Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I’m aware of those connections, but for the most part, to the average person and the stories themselves without any DLC post game stuff, they’re all standalone and the connections within the main story usually just come in the form of nods to the fans.

have you played xenoblade chronicles 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mister Facetious posted:

I recall the gamespot review for 2 saying you could beat the entire game just using your pistols.
yep, it’s the optimal way to play the game even
you can tell how dire the state of development was before Itsuno came on board because the DMC2 we got was apparently a big enough improvement for Capcom to trust him with the sequel lol. And then he directed one of the best action games of all time.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Any issues with Cult of the Lamb on Switch?

Does it work well in handheld mode?

Looking for a new game to play in bed at night

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Infinitum posted:

It's okay but maybe wait for a patch.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Takoluka posted:

have you played xenoblade chronicles 3

I'm just about done with chapter 4. So far no mentions of Shulk or Rex and none of the nopons I've come across have been legally obligated to tell me they are sexual offenders. So I'd say it works well without any knowledge of the first two games.

Infinitum posted:

Reports have consistently said the Switch port is bad and wait for a patch.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cheers lads

Patch awaiting it is!

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Augus posted:

you should call the cops on them

Am not a grass

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Stux posted:

"restore lost ammo on failure" are we living on two different planets. put the chainsaw into a zombie bro.

And when there's no zombie around, then what? Because that happened multiple times when I played it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Switch version of Cult of the Lamb just got patched and there's a ridiculous amount of poo poo that needed fixing, specifically on the Switch especially- it seems like it was like, 2-3 versions behind the other consoles or the PC version for some reason.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I'm pretty sure I'm at the point just before the final fight in XBC3, and yet I've spent the past few days doing nothing but side quests that are 30 levels under what I'm currently at. Game is real loving good!

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm just about done with chapter 4. So far no mentions of Shulk or Rex and none of the nopons I've come across have been legally obligated to tell me they are sexual offenders.

I assume you'll get a nopon in your party at some point right? Do they shut the gently caress up in battle or is it still a nonstop cavalcade of MMEMEMEME MEHHMEHHHH?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

You get two and they rule

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Kins posted:

All of this has happened before, and it will happen again. Except probably a bit more effectively than that, given that last I heard there was only one group/person still capable of cracking Denuvo and they were only doing one game at a time at a speed determined by donations.

AFAIK MetaFortress mainly aimed to stop piracy on actual hardware and only broke Dolphin by accident, but there were a handful of Wii games which went out of their way to break emulation

https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2017/0...e-code-by-booto

The trick then was to rely on implementation details of the CPU cache, which would completely blow up in an emulator since emus don't even try to emulate cache behaviour and it would be extremely slow to do so

Denuvos new thing is probably doing something similar, with a bunch of their usual obfuscation on top to make it difficult to remove the anti-emulator code

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Beat Metroid: Fusion just shy of 3 hours with 50% items (wow I was missing A LOT).

My last save is too late for me to go exploring and getting the other items it seems though so, I don't know how you're supposed to after getting the screw attack, to explore the other areas. So that's annoying, but whatever.

It plays very well, the boss fights are tough but fair and it's got a neat style to it. I wasn't convinced by the plot in the end, but I know that's just Other M flashbacks. It sets up quite well for Dread story-wise, since now you seem to be Public Enemy #1. It's still a bit too linear for my liking though, and I actually think that aside from genuine gameplay 2 might be better, since it's also super linear but the claustrophobia of that map (especially on the GB) is a brilliant way to convey stress.

Having played all of them but Dread, the best might be Zero Mission. It's got the brilliant map of 1 with the gameplay of Fusion. I always really liked the NES Metroid, it's a pain to play today but it has a genuinely labyrinthine map which is so fun to get lost in. 3 is just brilliant with an excellent map and gameplay and some great graphics, I liked the bestial and alien nature of its bosses too. Fusion and Samus Returns had a bit too much machines for me to feel on alien and hostile planet, which you're not so it scans, but still.

Looking forward to Dread at any rate. These are blisteringly fast Metroidvanias, and I love Samus's attitude in them. She's such an excellent protagonist. As for genre-wise? I'd only really consider the Metroid games and Hollow Knight as must plays of the one's I've tried, and they're so different to almost be incomparable. HK has an incredible map, but it's just so long and almost better to BotW in terms of exploration.

I'm hoping to get to Dread by the end of the year, if not early next year. At the moment Triangle Strategy is still what I want to play, having gotten to the NG+. It's really my ideal tactics game.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I just picked up Catherine: Full Body and wtfffffffffff I love everything about it so far. I hope there are still folks playing online by the time I feel ready to try it.

The story is bizarre but compelling and the puzzling is very interesting. I kinda wish there wasn’t a ticking timer in the first few levels while I get used to things but otherwise it’s great.

It’s insane though that I had to delete like half the games on my switch to make room for a 15GB puzzle game lol

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I assume you'll get a nopon in your party at some point right? Do they shut the gently caress up in battle or is it still a nonstop cavalcade of MMEMEMEME MEHHMEHHHH?

Mehmehmeh is no longer a weird verbal tic (and wasn't in XC1 anyway so dunno why 2 introduced it). Iirc there's a couple single instances of just "meh" as a questioning/confused noise but I think I can count the times I remember it happening on one hand

nopons are good again

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Nopons in XBC3 have no tact.

https://twitter.com/Tomenheimer/status/1559392928035811329?t=HgldnKMxTEKUCMMA8gXbLw&s=19

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

giogadi posted:

I just picked up Catherine: Full Body and wtfffffffffff I love everything about it so far. I hope there are still folks playing online by the time I feel ready to try it.

The story is bizarre but compelling and the puzzling is very interesting. I kinda wish there wasn’t a ticking timer in the first few levels while I get used to things but otherwise it’s great.

It’s insane though that I had to delete like half the games on my switch to make room for a 15GB puzzle game lol

I thought it was some really good box-pushing, but I the story and style otherwise didn't grab me. But the puzzles were great.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I thought it was some really good box-pushing, but I the story and style otherwise didn't grab me. But the puzzles were great.

I'm the exact opposite, I loved every bit of the game aside from the actual puzzling.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Beat Metroid: Fusion just shy of 3 hours with 50% items (wow I was missing A LOT).

My last save is too late for me to go exploring and getting the other items it seems though so, I don't know how you're supposed to after getting the screw attack, to explore the other areas. So that's annoying, but whatever.

If you reload your file after beating the game all the plot-locked doors should be unlocked so you can go for 100% if you want.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

100YrsofAttitude posted:

There's definitely a point at the end of Fusion where you can do a victory lap through all the zones to mop up any collectibles. It's actually pretty fun to do that part. What I can't remember is if you save right before the finale if you're locked out of the victory lap, or how much signaling there is around this. Super Metroid has the same problem too if you save at the bottom of Tourian. It's really a horrible game design mistake and is why I constantly copy and juggle between save files.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I always really liked the NES Metroid, it's a pain to play today but it has a genuinely labyrinthine map which is so fun to get lost in.
Have you played Axiom Verge?

I know AV isn't everyone's favorite game around here but I really enjoyed it because it feels like NES Metroid in a way that no other game--not even other Metroids--can pull off.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/08/sonic-frontiers-pre-orders-come-with-famous-v-tuber-dlc-in-japan
Worse or better than nft?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

giogadi posted:

Maybe get a SD card larger than 32 GB?

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Better because it probably doesn't require a small county's yearly power consumption just to maintain.

Also Korone is cool and good. Cooler and gooder than Sonic, in fact.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Maybe get a SD card larger than 32 GB?

Well yea I agree, but it’s funny that it wasn’t an issue until Catherine

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I know AV isn't everyone's favorite game around here but I really enjoyed it because it feels like NES Metroid in a way that no other game--not even other Metroids--can pull off.

I'd say Axiom Verge is a step up from Metroid, but it's no Super Metroid like they tried to emulate. The grapple is frustratingly short, and you can't even use it to cheese a boss like with Metroid's beam version.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

oh hells yea

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Waffle! posted:

I'd say Axiom Verge is a step up from Metroid, but it's no Super Metroid like they tried to emulate. The grapple is frustratingly short, and you can't even use it to cheese a boss like with Metroid's beam version.
The grapple in AV2 is way better.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And when there's no zombie around, then what? Because that happened multiple times when I played it.

It didn't? I understand that the Eternal gameplay is not for everyone, but there are not only not multiple times of where no zombies for ammo are around, there's not a single one.

If it happened to you, it's a bug that should not have happened. The game is 100% designed and tested around ammo beeing readily available via chainsawing.

e: just to make it clearer: there is always ammo available. Either it respawns on it's own on a timer, or there is fodder available. The later one is the norm, I can think of maybe one or two sections where you would have to rely on the respawning ammo, mainly the maykr map, though I'd have to replay it to see if there actually is no other non-auto-respawning ammo available apart from headshots for that special enemy...for which you get a weapon mod and a suit mod to make it way easier...plus aim assist...plus respawning ammo....

tuo fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 25, 2022

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Riku is amazing and the series is now 2 for 4 on 'major' Nopon characters in the main games.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I’m aware of those connections, but for the most part, to the average person and the stories themselves without any DLC post game stuff, they’re all standalone and the connections within the main story usually just come in the form of nods to the fans. Dragon Quest sequels usually take hundreds of years apart and any of them make good jumping points if you’re a new player and won’t be lost if say you choose something like Yakuza 4 as your first entry in the series. My ultimate point was that you don’t need to play through XB1-2 to enjoy 3.

You don't need to play a lot of prequels to enjoy sequels, that doesn't change the fact they're sequels and directly connected to one another. You are playing a game comprised of the results of Xenoblade 1 and 2, something Monolith Soft has said since the game's original announcement. XBC3 was made to not require people to play 1-2 to understand the story but they're all tied together and the DLC was just made as an additional connection for it.

I can only guess you've never played the earlier Dragon Quest games or did so well after they came out because the dark world reveal for Dragon Quest 3 was a huge deal for people who played 1 (and 2). Someone playing just DQ3 would just see it as a new place for the endgame (much like how someone only playing XBC3 is going to miss all the stuff from 1 and 2 in it).

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

It's good, because I'm going to buy it on PC, and get the free Japanese DLC for my NA game. And also what does that have to do with NFTs? Sonic would destroy NFTs with extreme prejudice. :colbert:.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Some things never change.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

American McGay posted:

Some things never change.

Is that the goatman

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Procrastine posted:

If you reload your file after beating the game all the plot-locked doors should be unlocked so you can go for 100% if you want.

Oh thank goodness. I wasn't sure if that would be possible. I'll have to try it out then and do just that.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I haven't. It didn't really look interesting at the time, and no one sold it as well as you did with that comment. I'll have to look more into it. What I loved about Metroid 1 was the feeling of being completely lost on an alien planet. The map is a pain to go through, and thank goodness I had rewind since you can take so much damage so easily in the game. Essentially I played it like a Space Warrior with a Chronomanipulator, exploring paths, and either finding a thing or a dead end, and depending on that warping back to my point of departure. It made it far more bearable and made me really appreciate how much there was to do in the game. And once you learn the map a bit, even if it all looks alike, you really start going places.

Metroid 2 then compresses that and you feel seriously trapped. Like you know when in Minecraft you fall down a pit and have no torches? Something like that. It's neat, though linear, but I really felt the stress and the seriousness of the mission. Having the omnipresent counter for Metroids tells you that poo poo's going to get real early on, since those are late stage enemies in 1.

Metroid 3 does away with that Alien-inspired horror and goes straight for the alien like design of the monsters and bosses. The world is bigger, and you can move far more freely in it, but it's a weird place and the details they put in the areas really do a wonderful job of transmitting how not-Kansas-anymore it all is.

4, does away with all that. It does it's level design very well since the every area does feel incredibly sterile and artificial, it's just it's less interesting. SA-X is a really cool idea that's used a bit too sparingly. I also found the boss fights to not quite make a lot of sense. Like I get that the ship is trying to develop bio-weapons ultimately but it's a bit contrived. It's a small nitpick, because it otherwise plays super well, but I like when Metroid went weird and organic.

I've managed to keep myself mostly in the dark about Dread. It looks interesting, aside from how good it sounds like it plays, because it leans heavily on the robotics with the EMIs, who seem to represent a more constant SA-X threat, which I love the idea of, since it means you got to familiarize yourself with the map and escape routes, unless they're only in specific set-pieces. Don't tell me, I'm sure either option is fine, but I know which would impress me more.

It's an amazing franchise though and it's been great going through the 2D games. I'd love to replay Prime now though I really don't believe it'll come to Switch. What's/when the last port we got? I don't feel like we're getting anymore...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

LuckyCat posted:

Is that the goatman

Among (an)us

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

LuckyCat posted:

Is that the goatman

amogus

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What I loved about Metroid 1 was the feeling of being completely lost on an alien planet.
Give AV a try. Again, it's not for everyone, but it's a really magical game to me. Aside from nailing the hostile-alien-planet-why-am-I-here? aspect, it's the only game I know if that actually incorporates NES-style jank as a gameplay mechanic.

Also, it's one of those games created by one guy. Which, I think games generally should be evaluated the same if they're made by a single person or a team, but I can very much appreciate that solo-efforts represent an uncompromised artistic vision. Although I think that might apply more to AV2 since Tom Happ had some pretty serious life experiences during the latter's development.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Metroid 2 then compresses that and you feel seriously trapped. Like you know when in Minecraft you fall down a pit and have no torches? Something like that. It's neat, though linear, but I really felt the stress and the seriousness of the mission. Having the omnipresent counter for Metroids tells you that poo poo's going to get real early on, since those are late stage enemies in 1.
Metroid II was/is one of my favorite games. You can't really do a Metroid-style game on the Game Boy without feeling claustrophobic due to the limitations of the screen, but they really leaned into that as part of the atmosphere which I think was to its advantage. Admittedly it's difficult to get into now since handheld technology has progressed so much, but if for some reason you don't want to play AM2R (or already have) and do want to revisit the OG I recommend the EJRTQ Colorization patch which I think only adds to the original.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I've managed to keep myself mostly in the dark about Dread. It looks interesting, aside from how good it sounds like it plays, because it leans heavily on the robotics with the EMIs, who seem to represent a more constant SA-X threat, which I love the idea of, since it means you got to familiarize yourself with the map and escape routes, unless they're only in specific set-pieces. Don't tell me, I'm sure either option is fine, but I know which would impress me more.
I ... well ... I'll await your opinions on Dread.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It's an amazing franchise though and it's been great going through the 2D games. I'd love to replay Prime now though I really don't believe it'll come to Switch. What's/when the last port we got? I don't feel like we're getting anymore...
I actually do believe the Prime remake is real and something we might get next year. Either way, since we're not going to get remakes of Prime 2 or 3 anytime soon it's still worth figuring all that out.

There's two versions of Prime: the GameCube original and the "New Play Control!" version for the Wii that came to the west as part of Metroid Prime Trilogy. MPT is available on the Wii U as a download, but it's still just the Wii game.

The control scheme in MPT Prime is actually really good since using the wiimote to aim gives you mouse-level precision compared to gamepad controls. There's a version of Dolphin, PrimeHack, that actually grafts keyboard/mouse controls into Prime, although even with standalone Prime you can map things to gamepad controls without too much difficulty.

One of these days I'm going to try to get MPT working on my Steam Deck since I think it would be great with the trackpad. If it wasn't for the Prime remake potentially coming out I'd probably already done it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

this doesnt happen, if you have high tier enemies around zombies will appear lol

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

15 minutes until we get more information about the obvious GOTY and some dumb shooter game for kids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsV0YD0IBqk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Inzombiac posted:

15 minutes until we get more information about the obvious GOTY and some dumb shooter game for kids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsV0YD0IBqk

Sports Story is being shown?