Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Nothing really else to say other than that's more then a bit cringe. :smith:

Confusedslight has issued a correction as of 07:37 on Aug 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1562519924039241728

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

weak, should have used a picture of the polish parliament

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

dugone

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

piss

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

ELTON JOHN posted:

it is so sad when animals go extinct lol

yeah im already not enjoying watching nature die

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

so long and thanks for all the propellers

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

pokemon are were real

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Species go extinct all the time, it's natural, it's fine, it's fine I said, stop worrying about it, please don't put in the newspaper that I'm upset

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

CODChimera posted:

yeah im already not enjoying watching nature die
if it happens on a screen it isn’t really real

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
All these stories about rivers going dry and exposing ancient rock carvings or Buddhist statues all have the underlying implication that the river has been this low before, so don't worry TOO hard folks. The news never explains that river's used to change course quite often before we started dredging channels, or that we moved the river ourselves when we dammed a lake.

I guess the hunger stones in Europe are an exception but I'm not sure.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Microplastics posted:

Species go extinct all the time, it's natural, it's fine, it's fine I said, stop worrying about it, please don't put in the newspaper that I'm upset

imo put it in the newspaper that elton john is upset

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

God Hole posted:

pokemon are were real
always had been

the oldest egyptian cat breed is named Mau

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/25/business/economy/economy-climate-change.html

there's cringe in the economy now

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

James H. Stock, an economist

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Fell Mood posted:

All these stories about rivers going dry and exposing ancient rock carvings or Buddhist statues all have the underlying implication that the river has been this low before, so don't worry TOO hard folks. The news never explains that river's used to change course quite often before we started dredging channels, or that we moved the river ourselves when we dammed a lake.

What a relief, everything is actually just fine!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

THERE'S CRINGE IN THE ECONOMY NOW :negative:

edit: the article dunks on nordhaus and i am here for it

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 15:23 on Aug 25, 2022

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

TeenageArchipelago posted:

The H stands for Hodl.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

TeenageArchipelago posted:

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

What a relief, everything is actually just fine!
:hai:

let dugongs be bygones.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
My name is Bob *looks around* Extinction. Bob Extinction.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

arf was right all along

free arf

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Sometimes it's not what you say but how many times you say it.

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022

Microplastics posted:

The H stands for Hodl.

Holden was right there

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I cringe

You cringe

for climate change

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
https://twitter.com/PaddyFok/status/1562706121957056513?s=20&t=X3PRjgDj8-w1znbMKc59FQ

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

lol

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

:yooge: no you rear end in a top hat DUGIN, not dugong. what have you done

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Cold on a Cob posted:

Man announces he will quit drinking by 2050

A Sydney man has set an ambitious target to phase out his alcohol consumption within the next 29 years, as part of an impressive plan to improve his health.

The program will see Greg Taylor, 73, continue to drink as normal for the foreseeable future, before reducing consumption in 2049 when he turns 101. He has assured friends it will not affect his drinking plans in the short or medium term.

Taylor said it was important not to rush the switch to non-alcoholic beverages. “It’s not realistic to transition to zero alcohol overnight. This requires a steady, phased approach where nothing changes for at least two decades,” he said, adding that he may need to make additional investments in beer consumption in the short term, to make sure no night out is worse off.

Taylor will also be able to bring forward drinking credits earned from the days he hasn’t drunk over the past forty years, meaning the actual end date for consumption may actually be 2060.

To assist with the transition, Taylor has bought a second beer fridge which he describes as the ‘capture and storage’ method.

This is Post Of The Year material, lmfao

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
https://twitter.com/xr_cambridge/status/1562826637842186242?s=20&t=2psf9q_qyHoApfr1um9cIg

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

AEMINAL posted:

drat that one really took off. now i feel bad i forgot to source it :shobon:

https://twitter.com/TheShovel/status/1452763673517195267

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
It is an incredible piece though. I think of it a lot.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Trabisnikof posted:

Which ones banned all the emitting forms of transportation in a enforceable way?

I saw Hong Kong, Singapore, and a few others etc use enforceable mechanisms but didn’t ban the use of natural gas powered transit.
Yo, I just wanted to get irrationally mad at the guy crowing about being first to mandate a technical solution enabling us to continue Consuming our way out of this mess. If it helps I'll admit I was wrong about a number of euro initiatives and thought some of them were far further along the legal pipeline.

Either way, electric cars might buy us some time but they won't save us.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

an actual frog posted:

Yo, I just wanted to get irrationally mad at the guy crowing about being first to mandate a technical solution enabling us to continue Consuming our way out of this mess. If it helps I'll admit I was wrong about a number of euro initiatives and thought some of them were far further along the legal pipeline.

Electric cars and solar and what have you only buy time if their introduction results in a corresponding decrease in the extraction and use of fossil fuels. This has never happened.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Fell Mood posted:

but instead of big gulps it's hunger stones

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

AEMINAL posted:

Frontpage

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Laterite posted:

but instead of big gulps it's hunger stones

have him say cringe instead of big gulps

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1562937920289329158?s=20&t=JLqC8Ogpvt8E1ChctEggBQ

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

an actual frog posted:

no worries, im just riding the Casandra wave of knowing that a strong and empowered regulator like CARB is the only option but also that CARB isn't powerful enough to actually drag us across the finish line and also that Democrats will certainly sabotage the climate programs in the name of "winning elections."

like arguably we should be making more long term choices, but in our current sociopolitical structure we don't make long term choices, we make long term lies. Ending final gasoline vehicle sales in 2035 isn't as fast as it should be, but its also probably as realistic as CARB can make it within their limited fiefdom. But actually laying down a line in the sand, saying that the world will change, and that you can't do something because of those changes; that's a huge leap from the normal cowardice we get. So of course I expect it to be dismantled by Gavin and pals, but its a glimpse at what the world could look like, a reality beyond our current decline.

and agree completely on EVs not being a savior. but on the flip side, our car culture is so decadent that we could have 20-40% of the fleet as EVs and still be able to justly collapse down towards a non-personally-owned-vehicle car culture world and still make use of all those EVs. even those lovely teslas can be converted to last mile delivery, or accessability, or rural microtransit, etc til they blow up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

has anyone thought of changing what is officially considered dangerous? maybe if we raise it a few degrees then most of the world will be spared