Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/YosukeBuchmeier/status/1546301371359567873

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is it just a money thing or what. What do the politicians get out of this? Is the cult that big in Japan?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Vegetable posted:

Is it just a money thing or what. What do the politicians get out of this? Is the cult that big in Japan?
If I had to GUESS, the Moonies might be trying to facilitate Japan rearming in the hopes that they'll fight the North? That's certainly long term thinking.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Vegetable posted:

Funding, free campaign workers, a reliable voting block. If the upper echelons of a party are filled with people who are friends of the church, up and coming politicians must also become friends of the church to advance in the ranks. The connection between LDP and the Unification Church formed way back in the 60's when corruption was more rampant, Abe's grandfather was the party leader and CIA was funding LDP to be the anti-communist power in Japan. LDP and UC shared the same right wing and anti-communist values. It were politicians like Abe's grandfather who helped the church to take root and grow in Japan, which in turn made the church grow wealthier and funnel even more money into politics.

BoldFace fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 11, 2022

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is the LDP (now having a supermajority) known for curtailing womens/LGBT rights?
Also if they revived the army how badly would they piss off South Korea?

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 11, 2022

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life
I figured this would be a good thread to ask this: so, all the Abe articles have mentioned that there was a single gun death in Japan in 2021. but, I can't find any information on this besides people just stating it as fact. is this actually true, and also is the identity of the most unlucky person ever public knowledge?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Is the LDP (now having a supermajority) known for curtailing womens/LGBT rights?
Also if they revived the army how badly would they piss off South Korea?

What LGBT rights? Some local municipalities have established partnerships, but a high court/Supreme Court recently ruled that its constitutional to enforce marriage as between a man and woman, so. At least there isn’t the same always-raging culture war that the US has had for more than 20 years now, the LDP is just focused on restoring the emperor and turning the Self Defense Force into a real Army again.

TrekBek posted:

I figured this would be a good thread to ask this: so, all the Abe articles have mentioned that there was a single gun death in Japan in 2021. but, I can't find any information on this besides people just stating it as fact. is this actually true, and also is the identity of the most unlucky person ever public knowledge?

It sounds true to me, and if it’s not then there’s a single-digit number every year. Assaults/murders with a gun carry much stricter penalties than say with a knife or something else, which is why they’re relatively rare. Add that to the difficulty for common folks to get guns, and you have low death numbers.

I’ve seen posters in train stations and such warning about the dangers of crossbows after a couple of murders with those last year.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So what's the weapon of choice in Japan if you want to kill someone bigger and faster?

They should set a Predator movie in Japan.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Best source I can find for gun deaths in Japan is this AP story about last year, which sources it back to police.

"With a population of 125 million, the country had just 10 gun-related criminal cases last year, resulting in a single death and four injuries, according to police. Eight of those cases were gang-related."

edit: And here's a gunpolicy.org page tracking gun ownerships and gun deaths up to 2017/2018, with its own citations. Generally double digit gun deaths, and single digit homicides (often five or less). As for this year I can't say but it would fit.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 11, 2022

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

stephenthinkpad posted:

So what's the weapon of choice in Japan if you want to kill someone bigger and faster?

I believe you use a car or a large knife/sword. This generally makes it way harder to actually kill a lot of people.

It wouldn't shock me if the one gun death was a suicide or a hunting accident; I think hunting clubs are the main way you can get access to non-airsoft guns in Japan at all.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

TrekBek posted:

The tweet I had seen going around claimed that Abe was the second shooting death of 2022. I searched that at first and didn't find another one, and the only articles I could find for 2021 were for the trials of yakuza murders committed years earlier. There were a fair number of guns being fired, and a couple of attempted murders, but I couldn't find an actual killing. Google's algorithm has gone to poo poo though, and kept throwing American shootings at me even after after muting every possible US-related term.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

harperdc posted:

...the LDP is just focused on restoring the emperor and turning the Self Defense Force into a real Army again.

I recall hearing about Abe wanting to amend or get rid of Article 9 a while back, and I've been meaning to ask in here - generally speaking, what are Japan's military capabilities like right now? I presume the constitution doesn't actually prevent them from stockpiling guns and missiles and planes and so on, as long as they can provide a self defense fig leaf. I know I've seen Japan show up in a lot of top ten lists for military spending. I apologize for this being such a general question. I don't really know anything about this stuff.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Medenmath posted:

I recall hearing about Abe wanting to amend or get rid of Article 9 a while back, and I've been meaning to ask in here - generally speaking, what are Japan's military capabilities like right now? I presume the constitution doesn't actually prevent them from stockpiling guns and missiles and planes and so on, as long as they can provide a self defense fig leaf. I know I've seen Japan show up in a lot of top ten lists for military spending. I apologize for this being such a general question. I don't really know anything about this stuff.

Japan is not so secretly considered one of the best militaries in the world. They have several pseudo-aircraft carriers labeled as something ridiculous like helicopter destroyers, their military is increasingly active in peacekeeping, and they have some fancy tech.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Japan's navy and air force are design to compliment the US force in Asia. If US is doesn't participate in a war, Japan's military are missing a lot of components. Their main naval gears are the faux carriers and some anti-submarine ships.

They also pay alot of money to US every year to feed the US soldiers station in Japan. In a nutshell Japan spent 1% GDP on defense, while China spend about 1.5% with a lot of hidden expenses, with a GDP 3-4 times bigger. Also, from what I understand, S Korea spend about the same amount on the military but they get more bangs for their bucks, with more home grown weapons.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

Their main naval gears

I can't be the only one who misread this at first, can I?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Rochallor posted:

The tweet I had seen going around claimed that Abe was the second shooting death of 2022. I searched that at first and didn't find another one, and the only articles I could find for 2021 were for the trials of yakuza murders committed years earlier. There were a fair number of guns being fired, and a couple of attempted murders, but I couldn't find an actual killing. Google's algorithm has gone to poo poo though, and kept throwing American shootings at me even after after muting every possible US-related term.

There was a doctor held hostage and shot in Fujimino, Saitama back in January.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-60167643

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

stephenthinkpad posted:

Setting buildings on fire, there's been a couple of major ones in the last few years.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Old people driving.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Setting buildings on fire, there's been a couple of major ones in the last few years.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Old people driving.

apparently somebody also tried to start some poo poo at a train station in Hachioji over the weekend with a sickle

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

harperdc posted:

apparently somebody also tried to start some poo poo at a train station in Hachioji over the weekend with a sickle

I thought most murders in Japan were Death Note related.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Japan's minister for birthrate doesn't have any kids but did try a pregnancy belly.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

"At least 20 deputies of Japan Cabinet ministers found to have ties to Unification Church"

for those of us not following all that closely, Kishida just did a cabinet re-shuffle to boost numbers and still managed to stack the deck with folks with links to the Moonies. right-wing loons of a feather flock together

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

criminal lack of pics of the activity described

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Does anyone have any good Japanese dishes that use white fish (halibut or cod most commonly)? Other than tempura!

I've tried simmering it in shoyu, mirin, sake, water and ginger a couple times. It's never that good.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

captkirk posted:

Does anyone have any good Japanese dishes that use white fish (halibut or cod most commonly)? Other than tempura!

I've tried simmering it in shoyu, mirin, sake, water and ginger a couple times. It's never that good.

sir, this is the japanese politics thread

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Mr. Fix It posted:

sir, this is the japanese politics thread

Fuuuuck. Whelp, time to copy paste into the right Japan thread.

But yeah, if anyone has some white fish dishes, please let me know the recipes and their implications for the LDP in a post Abe Japan.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Abe must be a fish because everybody decided he stank the instant after he died! Folks,

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Saute or oven bake that poo poo and serve with some shoyu or a miso-ginger sauce. Add an entrenched political consensus as a side.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rochallor posted:

Abe must be a fish because everybody decided he stank the instant after he died! Folks,

It is pretty wild that Shinzo Abe was murdered in the street and the overarching reaction is "wow the murderer had a point, what is with that freaky church?"

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Has an Evil Religion in a JRPG ever been based on the Moonies?

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Lammasu posted:

Has an Evil Religion in a JRPG ever been based on the Moonies?

Earthbound's Happy Happyism always seemed like it parodied the Moonies specifically.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
a whole 8 new posts in this thread, i thought abe died again

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

VSOKUL girl posted:

a whole 8 new posts in this thread, i thought abe died again

Well there's a suggestion that the fallout from the unification church stuff has basically put his faction on the back foot https://twitter.com/ShingetsuNews/status/1561476139843219457

This same tweeter suggests that it will embolden Kishida to politically distance himself from said faction, if not outright ostracise them to the extent he can.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

The Moonies killing off the LDP would be the only good thing they've ever done.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

It is pretty wild that Shinzo Abe was murdered in the street and the overarching reaction is "wow the murderer had a point, what is with that freaky church?"

It's probably a dire warning sign that Japan's political establishment couldn't survive more political engagement from the population. It's probably the single most shocking event in Japanese politics in my lifetime and this is the takeaway.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

barbecue at the folks posted:

Earthbound's Happy Happyism always seemed like it parodied the Moonies specifically.

I thought they were meant to mock Happy Science.

Edit: Though, after looking at dates, it looks like Earthbound came out two years before Happy Science was officially recognized as a religion, but three years after Ōkawa formed it.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 25, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
A guy on Youtube did a video series on the various anime movies that Happy Science have created over the years. They're as insane as you'd expect, perhaps moreso.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Mother's Basement was probably the channel.

There was one cult in modern Japan where the leader's wife was written to be a divine who was chosen. After their divorce the leader retconned his own mythology so that it was actually his second wife he was talking about.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

AlternateNu posted:

I thought they were meant to mock Happy Science.

Edit: Though, after looking at dates, it looks like Earthbound came out two years before Happy Science was officially recognized as a religion, but three years after Ōkawa formed it.

They were supposed to be Klan members in the Japanese version: https://earthbound.fandom.com/wiki/Happy_Happyism But it's possible that the US game's cult is still based on Happy Science as according to Wikipedia there was even a Happy Science branch in the US in 1994, the cult was formed in 1986, and the US game came out in 1995.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

captkirk posted:

Fuuuuck. Whelp, time to copy paste into the right Japan thread.

But yeah, if anyone has some white fish dishes, please let me know the recipes and their implications for the LDP in a post Abe Japan.

good save :golfclap: