Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
My boss asked me if I want to attend a training session, then loaded me up with meetings during that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Salami Surgeon posted:

My boss asked me if I want to attend a training session, then loaded me up with meetings during that time.

"Sorry, can't attend, I have training"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Thomamelas posted:

All of security is about two things. Buying time, or trying to convince the other side that this space is too difficult to gently caress with. You use layered approaches, and different things for different threats. But there is no defensive 'I win!' button. And you have limits before what you do renders the location unfit for purpose or you run out of money. Or you make the place unsafe. As much as you plan, the other side can go bigger. I can make it so you can't break down a door with your body. But if someone wants to drive a bulldozer through it, there are limits to what I can do.

Well in this case there kinda is, unfortunately the methods employed by every other country on the planet won't work in America for stupid freedom reasons, so :shrug:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Salami Surgeon posted:

I had a mandatory training session on the company’s new interview process scheduled a couple of weeks ago

I couldn’t attend it in the end because they needed me to conduct an interview

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Thomamelas posted:

But there is no defensive 'I win!' button.

I can think of one

Edit: Goddamnit Outrail :argh:

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

I had a mandatory training session on the company’s new interview process scheduled a couple of weeks ago

I couldn’t attend it in the end because they needed me to conduct an interview

I got some sideye for missing a mandatory training about supporting my employees mental health.

The reason for missing it was there was an incident that really needed me to go on site to support my employees mental health lol.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

If I ever had an active shooter drill with actors and poo poo I'd probably quit. That's loving insane. I don't think I can ever live in the US again. WTF

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Scientastic posted:

I can think of one

Edit: Goddamnit Outrail :argh:

:freep:

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Outrail posted:

Well in this case there kinda is, unfortunately the methods employed by every other country on the planet won't work in America for stupid freedom reasons, so :shrug:

For school shootings that would help dramatically. But as a security consultant, it's not in my toolkit. If I could snap a finger and gun control happens then we wouldn't be having this discussion. I would have snapped my fingers years ago. Getting that done is a process. And it won't be fast. It's doable, just no one wants to do it.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Snap your fingers, snap your neck

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Escape From Noise posted:

(On the giant slide)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

I'm sick of this tyranny of choice.

Neck

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

If I ever had an active shooter drill with actors and poo poo I'd probably quit. That's loving insane. I don't think I can ever live in the US again. WTF
My workplace did the run/hide/fight video for active shooter training. Thankfully they aren’t crazy enough to consider this.

At some point a company is going to do this and an employee is going to feel backed into a corner and beat/stab/shoot the actor.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
There was a Futurama episode about this very thing

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I would like to let everyone know that I am taking lunch now, thanks

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The active shooter training I'm used to consulting in warehouses is a xeroxed xeroxed xeroxed form reminding me not to let strangers in the building followed by 18pt font listing "Run Hide Fight."

Paying a militia chud to fire blanks, that costs money. What a luxury.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Lunch today is CANCELLED for everyone. Get back to work

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

secular woods sex posted:

My workplace did the run/hide/fight video for active shooter training. Thankfully they aren’t crazy enough to consider this.

At some point a company is going to do this and an employee is going to feel backed into a corner and beat/stab/shoot the actor.

It's something some police departments force schools to do. Most of the time it's just the teachers but on rare occasions they will do it with students. It's almost always Sheriff departments doing that poo poo because they attract whack-jobs like poo poo attracts more poo poo.

Personally I'm a big fan of due process but I'm okay with very one pushing for ALICE training getting a bullet to the back of the head.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I ate some leftover Chinese at like 10:30, sorry I forgot to mention it to everyone. But I’m eating mini tacos now so I’ll call this lunch.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
My work had the town PD over yesterday for training. Apparently to know the layout in case there's ever an 'incident'?
IDK, the corporate emails were not clear on this

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

"Sorry, can't attend, I have training"

I can't tell if he's passive aggressively telling me I can't take the training or if he's dumb. It's project management training, and I'm an IC. But they want ICs to be their own PMs maybe it's important?

The meetings he scheduled instead are projects I'll need to manage.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Salami Surgeon posted:

I can't tell if he's passive aggressively telling me I can't take the training or if he's dumb. It's project management training, and I'm an IC. But they want ICs to be their own PMs maybe it's important?

The meetings he scheduled instead are projects I'll need to manage.

This is your first lesson in project management. Your personal needs come first and you set the schedule as the PM.

gently caress those kick-offs, you need the training (and free lunch/ability to gently caress off on your phone while some consulting lecturer teaches people how to use MS project).

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Don't worry. I already know how to fill out a Gantt chart and move all of today's due dates to sometime next month.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

get an email from a vendor basically saying "hey assholes, either pay me or I'm ripping out the AC unit I installed at noon tomorrow."

pinged my supervisor, no response for a half hour. said gently caress it and paid the bill on amex, $5k.

within 5 minutes the vp of finance is asking if the payment was approved. I say no but getting yelled at is better than losing our reputation with a large customer. also the last emergency check request took 2 days to finalize and we almost lost the job because of it.

"we will be discussing this further next week."

"Look forward to it, always available on teams." Smiley face.

she was offline 30 seconds later

I like to think I pissed her off so bad she slammed her laptop closed.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

I think I'm going to head off to lunch around noon today

Salami Surgeon posted:

I'm out to lunch

toplitzin posted:

I'm finishing my lunch up now.

TotalLossBrain posted:

I thought I was done with lunch, but it's coming back up just now.

etc...

You guys think you're being funny, but:

:negative:

Also holy poo poo that shooter drill. Enslave all managers, but enslave THOSE managers in particular.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I like to think that's all one person doing nothing but going to lunch all day :allears:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I'm the guy liking all the posts.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

McGavin posted:

I'm the guy liking all the posts.

That has to come somewhere after "organise paperclips" and "stare out of window for ten straight minutes".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Atopian posted:

That has to come somewhere after "organise paperclips" and "stare out of window for ten straight minutes".

Nah, those are invisible. This is "engagement" so it's WAY more kiss rear end than those other two.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Or it's the "boss" confirming that poo poo which is it's own level of pathetic.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I'm 2 weeks out from my previous (academic) job, 1.5 at my new job, and have gotten 4 emails and counting from my previous coworkers asking me stuff that I very clearly either explained, or told them where I saved that information :allears:

Meanwhile my new job is basically cGMP compliant and I loving. love. it.

Why yes, I do want to document the exact pipette ID I used for every dilution, give me ALL THE PAPERWORK AND COMPLIANCE FORMS. GIVE IT TO ME. PLEASE SIR MAY I HAVE ANOTHER

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm 2 weeks out from my previous (academic) job, 1.5 at my new job, and have gotten 4 emails and counting from my previous coworkers asking me stuff that I very clearly either explained, or told them where I saved that information :allears:

Please tell me you're just responding with a link to sad trombone?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Salami Surgeon posted:

Something similar to this happens to us every year. HR/Safety institutes online courses we have to take, but we're explicitly not allowed to do them on overtime. Of course p much everyone already has 40+ billable hours of work to do a week, so you can't do them per policy. You couple this with everyone getting a paycut when they bill nonbillable hours (75% of wage) and even people who probably could afford the time to do them just find literally anything else to do instead for full pay. It's just a never ending back and forth battle where it's super obvious the corporate admins just want us to do the training but not put it on our timecard while our local boss just tosses up his hands and goes "well what do you want us to do, they have other things they can actually bill for to do and that's how we make our money, and of course pay for you admins".

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

I'm gonna go take a quick poo poo just FYI y'all

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Brb, lubing

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

ben shapino posted:

We had a team meeting once where a dude went to take a piss and didn't mute his mic.

He had the decency to sing while pissing to mask the noise.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I made what I hope is the worst decision I'll make all year yesterday. I'd checked all the rain maps the day before and it was clear that the longer we were out, the wetter we'd get. I finished job #1 just before lunchtime and while the sky was very grey, it wasn't raining. So I consulted the rain radar, saw a gap, did just enough of job #2 to become hopelessly committed, and spent the next 3 hours without respite in driving rain. It was a boundary dispute and one of the neighbors was literally sobbing in the rain over social media posts they'd been making.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Jaguars! posted:

I made what I hope is the worst decision I'll make all year yesterday. I'd checked all the rain maps the day before and it was clear that the longer we were out, the wetter we'd get. I finished job #1 just before lunchtime and while the sky was very grey, it wasn't raining. So I consulted the rain radar, saw a gap, did just enough of job #2 to become hopelessly committed, and spent the next 3 hours without respite in driving rain. It was a boundary dispute and one of the neighbors was literally sobbing in the rain over social media posts they'd been making.

What time did you take lunch?

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.

ben shapino posted:

We need to make sure you weren't just in there on your phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Johnny Truant posted:

'Any requests for post-employment contracting will be invoiced at $150/hr', minimum 2 hours per request. Do you accept?'

Attached a quote for services.