Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Opopanax posted:

It's insane how poorly things have been over there. WB has trouble getting good movies out of their trinity, meanwhile Marvel gets people to love Ant Man and the Guardians of the Galaxy

I wonder if that is part of Marvel's success, though - that they aren't trotting out tired takes on the usual characters. Does DC not have a backlog of minor heroes that they can redraw for the first time on screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely don't think any amount of Flashpoint is going to save the current DCEU because it's just a giant convoluted mess and trying to justify an in-story retcon isn't going to change that. They have all the problems of a shared universe but pretty much none of the benefits.

Yeah this, instead of doing a film with a retcon in it that resets the board and "lets them tell a new story in a shared universe" or whatever, just do the second part. Just tell some stories and if some of them connect, cool, if they're completely out on their own, also cool.

It felt like for a bit they sorta had it, Aquaman, Shazam and such weren't amazing films but they were perfectly fine. Wonder Woman 2 less so but what they're doing now is baffling.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I don't wanna say that it's Geoff Johns fault for more of the B and C list characters not gaining more traction but

mmm

No on second thought I'm kinda fine with that

There's probably a real institutional problem when instead of building on the major mainstream successes of stuff like Justice League (John Stewart) and the animated Teen Titans (and Go) they insist on doing poo poo with Hal Jordan and... all that stuff that is in the Titans show

I mean on the other hand, you occasionally get something like Peacemaker which benefits from the "Whatever, try anything" approach but it feels like the hits to misses ratio is maybe 1:10

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Also (and I could be wrong) it feels like the time between filming and releasing these movies is way too long. Marvel usually does a two year gap between films in a series, but it feels like many of the DC movies take 3 years to release after filming. Especially with all the delays that keep happening.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I just realized, and it's loving hilarious, that DC movies have done the exact same thing the comics did. Like uh oh, the storylines have become a bit convoluted, there's only one thing that ever solves this! It's time for another universe-wide reboot!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Lancelot posted:

I wonder if that is part of Marvel's success, though - that they aren't trotting out tired takes on the usual characters. Does DC not have a backlog of minor heroes that they can redraw for the first time on screen?

I certainly think so. That first Hulk movie didn't capture the audience's attention the way Iron Man, Thor and Captain America did. The MCU really lucked out with having already licenced away all their proper stars. It's a lot more satisfying to come to see characters you don't already have preconceptions of - if you enjoyed the movie then it is by default the best interpretation of that character you've seen. Batman and Superman are competing for attention with not just all their past adaptations but every joke and parody told about them for the last century, while only real comics nerds will have even heard of Hawkeye.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/OneRadChee/status/1562236426829402142

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

TwoPair posted:

A Christmas Day release? drat, what did Jason Momoa do to the Discovery guys?

The first movie was a Christmas release and did bizarrely, inexplicably well: it’s technically still the highest grossing DC movie ever, although the Nolan movies beat it adjusted for inflation.

The real question at WB is why they kept throwing weird poo poo at the wall instead of doubling down on the public’s apparent Aquaman-mania.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The first movie was a Christmas release and did bizarrely, inexplicably well: it’s technically still the highest grossing DC movie ever, although the Nolan movies beat it adjusted for inflation.

The real question at WB is why they kept throwing weird poo poo at the wall instead of doubling down on the public’s apparent Aquaman-mania.

Aquamania was right there

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is what I’ve been saying since they started this…you can’t eliminate tons of content and expect to come out ahead when you are a content company

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lancelot posted:

Yeah, but they just cancelled them all

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The Batman came out last year and it did pretty good. Honestly Marvel has got a method down to a science right now, for good or bad, and DC can't decide if they want to fully commit to that method or not. Personally I think DC movies are a lot more varied and different, but not necessarily good. You get a fun r-rated Suicide Squad, a Batman movie that is divorced from everything, a superhero version of big, an underrated Birds of Prey, and Aquaman movie that...exists and is stupid.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Gonna try and find it but I read a source somewhere yesterday claiming that the move is at least partially due to WB being too deep in debt to afford more than two theatrical releases this year.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

theironjef posted:

Gonna try and find it but I read a source somewhere yesterday claiming that the move is at least partially due to WB being too deep in debt to afford more than two theatrical releases this year.

sure is a good thing they weren't bought by a company that took on twice the amount of that debt to conduct the purchase and merge those two debt balls together then, huh?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I always grew up a Marvel fan so to me the DC characters and movies just aren’t fun and the characters don’t have charisma.

The serious Marvel characters that aren’t known for their joking side (Hulk, Blade) aren’t the ones that helped grow the MCU, it was Spider-Man and Iron man which are able to have more shallow lighthearted moments.

Snyder and Nolan are also not the directors for that, and these massive behemoth franchises aren’t going to work if you only appeal to 30 year olds.

I’m probably so wrong but that’s my dumb brain casual dude impression.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

related, but not funny, just sad: Twitter thread from Ivory Aquino, who played a major trans supporting character in Batgirl

https://twitter.com/MsIvoryAquino/status/1562704630580396034

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I simply can't imagine the way it would feel to get a part in a major studio's superhero movie, only to find out that never will that movie be released, but it will be destroyed. Add to that representing a marginalized community?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Soonmot posted:

I simply can't imagine the way it would feel to get a part in a major studio's superhero movie, only to find out that never will that movie be released, but it will be destroyed. Add to that representing a marginalized community?

And all for a tax write off

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Lobok posted:

I just realized, and it's loving hilarious, that DC movies have done the exact same thing the comics did. Like uh oh, the storylines have become a bit convoluted, there's only one thing that ever solves this! It's time for another universe-wide reboot!

It’s kind of the opposite, though -

The comics rebooted so they wouldn’t have to keep explaining why there was more than one Batman.

The movies are rebooting so they can explain that there is more than one Batman.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Codependent Poster posted:

And all for a tax write off

The darkly ironic thing is that it probably would have been a flop* - or as much of a flop as it’s possible for a direct to streaming movie to be - but there’s no way it would have generated the negative income that they’ve already lost in subscription cancellations.

A lot of streaming income is generated by people getting used to having the app on their devices and just kind of forgetting that they’re paying a monthly fee. The last thing you want to do is remind people that they’re paying you money by openly reducing product value.

*I mean, I haven’t seen it and I don’t really trust the stories of terrible focus groups, but it wasn’t a movie with a lot of buzz behind it before the cancellation announcement.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I’m starting to think these corporations aren’t nice.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Crisis At One Corporation!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The darkly ironic thing is that it probably would have been a flop* - or as much of a flop as it’s possible for a direct to streaming movie to be - but there’s no way it would have generated the negative income that they’ve already lost in subscription cancellations.

Somebody's probably already made a The Producers joke where DC thinks they can make more money with a subscription service that flops instead of a hit.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Barry Convex posted:

related, but not funny, just sad: Twitter thread from Ivory Aquino, who played a major trans supporting character in Batgirl

Hey whoever was looking for the toxic Snyderbro takes on this earlier, they’re right this way

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Barry Convex posted:

doesn't take long before the SnyderBros swooped in on this one, jesus gently caress.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Don't read the comments. I didn't.

I do feel for her. That crew put in the hard work and is having it destroyed.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jesus gently caress, a mod said zip it with Snyder stuff but you just can't help yourselves that a few pissants are being assholes where from what I am reading a lot of people are supporting that tweet and making parallels to what the previous boss did to Snyder. It's BS that Batgirl is getting shelved. gently caress.

He lives rent free in all your heads, good or bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7QZgH1eP2o

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Splint Chesthair posted:

It’s kind of the opposite, though -

The comics rebooted so they wouldn’t have to keep explaining why there was more than one Batman.

The movies are rebooting so they can explain that there is more than one Batman.

But that's the joke of it. No one ever thinks it needs an explanation other than DC itself. We can't do Batman stuff over here when we're doing Batman stuff over there. Why not? No one gives a poo poo!

And in the comics, by trying to make a simpler status quo that works at the time, they end up creating several status quos (statuses quo?) for an overall far more confusing history.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

A lot of streaming income is generated by people getting used to having the app on their devices and just kind of forgetting that they’re paying a monthly fee. The last thing you want to do is remind people that they’re paying you money by openly reducing product value.

*I mean, I haven’t seen it and I don’t really trust the stories of terrible focus groups, but it wasn’t a movie with a lot of buzz behind it before the cancellation announcement.

Even bad movies find their audiences, though.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

Jesus gently caress, a mod said zip it with Snyder stuff but you just can't help yourselves that a few pissants are being assholes where from what I am reading a lot of people are supporting that tweet and making parallels to what the previous boss did to Snyder. It's BS that Batgirl is getting shelved. gently caress.

are you okay

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
https://twitter.com/MarlowNYC/status/1562815380418338818

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I don't know if it is an intentional thing or not, but given how badly WB/D burned executives, talent, and production staff, you are going to have tons of people who are giving these kinds of stories and interviews with claims like this.

I understand that a lot of this had to happen because of the merger and having so many redundant positions/departments, but they literally handled it the worst way possible by suddenly slashing everything with no explanation, locking peoples' office doors and emailing them that they are let go, or straight up removing the Batgirl director's from the permissions list to access their own movie.

People are going to be pissed and want to go to the media about it and even if they are exaggerating or telling just one perspective, nobody is going to believe WB/D because of how badly they messed this up.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Vintersorg posted:

Gail Simone was just complaining about them this morning so you should probably go tell her she's imagining it too

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

site posted:

Gail Simone was just complaining about them this morning so you should probably go tell her she's imagining it too

Can you read? Where did I say they are fake? It's some assholes out there who make up a small minority of the fanbase. How many loving times does this thread have to be told not to judge an entire fandom based on a few assholes.

But noooo - only Snyder fans are toxic assholes.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

They thought "John from Cincinatti" was a good idea a few years back, I have a pretty good idea how white they are

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

Can you read? Where did I say they are fake? It's some assholes out there who make up a small minority of the fanbase. How many loving times does this thread have to be told not to judge an entire fandom based on a few assholes.

But noooo - only Snyder fans are toxic assholes.

They're not the minority of Snyder fans here, and that's why people are so aggressive about it.

Be the loving change you want to see.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

#notallsnydermen

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Guys have we considered get woke go broke???"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Aphrodite posted:

Be the loving change you want to see.
What's weird is how much attention that guy gets from people.

Someone posted the link to the transperson's tweet about getting to see the film and we got a post saying "oh great, the Snyderbros found the thread" :xd: