Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Cartoon Man posted:

I like how the cops are keeping it for themselves. Like anybody is gonna come claim it…

They need something to hold while the firemen gently caress their wives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://defector.com/get-a-load-of-these-dolts/

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Well this is just layers of edgy racism that I'm in no way qualified to peel back.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

quote:

“I’m here to defend myself of all claims of racism,” is how Mary began her statement before hitting us with an all-time great but. “But before I do that, in full disclosure, I do have a Twitter parody account that operates under a veil of a persona, and I have made blatantly racist comments under that persona. The culture of Twitter operates that way, and part of its charm—I don’t want to say charm—it gives you an opportunity to be someone that you’re not, in terms of a persona.” That’s an interesting take on the situation, Mary, though perhaps someone else could look at this and make the argument that Twitter gives people like you the opportunity to be someone they very much are. Just something to think about!
Wait until they find her FYAD posts.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Thats too many words to say "I am a internet troll / edge lord".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3aF_u1zw7U

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/emollick/status/1562143652180365323

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Remember that all of those people were absolutely drunk off their asses when singing those songs.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/lifestyle...ins/ar-AA113mJX

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That seems suspect

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

You know they have done some freaky poo poo before they had kids.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Next time on Maury...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Burkion posted:

That seems suspect

Not really. Inbreeding problems are related more to how many similar/identical genes get passed down over time than straight relation. King Charles II was more inbred than someone born of a sibling marriage because the sheer levels of inbreeding before him min-maxed the chromosomal chaos. I find it perfectly believable that two sets of unrelated identical twins could create a very weird result.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/theavclub/status/1562481245929361414?s=21&t=xCo5HL1NR6orsZG34iVz5A

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

chitoryu12 posted:

Not really. Inbreeding problems are related more to how many similar/identical genes get passed down over time than straight relation. King Charles II was more inbred than someone born of a sibling marriage because the sheer levels of inbreeding before him min-maxed the chromosomal chaos. I find it perfectly believable that two sets of unrelated identical twins could create a very weird result.

Problem here it's only one time. C1 here should still be noticably further apart than can be expected from sibling pairs

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Genetically identical twins are, well... identical.

So A+B is the same lottery as A2+B2

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's still some lines of inquiry on how epigenetics affect sperm or egg viability among other stuff to explain the prevalence of non neurotypical or homosexual children for older parents or in different sibling order (beside other less obvious things) that could result in drift over generations if you were to somehow keep having identical twins that married identical twins.

But definitely close enough to call identical twin couples' babies as genetic siblings.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

But now we're in a semantic discussion about the threshold for categorising pairs as "effectively siblings", or "noticably different" for that matter.

gently caress it, I'll agree to them being closely related and if anyone want to go further than that then be my guest.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

chitoryu12 posted:

Everyone remembers Charles II but his niece turned out even more inbred than he did.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Random nucleotide polymorphism

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tunicate posted:

Genetically identical twins are, well... identical.

To within five genes, more or less.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 06:14 on Aug 25, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Corporate songs and such are still a thing in Japan iirc.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i had an mp3 of a corporate song from the 90s, it was like "KPMG we're strong as can be, the dream of power and synergy" lol

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/GrogsGamut/status/1562672423694368768

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Fifteen percent of users answered “yes” to “is Pepsi O.K.?”

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Carthag Tuek posted:

i had an mp3 of a corporate song from the 90s, it was like "KPMG we're strong as can be, the dream of power and synergy" lol

Bloody hell, I remember this. Someone had it on their first gen ipod on the school bus, and we all took turns listening to it because I guess portable speakers weren't a thing in 2002.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Seems like a strong candidate for selection bias since the samples are submitted by members of the public, right? So there's a higher likelihood of samples being from people that were like "yo this ain't poo poo, send some in to get tested"

like "The dealer Baby Laxative Georg is an outlier and should not have been counted"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1561674556858933249

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Everyone remembers Charles II but his niece turned out even more inbred than he did.

Who?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Symantec is In Da House.mp3

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Mary II?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Corporate songs and such are still a thing in Japan iirc.

Some friends who work at a university where I used to work showed us a video of an 2015(?) employee appreciation event where a mindblowingly awful song was performed. I can only describe the music as a cross between the most bombastic parts of “I Will Always Love You” and “I Believe I Can Fly”, and the lyrics were equally melodramatic, along the lines of “You’re the {University} heroes! You’re in the labs/You’re in the libraries every day/You’re working hard for {University}/You’re the {University} heeeeee-rooooooooooes” and so on.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Lady Disdain posted:

Bloody hell, I remember this. Someone had it on their first gen ipod on the school bus, and we all took turns listening to it because I guess portable speakers weren't a thing in 2002.

lol

also, lame its not synergy :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCvKXgp-Awo

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Maria Antonia, daughter of Charles II's sister Margaret Theresa, had an inbreeding coefficiant of .3053 to his coefficiant of .254. Like all good Habsburgs, Maria Antonia's parents were uncle and niece and her dad insisted his wife call him uncle. They also persecuted Jews because Margaret Theresa was convinced they were the reason her babies died. For a while there were talks about marrying Maria Antonia to Charles II but she married a cousin instead, popped out a kid, and was miserable until she died.

Either way, despite being even more inbred Maria Antonia didn't have the severe disabilites Charles II had and neither did his sister. Given that she and her mom were relatively okay despite a hosed up genetic history there's still a lot debate about just how much extensive inbreeding contributed to Charles II hosed up body and developmental disabilites but needless to say 200 years of keeping it in the family probably didn't help.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Maria Antonia, daughter of Charles II's sister Margaret Theresa, had an inbreeding coefficiant of .3053 to his coefficiant of .254. Like all good Habsburgs, Maria Antonia's parents were uncle and niece and her dad insisted his wife call him uncle. They also persecuted Jews because Margaret Theresa was convinced they were the reason her babies died.
I read this as Margaret Thatcher and just kind of accepted it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Splicer posted:

I read this as Margaret Thatcher and just kind of accepted it.

I read it as ROnald Srimp and died.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I can't read

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LUCKY DUCKY!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ABC News posted:

NSW Police seize record 1.8 tonnes of ice at Sydney's Port Botany

NSW Police say they have carried out Australia's biggest ice bust which they suspect was organised by a major international criminal syndicate.
Why would a criminal syndicate organise a police operation?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tiggum posted:

[url=https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-08-26/record-ice-haul-at-sydney-port-botany/101374568]

Why would a criminal syndicate organise a police operation?

To reduce competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I feel like some context needs to be attached to these big drug bust stories:

• The people who smuggle drugs into Australia now that shipments are going to get caught, they aren't naïve, it's just a cost of doing business.
  • If the drug smugglers are so cocky that they are bringing in huge shipments like that they must be doing a roaring trade.
  • If this is the size of the stuff the police are catching, just imagine what's getting through.
  • Any dent in supply inevitably leads to an increase in the street price.
  • Busts like these always quote the street value of the bust (physical weight of the drugs divided by the weight of an average dose sold on the street multiplied by street price) which is misleading in so many different ways.
  • In Sydney they strip search 13 year old girls based on a suspicion of them having drugs.

Tune in next week for the next edition of Methamphetamine Media Watch.