Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
I have been that soldier :respek:

xzzy posted:

I had someone get a little huffy with me when I pronounced it "n geenks" and yet they call the database "my sequel" so basically IT people are impossible to work with.
I refuse to call it anything other than "misquil". Makes it sound like I'm on a quest to find cough syrup in Rivendell or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Ess Queue Elle

I work with enough guys from France and Holland that it just makes sense to use canonical product terms

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Internet Explorer posted:

In my very first interview in IT, they were asking if I had any experience with "sequel" and I had no idea what they were talking about. I had only ever read the term SQL. It was quite embarrassing.
I worked for Oracle, and everybody calls it "S-Q-L".

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Today
Client: "here's a link to a post on the nginx forums that says nginx doesn't have that vulnerability".

:smithicide:

y'all don't say it "ngix"?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I go with sequel when it's MSSQL and it's ess-queue-ell all other times.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Update on the 486, it was indeed just old-rear end chromatography data from 1995 that was already imported into Empower years ago. Took an image of the hard disk and chucked it in PCem just in case.

They're letting me keep it so I guess I'm building that retro gaming system after all.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

i always wanted to pronounce SQL as squirrel or squeal, but i lacked the gumption to commit to the bit

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I’ve been hearing SWG pronounced as swig by people at my new job. 8 years of working at least adjacent to them and that’s a first.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

People at work call WFM "whiffum"

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

GreenBuckanneer posted:

y'all don't say it "ngix"?
I don't say it at all. One of the perks of remote work and dealing with everything via email.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Thanks, I hate it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

I don't say it at all. One of the perks of remote work and dealing with everything via email.

Not even in your head?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Absolutely not

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Not even in your head?

My inner voice just kind of garbles words and acronyms I don't know how to say.

"So I was talking to John from WFM the other day"
becomes
"So I was talking to John from wklmfr the other day"

Yet that garbled nonsense becomes identifiable by my brain as meaning "WFM".

This is very useful for reading fantasy novels. Insert meme about "find the difference between these two pictures" and one is the word "ta'veren" and the other is "taflmnka?"

They're the same picture.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Internet Explorer posted:

In my very first interview in IT, they were asking if I had any experience with "sequel" and I had no idea what they were talking about. I had only ever read the term SQL. It was quite embarrassing.

This happened to me quite often early in my career. I spent the first decade being the only IT guy and a primarily self-taught IT guy at that. It was 100% on the job training and I would build things and configure things while reading things, and since there was no one to collaborate with I never spoke the words aloud nor learned what the concepts were even called.

"Data warehouse?" never heard of it. But I did build a big database that contained a whole bunch of data from various sources, creating a one-stop shop for all of your reporting needs.

"Multi-tier architecture?" No idea what that is. But I created our web site stack that had a bunch of web servers behind a load balancer that connected to a MSSQL failover cluster.

PCMCIA? those credit card network adapters. "skuzzy...?" Oh you mean S.C.S.I.? "See-kwil...?" Oh S.Q.L.?

And .gif? You mean jif?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

One of my professors had a dog named SCSI and it's the only acceptable use for that name.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Absolutely not

I was very confused when they said the couldn't log into whiffum

Then they showed me their Infor link and I'm like. Oh.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Not even in your head?
I rarely come across it TBH. I gently caress up the frontend and probably know what kind of DB you're running, but I barely ever pay attention to the specific webserver unless I've managed to upload a shell and I want to try pop it.

Agrikk posted:

"skuzzy...?" Oh you mean S.C.S.I.?
This one got my in my first tech internship.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Agrikk posted:

And .gif? You mean jif?

Gif is pronounced with a soft g. You do not jive a jift of a JIF jif, you give the gift of a JIF gif.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Migrating a client's on-prem Exchange 2010 to 365. They spent the first 8 weeks constantly gatekeeping who we could migrate and when, and now they don't understand why it's taking so long. gently caress off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've done that exactly once, and the scope of the job turned into "fix this badly degraded Exchange 2010 environment so you can get it to a version that can hybrid with Exchange Online" and it doubled the amount of time we budgeted for.

On environments that old now I'd just assume they'd been neglected (because why else are you still on 2010?) and do a cutover with something like MigrationWiz.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

Migrating a client's on-prem Exchange 2010 to 365. They spent the first 8 weeks constantly gatekeeping who we could migrate and when, and now they don't understand why it's taking so long. gently caress off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rip ur sanity I guess

We've finally convinced a client, the same one with the 486, to migrate from Exchange 2010 to 365 after spending nearly a week without OWA or ActiveSync. Fortunately I won't have to do the migration myself.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Bargearse posted:

rip ur sanity I guess

We've finally convinced a client, the same one with the 486, to migrate from Exchange 2010 to 365 after spending nearly a week without OWA or ActiveSync. Fortunately I won't have to do the migration myself.

We finally got them to do it because they are a large healthcare client and their cyber insurance company told them they could gently caress off if they kept using exchange 2010

edit: cant wait for their insurer to find the Windows 98 tower in the basement running their entire pbx system

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Lol we have a 33 year old pbx they refuse to replace because they spent millions on it back then and it still works.

I wish I could bash whoever made the phrase if it's not broke don't fix it

It's a piece of poo poo gently caress you!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Lol we have a 33 year old pbx they refuse to replace because they spent millions on it back then and it still works.

Is it time for it to have an accident? :v:

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The company I'm working with spends obscene amounts of money fighting everyone else on ebay with a 30 year old system for relevant Avaya parts that aren't manufactured anymore. We can't even get the loving phones anymore. It's really absurd

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah it's all onprem stuff because fedramp bullshit and companies now want to move to the cloud, best I've been able to beg for is a local voip setup where the pbx passes the call to the new voip setup like a handoff and the actual data/features I want are in the new environment. But I don't have it yet...

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Our radio repeater from 1988 finally died last month when they exhausted the world’s supply of replacement parts and were currently in the process of buying radio technology from this millennium which will be nice.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

Our radio repeater from 1988 finally died last month when they exhausted the world’s supply of replacement parts and were currently in the process of buying radio technology from this millennium which will be nice.

Figure out what component is dead and replace the component. Soldering isn’t difficult!

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

duffmensch posted:

Wells Fargo did basically the same thing to me and tried to send me to collections more than a year after I had closed the account.

I only found out when it was resold to another collection agency and it oddly never appeared on my credit report before or after I heard about it.

Wells Fargo can :fuckoff:

Add me to the list of those who got screwed by Wells Fargo back in the day. Thought I had closed my account. Spent three hours with a "banker" working through the process of begging me to stay and declining all their add-on services. Walked out of the building with a cashier's check for the entire balance and deposited it in a new bank that actually paid interest.

Got a call three months later from Wells Fargo yelling at me for not doing anything about the negative balance in my account from all the fees they applied after I had supposedly closed it.

The whole company can EABOD.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

We finally got them to do it because they are a large healthcare client and their cyber insurance company told them they could gently caress off if they kept using exchange 2010

edit: cant wait for their insurer to find the Windows 98 tower in the basement running their entire pbx system

Healthcare providers and pharmaceutical companies are especially bad about keeping antiquated tech in use way past end-of-life.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

KillHour posted:

One of my professors had a dog named SCSI and it's the only acceptable use for that name.

Long, long time ago, we were getting a company vehicle so our IT group could deliver equipment and such. A vote was put out for custom license plates. The #1 pick was SCSIBUS. The manager in charge of this said no, he wouldn't drive a vehicle that said that and went with an option he picked. As far as I know, in the years we had that vehicle, he never once drove it.

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
I'm on probation and no longer allowed to do home office because the higher ups think I'm not working at home. Jokes on you guys, I don't do more in the office either.

While I'm only mildly annoyed by that the thing that pisses me off is deeply rooted in german work culture. You guys are sometimes listed for a reference we have something similar and it is compulsory for an employer to write one and for you to add it into the application: An Arbeitszeugnis, which is some silly piece of paper written by HR which is a evaluation of your work. With german HRs love for these things a single spiteful employer can torpedo your chances at a new job. Guess who just got told to work more else it's bad evaluation time.

Stop loving around and fire me already, ffs. I could use a few months of unemployment money.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
poo poo on someone's desk.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

trying to help my direct reports set up a bunch of laptops in a hurry. these loving windows 11 machines will provision from removable media approx. 1 out of every 3 times correctly. It just sits at the "You can remove your removable media now!" screen and doesn't trigger the next stage. gently caress you microsoft!!!!!!!!

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

poo poo on someone's desk.

Probably best to avoid that on a working from home day.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mr. Fix It posted:

i always wanted to pronounce SQL as squirrel or squeal, but i lacked the gumption to commit to the bit

I once named a robot squirrel pet in a game "mySQrL" and had more than one person remark in the vein of "thanks I hate it" which always made me grin like an idiot.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

logging into my corporate network with my vuh-pnn

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

FlapYoJacks posted:

Figure out what component is dead and replace the component. Soldering isn’t difficult!

It got hit by lightning bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

It got hit by lightning bro

:smith: