Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Another brand new map for the hard campaign, this one establishing the Andy-Hawke rivalry which would in the next game... go nowhere because they removed Andy from the story, but be included as a mechanical bonus if you used them together!

Hard 6: Sea for All

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Melth posted:

Not technically one of my videos, but AdvanceWarrior just posted this one of a special match we played:

Advance Warrior Final Front 3v1 Special

I could feel him wince at the tricks you were pulling in that game.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Donkringel posted:

I could feel him wince at the tricks you were pulling in that game.

Could you feel me wince at all the times I had a plan but the three of us didn't coordinate?

We had a discord channel for the 3 of us, but I don't think anyone actually read the messages from the others before taking a turn.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Hard 7: Mountain Ops

I love this mission! It has a very unique style and feel to it with mountains everywhere but no air units. It should probably have been a bit tougher, but still.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Advance Wars By Web: I Reap What I Snow

In this global league match, I try to reach a nice, satisfying ranking of 1000!

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Hey Melth! I didn't know you were a goon.

I recently made a new Advance Wars megathread in games, and linked your LP there in the OP. Feel free to cross-post your future AWBW videos there for more exposure.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4002244

Melth posted:

Not technically one of my videos, but AdvanceWarrior just posted this one of a special match we played:

Advance Warrior Final Front 3v1 Special
What was Advance Warrior using to cast that match? It seems a lot nicer than the standard replay viewer.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

literally this big posted:

What was Advance Warrior using to cast that match? It seems a lot nicer than the standard replay viewer.

I believe it's this: https://github.com/DeamonHunter/AWBW-Replay-Player. (latest release page)

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Hey Melth! I didn't know you were a goon.

I recently made a new Advance Wars megathread in games, and linked your LP there in the OP. Feel free to cross-post your future AWBW videos there for more exposure.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4002244

Cool, I'll check out that thread!

I think Advance Warrior is using, as Staltran said, the AWBW-Replay-Player. I've been using it too, starting with my match with Starduster. The guy who made it, DeamonHunter, is great and added lots of helpful features I requested which helped make that video.

https://github.com/DeamonHunter/AWBW-Replay-Player/releases/tag/v0.9.0

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Caught up with this thread and I want to thank you for doing it! High quality stuff, and fun to watch.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
These multiplayer videos are hilarious. Just 'who's this new guyAAAAAAAHHHHHH HE'S KILLING US ALL!'

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Chakan posted:

Caught up with this thread and I want to thank you for doing it! High quality stuff, and fun to watch.

Thanks! I'm glad you like it.

Cythereal posted:

These multiplayer videos are hilarious. Just 'who's this new guyAAAAAAAHHHHHH HE'S KILLING US ALL!'

I wonder how far I can keep that up! I'm approaching my 20th game with no losses.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Hard 8: Liberation

One of the roughest factory missions of them all, and I would say the single biggest spike in difficulty in Hard Campaign compared to normal.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Man, the AI didn't look like it was making any big mistakes in that run in terms of handling their factory. Good thing it prioritizes unit production from its west bass over its eastern one, or that would've been way trickier.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 10, 2022

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Delphisage posted:

Man, the AI didn't look like it was making any big mistakes in that run in terms of handling their factory. Good thing it prioritizes unit production from its west factory over its eastern one, or that would've been way trickier.

Yeah, that's another reason not to kill their infantry and mechs early if you don't need to- the ai will feel compelled to rebuild them, which increases the change of building something on that eastern base instead of leaving it mostly empty.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
I'm super stoked to have gotten another Hard Campaign video. For a while, I think I was feeling the same longing as the fans of my own thread(s) xD!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Hard 9: Show Stopper

If Liberation is the level which got the biggest difficulty jump on hard mode, Show Stopper arguably gets the biggest difficulty decrease. It's still a brutal beginning, but the time limit is now absurdly huge instead of way too small, so if you win at all, you can probably get a perfect rank.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
You know, I recently read CosmicPostman's Advance Wars 2 LP...and he makes a good point. This map is almost exactly like The Final Battle in Advance Wars 1. You have a VASTLY superior army just devastating you for the first few turns...Only for you to slowly, painfully, turn the tides with superior unit production numbers. They're all about slowly chipping away at a mountain, one units at a time...

Of course, Fog of War kind of ruins everything, but...Still.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Criminy, Sonja's luck deficit was acting up like mad this level. And even then, there were still plenty of opportunities it could've thwarted you even harder.

After Sea of Hope, are you going to go straight through the YC campaign, or will you be following with Toy Box and Neotanks?! afterwards?

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Delphisage posted:

Criminy, Sonja's luck deficit was acting up like mad this level. And even then, there were still plenty of opportunities it could've thwarted you even harder.

After Sea of Hope, are you going to go straight through the YC campaign, or will you be following with Toy Box and Neotanks?! afterwards?

I guess we'll see about the order!

Just like in normal campaign I want to do the final YC mission before the final BM mission, so Kanbei can help out with that final BM one. But I could certainly mix up the order of the others.

And you're right, Sonja's weird luck really caused some problems here, but it could always be worse!

Fionordequester posted:

You know, I recently read CosmicPostman's Advance Wars 2 LP...and he makes a good point. This map is almost exactly like The Final Battle in Advance Wars 1. You have a VASTLY superior army just devastating you for the first few turns...Only for you to slowly, painfully, turn the tides with superior unit production numbers. They're all about slowly chipping away at a mountain, one units at a time...

Of course, Fog of War kind of ruins everything, but...Still.

That's true, though I think there were a lot of AW1 maps like that, and even a couple more in this game too.
I'm glad they didn't use it too often in this game though since I think it usually makes for boring missions where victory is certain, maybe with a couple restarts of the first few turns required.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Hard 10: Sea of Hope

One of my favorite lab missions, back for round 2.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Oh dang, I thought just popping your co power and ignoring the recon might have worked for a safe space at the end, but it looks like it would have had just enough attack power to guarantee dropping the infantry to 9hp.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Kanbei being a tank never gets old.

I wonder if that mech could've survived the triple bomber onslaught if the luck rolled really well. Probably not, since damage units take increases the lower their health gets.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Delphisage posted:

Kanbei being a tank never gets old.

I wonder if that mech could've survived the triple bomber onslaught if the luck rolled really well. Probably not, since damage units take increases the lower their health gets.

Sadly (thankfully?) 2 bombers vs a Kanbei mech on a city is a guaranteed kill. But juuuuuust barely. 44% minimum damage on the first shot, and then 57% minimum on the second.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

I love Kanbei's whole schtick. He's so hammy and bombastic, and comes off as such a doofus...and then you actually fight him, and he's quite possibly the most horrifyingly strong man you've ever seen—possibly even more so than Sturm (at least if the map is small enough, and there's not enough heavy terrain).

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Fionordequester posted:

I love Kanbei's whole schtick. He's so hammy and bombastic, and comes off as such a doofus...and then you actually fight him, and he's quite possibly the most horrifyingly strong man you've ever seen—possibly even more so than Sturm (at least if the map is small enough, and there's not enough heavy terrain).

I like that too- at least in this game. In AW1, way too many COs were written as just being hotheaded idiots, so Kanbei didn't really stand out to me. Even Kanbei got a little more serious in this one I'd say.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Great LP so far, I'm really digging it (and your Dark Souls LP as well).

Do you promote your videos at all (other than posting here on SA)? I've had good results from posting on the AWBW Discord and Reddit.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Great LP so far, I'm really digging it (and your Dark Souls LP as well).

Do you promote your videos at all (other than posting here on SA)? I've had good results from posting on the AWBW Discord and Reddit.

I haven't ever really promoted them much, perhaps I should do more of that. Here's a new one!

Advance Wars By Web: The Waltz of the Olafs

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

I'd seen it uploaded on my subscriptions. But, to be honest, I'm more interested in the Campaign.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

The awbw stuff is interesting to me just because the map design meta is just so... different from the main games and it seems to play completely different as a result.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

FoolyCharged posted:

The awbw stuff is interesting to me just because the map design meta is just so... different from the main games and it seems to play completely different as a result.

And people in the AWBW will talk as if this is the only conceivable way to design maps, and say things like 'Grit is weaker in fog' as if it was an ironclad truth instead of just a result of the current fog map-making meta being terrible for Grit!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The other thing the map meta has going on that gets me is how the maps are designed aesthetically. A lot of the campaign and war room maps look like a reasonable landmass, make a fun shape, or tell a story with a clear set of objectives. Meanwhile it seems the vast majority of AWBW mapmakers looked at toybox and said "this is the very pinnacle of what I want my maps to be." Which admittedly does allow for some creative tactical scenarios, but it's a pretty jarring difference when it's right next to your campaign stuff.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

FoolyCharged posted:

The other thing the map meta has going on that gets me is how the maps are designed aesthetically. A lot of the campaign and war room maps look like a reasonable landmass, make a fun shape, or tell a story with a clear set of objectives. Meanwhile it seems the vast majority of AWBW mapmakers looked at toybox and said "this is the very pinnacle of what I want my maps to be." Which admittedly does allow for some creative tactical scenarios, but it's a pretty jarring difference when it's right next to your campaign stuff.

It's worth noting that there are characters who benefit from plains or roads or other terrain types specifically. They do tend to be incredibly ugly, but as you mentioned, the tactical options they present are really interesting.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Presumably, the "aesthetically pleasing" stuff is left up to the casual games—not for matches testing skill vs skill.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Fionordequester posted:

Presumably, the "aesthetically pleasing" stuff is left up to the casual games—not for matches testing skill vs skill.

I think some of the maps I've played on have looked reasonably good. I liked Starduster's map. Tornado Road is pretty good looking too. There are a decent number that don't look like the Toybox jumble at least.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I think the biggest issue, if anything, is that perfect symmetry is a very rare thing to see in maps of real landmasses, but is very desirable from a game balance perspective. So when the primary goal in map design here is "provides a skill-testing competitive experience for high-level players", they tend to end up having a certain artificial or contrived feeling to them. (This also isn't helped by the way a lot of these map designers use the shoal terrain, IMO.)

I don't think this is really a problem you can solve, though. Ingame, the Campaign and War Room maps mostly don't have quite this look, but they're intentionally designed to be imbalanced as single player experiences versus AI (while the game lets you do it, I don't think anyone really plays human v human on War Room maps?). Even with the symmetrical maps there ends up being a lot of talk about how to eliminate things like first-player advantage; in theory, an asymmetric map might be able to help there, but in practice it adds so many more variables they'll end up being harder to balance.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Hard 11: Sensei's Return's Return

The best normal mode fog mission is still one of the best in hard mode!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Hard 12: Silo Scramble

I have a new respect for this mission! After watching a few other youtubers struggle with it or get < 300 points, I realized it's a bit more challenging than I thought and it is a great test of efficient APC usage.

Added to that, playing as Kanbei is always fun and so is using a collection of missile silos creatively, so this is one of my new favorite missions.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Almost had a problem as I heard the first "nuclear launch detected" mid-drink, but crisis averted!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

pokeyman posted:

Almost had a problem as I heard the first "nuclear launch detected" mid-drink, but crisis averted!

That sound makes me frantically look around for red dots like a cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Hard 13: Foul Play

Sensei's second mission is a lot tougher this time around, but I was able to win in the minimum possible amount of time.