE the things. Go figure, after so much time and effort just normal browns with love are amazing.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

redeyes posted:

After like what seems like a hundred boards, im back to cherry browns highly modded, crytox, etc. Freaking LOVE the things. Go figure, after so much time and effort just normal browns with love are amazing.

:mods:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Very weird experience trying to replace my switches. Can't tell if I'm terrible at it or the switches just don't fit.

Using a Redragon K582 SURARA RGB LED Backlit Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with 104 Keys-Linear and Quiet-Red Switches
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KCRTN9Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought a pack of replacement switches Cherry MX Red Keyswitch (10 pack) - MX1AL1NN | Plate Mounted | Linear | by himalayanelixir
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0121JH9XI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The replacements do not fit into the keyboard. I'm looking over the item description and I can't figure out what I'm missing. What switches do I need to buy for replacing on that keyboard?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

pentyne posted:

Very weird experience trying to replace my switches. Can't tell if I'm terrible at it or the switches just don't fit.

Using a Redragon K582 SURARA RGB LED Backlit Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with 104 Keys-Linear and Quiet-Red Switches
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KCRTN9Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought a pack of replacement switches Cherry MX Red Keyswitch (10 pack) - MX1AL1NN | Plate Mounted | Linear | by himalayanelixir
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0121JH9XI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The replacements do not fit into the keyboard. I'm looking over the item description and I can't figure out what I'm missing. What switches do I need to buy for replacing on that keyboard?

It's likely that the board uses Outemu switches which means that only other Outemu switches will fit.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gearman posted:

It's likely that the board uses Outemu switches which means that only other Outemu switches will fit.

Thanks, I'll try that.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Yeah outemu hotswap sockets are for very thin pins on outemu switches

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So, dumb question, but should I have just been looking for switches that literally look the same as the ones already in the board? I noticed right away the replacements I bought looked completely different but chalked it up to different brand cosmetic and that they'd still fit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073WBY7J3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These look 100% identical to my current ones.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

pentyne posted:

So, dumb question, but should I have just been looking for switches that literally look the same as the ones already in the board? I noticed right away the replacements I bought looked completely different but chalked it up to different brand cosmetic and that they'd still fit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073WBY7J3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These look 100% identical to my current ones.

Going entirely by visuals can lead to incorrect assumptions, but the ones you linked are Outemu, and they are what you are looking for.

Outemu are unique in the mechanical keyboard hobby in that none of the standard MX switches from manufacturers like Cherry, Gateron, Kailh, JWK, etc. will fit in sockets designed for Outemu switches.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Do Gazzew switches fit, since those are manufactured by Outemu?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

repiv posted:

Do Gazzew switches fit, since those are manufactured by Outemu?

Yep, and this is where things get really fuzzy with Outemu sockets: Gazzew switches will fit, AKKO switches should fit as well, and I've heard Glorious Pandas fit, too. You can make other switches fit as well but you need to, by hand, fold/clamp both metal legs on every switch. Outemu aren't significantly different from standard MX switches, but they are definitely out-of-spec from the standard Cherry MX switch specifications and it's very difficult to know exactly where switches, outside of ones made by Outemu, will fit Outemu sockets.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

so many boards I want coming soon, Wind X 98, Hibiki, QK60 ughhh.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Looking for recommendations. There are so many more options now. I have an old (2011?) razer black widow mechanical keyboard. Im mostly gaming on my pc. I think i want to make a diy board, but not a requirement. I prefer wired, fullsize, and rgb options. Thanks!

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I’ve been digging through the manual and a bunch of dumb YouTube videos, but I can’t find a way to change the colour/brightness on the indicator LEDs for num/caplock on my new ducky one 3. It’s currently white and bright as hell. An ad I saw showed red LEDs, so hopefully it is possible to change?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Frank Dillinger posted:

I’ve been digging through the manual and a bunch of dumb YouTube videos, but I can’t find a way to change the colour/brightness on the indicator LEDs for num/caplock on my new ducky one 3. It’s currently white and bright as hell. An ad I saw showed red LEDs, so hopefully it is possible to change?

Hmm, I am not aware of those indicators being programmable. Maybe the ad was showing a different model, or was just an outright lie? :(

ZombieCrew posted:

Looking for recommendations. There are so many more options now. I have an old (2011?) razer black widow mechanical keyboard. Im mostly gaming on my pc. I think i want to make a diy board, but not a requirement. I prefer wired, fullsize, and rgb options. Thanks!

On that note, the Ducky One 3 RGB full size is a good choice. Wired, full size, RGB, and hotswap. Unfortunately there are very few DIY full-size keyboards on the market, though. If DIY includes just changing the switches and keycaps, though, pretty much any hotswappable full-size should work for you.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

My last Ducky board had that limitation where the indicator LEDs were locked at max brightness, I worked around it by getting some of these plastic shims that sit over the LED and mute/tint the colour

I can't find them for sale now though, I guess they went out of style when full RGB keyboards took off

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
So I asked about travel keyboards, did some looking on my own and found the nuphy line.

https://nuphy.com/products/air75?va...fxoC3CcQAvD_BwE

Ended up going with the nuphy air 75, it's working pretty well for me, got the browns, had some initial issues because one of the switches came slightly out of the slot but once I fixed that no issues, typing on it from a hotel room right now.

The travel case is really nice, one frustration I have is if you buy the little travel case there's no place to put the accessories in it like the USB cable or the feet.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Colleague of mine has that board and really likes it.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

I really wish NuPhy had a low profile 40% option. I've been looking for one but it's hard to find an available board outside of group buys.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Ah bummer. I see it's not for sale on their site, but I've been using a Nuphy F1 from Kickstarter daily for years now and it's still going strong.

It's truly a huge deal for me because I have a permanently hosed up index finger from getting doored on a bike several years ago. It's so much easier for me to type than using a standard MacBook keyboard.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

death cob for cutie posted:

You can get little Cherry switch testers that'll cover all the options you'd see on Ducky boards - something like https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=6861 should do.

So I got this switch tester in and my findings are that when pressing the key fast red/brown feel the same. You really only notice the difference when typing slower or softer. I might want clears?? I don't know yet enough to buy something.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Reds and Browns do not feel the same, trust me

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

redeyes posted:

Reds and Browns do not feel the same, trust me

Reds are decent linear switches. Browns are trash tier tactile switches and should never be used.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I like Gateron browns just fine

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

yeah what's wrong with browns?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Reds are decent linear switches. Browns are trash tier tactile switches and should never be used.

Browns are the best switch ever made. You have stupid fingers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

redeyes posted:

Browns are the best switch ever made. You have stupid fingers.

cherry browns are mid