Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I feel like there has been some under the scenes fights cause steve looked serious-angry at the issue rather than the usual joking-angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I don't think that needs to be the case, it's perfectly within character for Linus' dismissive and defensive behaviour to have gotten Steve's bile up.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

njsykora posted:

I don't think that needs to be the case, it's perfectly within character for Linus' dismissive and defensive behaviour to have gotten Steve's bile up.

if he argued with anyone it was in his audience i bet. the overlap between the two is massive given they've crossed over repeatedly and generally were friends of the channel, and you can see even ITT that people get very defensive about their purchases, or perceive subjective statements about specific qualities as a personal attack. he repeats over and over statements in the vein of "some people won't like to hear this" etc, i bet that's who he's talking to. he has to explain very patiently to the audience why they're treating LTT like a company and not like they're his pal linus.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
The comments on Steve’s video are broadly supportive, if that means anything.

Not knowing what might have happened behind the scenes, he just seems annoyed with Linus’ whole roll with the punches approach which the t shirt kind of encapsulates. I think he’s right that it’s not even that Linus doesn’t face his mistakes head on, but does the exact worst thing and rides the controversy for profit, which feels very exploitative of LMGs audience on multiple levels (and then boasts on camera how much money they’ve made off the controversy). That all is just complete red rag to a bull territory for GN.

njsykora posted:

Yeah this essentially.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Grumbles posted:

The comments on Steve’s video are broadly supportive, if that means anything.

Not knowing what might have happened behind the scenes, he just seems annoyed with Linus’ whole roll with the punches approach which the t shirt kind of encapsulates. I think he’s right that it’s not even that Linus doesn’t face his mistakes head on, but does the exact worst thing and rides the controversy for profit, which feels very exploitative of LMGs audience on multiple levels (and then boasts on camera how much money they’ve made off the controversy). That all is just complete red rag to a bull territory for GN.

Yeah and like he said, if Artesian Builds had put out a "Reroll" shirt in the wake of that influencer stream everyone on the internet would've been on their asses within a second. Especially if they then bragged on a later stream about how many of them they'd sold.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

njsykora posted:

Yeah, you see this a lot where Youtubers aren't willing to openly criticise other Youtubers and when they do it's treated as 'Youtube drama', which is part of what makes Steve's angle of "No, this is a big company they should be treated like any other" so refreshing.

I mean, to an extent I agree, but GN is not in the business of reviewing screwdrivers, backpacks, or t-shirts last I checked. So going out of his way to criticize Linus on this kind of IS youtube drama, even if he's right (and he is)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Grumbles posted:

Linus doesn’t face his mistakes head on, but does the exact worst thing and rides the controversy for profit, which feels very exploitative of LMGs audience on multiple levels (and then boasts on camera how much money they’ve made off the controversy).
So, standard youtuber behaviour.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
standard youtubers don't usually manufacturer ultrapremium backpacks. it's not the audience's fault that behaviors standardized to one market don't work as well in others.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Even if GN doesn’t review LTT products normally, they both sell or are going to sell screwdrivers (GN has that toolkit), LMG is working on more products that GN does review, and LMG is definitely trying to angle in on GN’s testing focus. (Aside but the LTT video about their power supply tester is a shockingly incompetently appearing thing next to everything on GN about power supply testing - if you can’t find it, it’s “the most expensive thing I’ve ever bought”.)

Linus is openly becoming more and more money-seeking at every opportunity and like Steve said LMG is larger than some companies they do review. I think this is a culmination of LMG changing, and this mess with the backpack warranty/trust me shirt, and Steve thinking and talking to people since he talked about the backpack warranty two…? weeks ago.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I mean, to an extent I agree, but GN is not in the business of reviewing screwdrivers, backpacks, or t-shirts last I checked. So going out of his way to criticize Linus on this kind of IS youtube drama, even if he's right (and he is)

LMG is way more than just the Youtube channel(s) they run now, Steve even said that they're bigger than some manufacturers that they work with. The cut off point needs to be somewhere and LMG crossed it years ago.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

True, but then that backpack, overengineered as it is, is marketed as a tech accessory for computer nerds, beyond just being branded merch, and costs as much as an entry level GPU (pre-apocalypse). I can definitely see it feeling more in the same space as designer PC cases or whatever. But I mean, although they haven't indicated that they have any plans to review it, calling out shady practices in the tech space is definitely up GN's street.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
also i hadn't gotten to that chunk of the video but the stuff in the GN video with luke in it is imo VERY out of character for him. i didn't watch the original context but actually insisting they change the topic like that is i think the strongest negative reaction to linus he's ever done on the air in the limited time i watched it.

it's opaque how floatplane is doing but he seems much better at buttoning up on corpo stuff in public. must be frustrating.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jeff Fatwood posted:

LMG is way more than just the Youtube channel(s) they run now, Steve even said that they're bigger than some manufacturers that they work with. The cut off point needs to be somewhere and LMG crossed it years ago.

Right. But my point is that nothing LMG produces is within GamersNexus' usual purview, so they are going outside their typical scope of coverage in order to criticize Linus, which is not something anyone would ordinarily expect them to do. Again, I agree with Steve's points, but this is clearly some youtube drama and not just their normal industry criticism.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i would assume that steve feels that he's getting dragged into it one way or another, and not saying something is going to look like a deliberate choice that could make him look bad

it's non-tech merch, but it's a tech channel that constantly chews out other companies for bad consumer practices. i think getting into it and staying out of it both making sense with neither being more dramatic over the other

also it's probably going to make it a little easier for the ltt employees to voice a little more dissent, since calling out big youtubers is never a fun experience for anyone

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Right. But my point is that nothing LMG produces is within GamersNexus' usual purview, so they are going outside their typical scope of coverage in order to criticize Linus, which is not something anyone would ordinarily expect them to do. Again, I agree with Steve's points, but this is clearly some youtube drama and not just their normal industry criticism.
It's not in GN's review space as GN avoids conflicts where they produce products and also review competitors. There was the whole situation where they had the opportunity to build a pc case and took it to their community rather than running ahead with it, weighing the pros and cons in public. Artesian Builds was all about a twitch stream - do you think that's just twitch drama or were they overstepping bounds by talking about the contents of that stream and subsequent fallout? On that note it's strange that of the big tech youtubers only one of them properly followed up on AB and went to the lengths to get a decent investigation of what actually happened, but that's the culture being largely promoted.

Given the issue with warranties in the US as a whole and right to repair I'm not at all surprised GN are talking about it. They've always been put in an awkward situation with how childish the youtube tech audience are with thinking channels are their friends. I never got the impression GN were happy with collabs with LTT/J2C/other red flags either, because they're largely the exception to acting in a professional manner while acknowledging their responsibilities and influence on their audience. If they were ever to say anything substantial on the technical capabilities of other reviewers they'd get this kind of response where it gets put under youtube drama and not a company calling out another company for bad practices.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i will never get tired of hub subtweeting jay's worst tech takes

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

kliras posted:

i will never get tired of hub subtweeting jay's worst tech takes

he even did a recent one on the Intel driver video lmao

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i am largely fine with tech channels having overclocking rivalries or whatever, it's the products that become a problem. i would actually say steve seemed to really enjoy the ripsteve and ripjay stuff

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

kliras posted:

it's non-tech merch, but it's a tech channel that constantly chews out other companies for bad consumer practices. i think getting into it and staying out of it both making sense with neither being more dramatic over the other

I don't agree that it's non-tech merch, or even merch. I mean it is, but it was marketed as this key new part of your tech daily driver loadout (or whatever buzzwords nerds now use for "things they use on a day to day basis"). A separate pocket to solve each of your problems. It's not a tote bag with an LTT logo on it, it's supposed to be this high end organising tool which is as much a part of the computer nerd lifestyle as a fancy PC case with well-designed cable management routing. So in that sense it's definitely in the GN ballpark.

I still don't think GN will review it, even though they really should, because I want to hear the words 'Homer's car' from Steve's own lips.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
maaaybe, but more in a kickstarter type of way. i am more concerned with their ifixit-like kit of screwdrivers etc where obviously it's absurd to not offer a significant warranty for hard metal tools. even if it's just a phillips screwdriver, that stuff clearly just needs to be top tier

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

You can also read it (and I think other posters in this thread have said the same) as trying to prevent the potential hypocrisy if LTT Labs starts up and then isn’t holding manufacturers to the same standard as themselves. Especially given, as Steve pointed out, that LMG is bigger than some of the companies they’ll probably be testing there.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

kliras posted:

maaaybe, but more in a kickstarter type of way. i am more concerned with their ifixit-like kit of screwdrivers etc where obviously it's absurd to not offer a significant warranty for hard metal tools. even if it's just a phillips screwdriver, that stuff clearly just needs to be top tier

Most computer/electronics stuff uses screws with very soft metal so the "stress" on a tool not made from the shittiest pot metal will easily not damage a toolset for the seven years provided by GN. You don't need Beta screwdrivers for repairing a Dell.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

njsykora posted:

You can also read it (and I think other posters in this thread have said the same) as trying to prevent the potential hypocrisy if LTT Labs starts up and then isn’t holding manufacturers to the same standard as themselves. Especially given, as Steve pointed out, that LMG is bigger than some of the companies they’ll probably be testing there.

lol can't wait for "LTT Labs approved" logos on product promos and packaging that means about as much as HDR400 or 80Plus White

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

njsykora posted:

I like that he pointed out that LMG is bigger than some of the PC parts companies they deal with at this point. Also man that loving WAN Show clip of Luke visibily irritated about the shirt while Linus rubs it in his face about how well the shirt sold.

That exchange made me feel genuinely bad for Luke. Dude's just trying to run a business (n.b. I know basically nothing about floatplane so I have no idea if he's any good at it) and next to him is Linus just making fun of his own audience and loving every step of the way.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

When people talk about Linus being scummy I just remember the April fool's video they did where it was literally nothing but sponsor spots and then Linus went on a wan show and confirmed that not only did they get paid for every single sponsor spot it was one of their highest income videos in a long time (because no one is skipping the sponsor spots because it's the whole video)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grapplejack posted:

When people talk about Linus being scummy I just remember the April fool's video they did where it was literally nothing but sponsor spots and then Linus went on a wan show and confirmed that not only did they get paid for every single sponsor spot it was one of their highest income videos in a long time (because no one is skipping the sponsor spots because it's the whole video)

holy poo poo

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I didn’t know there was a GN/JayzTwoCents collab, I imagine it’s just Jay clowning around and Steve getting progressively more exasperated.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
they competed against each other in that linus tech tips pc diagnosis challenge, where i started watching both those channels actually. then afterwards during the 30 series launch they competed with extreme overclocking using LN2 while always including ripjay or ripsteve if someone won. they friendly rivalry snipe at each other too, it all seems pretty good natured there.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Grapplejack posted:

Good lord… I can’t believe this. It’s just so cynical to your audience. How do people like him after this crap.

I bet that there will be or already is a video of Linus describing his audience as a bunch of drooling idiots who’ll watch whatever he wants them to.

Yikes

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

CoolCab posted:

also i hadn't gotten to that chunk of the video but the stuff in the GN video with luke in it is imo VERY out of character for him. i didn't watch the original context but actually insisting they change the topic like that is i think the strongest negative reaction to linus he's ever done on the air in the limited time i watched it.

it's opaque how floatplane is doing but he seems much better at buttoning up on corpo stuff in public. must be frustrating.

His life was flashing before his eyes as he watched Linus not shutting the gently caress up and smuggly bumbling through a PR disaster that could very easily ended up just like the Artesian Builds one. We've talked at length in this thread about how totally out of touch Linus is, and this is just more proof of it. Dude can't shut up and dude can't read the room.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Wait has the Linus Labs thing been releasing videos/reviews? I hadn't noticed. I don't really watch Linus much anymore.

Apparently what they have released is underwhelming?

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

I mean, GN put out at least 3 videos on the AMD mountain bike death trap. Tech adjacent stuff isn't new for them.

There can also be a little Youtuber schadenfreude thrown in there for fun

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
On that note, does Steve put out any more biking content?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

he has a side channel for that kind of thing but he hasn't posted anything there for a year

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClbZahXiEFVawqXjhVoh3iw/videos

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

repiv posted:

he has a side channel for that kind of thing but he hasn't posted anything there for a year

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClbZahXiEFVawqXjhVoh3iw/videos

He moved that kind of videos to GN extras.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

oh right

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgeS8J9W62B-uLBgzp14BtQ/videos

not much going on there either though

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Tuxedo Gin posted:

His life was flashing before his eyes as he watched Linus not shutting the gently caress up and smuggly bumbling through a PR disaster that could very easily ended up just like the Artesian Builds one. We've talked at length in this thread about how totally out of touch Linus is, and this is just more proof of it. Dude can't shut up and dude can't read the room.

People didn’t realise that when he took sponsorships from RAID: SHADOW LEGENDS and Nicehash?

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swOj0wvuCO8

This video is already out there. We aren't going to paper over it, but with that in mind, I read you loud and clear and we will think carefully about our partnerships in the mining space moving forward.

lmao

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Also what the hell is this.

" this video does NOT advocate for the kind of large scale commercial mining that does the majority of the harm."

When ten thousand nerds worldwide use their ~300W RTX cards full bore and hundreds of smaller crypto gpu hoarders dry their strawberries on gpu exhaust, the impact is exactly the same as centralized industrial miner operations. Making it decentralized doesn't make it any better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Linus is clearly just a money hungry piece of poo poo and everyone should hate him.