Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Slow cookers are amazing if you're a morning person or just exhausted in the evenings. Lob everything in the pot before work or at lunch and slam it on to be ready for the evening. I do a lot of curries and pasta dishes which only need rice or pasta to be prepared before dinner.

If you're a meat eater, they're meant to be great for preparing cheap meat too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

e: I'm dumb

e2: https://twitter.com/LizTruss_MP/status/1562741657790861312

e3: Some actual content: https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1562420611283947524

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Aug 25, 2022

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Instant pots are great, we got rid of our big oven and do almost everything in the instant pot with a hot plate and a countertop oven for the odd things that need them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
boycottMarksandSpencer is trending, but it's not for anything to do with their actual employment or sourcing, just normal island being normal again

https://twitter.com/SloaneFragment/status/1562758105699475456

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
What did marks and Spencer do, or not do?

No I'm not going on twitter to find out, Ew.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Mega Comrade posted:

What did marks and Spencer do, or not do?

No I'm not going on twitter to find out, Ew.

They have unisex fitting rooms. That’s literally it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah they clarified that their policy (which has been in place for at least 3 years) is to allow people to use the changing rooms in the clothing area that they are most comfortable with, and that all changing cubicles are single occupancy and have locks.

Unfortunately for them they clarified to someone fishing for controversy and so the non issue has turned into "M&S will genderize your children" in bigot twitter

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I feel like m&s has always had unisex fitting rooms.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Basically in a shop mainly used by the old, Terfs want to stop a husband going in to help his elderly wife. Or for that matter a carer who happens to be male.

Same applies when you switch the genders but terfs on the whole don't give a gently caress about trans men.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

sebzilla posted:

Instant pots are great, we got rid of our big oven and do almost everything in the instant pot with a hot plate and a countertop oven for the odd things that need them.

Nearly the same myself; Ninja pot & a single hotplate from Argos (sister set my cooker on fire so i had to adapt).

Just have to learn how to bake in the Ninja and i'll be back to normal.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I've played enough Revenge of Shinobi to know that having a ninja pot in your kitchen is asking for trouble.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah they clarified that their policy (which has been in place for at least 3 years) is to allow people to use the changing rooms in the clothing area that they are most comfortable with, and that all changing cubicles are single occupancy and have locks.

Yeah but imagine ever being in a locked room that someone of another gender has used previously. Doesn't bear thinking about imo.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

I've played enough Revenge of Shinobi to know that having a ninja pot in your kitchen is asking for trouble.

Getting this good takes AGES

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Do any of these Twitter transphobes ever step away from the keyboard and actually go into a shop? I thought unisex fitting rooms were completely standard almost everywhere.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Meanwhile check out this legend https://twitter.com/LaurenJTownsend/status/1562717578765942786?t=b6hisApCF8USK72NnG_7GQ&s=19

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Well, today I learned that powered surfboards exist

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Does that make him a picket boat?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Noxville posted:

They have unisex fitting rooms. That’s literally it.

You know , the term snowflake is thrown around a lot but jfc.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Kieth is busy handing these out to hacks at Westminster apparently. The nation freezing is all a big jolly PR joke.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Managing to do it on the one day where the weather isn't hot enough to appreciate the lolly is kind of impressive as well.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

big scary monsters posted:

Do any of these Twitter transphobes ever step away from the keyboard and actually go into a shop? I thought unisex fitting rooms were completely standard almost everywhere.

A big part of terfery is reframing the way things are and have been for years as terrifying changes that are just around the corner

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tarnop posted:

A big part of terfery is reframing the way things are and have been for years as terrifying changes that are just around the corner

they have girls playing football and boys playing rounders it's transing the children deborah

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

the gender neutral bathroom is coming from inside the house

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Gort posted:

Well, today I learned that powered surfboards exist

You mean you've never watched Storage Wars or Pawn Stars or Lock Up Skirmishes or whatever it is? (usually on just after Ancient aliens on Blaze).
I'm shocked!
They found the very thing from the 1950s just this very week!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Tarnop posted:

Yes like with this they/them thing. I've used it for decades because it's a heck of a lot less clumsy than having to write "he or she" "his or her's" "him or her".

And most small clothes shops just have a single changing room such as our local Peacocks. Our local pool has individual cubicles not separated (though there are two large communal ones divided by sex and predominantly used by schools). I find a communal changing room traumatising even if it is all girls but not an individual cubicle even if one of those strange men people have been in it before me.

When I lived in Cairo (don't yawn) there was something going round that Muslim women shouldn't change in front of non-Muslim women in case the non-Muslim women went and told Men what the Muslim women looked like in their state of undress.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Since we're talking cookers does anyone know why the hell I can't find an electric one with an eye level grill? Every time I think I've found one and click through it's actually a gas one.

Why does nobody want eye level grills any more except me?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think nowadays those are usually achieved by mounting the cooker in a unit, so the oven is high up as well. I've never seen a freestanding one with a grill at the top since my grandmother's one she had when I was a kid, they're all either just the bottom bit (possibly with a second oven/grill) or built-ins.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Induction is good. I used to think I wanted gas but I've got an induction now and honestly it does 90% of the job of gas (really it's just not as good with woks and that's the only deficiency), but has other benefits like being super-easy to clean, boiling quicker (I think quicker than gas even), more energy-efficient, and not releasing nasty particulates into your inside air.

Also I think like OwlFancier says, ovens with a grill up top are archaic now.

I'll tell you I'm jealous looking at UK ovens and hobs. Prices in Canada are loving ridiculous. Seems you can get a NEFF induction hob for like £300 but a no-name induction hob in Canada starts at $750ish (about £500) and if you want a name-brand one $1100 (£720). loving joke.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah they're trending towards putting the oven in units at a nice reaching height (a lot better for handling hot things without bending) and then having a little toaster oven/grill thing on top at eye height.

You can get salamanders (separate small electric grills) more often used in commercial kitchens if you really want to add an eye height electric grill, 70s British Gas oven style.

OwlFancier posted:

:golfclap:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think honestly for the kind of people who mostly buy cookers, i.e landlords and homeowners, the idea of an all in one great big sheet metal thing with a massive void over the hobs and included splashback is pretty unappealing. Everyone wants the fancy tile or brushed steel splashbacks built into the wall, with an extractor hood. Having the cooker, grill, splashback and extractor all be the same appliance sounds like a recipe for trouble if one of them breaks and doesn't at all work with fitted kitchens of varying heights.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

And you don't need "special" pants for induction, in the sense of being obscure and expensive. We have Ikea 365 saucepans and they're great.

E: that should say pans but I'm not changing it

Technology Connections here with water boiling comparisons between kettle, gas and induction (North America)

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

When I lived in Cairo (don't yawn) there was something going round that Muslim women shouldn't change in front of non-Muslim women in case the non-Muslim women went and told Men what the Muslim women looked like in their state of undress.

This sounds like a very weird version of the court sketch people, who have to dash out and draw the participants from memory.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You may not need special pants but you should wear pants when cooking unless you like sizzling your business when you fry. And depending on how often you customarily wear pants then your cooking pants may qualify as special.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Bobstar posted:

And you don't need "special" pants for induction

You should wear pants no matter how you're cooking, especially if oil is involved.

efb

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If you vote Labour Jeremy Corbyn will force you to buy a 1970s all in one oven that will splash your kitchen
- Conservative Party (UK) @Conservatives

BETTER THAN TODAYS WOKE OVENS WITH 15 GENDER SETTINGs
- BREXIT #treason #stopboats @dave654987218

Kitchens should be women only spaces
- Gamete Greer #womenwontwheesht @RealBioFeminist

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Funnily when I was perusing pictures of old cookers there was a daily mail article from 2018 about a lady who had "the oldest working gas cooker in britain" and all I was thinking was lmao not sure edging ronan pointing yourself should be a mark of pride.

My grandmother ended up with my mum's old electric when she moved and we passed it on again when she died, but they don't explode, albeit I dunno how well you could cook with it because all the numbers and markings had worn off the dials. Still worked fine you just have to guess all the controls, which was fine for my grandmother but god help the poor lass we gave it to.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

WhatEvil posted:

Induction is good. I used to think I wanted gas but I've got an induction now and honestly it does 90% of the job of gas (really it's just not as good with woks and that's the only deficiency), but has other benefits like being super-easy to clean, boiling quicker (I think quicker than gas even), more energy-efficient, and not releasing nasty particulates into your inside air.

I believe even an electric stove boils faster than gas when tested.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Runcible Cat posted:

Since we're talking cookers does anyone know why the hell I can't find an electric one with an eye level grill? Every time I think I've found one and click through it's actually a gas one.

Why does nobody want eye level grills any more except me?

Had to google that, never seen one of those before.

Now I'd like a wood fired stove like my grandma had. Particularly this coming winter!

I think I will have to make a trivet or something for the masonry heater.

Oct 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/JMPSimor/status/1562332889060151296

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

in this house the women poo poo upstairs and the men poo poo downstairs and the non-binaries poo poo on the half-landing but they have to shovel it out the window they/themself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Hey what if you just want people to get what they vote for? Is that Accelerationism? Can that not be just a strongly held belief in Freedom And Democracy?

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 25, 2022